Sharp LCXXLE835U Series Owners Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 955 Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished my testing of two calibration discs. I used the Spears and Munsil and Disney's Wow disc on two LED monitors my Sony 52 800NX and 60 835. I first used the SM on the 60" and the DW on the 52". I really liked the results of the DW on both sets over the SM. The results are almost night and day apart, however, i think the real reason I liked the DW over the SM is because of the detailed explanation and ease of use.

Not trying to sell anything, but I would like to invite others to use both discs and respond with their comments to see if they see the differences stated above.

If you use the DW disc I suggest using the advanced section to calibrate. Also consider using the pixel flipper even if you don't see any hot pixels. I did not sure if there was an immediate improvement but you never know.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 955 Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM

I originally used the S&P disc and the AVS free download (thanks again everyone!), both ended up with pretty similar end results that I've been quite happy with. But now you've sparked my interest...I'm ordering the WOW disc for comparison...let you know what my final opinion is shortly.
post #873 of 955 Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just got my first pair of 3D glasses and I'm really impressed with 3D playback on the Sharp, it's amazing that it works so well. The IMAX Under the Sea and Ocean Wonderland are just amazing and must be seen. I watched Green Lantern 3D on FIOS On Demand today and it was really cool in 3D. How did they get it so good, the 3D on TV blows away anything that I've seen at the movies which is the real reason I didn't bother with 3D in the first place. Kinda funny that I'm now discovering this hidden gem of sorts after over a year of having the set.
post #874 of 955 Old 04-15-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

I just got my first pair of 3D glasses and I'm really impressed with 3D playback on the Sharp, it's amazing that it works so well. The IMAX Under the Sea and Ocean Wonderland are just amazing and must be seen. I watched Green Lantern 3D on FIOS On Demand today and it was really cool in 3D. How did they get it so good, the 3D on TV blows away anything that I've seen at the movies which is the real reason I didn't bother with 3D in the first place. Kinda funny that I'm now discovering this hidden gem of sorts after over a year of having the set.

imws - which glasses did you get?
post #875 of 955 Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfF76 View Post

I originally used the S&P disc and the AVS free download (thanks again everyone!), both ended up with pretty similar end results that I've been quite happy with. But now you've sparked my interest...I'm ordering the WOW disc for comparison...let you know what my final opinion is shortly.

What did you come up with?

Max
post #876 of 955 Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyt1963 View Post

Max

Didnt get a chance to order it till Sat...is scheduled for delivery later this week, and will give an update this weekend.
post #877 of 955 Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM

OK - it's been a while since I've chimed in. In that time, just still getting tons of enjoyment out of this panel. Enter PS3. Just played a trial of Crysis 2 (first-person shooter game). To put this into perspective, the last video game that I played longer than 20 mins that I owned was Pitfall for the Atari 2600.

Let's just say, that I totally suck at these new formats and struggled mightily with the game play. Whatever I was able to do in the game, the realism (with stereo sound) was borderline disturbing. No lag in the action from what I could tell, but that's coming from a complete newbie. I used game mode, and couldn't really tell if the colors etc were off, and I was too busy emptying magazines into anyone and everything. I can see how one could get lost in these games for hours and hours - (which I am trying to avoid)

The 60" screen size for these games looks like a complete winner.
I also tried out 3D movies with the PS3. While the depth and 3D effect seemed more pronounced on the PS3 vs Sharp BD player, there was still a bit of noticeable, but not deal-breaking cross-talk, even in the Blu-ray 3Ds.

Overall, 3D is still a bit of a novelty and maybe I just need like Avatar or Tron Legacy to truly be blown away. I have Ultimate Wave, Tahiti and Step Up and to me the 2D vs 3D is negligible minus a few brief moments in each movie.

Clouding, DSE....huh?
post #878 of 955 Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baki99 View Post

imws - which glasses did you get?

Sharp AN3DG20B 3D Glasses, Black (Single)
post #879 of 955 Old 04-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Sharp AN3DG20B 3D Glasses, Black (Single)

Thanks!
post #880 of 955 Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Max

Apparently amazon shipped my WOW disc to my billing address, not the shipping (7 years of Amazon shopping and this has never happened). So they are resending it and have to admit i am quite anxious to get it, really want to see the difference between it and the S&M/AVS Cali discs....will keep you posted.

Chris
post #881 of 955 Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 PM

I've had my 835 about 3 months now and the DSE seems to be worsening. I use this set more for web surfing than tv which is why it probably bothers me more. At any rate here's a couple of pics of my set with a white backround which I made by taking a white square in photoshop and making it full screen:

and a little closer up:

I emailed Sharp about the problem earlier today and they gave me a case number and told me to call them. I figured before I do that, I'd check in with you guys and see what you think. Are you seeing this much non-uniformity on your sets?
post #882 of 955 Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 AM

Jimmy - I've had my TV for about the same amount of time. I haven't noticed any degradation of slight issues I already had (dse, clouding). I only see a bit of DSE on hockey games and it is nowhere near as bad as your pics (and it is noticeable when the camera is panning, not a still image. If it were that apparent, the games would probably be unwatchable.

Have you tried to tweak picture settings, back-lighting etc?. I have only used mine as a monitor once for like 5 mins, just putting it through it's paces. So I don't know if extended use of it in that fashion could start producing those issues.
post #883 of 955 Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I have a Samsung 55" D8000 and somehow a Geek Squad and Samsung tech royally screwed it up, see my good times here, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21935125.

I received a call that they are going to replace the TV, however there are not any available on the Best Buy website. I saw the Sharp 60'sare on sale for close to what I paid for the Samsung. I am planning on going later today to BB and check it out. In general, are most people happy with this TV? Is the 3D as good/better than Samsungs? How about PQ, flash lighting? I quickly ran thru this thread and I can't really fully trust the views on the BB website, I always refer to the experts.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #884 of 955 Old 04-24-2012, 01:46 PM

So I have this Sharp 3D set for almost 3 weeks from Best Buy and we decided this last weekend to have it calibrated by Geek Squad. They lowered the ISF calibration to $199 and we like the little demo that they had set up. We have come this far (spent a total of $3,700) for everytrhing I.E. new entry level Yamaha receiver, 3rd blue ray, mounted on the wall over a entertainment cabinet, etc. Oh, and I have a BA VR12 coming tomorrow. I have 2 questions. #1 Is this set capable of being really dialed in and eliminating some of these issues some of you are having?. For my wife and me so far and coming from a 65 inch big box, the prior picture on the big box I think is more true to life and the images not near as bright as this LCD. So far, we are really liking the bright picture but I do concede that some images are not as good but overall it seems amazing. My fear and I have read this on the calibration area that some people are disappointed in the picture because it is now a duller picture. Oh, my other question. #2 Can I have this calibrated like the intended picture but say to the calibrater, can you make it a little brighter? Is that defeating the intented results?. Sorry if this is confusing but I guess the bottom line with my 835U is that will prof. calibration be worth it for this Sharp 3d set.
post #885 of 955 Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonracer View Post

So I have this Sharp 3D set for almost 3 weeks from Best Buy and we decided this last weekend to have it calibrated by Geek Squad. They lowered the ISF calibration to $199 and we like the little demo that they had set up. We have come this far (spent a total of $3,700) for everytrhing I.E. new entry level Yamaha receiver, 3rd blue ray, mounted on the wall over a entertainment cabinet, etc. Oh, and I have a BA VR12 coming tomorrow. I have 2 questions. #1 Is this set capable of being really dialed in and eliminating some of these issues some of you are having?. For my wife and me so far and coming from a 65 inch big box, the prior picture on the big box I think is more true to life and the images not near as bright as this LCD. So far, we are really liking the bright picture but I do concede that some images are not as good but overall it seems amazing. My fear and I have read this on the calibration area that some people are disappointed in the picture because it is now a duller picture. Oh, my other question. #2 Can I have this calibrated like the intended picture but say to the calibrater, can you make it a little brighter? Is that defeating the intented results?. Sorry if this is confusing but I guess the bottom line with my 835U is that will prof. calibration be worth it for this Sharp 3d set.

Try the Disney Calibration disc for $25 before you spend the big dollars. I have had good results using this disc on two LED monitors by Sony and Sharp. Hope this comment is helpful.

Max
post #886 of 955 Old 04-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Try the Disney Calibration disc for $25 before you spend the big dollars. I have had good results using this disc on two LED monitors by Sony and Sharp. Hope this comment is helpful.

Max

The Disney WOW disk is a very good calibration disk but it is no substitute for a "good" professional calibration. It's impossible to get an accurate grayscale and gamut by eye. I won't vouch for the quality of a calibration from BestBuy though.

Mike

post #887 of 955 Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM

I think I will still go with the calibration from Best Buy and may regret it but at this point I have to make a leap of fate and hope the calibration person they send out is competent. I appreciate all the opinions.
post #888 of 955 Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM

does anyone have experience dealing with sharps warranty department on issues with their tv? will they actually send someone to my home to repair the issue or do i have to take it somewhere (which i absolutely refuse to do)? i've had the tv for about 3 months now and i am getting these dark vertical shady bars that are progressively getting worse and is most apparent when watching golf, hockey or any show where there is a uniform colored background (like a blue sky). im past the 30 day return policy from hhgregg so im relying on sharp now to take care of this. any experiences would be very helpful.
post #889 of 955 Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpak7777 View Post

does anyone have experience dealing with sharps warranty department on issues with their tv? will they actually send someone to my home to repair the issue or do i have to take it somewhere (which i absolutely refuse to do)? i've had the tv for about 3 months now and i am getting these dark vertical shady bars that are progressively getting worse and is most apparent when watching golf, hockey or any show where there is a uniform colored background (like a blue sky). im past the 30 day return policy from hhgregg so im relying on sharp now to take care of this. any experiences would be very helpful.

I have had excellent results with them. I had an 832 with serious flashlighting, they replaced it with an 835 at no cost. They had me take pictures and email them. They even had the new tv delivered and installed (removed old tv from the wall and hung new one up).
post #890 of 955 Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy3d View Post

I've had my 835 about 3 months now and the DSE seems to be worsening. I use this set more for web surfing than tv which is why it probably bothers me more. At any rate here's a couple of pics of my set with a white backround which I made by taking a white square in photoshop and making it full screen:

and a little closer up:

I emailed Sharp about the problem earlier today and they gave me a case number and told me to call them. I figured before I do that, I'd check in with you guys and see what you think. Are you seeing this much non-uniformity on your sets?

That looks like it will be annoying, I have yet to run a full screen test like that but I think I would have noticed something as obvious as yours. So no I have not seen any evidence of DSE on my smallish 40".
post #891 of 955 Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Not sure how others have their TVs hooked up but I have mine connected to a surge protector/ line cleaner to provide protected and conditioned input AC. If you Have connected your TV with less than a "good" surge protector (something other than the dollar store surge protector) it might explain some of your TV anomalies. Just a thought. AC input in many areas is less than ideal, couple this with possible line outages while your away with jolt of line reconnection without surge protection could shorten the life span of some devices or at the very least weaken their performance.
post #892 of 955 Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

The Disney WOW disk is a very good calibration disk but it is no substitute for a "good" professional calibration. It's impossible to get an accurate grayscale and gamut by eye. I won't vouch for the quality of a calibration from BestBuy though.

What colorimeter would you suggest using to get greyscale and gamut accuracy? I considered purchasing a Spyder 3 but it's 1
$110 from Amazon. I have a history adjusting desktop monitors and laptops for color using a color monkey. I do this monthly or whenever I get around to it so I am not unfamiliar with the principles. Would like to hear your comments.
post #893 of 955 Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM

So I have had my 835U 60 inch for just under a month. Trying to figure out whats good and whats bad. So far, many scenes and programs seem really good. For example, watching a NBA half time show on TNT, etc. Looks spectactular. Then, watching some shows like NCIS (a lot of CBS) but not limited too. Sometimes, there seems to what looks like a film over the picture that is dirty or matted. Also, certain colors like red looks like an Xray almost but not that transparent. My question is this on my TV or any LCD. Is this the "dirty screen", ghosting, etc. And assuming my up coming Best Buy ISF calibration is done by a competent person, does this sort of calibration address these issues. So far I really like this set just getting more critical over time.
post #894 of 955 Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonracer View Post

So I have had my 835U 60 inch for just under a month. Trying to figure out whats good and whats bad. So far, many scenes and programs seem really good. For example, watching a NBA half time show on TNT, etc. Looks spectactular. Then, watching some shows like NCIS (a lot of CBS) but not limited too. Sometimes, there seems to what looks like a film over the picture that is dirty or matted. Also, certain colors like red looks like an Xray almost but not that transparent. My question is this on my TV or any LCD. Is this the "dirty screen", ghosting, etc. And assuming my up coming Best Buy ISF calibration is done by a competent person, does this sort of calibration address these issues. So far I really like this set just getting more critical over time.

I just got my 835u 60 inch calibrated today by Jim Doolittle (http://www.tweaktv.com/who-we-are/ji...r-blogger.html).

Wow, what a difference.

Example: For my TV, he found that setting my BD player (Panasonic DMP-BDT210) to do standard RGB output was better than using 4:4:4 or 4:2:2.

Using his equipment, he also made sure my 20% and 80% grays were spot-on, and that my color temps were just right.

I am honestly too afraid of having Best Buy do calibrations. You might get lucky... But for me, this is my 3rd time using Jim (my Sharp 60" 835U LED, a Sony 40V2500 LCD, and a Samsung HLS5087W DLP.) I highly recommend him. But if Best Buy does a good job, let me know.
post #895 of 955 Old 05-09-2012, 01:14 AM

Liked: 13
So, my 60" 835 has got 4 options for Motion Enhancement....
Off, 120Hz Low, 120Hz High, and Aquomotion 240Hz.

My question is...

if you set this setting to "off" and play a BD from a player set to 1080p/24Hz... will the TV play it like a 60Hz TV or like a 120Hz TV?
post #896 of 955 Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You should be able to tell what it's doing just by looking at it. In other words use your eyes, judder free 24Hz playback should be noticeable compared to say 1080p60 playback and that should be one of the goals of the set in one of the film modes. If you read the thread the answer is in the posts.
post #897 of 955 Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Turning film mode off will allow 1080p24 playback at 120Hz or 5x the 24 frame cadence, it works really well on the Sharp. You should use 120hz high or low and turn film mode off for 24p judder free playback. Film mode is on the last page of the Advanced menu btw.
post #898 of 955 Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:

From time to time if I change my input resolution from 1080p60 to something else I'll get that motion artifact that Wolffe72 has described but it is very rare and I can get it to correct itself very easily by toggling my input resolution.

imws & Wolffe72 or anyone else,
I seem to be getting this pixilation wavyness more and more and it seems to stem from my PS3 menu after stopping a bluray disc. Are you guys still having this issue or did you find out what the cause/remedy is? Has anyone had their set serviced for this and know what the cause is? It only goes away for me if I power the TV off then on or if I toggle 3D on then off.
post #899 of 955 Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No I still get this from time to time, more so recently say about once every couple of weeks, the fix for me is to toggle resolutions. I have had to power off once or twice in the past but if I go into 1080i mode from the Denon Realta HQV processor it goes away and then I just switch back to 1080p60 or 1080p24. I supposed if you don't have a way of changing resolutions on the fly then this could be annoying.
post #900 of 955 Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:

No I still get this from time to time, more so recently say about once every couple of weeks, the fix for me is to toggle resolutions. I have had to power off once or twice in the past but if I go into 1080i mode from the Denon Realta HQV processor it goes away and then I just switch back to 1080p60 or 1080p24. I supposed if you don't have a way of changing resolutions on the fly then this could be annoying.

I'm hoping a future Sharp software update will be able to correct this - I'm not sure how extensive their updates are or even if they can address this through an update. My fear is that one day the picture won't correct.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc40le835u Quattron 40 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page