Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 955 Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

Yes that's the best way to assess the qualities of the set by viewing in person. Screenshots are nice but you need to see it in person to make sure it will work for you. Did you get a chance to see the Sony HX929 at Best Buy? They are raving about that set in another thread.

Unfortunately i didn't get a chance...

But I'll take a look now. Thanks, IMWS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 955 Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 AM

I just got mine in, finally. I'll be testing 3D games and quality. Back for thoughts later today.
post #183 of 955 Old 06-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Ok, tried out a bunch of things, from Comcast cable TV (SD) to some PS3 games.

I'm using the 52" TV, with the latest Movie settings by OP. Also using Amazon Basic 1.4a cables, PlayStation 3 Slim, and a Harman-Kardon AVR 2600 with bypass on.

Pros:
-My cable box actually works! On my old Samsung, I had to have it in boxed mode (black bars on bottom/top/sides) for it not to stretch. This TV just seems to adjust to it automatically.

-Blu-rays look great, as usual (but check color con I had below). I'm using 24hz mode to feel more properly Hollywood, I guess. Soap opera mode just doesn't do it for me. Looks better on an older TV show without camera movements (watching Three Stooges in this mode was a blast, lol).

-Games look awesome. I noticed people complaining about blue-trailing. Not an issue. I've played a variety of games already. From shooters to fast-moving action games, arcade games, and racing games. Not one issue.

-3D mode is good, and it works well. I tested Mortal Kombat, Crysis 2, Killzone 3, Gran Turismo 5, and Super Stardust HD so far. The only game I thought just looked a ton better without the 3D was Gran Turismo 5. However, Crysis 2 and Killzone 3 looked the best in 3D. There's not so much that it looks cheesy, but the depth it adds is really nice.

Cons:
-There's this weird back light thing going on, which is very distracting in dark scenes. I don't know how to get rid of it. It's like patches, or circles, of brighter areas on the screen when the screen is pitch dark. It looks like a glare issue, or someone is shining a flashlight at it in certain places. Kind of annoying. If anyone knows how to get rid of this, let me know!

-Colors seem to be a little off so far. Too much red? I'm going to try and adjust them. However, they still look good.

Oh, and in case anyone on Google is wondering how to get their TV to be recognized as 3D by games that use stereo 3D (Mortal Kombat, Crysis 2, Killzone 3, etc.), I had to go back to my PlayStation 3 display settings and redo the display to auto. Without auto, it wouldn't show HDTV 3D settings. This took an hour of searching.

If you have questions, ask away! I'm still testing everything I can.
post #184 of 955 Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The flashlight thing you are describing sounds like clouding.
post #185 of 955 Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM

great review! what level backlight do you have you have it set on? would lowering it reduce the backlighting issue? Can you by chance post some pictures of the screen with the tv off? I'd like to see how glossy it is. thanks!
post #186 of 955 Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryvBy View Post

Cons:
-There's this weird back light thing going on, which is very distracting in dark scenes. I don't know how to get rid of it. It's like patches, or circles, of brighter areas on the screen when the screen is pitch dark. It looks like a glare issue, or someone is shining a flashlight at it in certain places. Kind of annoying. If anyone knows how to get rid of this, let me know!

- Oh, and in case anyone on Google is wondering how to get their TV to be recognized as 3D by games that use stereo 3D (Mortal Kombat, Crysis 2, Killzone 3, etc.), I had to go back to my PlayStation 3 display settings and redo the display to auto. Without auto, it wouldn't show HDTV 3D settings. This took an hour of searching.
1/ It seems that you have "clouding" :/
2/ The PS3 only recognizes 3D sources when you run the "auto" display setting as you did. Yep, very stupid. Had the same problem, but once you know the tip, that's OK.
post #187 of 955 Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:

The flashlight thing you are describing sounds like clouding.

Any way to rid myself of the clouding? It's kind of annoying after seeing it more. It's only on blu-rays that I really notice it.
post #188 of 955 Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can reduce the backlight setting to zero, turn on 240Hz and active contrast. Collectively it should mask the clouding effect but these settings are not ideal for the best picture. I have clouding on my set as well.
post #189 of 955 Old 06-03-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Any way to rid myself of the clouding? It's kind of annoying after seeing it more. It's only on blu-rays that I really notice it.

Could you take a picture of your clouded 835? I'm supposed to buy a 52" as well in the coming weeks and I'm just a little bit scared now to have the same issue
post #190 of 955 Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeo View Post

Could you take a picture of your clouded 835? I'm supposed to buy a 52" as well in the coming weeks and I'm just a little bit scared now to have the same issue

I don't see it all the time. AS a matter of fact, it seems to be only when there's a really pitch dark scene that it pops up. I'm going to see if I can remove it from being so noticeable. I'll try and take some screens of it later. Just be warned, again, my camera sucks.

I did notice one new thing with the TV that I didn't yesterday. Playing Crysis 2 without 3D on, and turned the motion feature to 60hz (or motion enhancement to off). With this off, there's trailing issues when you're looking directly at a white source (bright light) and something moves over it. Turning the 120hz low on seems to have fixed the issue.
post #191 of 955 Old 06-04-2011, 05:50 PM

I did some reading. The flashlight/clouding effect seems to be removed if you "rub out" the area.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1211217

I tried this, and it helped a little bit. That or I'm crazy. I also lowered the backlight to -6 (wait 30 minutes - you're eyes will adjust to it), and the contrast from OPs movie settings to 32. This gave me a more proper white scale which was blending with 94% white and 100% white.

For clouding I haven't noticed it since I lowered the back light and kicked on the OPC. It's slightly there, but not enough to make me want to return the TV, which is what I wanted to do originally.
post #192 of 955 Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM

I got my 52le835u from Amazon this Friday and I must say the set is amazing! I own a 46" Samsung LN630 and a 52" Sony floating glass model (sorry don't remember the model#) and the 835u makes them look dated. IMWS, your settings for standard mode worked as a perfect starting point for me. I don't use motion enhancement and made a few slight adjustments to the settings suite my preference. thanks for posting them. The screen is glossy but it makes the colors pop so the reflection is a good trade off to me. This is nothing that can't be fix by closing the blinds and moving some lights. The TV has zero gaming lag when playing Super Street Fighter 4 and Wipeout HD on the ps3. Sorry I haven't tried out COD:BO yet. But so far no blue trailing issues or ghosting. Blu-ray movies looks pristine and ultra life like, no judder or panning issues on 24p. Time Warner SD and HD channels look great. The picture is more vivid and defined compared to my other two sets but I do notice more digital noise in the background. I have the Digital noise reduction setting off on all my TV's. There's no audio sync issues with optical out to my Sony sound bar. I haven't tried out the 3D yet as I don't own a pair of glasses and I don't think I will any time soon because 1) My sofa is further then the recommended viewing distance for 3D 2) I'm not quite sold on the 3D technology yet.

The issues I've encountered with the TV.
1. It has a slight cloud top dead center that only appears for a split second whenever anything fades to black but it goes away
2. The TV will not connect to my WIFI. It detects it but when I enter my WPA2 passkey it will not connect.
3. I don't see an option in the menus to turn off the internal speakers when using external sound besides turning the volume down or muting.
4. The power cord connected to the TV is not the traditional 3 prong connector, it looks to be integrated so I can't use my 10ft cable.

Apologies in advance. I'm using a 3 year old 5MP Canon point and shoot to capture these images and it performs horrible in low light environments. They don't do the TV any justice but something is better then nothing.

Glossy screen

TRON has stunning visuals

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!
post #193 of 955 Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I don't see it all the time. AS a matter of fact, it seems to be only when there's a really pitch dark scene that it pops up. I'm going to see if I can remove it from being so noticeable. I'll try and take some screens of it later. Just be warned, again, my camera sucks.

I did notice one new thing with the TV that I didn't yesterday. Playing Crysis 2 without 3D on, and turned the motion feature to 60hz (or motion enhancement to off). With this off, there's trailing issues when you're looking directly at a white source (bright light) and something moves over it. Turning the 120hz low on seems to have fixed the issue.
To be honest that's quite visible :/. But as you said, let's wait for more pics to have a definitive opinion.
post #194 of 955 Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikpyro View Post
I got my 52le835u from Amazon this Friday and I must say the set is amazing! I own a 46" Samsung LN630 and a 52" Sony floating glass model (sorry don't remember the model#) and the 835u makes them look dated. IMWS, your settings for standard mode worked as a perfect starting point for me. I don't use motion enhancement and made a few slight adjustments to the settings suite my preference. thanks for posting them. The screen is glossy but it makes the colors pop so the reflection is a good trade off to me. This is nothing that can't be fix by closing the blinds and moving some lights. The TV has zero gaming lag when playing Super Street Fighter 4 and Wipeout HD on the ps3. Sorry I haven't tried out COD:BO yet. But so far no blue trailing issues or ghosting. Blu-ray movies looks pristine and ultra life like, no judder or panning issues on 24p. Time Warner SD and HD channels look great. The picture is more vivid and defined compared to my other two sets but I do notice more digital noise in the background. I have the Digital noise reduction setting off on all my TV's. There's no audio sync issues with optical out to my Sony sound bar. I haven't tried out the 3D yet as I don't own a pair of glasses and I don't think I will any time soon because 1) My sofa is further then the recommended viewing distance for 3D 2) I'm not quite sold on the 3D technology yet.

1. It has a slight cloud top dead center that only appears for a split second whenever anything fades to black but it goes away
2. The TV will not connect to my WIFI. It detects it but when I enter my WPA2 passkey it will not connect.
3. I don't see an option in the menus to turn off the internal speakers when using external sound besides turning the volume down or muting.
4. The power cord connected to the TV is not the traditional 3 prong connector, it looks to be integrated so I can't use my 10ft cable.

Apologies in advance. I'm using a 3 year old 5MP Canon point and shoot to capture these images and it performs horrible in low light environments. They don't do the TV any justice but something is better then nothing.

Glossy screen

Thanks for your review. Indeed, this 52LE835 looks terrific ! I didn't know that the panel was glossy. I always thought that it was mate...Also great to see that there's absolutely need blue trailing issue!
post #195 of 955 Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM

You look like you obviously have a plasma screen. The reflection on the plasmas are excrutiating because of the nature of this medium. However, In a non-reflective room, you will find some colors and clarity to beat the best LED/LCD thin screens out there. Also, you need not consider the refresh rate that LCD's have to have when watching something like sports or fast action shows. On a LED/LCD you should have at least a 240 refresh rate to compare with the Plasma. But just pull the blinds on house in a darkend room.

Correction, I didn't see you post with the photos. That looks like an LED/LCD unit so disregarde my last.
post #196 of 955 Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glossy screen

Congratulations on your purchase, you should try the Movie settings as well. ... The pics look great, I couldn't get a decent picture of the screen that shows the reflective nature.
post #197 of 955 Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 PM

I finally got to watch a 3D movie, Tron Legacy, and wow. I love this TV movie. Lowering my backlight alone has fixed MOST of the clouding. Worth the trade imo.
post #198 of 955 Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 AM

DryvBy, may I ask which glasses are you using and how far are you sitting from the tv? thanks
post #199 of 955 Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Your screens clearly show clouding so that's the issue with the TV. It's really widespread and it's almost a lottery to find a TV that doesn't have it or have it not as bad. It's up to you to decide if you want to live with it or not.

The trailing your mention has been reported by others as well with the Sharp 83x series so far.
post #200 of 955 Old 06-07-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:

DryvBy, may I ask which glasses are you using and how far are you sitting from the tv? thanks

I'm using:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041UBZVS

I'm roughly 8-9 feet away from the TV. I have the Tim Burton's Alice coming soon, and a few others. I hope to be able to review the set a little more.
post #201 of 955 Old 06-08-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know I should go out and get some glasses as well, I've yet to see 3D on this TV.
post #202 of 955 Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Hi there - Do you know if the 835 are able to decode the "Dolby Digital +" audio signal?
post #203 of 955 Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll test the next time I have a Dolby Digital Plus BluRay.
post #204 of 955 Old 06-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:

I'll test the next time I have a Dolby Digital Plus BluRay.

Great, thx !
post #205 of 955 Old 06-12-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:

This site talks about the challenges in calibrating the quattron LCD. In the comments there are some suggested settings which I'm trying out and with a bit of tweaking on my end the results are quite good.

Since the UK HDTV review is on an older LED set (821), does your new set exhibit the "contouring" effect that the reviewers experienced when they tested it with a Blu-Ray edition of Serenity? There appears to be some contouring issues on the character's faces.

The 835 is definitely on top of my list but I'm concerned that the contouring effect issue may have transitioned over from the 821, and might be too distracting. Please let me know if it's a major issue. Thx.
post #206 of 955 Old 06-12-2011, 06:54 PM

I went to see this tv at Frys today.
The bezel looks great, looked light years ahead of the 920 next to it. Glare didn't seem to bad, the sony 929 across from it had much worse relections. The tv had great color and pop it had to be in tourch mode because the feeds were mostly letterbox and the black bars were lit up pretty bright. I could see a little clouding going on when the screen would switch feeds.

I was definitely impressed with this tv. There is really no other 60" tv in it's price range. It is pretty much a steal compared to the 60" samsungs that cost 1500+ more. It seems that I'd you want a good 60" tv with 3d and don't want to spend a fortune this is it!
post #207 of 955 Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 PM

Hi all,

Just received my 46" 835 yesterday and have been checking it out. My "old" tv is a Sharp 52" AQUOS LC52BD80U 52-Inch which developed a horizontal lines problem that could only be fixed at 3x the cost of the tv, so the LC46LE835U is my replacement. Most everything I will say is in comparison to the earlier tv.

First, some good stuff:
- much better blacks; not that they were bad on the old tv, just noticeably better on the 835.
- I like the slimness of the remote, and the bottom surface is not slippery. nice design choice.
- tv has nice design; thin bezel and depth. attractive.
- touch controls on the tv's front are very nice.
- plenty of inputs (though I am concerned that only one component could be future limiting).
- I am delighted the base swivels!
- good (not great) menu system.
- lots of picture/color controls.
- well-saturated picture; plenty of color to go around.
- no dead pixels (that I saw anyway).
- no clouding (but then I don't set mine to "blaze").
- no banding/lines or other anomalies.
- very energy efficient - rated at $15/year electricity cost - excellent.
- easy to connect computer, just plug and go.
- it runs "cool" (no more using the tv as an area heater in the winter!

And some not so good:
- I will be surprised if the remote lasts two years; squishy button operation and no tactile feel at all. Nice design, but not made to last.
- even with the addition of a separate 15-watt bass speaker, the sound is no better than my old tv.
- the screen is HIGHLY reflective. I knew it was reflective compared to my old semi-matt tv, but the amazon photos of the tv made it appear that it was about the same as my old tv. Not even close.
- the colors are not quite as enjoyable (a personal preference), it's like they're off just a bit somehow. tweaking didn't help.
- and now the worst thing of all: hands down I prefer the picture quality of the old tv!

I have tried every adjustment available, and, while the picture is nice, it just doesn't have the "wow" factor of the old set. I was revisiting the amazon site to reread the listing in case i missed something, and found this curious statement: "Through the combined operation of Sharp's X-Gen panel, which has a high contrast ratio and Sharp's ultra-brilliant LED backlight system, AQUOS LE835 Series LCD TVs achieve an ultra-high contrast ratio that delivers unprecedented degrees of black and images that project incredible depth." I say it is a curious statement because, in comparison, it is my old tv that has "incredible depth." Go figure.

However, I still like the tv and i'm just not up to the whole returning thing at this time. Replacement with the same model is not an option as i don't think there's anything malfunctioning, it's just the way this tv is. Also, there really isn't any other tv on the market i would consider except for those that are much pricier and are therefore not in the current running. (I already had to go from 52" to 46"!)

Anyway, thanks for reading. If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer.

Happy viewing!

SG
post #208 of 955 Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Did you try the "standard" picture settings posted earlier in this thread?
post #209 of 955 Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Thank you for your suggestion.
Yes, I have tried all of the AV modes. As well as every other setting I could find.

The difference in PQ is difficult to describe. The picture quality on my old set looks so true and real that it feels like I could reach out and touch it. The new tv seems as though I'm watching through a picture window, and everything is slightly smoothed over. No biting sharpness as with the older set.

Maybe this is due to the LED lighting? Or maybe due to the glossy screen? Or maybe this was done on purpose to respond to some users' complaints about "soap opera effect" vs (their preferred) film-like effect.

I'm not saying the PQ on the new tv is bad, just not as compelling as the old set. Even now, after I've been doing something else for a while (cooking, computer, whatever) and I return to view the old tv, in my head I still involuntarily say "wow, that picture is great!" That never happens with the new tv.

I am looking forward to viewing the new tv in 3D. No glasses yet. But soon.

Oh, here's something fun to do with your new 835:

1) With the tv turned on, press "menu" on remote, then use left/right arrow keys until "Picture Settings" is highlighted. THEN press the "AV Mode" button, and each time you press it you will see the different individual attribute settings AT THE SAME TIME for each AV mode! This is good for comparing different AV mode settings with minimal effort and brain memory exertion.

Happy viewing!

SG
post #210 of 955 Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM

If it helps anyone I contacted Sharp asking them when the new 3d glasses are going to be avaible in the US and they responded with July. I would consider waiting for them since they are 40% lighter than the old ones and who knows maybe they even work better.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc40le835u Quattron 40 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page