Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 240 Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1966 View Post

I have a number of LED TV's, LCD etc, projectors. And the image quality on my 40" SQ02 panel is pretty amazing, even with dodgy SD material, any angle. And with mostly default settings.

The TV is sharp enough to show all the flaws in the compressed source material you are using. My suggestion is to send your set back to the shop. Get a smaller display and a cheaper 720p chinese brand and I doubt you will notice as many flaws.

In my country we would say you are "flogging a dead horse". Move on.

and in my country we'd say you're being very rude to someone that's just asking questions, reasonable ones at that.

Two members of my family own two different series 5 and 6 sammys and those same compressed source materials you claim are the cause of my quality issues on my tv look much better on theirs, and theirs are set at factory defaults. As well, they have older models (2009 and late 2010 models) so it clearly isn't the files I'm using, I've tested them on multiple Samsung displays.

The Gamma setting change did make a decent difference too so it seems I just need to figure out some rock solid good settings for me to like this tv, however lowering the gamma made alot of things not as sharp as I'd like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 240 Old 01-12-2012, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voshra View Post

and in my country we'd say you're being very rude to someone that's just asking questions, reasonable ones at that.

Two members of my family own two different series 5 and 6 sammys and those same compressed source materials you claim are the cause of my quality issues on my tv look much better on theirs, and theirs are set at factory defaults. As well, they have older models (2009 and late 2010 models) so it clearly isn't the files I'm using, I've tested them on multiple Samsung displays.

The Gamma setting change did make a decent difference too so it seems I just need to figure out some rock solid good settings for me to like this tv, however lowering the gamma made alot of things not as sharp as I'd like.

I PM'd the settings. One thing to note, when you do adjust the gamma down, you'll want to turn the brightness back up from the setting of 35 you mentioned previously.

If you load up a brightness / black level / low intensity test image and then play with the gamma and brightness settings a bit, you'll notice interactions between the two and various effects on the shadow detail. If I were to go down to 35 on my own TV, I'd lose a lot of shadow detail.
post #183 of 240 Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 PM

Could you please pm your settings?
10x
post #184 of 240 Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 AM

Liked: 12
Will do.
post #185 of 240 Old 01-14-2012, 03:40 AM

I have a SQ01 panel, and here are the settings I am using at the moment:

-TV SETTINGS for use with HDMI-:

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 7
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 0
Color: 54
Tint: G50/R50

Screen Adjustment submenu
Picture Size: Screen fit
Position: [no change]
PC Screen Adjustment: [grayed out]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: +1
Gamma: +3
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Native
White Balance [see below]
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off

White Balance submenu
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 22
B-Offset: 26
R-Gain: 33
G-Gain: 32
B-Gain: 25

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Low
Film mode: Off [grayed out]

NOTES:
#1: I have no idea why other peoples HDMI Black Level setting is grayed out. Mine is not. I'm on firmware 1020 by the way. That is currently the latest firmware for my country.

#2: Any and all settings that are not mentioned should be set to their DEFAULT values.

-PLAYSTATION 3 SETTINGS for use with HDMI-:

BD/DVD menu
Cinema Conversion: Automatic
Upscale: Normal
BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): Automatic
BD 1080p 24Hz output (HDMI): Off (very important for MOST Samsung TV's)

Display Settings menu
Video Output Settings: [check all that apply]
Cross Color Reduction Filter: Off
RGB Full Range (HDMI): Limited
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): On

With these settings the TV looks pretty good. So far I have tested 1 Blu-Ray movie (Tron: Legacy) and several PlayStation 3 games (including new games recently released) and one of the games I tested is the graphically superb Uncharted 3. So far everything looks good on the TV with these settings.

The only problems I have noticed is that the screen has a pretty reflective surface and it is best to view this TV in a dark room because of this. In a dark room you don't have problems with the reflective screen but in well lit rooms it will become a problem.

The other problem I noticed is that it is true what they say about this TV's viewing angle. If you view this TV from anything other than dead center you WILL notice a drop in quality. Not really a problem for me because I view my TV from dead center all the time anyway.

There also appears to be a green tint in the dark end of the grayscale on this TV. Setting the G-Offset to 22 (as I've done in the above settings) seems to fix this.
post #186 of 240 Old 01-14-2012, 03:31 PM

So, The PS3+HDMI @1080p is still making standard def (even HD Channel recordings) look Unwatchable compared to via the ethernet at the back of the tv, but I've tinkered with the settings as much as I can and I'm nearly satisifed (although the second I go to an HDMI connection/the ps3 the video quality goes back to being horrible), I just can't seem to get rid of the same issue I had with my briefly-owned Emerson...The picture looks sharp but when the scene shifts or movement occurs, parts of the picture keep going in and out of focus like its trying to keep that sharpness despite it being standard def but can't 'hold' the sharpness of the image :S is this impossible to get around?

Also, is there no easy way to 'store' specific input (Composite, HDMI, Ethernet etc) settings? (like I have them set for the Ethernet atm well but would like to create completely separate settings for HDMI and Composite respectively so that I don't have to readjust everything when I go from one thing to another)

right now my 'near perfect' Standard Def settings (via the ethernet port and Serviio) are

Backlight: 10
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 31
Sharpness: 25
Color: 50
Tint: 48/50
'Warm1'
Black and Dynamic levels: Off
shadow Detail: +2
Gamma: 0
White Balance: Default
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On
anything else is set at default settings

Help? :S
post #187 of 240 Old 01-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:

So, The PS3+HDMI @1080p is still making standard def (even HD Channel recordings) look Unwatchable compared to via the ethernet at the back of the tv, but I've tinkered with the settings as much as I can and I'm nearly satisifed (although the second I go to an HDMI connection/the ps3 the video quality goes back to being horrible), I just can't seem to get rid of the same issue I had with my briefly-owned Emerson...The picture looks sharp but when the scene shifts or movement occurs, parts of the picture keep going in and out of focus like its trying to keep that sharpness despite it being standard def but can't 'hold' the sharpness of the image :S is this impossible to get around?

Also, is there no easy way to 'store' specific input (Composite, HDMI, Ethernet etc) settings? (like I have them set for the Ethernet atm well but would like to create completely separate settings for HDMI and Composite respectively so that I don't have to readjust everything when I go from one thing to another)

right now my 'near perfect' Standard Def settings (via the ethernet port and Serviio) are

Backlight: 10
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 31
Sharpness: 25
Tint: 48/50
'Warm1'
Black and Dynamic levels: Off
shadow Detail: +2
Gamma: 0
White Balance: Default
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On
anything else is set at default settings

Help? :S

I take it back, its back to being untolerable in terms of quality, and I have to be as far back as possible for it to not look like garbage, I can't seem to win with this crappy tv, anyone got frikken suggestions for one at the same price (549 or under) or ideas of what the hell I can do to not tear my hair out?
post #188 of 240 Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:

I take it back, its back to being untolerable in terms of quality, and I have to be as far back as possible for it to not look like garbage, I can't seem to win with this crappy tv, anyone got frikken suggestions for one at the same price (549 or under) or ideas of what the hell I can do to not tear my hair out?

Are you sure you have the TV in "HOME" mode and not in "DEMO" or ""STORE" mode?

I don't know what else to say. So far you are the only person I have heard of having this kind of problem with this TV.
post #189 of 240 Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGamer447 View Post

Are you sure you have the TV in "HOME" mode and not in "DEMO" or ""STORE" mode?

I don't know what else to say. So far you are the only person I have heard of having this kind of problem with this TV.

weeks later I've adjusted to the new tv and like it, aside from the viewing angle issue and having to be 10ft back from it at least, but there's a small issue I keep having...

I stream my stuff to the ethernet port at the back with Serviio (since the tv refused to let me use Tversity or PS3 Media server) and it works alright, but occasionally when streaming, the audio completely drops out for a few seconds then pops back in, its becoming rather annoying due to how many times its happened, could be a streaming/cable/etc issue or the program trying to keep up, or it could be something wrong with the tv itself, either way I'd like to hear some input on this issue (as in, does/did anyone else have it and have you fixed it?)

another issue, again with streaming, when I refresh the mediaserver to show new stuff I'd added, sometimes it doesn't show certain files, if I create a copy of the file (ie different file name) and refresh they appear, however this is becoming rather inconvenient and tedious to have to do....any ideas?

*edit* also, in regards to that in and out of focus thing I mentioned, apparently its more a stream (the network the show was recorded off of) issue than the tv/tv show, at least that's what some of my friends reported occasionally happening when they're watching cable tv.
post #190 of 240 Old 01-28-2012, 04:05 PM

This occasional glitch is a known problem with samsung TVs that share the same chipset. Theory is that the CPU struggles to keep up with DLNA overhead with HD media.

Not only serviio but the samsung allshare DLNA app has the same issue.

Try turning off any CPU intensive features such as Trusurround or any other options and see if it improves.

Otherwise we should all report it as a fault to samsung support and try and get them to release a FW update to fix it.
post #191 of 240 Old 01-28-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:

This occasional glitch is a known problem with samsung TVs that share the same chipset. Theory is that the CPU struggles to keep up with DLNA overhead with HD media.

Try turning off any CPU intensive features such as Trusurround or any other options and see if it improves.

Otherwise we should all report it as a fault to samsung support and try and get them to release a FW update to fix it.

is this in reference to the sound issue or the files not appearing? I think its worth noting most files that have trouble appearing are .mkv format btw...
don't know what you mean by cpu intensive features, Serviio is very basic in settings and don't know any tv related settings that would hinder my computer's cpu speed (or does the tv have a cpu? >.> never had a 'smart' tv before so no idea if it does, ethernet ports usually run off something though in my experience o.O computers are more my field than home electronics XD)

the sound drop issue happens on standard def (480i/p) content as well, not just 720p and 1080i/p content so don't see the relation to the issue you mentioned, feel free to correct me though.
post #192 of 240 Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 PM

yes TV has a CPU and I am referring to the dropouts on audio/video.

see here for more information

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3810
post #193 of 240 Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:

weeks later I've adjusted to the new tv and like it, aside from the viewing angle issue and having to be 10ft back from it at least, but there's a small issue I keep having...

I stream my stuff to the ethernet port at the back with Serviio (since the tv refused to let me use Tversity or PS3 Media server) and it works alright, but occasionally when streaming, the audio completely drops out for a few seconds then pops back in, its becoming rather annoying due to how many times its happened, could be a streaming/cable/etc issue or the program trying to keep up, or it could be something wrong with the tv itself, either way I'd like to hear some input on this issue (as in, does/did anyone else have it and have you fixed it?)

another issue, again with streaming, when I refresh the mediaserver to show new stuff I'd added, sometimes it doesn't show certain files, if I create a copy of the file (ie different file name) and refresh they appear, however this is becoming rather inconvenient and tedious to have to do....any ideas?

*edit* also, in regards to that in and out of focus thing I mentioned, apparently its more a stream (the network the show was recorded off of) issue than the tv/tv show, at least that's what some of my friends reported occasionally happening when they're watching cable tv.

Heck dude I only use my TV for PS3 gaming and watching the occasional Blu-Ray movie. I really couldn't care less about Internet or streaming features on a TV. To be honest I don't much see the need for stuff like that in a TV. That stuff is what I have a PC for. My TV is for gaming. Nothing more, nothing less. So I really don't notice any of these other problems.

For PS3 gaming this TV is performing very well so far.
post #194 of 240 Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:

the serviio thread was rather useless, it was talking almost entirely about video issues, which I've had no stuttering aside from a couple MKV tv series but nothing major...what I want answer from is audio dropout on all types of files (standard 480i and 720p/1080p) that occurs for only a few seconds and then returns to normal, about once every 45 mins of playback

sending support stuff to a company is like trying to tell a wall to 'talk already', it just doesn't do much, I sent in a report anyways though.

@MrGamer
I chose the LN40D550 for multiple reasons, to toss my ps3 aside (which makes streaming data look worse than via ethernet on the tv and serviio) and for the number of ports and connections, as well as the overall product specs. I prefer to get the most for my buck so the more things something can do without sacrificing quality the better.
post #195 of 240 Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 AM

@Voshra:
All I can say is it would probably be best for you to buy yourself a other TV. I don't think SAMSUNG is for you. Try SONY, LG or PANASONIC. Or perhaps you would be better off with a PLASMA screen instead of a LCD. Clearly the D550 is not for you. You seem to have extremely bad luck with this TV.

@everyone else:
I fine-tuned my settings for this TV a little. Here are the new settings I use now:

-Picture menu-
Backlight: 7
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 0
Tint: G50/R50

-Screen Adjustment submenu-
Picture Size: Screen fit
Position: [no change]
PC Screen Adjustment: [grayed out]

-Auto Adjustment submenu- [Grayed out]

-Advanced settings submenu-
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: +2
Gamma: +3
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Auto
White Balance [see below]
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off

-White Balance submenu-
R-Offset: 28
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 30
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 25

-Picture options submenu-
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Low
Film mode: Off [grayed out]

-Eco Solution-
Energy Saving: Off
Eco Sensor: Off
No-Signal Power Off: Off
Auto Power Off: Off
post #196 of 240 Old 02-11-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

In case anyone was wondering, this set has the CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT modes that can be enabled in the service menu. I was surprised to see them on a 5 series set but they were there and work properly (previously only 6 series or higher sets had these modes and they didn't always work properly even on those sets).

Hi, I'm obviously not looking in the right place as I cannot find the Cal-Day/Night options in the service menu. I press info, menu, mute and power to access the service menu, but cannot see Cal-Day/Night to enable anywhere.
post #197 of 240 Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotch View Post

Hi, I'm obviously not looking in the right place as I cannot find the Cal-Day/Night options in the service menu. I press info, menu, mute and power to access the service menu, but cannot see Cal-Day/Night to enable anywhere.

I would like to know the same.
post #198 of 240 Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM

I just bought the 40" model and couldn't be happier except for one thing. I work the graveyard shift. And on my days off I keep the same sleep schedule. Because of this I need to use headphones. I've hooked mine up to the mini-jack and do get sound. But it's lower than I like. My headphones do have a volume control but they don't help. On a scale of 1-10, right now it's a 5. I'd prefer a 7. What's the easiest/cheapest way to solve this? I've looked at Boostaroo, but I'd prefer it's something that I could plug in and wouldn't need batteries.

This may have been mentioned but I'm too lazy to look it up. If you use a Mac, you'll need to format your flash/hard drive MSDOS for it to be used with ConnectShare. I noticed this isn't mentioned on Samsung's website.
post #199 of 240 Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 AM

I did a little bit of sleuthing and found out that the "hno1" designation for my tv means I have the "smva" panel. This is supposedly "not as good" as the spva panel.

I can tell you firsthand that the black levels are completely ridiculous first of all, and that picture quality is very, very good overall. I am extremely satisfied with the smva panel.

If you are concerned about the panel lottery, don't be. You are going to get a fantastic looking tv either way.
post #200 of 240 Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

I did a little bit of sleuthing and found out that the "hno1" designation for my tv means I have the "smva" panel. This is supposedly "not as good" as the spva panel.

I can tell you firsthand that the black levels are completely ridiculous first of all, and that picture quality is very, very good overall. I am extremely satisfied with the smva panel.

If you are concerned about the panel lottery, don't be. You are going to get a fantastic looking tv either way.

I had thought there was never any prior confirmation of a "panel lottery" with the D550 since all panels till now were supposedly Samsung revisions. But otherwise you have to be careful with panel numbers, the numbers right before "HN01" are just as important in determining the panel tech, and CMO/Chi-Mei is licensed to build Samsung panels (also known for designing their own S-MVA + A-MVA panels).

Here for instance is the LTA320HN02, a Sasmung designed panel built by one of the CMO factories: http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_...r.php?id=12469

In other words there's still a chance that you have a Samsung panel, but one contracted out of the CMO factory. What is the full model number of your panel by the way? It should be pretty easy to look up at Panelook.com.

Edit: Just did a quick and dirty search, there are a few Samsung panels that end with HN01.
post #201 of 240 Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
mine is a AUO panel but the black levels are very nice.. having my older smaller PC monitor beside it (I use my samsung for a pc monitor) the Samsung wins big time for black levels.
post #202 of 240 Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruB4 View Post

mine is a AUO panel but the black levels are very nice.. having my older smaller PC monitor beside it (I use my samsung for a pc monitor) the Samsung wins big time for black levels.

Subaru can you post how you can tell it's an AUO panel? Did you dig up a panel model # somewhere perhaps, and if so can you post it?

Audio/videoman and yourself are the first to mention any other panel besides Samsung revisions, and i'm sure many D550 shoppers and owners would like to know how to check.

Thank you in advance
post #203 of 240 Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 AM

I actually have the LN40D503, a stripped down Black Friday special, presumably based upon the D550.

The only info I have is that it is version: "HNO1." There are no numbers before or after. I did a quick bit of research and supposedly hno1 designates an smva panel, which has slightly lower contrast?

All I can say is, whatever panel it it, it looks truly magnificent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

I had thought there was never any prior confirmation of a "panel lottery" with the D550 since all panels till now were supposedly Samsung revisions. But otherwise you have to be careful with panel numbers, the numbers right before "HN01" are just as important in determining the panel tech, and CMO/Chi-Mei is licensed to build Samsung panels (also known for designing their own S-MVA + A-MVA panels).

Here for instance is the LTA320HN02, a Sasmung designed panel built by one of the CMO factories: http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail_...r.php?id=12469

In other words there's still a chance that you have a Samsung panel, but one contracted out of the CMO factory. What is the full model number of your panel by the way? It should be pretty easy to look up at Panelook.com.

Edit: Just did a quick and dirty search, there are a few Samsung panels that end with HN01.

post #204 of 240 Old 02-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Just received a Samsung LN46D550 for our museum's introductory video which is approximately seven minutes long. I am curious about the USB input. Does anyone know if I put the video on a Flash Drive (at one of the acceptable formats) whether the TV is capable of playing it in a repeat mode?

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
post #205 of 240 Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Good question... I have the of Malena on a USb flash right now.. let me see if it allows it..
post #206 of 240 Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

gives me the option to repeat from title or all.
post #207 of 240 Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 PM

Fabulous, thanks!

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
post #208 of 240 Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

One little issue with my tv that I hear some some channels it's with spoken words it sounds very airy sounding with like a digital tail end.. it's hard to discribe but it sounds very digital..
post #209 of 240 Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Question I just got an Ln37d550 and am using an hdmi cable to run my xbox 360 s. Well the issue im having is if I turn off the digital noise filter I can see little squares on a dark screen. Its like a grid pattern all over the screen. If I turn the digital noise filter to low or auto it goes away but loose some detail. If it on medium or high it shows up but not as much as it is when its turned off. I've tried a new cable still there. When I hook ip to my LG and turn off the digital noise filter no grid pattern. Has anyone else experienced this? I've even exchanged this tv thinking that was the problem. Please help I like this tv but don't like having filters on it.
post #210 of 240 Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 AM

I just got a LN23D550 (SQ01 panel version) for a secondary TV for use primarily watch Clear Channel QAM (i.e., no STB connected) and DVD/BD.

Two questions:

(1) How did you arrive at your settings? Did you use a calibration measurement tool or was it largely subjective, perhaps using some test pattern/calibration disc?
(2) Any suggestions on how I might adapt your settings when viewing using the internal tuner (i.e., are there specific settings that you we suggest staying with as good starting points while others might need adjustments).

I do not have any calibration measurement tools, other than the Digital Video Essentials calibration disc (Blu-Ray)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln32d550 , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln46d550 46 Inch 1080p 60hz Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln40d550 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page