Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM
VFC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by otdl View Post

i thought of all that while i was mounting mine. tried not to grasp it to much on the edges. Its a shame these arent more reliable. im just lucky so far i have zero big complaints. In a perfect world the consumer wouldnt have these worries after spending 2K on a TV.

Large flat-panel TVs are one of the most fragile consumer products. Demand for the display technology is way ahead of a reliable "shipping & consumer proof" design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 PM

How do you get the Pandora App on the 835U? The box and the description says that is has it, but I can't seem to find it. It it not list in the APPS section.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
VFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementfbl114 View Post

Haha, I completely agree with you. I really wonder how many are really recycled... That's why i feel that it may be better to contact Sharp directly instead of going through Amazon, but then I hear of the replacement panels likely having more issues.

If you follow aaronwalker's posts he has used and returned two Samsung D8000s and two Sharp 835Us in the past few weeks. He is currently waiting for his 5th TV. Imagine if everyone returned four sets for each one they kept. Either the seller has to absorb the loss of four Open Box discounts or they resell them as new and perpetuate the recycling of "new" TVs with problems.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 AM

I just received my 52" 835U yesterday and set it up. There is some clouding when switching inputs, I don't really notice anything when I am watching a video source. I did notice last night when I was watching a dark scene, the picture was sort of pixelated in some areas.

Also I am not that impressed with the picture. My five year old 37" Phillips seemed to produce a much better picture. I have tried all the settings stated in this post but still can't seem to get the picture right. I am still going to play with it alittle but this set might be going back.

I bought it from Amazon FYI.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post

If you follow aaronwalker's posts he has used and returned two Samsung D8000s and two Sharp 835Us in the past few weeks. He is currently waiting for his 5th TV. Imagine if everyone returned four sets for each one they kept. Either the seller has to absorb the loss of four Open Box discounts or they resell them as new and perpetuate the recycling of "new" TVs with problems.

Yea, that's one reason I want to give my tv a full month to see how everything works out. I really hate to hurt Amazon since they have always treated me so well (ex: my receiver's fan quit working after the 30 day exchange/return policy, and they over-nighted me a new one with no questions asked).

But I've noticed something strange, the clouding has started to shift upwards and becoming less noticeable. I'm going to be taking daily pictures for proof to make sure I'm not just going crazy. And I am beginning to wonder if the clouding is actually caused by not enough pressure in those spots instead of to much like I have been reading. I slightly pushed on the back of the TV where the plastic was a little thinner and easier to flex, and the clouding would go away until I let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore9700 View Post

I just received my 52" 835U yesterday and set it up. There is some clouding when switching inputs, I don't really notice anything when I am watching a video source. I did notice last night when I was watching a dark scene, the picture was sort of pixelated in some areas.

Also I am not that impressed with the picture. My five year old 37" Phillips seemed to produce a much better picture. I have tried all the settings stated in this post but still can't seem to get the picture right. I am still going to play with it alittle but this set might be going back.

Do you have the 240 hz enabled? That causes some very strange pixelation when I first turned on my tv. I've been switching back and forth between 120hz low and high and can't really tell a difference.

I really like the settings on page 6, all I had to do was lower the brightness a little. But then again, just because settings on one TV looks great, doesn't mean it will look good on another TV of the same brand/model.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore9700 View Post

i noticed when playing with the setting on the 60" 835U the picture was different depending on the channel and source. broadcast TV is horrible to judge. some channels look better then other and some programs on same channels look different.

What is wrong with the picture? i set mine up last night using the settings from the 1st page and im only keeping the movie mode settings. i noticed that the game mode default settings looked great. tonight ill watch Tron and transformers to see how these work with movies. if i have bad clouding issues ill def notice it watchign Tron
Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
VFC

Quote:

.... But I've noticed something strange, the clouding has started to shift upwards and becoming less noticeable. I'm going to be taking daily pictures for proof to make sure I'm not just going crazy. And I am beginning to wonder if the clouding is actually caused by not enough pressure in those spots instead of to much like I have been reading. I slightly pushed on the back of the TV where the plastic was a little thinner and easier to flex, and the clouding would go away until I let go. ........

No need to take daily pictures; you are crazy. lol.

I suspect you have a shifting back-lit filter panel. The heating-cooling cycle, each time you use your TV, may be causing the panel to warp/relax slightly. You could be lucky if it is warping back into proper shape. Hopefully the clouding will go away before they take you away in a straight jacket. lol.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post

No need to take daily pictures; you are crazy. lol.

I suspect you have a shifting back-lit filter panel. The heating-cooling cycle, each time you use your TV, may be causing the panel to warp/relax slightly. You could be lucky if it is warping back into proper shape. Hopefully the clouding will go away before they take you away in a straight jacket. lol.

haha, thanks. Buying new expensive toys always drives me insane for the first few months until I fix all of the issues or learn to accept them
Old 08-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:

haha, thanks. Buying new expensive toys always drives me insane for the first few months until I fix all of the issues or learn to accept them

i am the same way. ordered 60" and some new polk monitor speakers and center and spent last 3 days wiring and mounting..have only watched 1hr of TV so far..
Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:

i noticed when playing with the setting on the 60" 835U the picture was different depending on the channel and source. broadcast TV is horrible to judge. some channels look better then other and some programs on same channels look different.

What is wrong with the picture? i set mine up last night using the settings from the 1st page and im only keeping the movie mode settings. i noticed that the game mode default settings looked great. tonight ill watch Tron and transformers to see how these work with movies. if i have bad clouding issues ill def notice it watchign Tron

I just can't seem to get the colors right, even on a blu ray it doesn't look right. I am going to keep playing with the settings to try to get it right.

Has anyone used Shape Live support to help? I read that they can connect to the TV and set up the picture setting for the best picture.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Just received a notice that update 300U1107201 is available. Updating my TV now. No idea what changes are in the update.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Hello, Just bought the LC60LE835U from B&H. The manual says to use "only" the Sharp wall mount... Those who have wall mounted, what VESA type is this set?

Thanks! I can't wait for this set, hopefully in time for Football!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:02 PM

Long time, no post!

So I kept my TV. Sharp fixed all the issues I had with the screen (clouding, yadda yadda). Enabling that Energy saving crap fixed it. I never came back to post due to me finally enjoying the set.

The TV updated yesterday though to like 300xxxxxxxxx firmware. Anyone know what this did?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedbones View Post

Hello, Just bought the LC60LE835U from B&H. The manual says to use "only" the Sharp wall mount... Those who have wall mounted, what VESA type is this set?

Thanks! I can't wait for this set, hopefully in time for Football!

Good question. Does anyone have a different wall and no problems? I have 300.00 articulating mount I've been using for years. I'd hate to have to replace it as it has tons of adjustments.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monnone View Post
Good question. Does anyone have a different wall and no problems? I have 300.00 articulating mount I've been using for years. I'd hate to have to replace it as it has tons of adjustments.
from the manual its 400x400 vesa. thats pretty standard. I have mine mounted on a cheetah articualting mount from amazon. ITS AWESOME. ill post pics when i get home tonight.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the info. This is my mount, it should work right?

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...-mount/VMAA26#
Old 08-19-2011, 07:51 AM

*Edit, my post duplicated for some reason...deleting this one.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM

yes that will work perfectly. i installed my mount with this:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-TW...3767430&sr=8-4

its a large TV. be gentle when adjusting swivel.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:

yes that will work perfectly. i installed my mount with this:

http://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-TW...3767430&sr=8-4

its a large TV. be gentle when adjusting swivel.

Great, thanks for the heads up. I have my mount installed with cables in the wall already. I really like the idea of that cable management system.

I'm pretty familiar with how the mount works as I've had three TV's mounted on it.

I'd disappointed though as my latest TV (which I loved), 60PX950 from LG was just hauled away, bought back from LG. It's a long story but after two internal panel replacements and a power supply to try to fix a dirty screen effect, they decided to simply refund me my money. Which means times to go shopping again, which can be exhaustive.

I'm usually a plasma guy but these LCD-LED TVs are getting better and better. I sat with a Samsung UN60D6400 at BB in a dark room for a while tweaking and really liked the picture. I'm just super nervous about the panel peeling as it seems to be common with Samsung's LCD-LED Tvs.

I haven't read anything like that with the LE835U. But I am seeing people disappointed with the edge clouding. How bad is that really? I haven't spent time with the TV yet but plan to soon.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monnone View Post

Great, thanks for the heads up. I have my mount installed with cables in the wall already. I really like the idea of that cable management system.

I'm pretty familiar with how the mount works as I've had three TV's mounted on it.

I'd disappointed though as my latest TV (which I loved), 60PX950 from LG was just hauled away, bought back from LG. It's a long story but after two internal panel replacements and a power supply to try to fix a dirty screen effect, they decided to simply refund me my money. Which means times to go shopping again, which can be exhaustive.

I'm usually a plasma guy but these LCD-LED TVs are getting better and better. I sat with a Samsung UN60D6400 at BB in a dark room for a while tweaking and really liked the picture. I'm just super nervous about the panel peeling as it seems to be common with Samsung's LCD-LED Tvs.

I haven't read anything like that with the LE835U. But I am seeing people disappointed with the edge clouding. How bad is that really? I haven't spent time with the TV yet but plan to soon.

initially i was going to purchase the thin samsung D series. those are beautiful but its a huge gamble with the clouding issues on thsoe sets. Every other post is somebody saying the techs not ready and the clouding is bad. When i saw the set in BB it looked beautiful but of course BB would only put their best sets on display.

IMO the sharp is a much better deal overall. tho its still not a perfect set. Your less inclined it seems to have a really bad purchase.

last night i watched Tron 3D and everything looked great (3D is still kinda lame but looks OK) i didnt notice any clouding and that movie is 80% black skies dark backgrounds. the only time i can notice clouding is when im changing inputs or theres a HDMI problem with receiver and then its noticable but not bad. 835U isnt as thin as samsung but still looks great and i havent noticed any input lag with my xbox. Colors were perfect once i used the new settings.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Good to know, thanks!!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:37 PM

Hmm... The clouding is starting to annoy me more now after almost having it for a week. Trying to decide if I should get a replacement or try out a plasma...
Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Hmm... The clouding is starting to annoy me more now after almost having it for a week. Trying to decide if I should get a replacement or try out a plasma...

Get a plasma, the new Samsung ones are fantastic. Clouding is an issue that should not arise these days. I experienced t myself in 2007 with a bravia since then i've bought a Pz800 and a kuro with no annoying problems.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert81 View Post

Get a plasma, the new Samsung ones are fantastic. Clouding is an issue that should not arise these days. I experienced t myself in 2007 with a bravia since then i've bought a Pz800 and a kuro with no annoying problems.

Samsung bought back my PN58C8000 (2010 model) plasma because it was generating almost 120 degrees of heat in two places on the back----heat just rolled out the top vents. Great picture but the Worlds most expensive space heater. I checked the new 59D8000 at the TV & appliance store where I purchased the 835 and it was also very hot.

I'm happy with my 60 inch 835 and don't have to worry about burn in or image retention.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 PM

The Ugly

I had to exchange my 46" twice to get a set with acceptable cloudiness. Note, if you get one that has none - you are lucky

The Bad

TV occasionally locks up when using the Netflix App.

Tuning the TV was a MoFo

Clouds are only apparent in extreme dark scenes, channel changes and if you get a decent set (and tune it) you will not notice it 99% of the time.

The Good

I have had the TV (on and off) for over 3 months now. I can say that one of the reasons that I bought a Sharp was based on their customer service reputation. Although it was a Pain in my A** - they replaced both sets. Having a problem with your new electronics is quite a depressing thing when you are trying to tune out the clouds at 3AM!! Follow that up with some bad customer service and you lose a customer for life... but Sharp took care it for me.

I feel as though I have this baby tuned about as good as I can get it. Note that I will turn the active contrast or OPC on/off depending on the the individual bluray or show that I am watching. This manages any poor blacks and the cloudiness to the point that I find acceptable.

The color and crispness is a joy to watch with the following settings. Note that I would not typically take the time out of my insanely busy schedule - but when the first set was a lemon this was the only place that I had to turn to and it did create a small sense of solace (thanks IMWS).

Try these - you will be glad that you did

Mode: Movie
OPC OFF (90% of the time)
BACKLIGHT +4
Contrast +29
Brightness 0
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
CMS HUE - R0,Y+7,G-4,C+3,B0,M-2
CMS SATURATION - R0,Y-6,G-5,C0,B0,M0
CMS VALUE - R-8,Y-2,G+7,C+3,B-5,M-5
Color Gamut Range: Standard
Color Temp - 10 Point Setting: ON <--this where the magic happens

Pos R G B
1 0 0 0
2 0 0 15
3 0 0 6
4 0 0 4
5 0 0 3
6 0 0 8
7 0 0 12
8 0 0 -3
9 0 0 -7
10 0 0 0

Motion Enhancement - 120 Low
Quad Pixel Plus - On
Active Contrast - Off
Gamma Adjustment -2
Film Mode Off
Digital Noise Reduction Low
Monochrome off
Range of OPC Max+4 Min -8 (when I turn it on)
Power Savings - Off

Again, you may want to mess around with some of the settings like DNR, motion enhancement, etc.

Last thing - I have the picture mode set to dot to dot (or something like that ) so commercials and standard TV doesn't look like crap.

Now you can enjoy that 835 peeps!!

If anyone wants to return the favor - let me know where I can get some inexpensive 3D glasses
Old 08-23-2011, 08:47 AM

I purchased a LC52LE830U several months ago, and have been struggling with it ever since. I tried several different calibration methods but could never get it quite right. Yesterday, I stumbled upon IMWS's settings in the early pages of this thread. The picture has never looked better. Thank you for sharing - you are a prince among men.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM

60" arrived today. I have to join popular opinion in saying, when the set looks good, it looks GREAT but holy mackrel you don't want to look at a solid black screen. For example, the AppleTV setup screen. I have awful color bleeding from the right side edge and clouding big time. BUT I knew that going into this set.

I was tempted to go with a 65" Vizio for nearly the same price. At that, I would've been expecting this terrible clouding & color bleeding, but shame on Sharp. This was an upgrade from a 52" LCoS DLP rear projection JVC. I even have a mediocre 46" LCD (backlit) Sony in my office that doesn't have anywhere close to this kind of clouding. Fortunately, my personal viewing for this set is primarily football games, some shows, the rare movie, and maybe some cartoons. Given that, it's an acceptable TV. I got the $1900 deal with two pairs of 3D glasses and a 3D blu-ray player but to be honest, I'd prefer they drop this set down to about $1500 and keep their gimmicks.

Pros: Excellent, vibrant colors and extremely thin with a flat back. Nice candidate for low profile wall mounting. It'll definitely give you that "picture frame" look, not the "Why is that LCD sticking 6" off the wall?" look. Decent apps, 3D, it starts up quickly

Cons: All black screens are a nightmare, very dark scenes will also have an issue. Cost is close enough to a higher end TV that some people should just spring for the extra cost if this is going to be the "showcase" of your home theater.

Overall: I'm happy with the set, but I had 12+ pages of this thread to set my expectations. Haven't and probably won't try 3D but glad I have 2 pairs of glasses for free. Can't speak to this 3D blu-ray as I already have a 3D Sony Blu-ray player.

My recommendation: If you watch a lot of dark scenes in a dark room this isn't the TV for you.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Update to my story. Got my replacement set today. It is replacing a set that had bad clouding. Freight company pulled it out of the box and the screen was warped. It was a concave shape. The curve was so bad that the front bezel was popped off in one place. I rejected the shipment and called Sharp back. They are setting up a replacement for my replacement.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwalker1974 View Post

Update to my story. Got my replacement set today. It is replacing a set that had bad clouding. Freight company pulled it out of the box and the screen was warped. It was a concave shape. The curve was so bad that the front bezel was popped off in one place. I rejected the shipment and called Sharp back. They are setting up a replacement for my replacement.

Yikes! Sounds like it sat in the heat. GL!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I'm enjoying the set quite a bit. I especially appreciate how flexible the media compatibility is on the USB port. My blu-ray will only play .MKV files off of a thumb drive, but this TV has played everything I've thrown at it so far! Various AVI & MPG formats. Nice touch!

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc40le835u Quattron 40 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread