Sony Bravia KDL55HX800 vs. KDL55EX720 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 46 Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Holy bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HX800 does have "Edge lit LED backlight".....

May be you mean the HX800 does not have "Direct LED backlight" ?

Sony is dead.
Holy bear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 46 Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Surridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, in this case the distinction is made between "edge-lit" and "back-lit". Back-lit normally refers to full array LED backlight, when you use these terms, so that is what I meant

Edit: Although the distinction is less obvious if you don't look at the link he posted, so I suppose I should have clarified.
Surridge is offline  
post #33 of 46 Old 04-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Newbie
 
js909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Technically all LED tvs are LED backlit as are all LCD tvs. The light always comes from the back whether directly behind the screen or through a diffuser. Another confusing subject matter and play on words from the manufacturers to make people give up on understanding and just buy the tv out of pure exhaustion.
js909 is offline  
post #34 of 46 Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Do-It-Yourself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In a house far away from you creeps (hopefully)
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by js909 View Post

Technically all LED tvs are LED backlit as are all LCD tvs. The light always comes from the back whether directly behind the screen or through a diffuser. Another confusing subject matter and play on words from the manufacturers to make people give up on understanding and just buy the tv out of pure exhaustion.

Let's rephrase it a bit. 'LED TV's' ARE LCD displays. It was a problem when the first LED-LCD came out, since they were marked as simply, "LED-TV" and advertised clearly distinctly differently from all the other similar LCD displays. This caused the main ill informed mass consumers to think that it was more than what meets the eye.

It was obviously a marketing ploy by Samsung. Sony's HCFL was still otherwise different from the ordinary CCFL, and yet the advertising differences were miniscule.

Yes the term "back-lit" can be thought of any light source behind the liquid crystal display, so it is applied into every set. But its used mainly for determining the position of the light source.

I would rather use "parallel and perpendicular-lit" instead
Do-It-Yourself is offline  
post #35 of 46 Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Member
 
naus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HX800 is a better TV.

There is a big difference between Dynamic Edge LED on the HX800 compared to the regular Edge LED for the EX720. That alone should make the HX800 a winner.

Screen uniformity or clouding mostly becomes a non-issue when you have dimming LEDs. The black bars on the HX800 are inky and almost pitch black.

The only thing the EX720 has going for it is the matte screen and wifi, but some people like the glossy (and the glossy on the HX800 is pretty subtle).

3D would look horrible on the EX720 since you would only get 60hz in one eye.
naus is offline  
post #36 of 46 Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Newbie
 
kyzursozay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I guess I should be happy Sony is selling me an 55HX800 to replace my 60"XBR1 for $400 delivered? Hope so, been rather disappointed of late after optical block, constant bulb replacement with XBR1. Oh yeah, and 2 60GB PS3 replacements at $185 each time. First because of blu-ray a few months after warranty expired then 6 months after it was repaired/returned for YLOD. Maybe I'll get it just in time for the restart of PSN. On the other hand kind of hard to trust anything said by Sony.
kyzursozay is offline  
post #37 of 46 Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
crb
Member
 
crb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzursozay View Post

So I guess I should be happy Sony is selling me an 55HX800 to replace my 60"XBR1 for $400 delivered? Hope so, been rather disappointed of late after optical block, constant bulb replacement with XBR1. Oh yeah, and 2 60GB PS3 replacements at $185 each time. First because of blu-ray a few months after warranty expired then 6 months after it was repaired/returned for YLOD. Maybe I'll get it just in time for the restart of PSN. On the other hand kind of hard to trust anything said by Sony.

PMFJI but after one day (uncalibrated, admittedly) of owning the 60EX720, I'm happy so far! No uniformity issues at all!

FYI I WOULD HAVE been happy to buy the higher end Bravias (NX and HX; even the 65" XBR if I could wait!!!) But I DID NOT want the glass screen.

REASON: from experience with my 60XBR950, dust and smoke collects INSIDE the glass and can't be cleaned).

Again, I think you'll be happy!
crb is offline  
post #38 of 46 Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Newbie
 
kyzursozay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well just got another email from Sony now they are going to upgrade me to 55NX810 instead 55HX800 since it has been discontinued........ LOL...... wonder if it will ship before it becomes obsolete.
kyzursozay is offline  
post #39 of 46 Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
amatot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
X-Reality engine designations relate to the Bravia Engine's pixel/frame buffer processing prowess and has nothing to do with a panels visual refresh rate. Don't get the DSP processing confused with the panel Motionflow rate.

If you are interested in solid 3D performance then you want a set that is spec'd for 240 Hz to handle the push of side-by-side or over-under for the double images needed to render the best possible 3D picture (to todays standards). 120 Hz sets designated as 3D capable will be subpar. It's that simple. And you get what you pay for.

amatot is offline  
post #40 of 46 Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
tory40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I saw horrible amounts of crosstalk on a 55" and 46" EX720 and the same amount on a 46" NX810. I do not recommend any of these for 3d unless you can check them out first.


Quote:
Originally Posted by naus View Post

The HX800 is a better TV.
3D would look horrible on the EX720 since you would only get 60hz in one eye.

60hz per eye is fine for me and all the millions of others who buy 120hz 3D monitors and Tvs. It looks like a solid picture and there is zero flicker on properly functioning setup.
tory40 is offline  
post #41 of 46 Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
aztony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
First off, sorry if this isn't the correct forum for this topic. Anyone else with this model having the following problem?

I got the KDL-55HX800 from Sony's replacement program in Nov/Dec of 2010. Last night I was sitting in my living room with the TV off, while I was on my laptop. I kept hearing a clicking sound coming from the TV, like when you turn it off and on. I thought maybe I was just hearing things but it kept occurring about every 30 seconds. I turned the TV on to see if I could figure out what was going on. The TV comes on, the Sony screen comes up, the program channel comes on, but after about 10 seconds the TV reboots (for lack of a better word), shuts off and comes back on. It does this constantly. I thought maybe it had to do with my surge suppressor and unplugged the TV from it and plugged it directly into a wall outlet. The problem still happens. The manual says to count how many times the "standby" light blinks off and on. I'm assuming the standby light is the red light on the front of the TV that comes on when you power the TV off. If it is, the light doesn't blink at all, it just turns on and off when the TV reboots. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem may be and what to do. TIA.
aztony is offline  
post #42 of 46 Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Member
 
20vBeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

First off, sorry if this isn't the correct forum for this topic. Anyone else with this model having the following problem?
I got the KDL-55HX800 from Sony's replacement program in Nov/Dec of 2010. Last night I was sitting in my living room with the TV off, while I was on my laptop. I kept hearing a clicking sound coming from the TV, like when you turn it off and on. I thought maybe I was just hearing things but it kept occurring about every 30 seconds. I turned the TV on to see if I could figure out what was going on. The TV comes on, the Sony screen comes up, the program channel comes on, but after about 10 seconds the TV reboots (for lack of a better word), shuts off and comes back on. It does this constantly. I thought maybe it had to do with my surge suppressor and unplugged the TV from it and plugged it directly into a wall outlet. The problem still happens. The manual says to count how many times the "standby" light blinks off and on. I'm assuming the standby light is the red light on the front of the TV that comes on when you power the TV off. If it is, the light doesn't blink at all, it just turns on and off when the TV reboots. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what the problem may be and what to do. TIA.

You should try a firmware update to version 4.110. Sony has it available on their website and it lists this specifically: "Resolves an issue where the television may unexpectedly power off and back on shortly after it is turned on."
Good luck!
20vBeat is offline  
post #43 of 46 Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
aztony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the suggestion. How can I update the firmware when it doesn't stay on long enough for me to do anything?

Just to update what I posted. I contacted Sarah Kepler from the Sony Team on Facebook and told her the issue I was having. She contacted what she called the "Triage Team". They said the TV needs to be repaired. Ms. Kepler is sending out a Sony service person and offered to cover the costs of the repair, even though the TV is six months out of warranty. smile.gif I am now waiting to hear from the service company on when they will be coming out. I suggest to anyone who has a Sony product and has a problem to contact Sarah Kepler from the Sony Team. She had also helped me with getting my replacement TV.
aztony is offline  
post #44 of 46 Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Member
 
20vBeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using preferably a blank usb thumb drive formatted as FAT32, copy the firmware file to it and plug it into the usb slot on your tv and turn it on.

There is a chance that it will break the on/off cycle and allow the firmware update to run. If so, you may be in business, although since you have service coming out, maybe it's a moot point. Could be fun to try anyways, but that's your call.

Cheers!
20vBeat is offline  
post #45 of 46 Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Newbie
 
rk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi aztony

Did you find what was the problem with your TV . I have the same problem and while searching in the internet I found this thread.

Thanks
rk101 is offline  
post #46 of 46 Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
aztony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk101 View Post

Hi aztony

Did you find what was the problem with your TV . I have the same problem and while searching in the internet I found this thread.

Thanks

Actually I never found out what the problem was with the TV. The part they said it needed was OOS. I waited a week with no word of when the part was expected to arrive. I then contacted the Sony Team on Facebook again and they gave me a number to call. I was offered a refurbished TV of the same model with a 90 day warranty. I asked if I was eligible for their exchange program instead so that I could get a newer model. They said yes and to search their website for any models I was interested in and get back to them with the model #'s. To make a short story longer, about a month after I posted the problem I ended up with the 55HX850 for which I paid $840. The delivery was white glove service and they take away the broken TV.
aztony is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx800 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black , Sony Kdl 55hx800 55 1080p 3d Ready Lcd Tv Free 6ft Hdmi Cable With Ethernet
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off