Sharp LCXXLE835U Series Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 955 Old 11-19-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you mean response in downloading from the Internet or Application performance as a whole? The 835 launches netflix and vudu very quickly, if it's acting sluggish it may be your Internet connection. I use Verizon FIOS and get 20/20 service with low ping times on avg 5ms to the closest speedtest server. Moving to a wired connection may solve it. My 835 is on a lower floor of the house and the WiFi router is one floor above which I thought would be an issue but it hasn't really cause a problem so far.
imws is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 955 Old 11-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
jimmyv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St.Paul, MN
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've not done much with the net yet but moving from one "page" to another in the AquosNet via the links seemed slow. I thought this was supposed to have a web browser. Maybe I'm just dense, but, while I see references in the manual to following links and bookmarking favorites, I don't see how you get an address bar to enter the web address you want to visit.

From my HTPC (which has a wired connection to my DSL) vudu speedtest showed download of 6136 upload of 735. From my laptop via wireless it showed 6089/717. From the Sharp 830 I was able to navigate to the vudu speedtest and it showed about 5000 download, which it says is good enough for HDX streaming (>4500). To check if hardwire improved the situation, I'd need about a 60' ethernet cable - wouldn't mind the expense if it did...

My preference would be to stream to my HTPC and send the video to the Sharp via HDMI, the audio to my reciever via SPDIF, but, they don't let you stream HTX to your computer...

I thought someone would have started a streaming content forum and threads about the various providers somewhere on AVSFORUMS but didn't see any. Strange.
jimmyv is offline  
post #633 of 955 Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Newbie
 
wragusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this TV for 799.00 last night from Best buy.
I want to get some 3d Glasses. Can someone tell me what are the cheapest 3d glasses that will work with this tv. I dont want to spend alot being that i might only use them once or twice
wragusa is offline  
post #634 of 955 Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
jimmyv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St.Paul, MN
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night, watching some streaming from ABC via my HTPC, there were times when they would switch from the program to ads and briefly blank the screen and for the first time I saw "clouding". Not real bad, but, noticable. Afterwards, I ran through my calibration displays (grey scale ramps, ire0, ire10 full and windowed, and others) and did not see any evidence of clouding. The grey scale ramps not only show ire0 to 100 in 5% steps, but, also 5% under/over black/white and digital 1 and 254. Calibration seems to be what it should - ire0 (digital 16) is as black as it gets (can't differentiate it from the -5% or darker black) nor can I see a difference from ire100 (digital 235) to the +5% or 254 whites but all the in-between grey bars are clearly distinguished. Then I watched Tron Legacy which is mostly dark scenes and saw no evidence of clouding. No idea why I saw it on the blank screens while streaming, but, since I'm not seeing it in the calibration screens or other viewing, I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

Really loving the picture on this set - it is just awesome.
jimmyv is offline  
post #635 of 955 Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
jimmyv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St.Paul, MN
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question about Vudu. They say HDX format provides 7.1 sound. Does the Sharp pass this through the Optical Audio to the reciever? My reciever is supposed to handle that and my surround sound speakers are set up for it, but, I've never had a true 7.1 source before (only 5.1 with the reciever converting it to 7.1). I'd like to hear it. Just asking because something I read in the Owner's Manual made me think the Sharp's audio out was somewhat limited.

PS - just ordered an upgrade to my DSL service from 7M to 12M and a long ethernet cable so I can hardwire from the Sharp to my router. Even though Vudu says my current speedtest of 5M is fast enough, I'd feel better getting the speed up. Upgrade goes into effect Wed evening - probably before the new cable arrives - will report how much improvement each provides.

PSS - I see my earlier comment about the need for a streaming forum was dumb - of course there is one here
jimmyv is offline  
post #636 of 955 Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
jimmyv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St.Paul, MN
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the latest firmware allows 1080p streaming from Netflix?
I see Netflix have listed a bunch of devices that do support their X-HD but Sharp isn't listed.
(I'd suspended my Netflix subscription back when they split streaming from DVD service so I can't just try it without restarting the subscription).
If not, any insight as to when Sharp might provide this support?
jimmyv is offline  
post #637 of 955 Old 11-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
jimmyv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St.Paul, MN
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called Sharp support and asked a few of my questions - just documenting the responses here in case anyone else is wondering.

1) Netflix X-HD (1080p) streaming should be supported with the latest firmware
2) If streaming source has 5.1 or 7.1 audio, it should be passed via the Optical output
3) There is no general purpose web browser capability in the Aquos - you can only follow links from the ones provided (no way to enter a web address yourself)
jimmyv is offline  
post #638 of 955 Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Member
 
chevyt1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the 60" version specifically for watching 3D. I must confess that the 2D viewing is absolutely marvelous. The colors are spectacular, let me stop before Sharp gets some unpaid advertisement from me. With that said, the 3D experience is not, well not what I was expecting. When I view 3D it's like I have a whole in my wall, I can see the depth in the image and while this is worthy of compliment, I don't see anything projecting off of the screen towards me. I guess my question is is this the Sharp 3D experience or am I seeing the limitations of the video? Has anyone else shared my experience and thought there must be something wrong?

By the way, I used the picture adjustments from this forum and find the picture quality stunning. I did make one adjustment I left the OPC on for added contrast under different lighting. Thanks for the posts, I like reading what others with this set have to say.

Max
chevyt1963 is offline  
post #639 of 955 Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

I called Sharp support and asked a few of my questions - just documenting the responses here in case anyone else is wondering.

1) Netflix X-HD (1080p) streaming should be supported with the latest firmware
2) If streaming source has 5.1 or 7.1 audio, it should be passed via the Optical output
3) There is no general purpose web browser capability in the Aquos - you can only follow links from the ones provided (no way to enter a web address yourself)

Thanks for posting this, from the end user manual it seems that two channel audio via the optical out was the limit but I'm glad Sharp is saying that 5.1 or 7.1 can be sent. I suppose one will have to try it to confirm. I don't have a receiver with this TV so I can't say one way or the other. I have Netflix and the content seems nice in HD but I wouldn't say it is 1080P as it is not as detailed as blu-ray or vudu hdx.
imws is offline  
post #640 of 955 Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyt1963 View Post

I purchased the 60" version specifically for watching 3D. I must confess that the 2D viewing is absolutely marvelous. The colors are spectacular, let me stop before Sharp gets some unpaid advertisement from me. With that said, the 3D experience is not, well not what I was expecting. When I view 3D it's like I have a whole in my wall, I can see the depth in the image and while this is worthy of compliment, I don't see anything projecting off of the screen towards me. I guess my question is is this the Sharp 3D experience or am I seeing the limitations of the video? Has anyone else shared my experience and thought there must be something wrong?

By the way, I used the picture adjustments from this forum and find the picture quality stunning. I did make one adjustment I left the OPC on for added contrast under different lighting. Thanks for the posts, I like reading what others with this set have to say.

Max

I've yet to demo 3D on this set or any set for that matter so I'm not sure what it should look like. I think your description is what I would expect at least that's how the 3D IMAX movies appear to me that there's depth on the screen but the content does not float out beyond the plane of the screen.
imws is offline  
post #641 of 955 Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
jimmyv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St.Paul, MN
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

Thanks for posting this, from the end user manual it seems that two channel audio via the optical out was the limit but I'm glad Sharp is saying that 5.1 or 7.1 can be sent. I suppose one will have to try it to confirm. I don't have a receiver with this TV so I can't say one way or the other. I have Netflix and the content seems nice in HD but I wouldn't say it is 1080P as it is not as detailed as blu-ray or vudu hdx.

Like you, the way I read the manual, I thought Optical Audio Out was very limited, which is why I called to ask. When I'm able to verify it passes 5.1 or 7.1 audio, I'll post it here.

From what I read in the Netflix thread, it appears the Netflix stream should tell whether it is HD or XHD (720 or 1080p). After I've gotten my net connection upgrade I'll resubscribe to Netflix and sign up for Vudu and report what I find.

Currently my reciever reports the signal it is recieving from my HTPC (broadcast TV), and Sony DGH250 (DVR - again broadcast TV) as Dolby Digital, 3/2/LFE, 48khz, 384kbps. The Sharp shows PCM, 48khz, dispite the fact that the Sharp says audio is "surround". Hopefully, the person I talked to is correct and when I try streaming Netflix or Vudu, it won't show PCM.

Edit: DSL upgrade has been completed. Results on Vudu/Speedtest: HTPC wired: 10363 kbps download / 726 upload; laptop wireless: 10297 down / 722 up; Sharp wireless >9000 kbps download. Still waiting on long ethernet cable I ordered, though, since speedtest on the Sharp doesn't show detailed speed the way the PC's do, probably won't know how much wired helps. Guess it is about time I sign up for Vudu.
jimmyv is offline  
post #642 of 955 Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Member
 
Dr.leXus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys, please help to choose between Sharp 55LE835U and Sony KDL55NX720

I think right now go with Sharp! What about Sharp's customer service. They send technician to home?
Dr.leXus is offline  
post #643 of 955 Old 11-26-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post

Like you, the way I read the manual, I thought Optical Audio Out was very limited, which is why I called to ask. When I'm able to verify it passes 5.1 or 7.1 audio, I'll post it here.

From what I read in the Netflix thread, it appears the Netflix stream should tell whether it is HD or XHD (720 or 1080p). After I've gotten my net connection upgrade I'll resubscribe to Netflix and sign up for Vudu and report what I find.

Currently my reciever reports the signal it is recieving from my HTPC (broadcast TV), and Sony DGH250 (DVR - again broadcast TV) as Dolby Digital, 3/2/LFE, 48khz, 384kbps. The Sharp shows PCM, 48khz, dispite the fact that the Sharp says audio is "surround". Hopefully, the person I talked to is correct and when I try streaming Netflix or Vudu, it won't show PCM.

Edit: DSL upgrade has been completed. Results on Vudu/Speedtest: HTPC wired: 10363 kbps download / 726 upload; laptop wireless: 10297 down / 722 up; Sharp wireless >9000 kbps download. Still waiting on long ethernet cable I ordered, though, since speedtest on the Sharp doesn't show detailed speed the way the PC's do, probably won't know how much wired helps. Guess it is about time I sign up for Vudu.

i have 20/20 Mbps service from Verizon via their FIOS service and it works well with Vudu HDX and Netflix HD streaming. Vudu HDX will rebuffer at times especially during the peak evening hours but that to me is a result of Vudu's servers getting bogged down when most folks are using it. I'm really starting to see the benefits of streaming as I love catching up on a series in a couple of days.
imws is offline  
post #644 of 955 Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Member
 
chevyt1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

I've yet to demo 3D on this set or any set for that matter so I'm not sure what it should look like. I think your description is what I would expect at least that's how the 3D IMAX movies appear to me that there's depth on the screen but the content does not float out beyond the plane of the screen.

Sharp makes a version of this TV without 3D? I guess I am curious why people would pay the extra cash for a feature they have no intention to use. Well, to not be too judgemental, can I ask why you were motivated to go 3D and not use the feature? Is there a performance enhancement the 835 has that the 831 & 832 don't? I'm just curious.
chevyt1963 is offline  
post #645 of 955 Old 11-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Member
 
chevyt1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post

I received the LC-46LE835U from Amazon about two weeks ago. It replaces a Samsung 46" DLP (model HLN467WX/XAA) I had since 2004. I paid > $4,000 for the Samsung, so the ~ $1,200 (including two pair of active 3D glasses) I paid for the Sharp is a bargain...lol.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at the various models at the big-box stores and reading reviews. In my opinion, the Sharp 835 had the best picture of all the brands. Keep in mind that when I started searching for a new TV, I had no real brand loyalty; if anything I was slightly leaning towards LG based on experience with other LG products and looked very hard at the Panasonic plasmas because of the 3D reputation. Once I saw the Sharp 835, I could not imagine why anyone would choose another brand based on PQ.

All the current technology TVs (DLP, Plasma, and LCD) have very crisp looking screens. However, the Sharp 835 screen is noticeably brighter and more colorful. I can't get over some of the colors that show up on this TV. The golden sunsets, turquoise beaches, and shades of blue in ocean and sky scenes just blow me away.

My set has no dead or stuck pixels. I have not seen any 3D ghosting, crosstalk, clouding, flashlight effect, blue streaking, etc. that some have brought up. Black levels are so good now days, that any further improvements would be hard to detect by the average person (black levels was the #1 problem with DLPs back in 2004). My son and I have not noticed any input lag issues playing games on the PS3.

I am really enjoying the 3D on this set. I have a few Blu-ray 3D CDs and have more on order. The two free Sharp 3D glasses (G10S) came a week after the TV was delivered. I also ordered the iTrek 3D glasses (GBSG03-JP) and they arrived with the TV. The Sharp glasses are slightly larger and heavier than the iTrek. They do have the capability to watch a 3D movie in 2D; however, I did notice some cross-talk in 2D mode. The Sharp glasses are battery powered (CR2012); the iTrek are re-chargeable Li-Ion (UBS charger). I tried switching glasses during a 3D movie but I am unable to detect a difference in PQ and brightness between the two brands.

FYI - The Potato Cod fish in the IMAX Under The Sea film has the same pop out distance as the passive LG set on display at BB. However, the Sharp has a higher contrast image.

I highly recommend this set. The PQ and 3D are so good that even if you spent $1,000s more for a set you may not notice any measurable improvement in PQ.

What combination of components are you using. Thank you.

Max
chevyt1963 is offline  
post #646 of 955 Old 11-27-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyt1963 View Post

Sharp makes a version of this TV without 3D? I guess I am curious why people would pay the extra cash for a feature they have no intention to use. Well, to not be too judgemental, can I ask why you were motivated to go 3D and not use the feature? Is there a performance enhancement the 835 has that the 831 & 832 don't? I'm just curious.

At the time I made my purchase back in early March I don't believe there was an 831. I wanted wifi n capability along with all the bells and whistles that would enhance PQ which to me discounted the 832 since I don't believe it had wifi networking built in. 3D is just one feature of this set like the 240Hz motion enhancement. Just because it's part of the mix does not imply that one would buy just for that feature nor does it make the purchase flawed in some way because one does not choose to use it. Watching TV is a wind down and relax activity for me and having to put on 3D glasses is not a comforting thought to me. I did not buy this set for 3D, I bought it because it had all the features that I personally was looking for and it was a Sharp.
imws is offline  
post #647 of 955 Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Member
 
chevyt1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

At the time I made my purchase back in early March I don't believe there was an 831. I wanted wifi n capability along with all the bells and whistles that would enhance PQ which to me discounted the 832 since I don't believe it had wifi networking built in. 3D is just one feature of this set like the 240Hz motion enhancement. Just because it's part of the mix does not imply that one would buy just for that feature nor does it make the purchase flawed in some way because one does not choose to use it. Watching TV is a wind down and relax activity for me and having to put on 3D glasses is not a comforting thought to me. I did not buy this set for 3D, I bought it because it had all the features that I personally was looking for and it was a Sharp.

I thought my response might be misconstrued as Kinda negative, but believe me it was not my intention. I just thought (foolishly it appears) that everyone purchasing a 3D TV was like me desiring to enjoy the medium. I apologize to you Sir and Ma,am for my earlier comments.

Since this is a 835 thread are there others out there that have comments on how to achieve the best 3D performance?

Max
chevyt1963 is offline  
post #648 of 955 Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As the opening poster of this thread there are certainly aspects of the set that I didn't delve into and 3D and gaming are two. That has upset some with one poster actually accusing the thread of lacking meaningful information. I hope that is not your feeling as well. There's nothing stopping you from covering those areas and feel free to do so and as an owner you have every right to do so. The spirit of community is what makes this forum great and sharing one's thoughts and experiences drives this ideal with every post. If there's a lack of 3D information I would hope that the ones that use 3D will chime in for the benefit of those that wish to use 3D. The same goes for gaming. The position that the thread starter is somehow responsible for providing information on features not relevant to them is not inline with the community spirit. On the other hand perhaps it is I who has this all wrong.
imws is offline  
post #649 of 955 Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Member
 
blekk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

As the opening poster of this thread there are certainly aspects of the set that I didn't delve into and 3D and gaming are two. That has upset some with one poster actually accusing the thread of lacking meaningful information. I hope that is not your feeling as well. There's nothing stopping you from covering those areas and feel free to do so and as an owner you have every right to do so. The spirit of community is what makes this forum great and sharing one's thoughts and experiences drives this ideal with every post. If there's a lack of 3D information I would hope that the ones that use 3D will chime in for the benefit of those that wish to use 3D. The same goes for gaming. The position that the thread starter is somehow responsible for providing information on features not relevant to them is not inline with the community spirit. On the other hand perhaps it is I who has this all wrong.

Ok I'll chime in for the gaming fraternity. I've only just recently had the time to set up our new Sharp LC40LE830X - I'm in Australia and this is the same TV as the LCxxLE835U EXCEPT the 830X does not have built in wifi. I tried all the different settings posted here and found the best for me was the calibrated settings with a few tweaks (backlight decrease, OPC etc...). I/We use our tv mainly for streaming content from our home network and gaming with the PS3.

The gaming on this tv is AMAZING I can honestly say it is the clearest picture I have seen a PS3 produce! It's hands down better than my sisters Sony XBR, my mates Samsung D5000 and even my LG plasma. Lag input is either non existence or I've been so amazed at the picture quality that I don't notice it. If there is any specific info you would like to know just ask.

I am also happy to report that there is no flashlight/clouding, light bleeding or dead pixels with our set so these issues might only be related to the US market? The tv itself draws such little current when it runs in ECO mode that my power switchboard doesn't even recoginse the set as being on.

So after some initial tweaking I'm/We're very happy with the Sharp LC40LE830X as it ticks all the right boxes for me and the misses (I have to give her some credit because She was the one that picked it out )

PSN: blekk
blekk is offline  
post #650 of 955 Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for posting. I'm happy to hear about the gaming performance you are achieving. Perhaps when you have a moment you can post your settings for other gamers to try. I was watching reruns of Smallville on HDNET today and it looked so nice on the Sharp. I just love the colors on the set.
imws is offline  
post #651 of 955 Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recall seeing the marketing materials from CES about the 835 and I was happy to see the new design. If they had completely squared off the corners it would have been perfect to my eyes. I think I made my decision after seeing the CES write up on the 835. The features on paper and the clean design sealed the deal. I find myself enjoying this tv more than I expected after 8 months. It has to be those colors almost dreamy at times.
imws is offline  
post #652 of 955 Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Member
 
silverdakota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a 60" last Mon and have been playing around with the picture settings - tried both imws and sentrex settings but picture still didn't seem to "pop" so I started with the DYNAMIC mode default settings and made a few mods and now am very impressed with the picture. The mods i made - starting with default dynamic mode settings - were: reduce backlight from 16 to 8; increase tint from 0 to 2; increase sharpness from 4 to 7; and change color temp from hi to mid-hi. Everything else stays at the factory dynamic defaults.
silverdakota is offline  
post #653 of 955 Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Member
 
blekk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdakota View Post

Just got a 60" last Mon and have been playing around with the picture settings - tried both imws and sentrex settings but picture still didn't seem to "pop" so I started with the DYNAMIC mode default settings and made a few mods and now am very impressed with the picture. The mods i made - starting with default dynamic mode settings - were: reduce backlight from 16 to 8; increase tint from 0 to 2; increase sharpness from 4 to 7; and change color temp from hi to mid-hi. Everything else stays at the factory dynamic defaults.

The sentrex settings work best for me with a few tweaks. I found that the colors don't "pop" as such but give a more natural tone which is what I'm after as I play a lot of games and sometimes the colors can be too over whelming and distract from the game play.

PSN: blekk
blekk is offline  
post #654 of 955 Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Member
 
silverdakota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read that Spears and Munsil is good blue-ray calibration disk for HDTV - spearsandmunsil.com
silverdakota is offline  
post #655 of 955 Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
imws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: New York, NY USA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've used the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray Disk, it's easy to use and has some nice demo material on it.
imws is offline  
post #656 of 955 Old 12-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Member
 
bronxkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have had the 60LE835U for a couple of days. I noticed a problem I didn't find discussed in this thread. In the upper right and upper left area of the screen, maybe 3-4 in from top and 1-2 inch from right and left side is a single white circle. Size is about 1/2 a dime. It's not clouding and it doesn't come and go. It's most visible on a white/bright background and not on black background. It's not a halo, the inside of the circle is solid. Sounds like I'm going to have to send it back. Any thoughts on what this is?
bronxkid is offline  
post #657 of 955 Old 12-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Member
 
chevyt1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxkid View Post

Have had the 60LE835U for a couple of days. I noticed a problem I didn't find discussed in this thread. In the upper right and upper left area of the screen, maybe 3-4 in from top and 1-2 inch from right and left side is a single white circle. Size is about 1/2 a dime. It's not clouding and it doesn't come and go. It's most visible on a white/bright background and not on black background. It's not a halo, the inside of the circle is solid. Sounds like I'm going to have to send it back. Any thoughts on what this is?

Not sure what this is, can you take a picture and attach it to your reply so that all can see. Also, before you send it back adjust your picture using one of the suggested adjustments in this forum and see if that helps. Hope this helps.

Max
chevyt1963 is offline  
post #658 of 955 Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Newbie
 
AuraXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxkid View Post

Have had the 60LE835U for a couple of days. I noticed a problem I didn't find discussed in this thread. In the upper right and upper left area of the screen, maybe 3-4 in from top and 1-2 inch from right and left side is a single white circle. Size is about 1/2 a dime. It's not clouding and it doesn't come and go. It's most visible on a white/bright background and not on black background. It's not a halo, the inside of the circle is solid. Sounds like I'm going to have to send it back. Any thoughts on what this is?

I have noticed the same thing on my LC60LE633U, except mine are on the upper and lower left side. The pixels aren't dead, just a lot brighter on light backgrounds. Have you called Sharp? Planning on returning mine and exchanging before my 90 days are up.
AuraXR is offline  
post #659 of 955 Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Newbie
 
Mcfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMWS vs Flatpanelshd calibration settings. Which one do you like better and why?
Mcfactor is offline  
post #660 of 955 Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Member
 
blekk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfactor View Post

IMWS vs Flatpanelshd calibration settings. Which one do you like better and why?

My personal preference and why above ^

PSN: blekk
blekk is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc40le835u Quattron 40 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off