Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monnone View Post

Yikes! Sounds like it sat in the heat. GL!

The delivery guys thought it was a "heat warp"........ On a side note, the customer service for Sharp is great. I am getting to know them really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedbones View Post

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I'm enjoying the set quite a bit. I especially appreciate how flexible the media compatibility is on the USB port. My blu-ray will only play .MKV files off of a thumb drive, but this TV has played everything I've thrown at it so far! Various AVI & MPG formats. Nice touch!

Anyone know if this can stream from DLNA?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwalker1974 View Post

Anyone know if this can stream from DLNA?

It can. i was able to connect it to my WHS Mediasmart but only a few files were shown and none would play. The manual is pretty vague on setting up the DLNA.

Its not a issue for me since i ahve a Boxee box handling all my non physical Media. Boxee Box works perfectly. So far set has been beautiful. tho the more i love it the more i notice clouding on blank screens between inputs. Nothing horrible just a Geeks eye nitpicking.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Are there any LC-XXLE830U Series owners lurking around this thread?

I have read that the only difference is the 3D capabilities, I was wondering if any one has used the settings from this thread on their 830U?

TWW clan
psn metafourik
Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking for a new TV and wanted to get some feedback from owners of the 60LE835u set. Generally speaking, what are the strengths, weaknesses and known issues with this particular Sharp line? Are you owners generally pleased with your product? Would you buy the same TV again and if not, why? How are the black levels on this unit? I don't know much about the new Sharp LED products and proffesional publication reviews are scarce/non-existent. I welcome any comments. I don't want to make a mistake by purchasing a subpar tv again!
Old 08-26-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweich12 View Post
I am looking for a new TV and wanted to get some feedback from owners of the 60LE835u set. Generally speaking, what are the strengths, weaknesses and known issues with this particular Sharp line? Are you owners generally pleased with your product? Would you buy the same TV again and if not, why? How are the black levels on this unit? I don't know much about the new Sharp LED products and proffesional publication reviews are scarce/non-existent. I welcome any comments. I don't want to make a mistake by purchasing a subpar tv again!
If I'm not mistaken a lot of your questions have been commented on or discussed in this thread.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr

If I'm not mistaken a lot of your questions have been commented on or discussed in this thread.
You know, after reading through several hundred posts on various Sharp models, it becomes a little tough to differentiate one model flaw vs. another. I posted the question as a an opportunity for someone to maybe recap here the most common issues, strengths and weaknesses for this particular model. I figure it would be best for someone who has been on the forum for a while, and has heard more than a few issues, to give their take on the set. So if this inconveniences anyone, I apologize. Surely this method is much better than starting a new thread.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 PM

This thread is already answers your question for the 835 since that is all it is for.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Got my replacement tv again. Sharp decided to upgrade me to a 60" so I took it. Clouding is not as bad as my old one. Only really noticeable part is the top left and bottom right but I think I'm going to stick to this one for a while and see if it might go away. Although my roommate said that the delivery dudes handled unpacking and setting up of the TV rather "roughly" so who knows.

Quote:
On a side note, the customer service for Sharp is great. I am getting to know them really well.
Haha. This. I've been also getting to know the delivery guys rather well. Same dudes delivered my first two replacements but roomie said different guys for my current one.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 PM

Hey, can anyone help me calibrate this thing? I mainly use it for Gaming and netfix. I could sure use the help. THanks

BTW how do I activate Game mode? Do I just cycle through the AV Mode till it gets to "Game" or is there something else I need to turn on?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r360r View Post

Hey, can anyone help me calibrate this thing? I mainly use it for Gaming and netfix. I could sure use the help. THanks

BTW how do I activate Game mode? Do I just cycle through the AV Mode till it gets to "Game" or is there something else I need to turn on?

thats exactly what you do. the colors will change after you change settings. On the first couple page are the settings i used as reference.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:

The delivery guys thought it was a "heat warp"........ On a side note, the customer service for Sharp is great. I am getting to know them really well.

I just took delivery of an LC60LE830u yesterday from Amazon. Overall very happy with my decision to purchase this set after reading throught this thread a few times.

What I am not happy with... I inspected the set carefully for damage before the delivery guys left, set it up and turned it on everything looked great. Naturally later I decided to start pouring over every inch of my new toy and I noticed a bow on the top right of the frame, most noticeable when looking down the the length of the tv from the right side. A 48" composite level placed against the front of the frame at the top reveals the right side bows back roughly .75" from the center. The left side appears to be "flat" within acceptable tolerances. The screen is not bowed quite as much relative to the frame. The right side of the screen has roughly a .5" bow from the center. The bow is isolated to the top right. Bottom is straight as an arrow within acceptable tolerances. I sent an email to Sharp customer support essentially stating the above and requesting a replacement.

Ironically the bowing does not seem to affect the picture at all. It just really bugs me that my $2k flat panel is not really flat.

My question to the group.... How many of you have sighted down the top of your set from side to side and felt comfortable it was "flat"?

How does the replacement process work with Sharp? Boxing this set back up is going to be a challenge.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM

Hopefully I can attach the professional calibration report to this thread.

The report is for the 60" but I used the settings slightly modified for my 46" below and was blown away by the true color depth. These settings also seem to help minimize the cloud issues that are seen when brightness and backlight is set too high.

Mode: Movie
OPC OFF (90% of the time)
BACKLIGHT +4
Contrast +29
Brightness 0
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
CMS HUE - R0,Y+7,G-4,C+3,B0,M-2
CMS SATURATION - R0,Y-6,G-5,C0,B0,M0
CMS VALUE - R-8,Y-2,G+7,C+3,B-5,M-5
Color Gamut Range: Standard
Color Temp - 10 Point Setting: ON <--this where the magic happens

Pos R G B
1 0 0 0
2 0 0 15
3 0 0 6
4 0 0 4
5 0 0 3
6 0 0 8
7 0 0 12
8 0 0 -3
9 0 0 -7
10 0 0 0

Motion Enhancement - 120 Low
Quad Pixel Plus - On
Active Contrast - Off
Gamma Adjustment -2
Film Mode Off
Digital Noise Reduction Low
Monochrome off
Range of OPC Max+4 Min -8 (when I turn it on)
Power Savings - Off

Attachment 221118

Sharp LC-60LE835U 3-7-11.pdf 488.744140625k . file
Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 AM

@otdl Thanks for that. I was looking all over the place for a setting to turn it on.

Next problem is I have a Tritton AX Pr headset that uses Optical. I plug it in the back but no sound comes out of the headset. How do I enable this? Config is HDMI (PS3 -> TV) Optical (Mix amp -> TV)
Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 AM

Sentrex,

Would you mind sharing the charge for a calibration like that?

thanks,
Old 08-29-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metafourik View Post

Are there any LC-XXLE830U Series owners lurking around this thread?

I have read that the only difference is the 3D capabilities, I was wondering if any one has used the settings from this thread on their 830U?

Well friend, you and I are in the same boat. I just ordered a LC40LE830U and have been scouring the net for settings myself. Hopefully someone will chime in and help us both out.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 PM

Hey guys I just got this screen and was wondering: is there any way to use 120hz when connected to a pc with windows via hdmi? The only selections I have is 60,59, 29,24,23. Also is it just me or is there slight mouse input lag even when in game mode?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unloopme View Post

Well friend, you and I are in the same boat. I just ordered a LC40LE830U and have been scouring the net for settings myself. Hopefully someone will chime in and help us both out.

Hi, I used to own this set and thread Member IMWS posted some spot-on settings back in 5/28. I thought I'd copy/paste for you below incase you missed it. Hope it helps....

So here are my Movie settings...

AV Mode - Movie
OPC - OFF as usual
Backlight - +16 this is the default
Contrast - +35 up a few clicks from the default
Brightness - 0
Color -5
Tint -5
Sharpness +1
Advanced
CMS Hue R0,Y-20,G+16,C0,B0,M+27
CMS Saturation R+10,Y-9,G0,C-5,B-10,M0
CMS Value R0,Y+15,G0,C+6,B+10,M0
Color Gamut Range - Expanded
Color Temp - Low, Low, Low...
Motion Enhancement 120Hz - Note using 240Hz results in a dimmer picture and reduced contrast so I'd love to use it but it significantly degrades the picture in my opinion so no go for 240Hz in any of the modes btw.
Quad Pixel Plus - On
Active Contrast - Off
Gamma Adjustment 0
Film Mode Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Monochrome - Off as always
Range of OPC - N/A
Under Power Control Set Power Savings to OFF

That's it. Compared with my standard mode settings there's still a hint of yellow green to facial tones compared to standard mode, but it could be that the standard mode is just a bit on the reddish pink side. Both modes look good to me for flesh tones at the end of the day. The greens have this warm yellow tone to them that looks very nice and perhaps inaccurate but I like the result. In any case give it a try, take some pictures before of your movie mode and then after with the settings above. For those that have a camera that can be manually adjusted, here are some settings that will give you some decent screenshots.

F5.6, Shutter 1/125, ISO between 800-3200 usually 1600 is the sweet spot with my Canon. If the ISO is the limiting factor then you will have to use a tripod with a low ISO say 100 and shutter speed that is quite a bit longer say a 1/4 or 1/16, you will have to pause the image to reduce blur with that long shutter speed and the tripod is a necessity at such a long shutter speed. If you like the standard mode settings that I published before you will like these Movie settings as well.[/quote]
Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 PM

So the Box says Pandora, Twitter and Facebook. None of those are listed in the app menu. What happened to them?

Also does anyone have a Game mode picture setting?

Edit: How do you get this TV to output 5.1 sound via optical cable? I went on netflix on PS3 and none of the 5.1 audio options where available.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post
Hi, I used to own this set and thread Member IMWS posted some spot-on settings back in 5/28. I thought I'd copy/paste for you below incase you missed it. Hope it helps....
Thank you sir!
Just got it today and I'll input these settings straight away. Much appreciated.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:59 PM

Received my 40" 830 yesterday and am still trying to find the best picture. Blu-ray looks good with the settings posted in here.

Standard def (the tv is hooked up as the 2nd tv with my dual tuner Dish HD DVR) looks very average. Does anyone have any settings or advice to make the SD look better?

Thanks!

Imagination is more important than knowledge
Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 PM

Liked: 11
One big question: I'm in Canada, on the Sharp.ca website, never it is mentionned that the LE835U as Vyper Drive, but on Sharp.com, it's mentionned...

Does this mean there is 2 different models out there one for Canadians and one for Americans ?

THX in advance !
Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r360r View Post

So the Box says Pandora, Twitter and Facebook. None of those are listed in the app menu. What happened to them?

Also does anyone have a Game mode picture setting?

Edit: How do you get this TV to output 5.1 sound via optical cable? I went on netflix on PS3 and none of the 5.1 audio options where available.

I was thinking the same thing, I really was looking forward to the pandora app.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore9700 View Post

I was thinking the same thing, I really was looking forward to the pandora app.

Hello all,

Owner of a 60" LC60LE835U here. I have been lurking in this thread and have gained some really useful information with regards to calibration et. al. I figure the least I can do is help someone else out as well.

It is a little tricky to find at first, but for some strange reason Pandora, Twitter and Facebook are all available through the Vudu app. Hope this helps!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Many thanks to those who have been gracious enough to post settings for the 835 in this thread.
Several things everyone should consider when using these settings.
1) The signal you are receiving; cable, satellite and etc. Also who your provider is; some cable companies are much better than others.
2) The length of the run; especially if you have cable. How far is it from the cable source to your set and how may splitters are in the line. This is usually not an issue if you have a dish.
3) What cable is your house wired with RG59 (old) or RG6 (new)?
4) Room lighting.
4) All of the above is why some folks hire a pro to calibrate their set.

We are so to speak getting a "free lunch" to some degree with the posted settings because they probably work just fine for many.

I put in the settings listed by IWMS and also tried the recently listed Movie setting posted by Sentrex. Although all of them provided a good starting point on my set I have had to "tweak" them to get to my personal preference.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:01 PM

Liked: 11
is the Vyper Drive really makes motion better ? Or is it just a gimmick ?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

So here are my Movie settings...

AV Mode - Movie
OPC - OFF as usual
Backlight - +16 this is the default
Contrast - +35 up a few clicks from the default
Brightness - 0
Color -5
Tint -5
Sharpness +1
Advanced
CMS Hue R0,Y-20,G+16,C0,B0,M+27
CMS Saturation R+10,Y-9,G0,C-5,B-10,M0
CMS Value R0,Y+15,G0,C+6,B+10,M0
Color Gamut Range - Expanded
Color Temp - Low, Low, Low...
Motion Enhancement 120Hz - Note using 240Hz results in a dimmer picture and reduced contrast so I'd love to use it but it significantly degrades the picture in my opinion so no go for 240Hz in any of the modes btw.
Quad Pixel Plus - On
Active Contrast - Off
Gamma Adjustment 0
Film Mode Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Monochrome - Off as always
Range of OPC - N/A
Under Power Control Set Power Savings to OFF

That's it. Compared with my standard mode settings there's still a hint of yellow green to facial tones compared to standard mode, but it could be that the standard mode is just a bit on the reddish pink side. Both modes look good to me for flesh tones at the end of the day. The greens have this warm yellow tone to them that looks very nice and perhaps inaccurate but I like the result. In any case give it a try, take some pictures before of your movie mode and then after with the settings above. For those that have a camera that can be manually adjusted, here are some settings that will give you some decent screenshots.

F5.6, Shutter 1/125, ISO between 800-3200 usually 1600 is the sweet spot with my Canon. If the ISO is the limiting factor then you will have to use a tripod with a low ISO say 100 and shutter speed that is quite a bit longer say a 1/4 or 1/16, you will have to pause the image to reduce blur with that long shutter speed and the tripod is a necessity at such a long shutter speed. If you like the standard mode settings that I published before you will like these Movie settings as well.

These settings are for the 835. Is there any confirmation that the picture is the same on the 830?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewboy View Post

These settings are for the 835. Is there any confirmation that the picture is the same on the 830?

Hi Jewboy...should be the same. 830 I European and 835 is US.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1308733719
Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangedman View Post

Vyper Drive is only used for game mode as far I know. I wonder if Sharp will release a new firmware update to improve it.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangedman View Post

Vyper Drive as nothing to do with Motion. It's a technic to bypass some processing on the picture to create the least amount of input lag when playing games. It actualyl disable some picture enhancement to create faster response.

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc40le835u Quattron 40 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread