Official Samsung LNxxD550 owners thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 240 Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very few posts in this thread about PQ. Consumer Reports' most recent tests rate this tv "excellent" in PQ (tied with the samsung 630). As owners, do you agree or disagree with the rating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 240 Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

Very few posts in this thread about PQ. Consumer Reports' most recent tests rate this tv "excellent" in PQ (tied with the samsung 630). As owners, do you agree or disagree with the rating?

Yes I agree completely - excellent picture quality on my Samsung LN32D550 with none of the uniformity issues (flashlighting, clouding, etc) that plague the more expensive LED models. This series has low power consumption for CCFL backlighting as well.
post #213 of 240 Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 PM

Hi, I entered to service menu using "mute - 1 -8 -2 -power" trying to enable the dtv tunner. After changing the option "local set" to "Kor" I couldn´t get into service menu again. I tried too with "info - menu - mute - power". does any one know another way to enter that menu?. thanks in advance
post #214 of 240 Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM

There is a firmware update for this (an all other samsungs) version 1026.

They are dependant on your region but for me the update is

T-MST4DEUC-1026.0/T-MSV4DEUC-1008.0

Any ideas what this fixes? Im hoping it resolves known issues with glitches streaming HD mkv's...
post #215 of 240 Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 AM

I purchased a Samsung 40" 1080p LCD TV (LN40D550) at future shop yesterday. Everything works great, except when I hook up a laptop to the TV through a SVGA cable. The laptop screen appears on the TV, but there is a strong pink colour which makes it hard to see. Tried a different laptop and a different SVGA cable, but pink problem still exists.

Any ideas? Thank you.
post #216 of 240 Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Anyone know if the SQ09 in the LN40d550 any good? I know its a samsung panel but is it the same as the SQ01 or any other version? I have s 37 with a AA02 and I like it but notice some slight banding. Just wondering if the SQ09 suffers from the same thing. Found a 40 for only $550 so before I buy it want to make sure banding isn't a problem.
post #217 of 240 Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 AM

I just purchased a LN40D550. I set it up in my spare room I am using for a Dining Room to test it. I used one of the suggested custom calibrations and the Color seemed good. Since I was testing it using a Play Station 2, which is not even HD it is hard to say just how good the video really is. I may try using my daughter's protable hard drive to watch a movie. While I was playing Final Fantasy XXII, I noticed it was picking up all the intricate minute sound effects in the game and the overall Audio was very good.

I will have to get some cables to test it on my PC. I would need to route like a 50 ft Cat5 cable to test it with a computer, so I can pick up the Internet and I need to order another HDMI cable also.

I am glad the FCC Forced me to buy another HDTV. Of course, now I need the FCC to force the cable/dsl/satelited Providers to give me free HD Content. Of course I am just a Moron with a new TV. But I will get over it.

Now I need to start Learning how to convert some digital movies.

I have been streaming a lot of Korean Videos from the Internet. Most of these were originally Korean Television Series, some of which had as many as 12 to 70 1 hour shows in a series. Usually they are all with Sub titles. Some of the shows are Historical and some are modern-day dramas. Some are a little on the EMO side. Koreans seem to make a lot better video than the Chinese ever imagined.

The sticker on my box says it is version SQ09. In contrast, my other TV is a Samsung LN40C500 and the sticker on it says SQ01. Both are working fine, and both have excellent viewing angles. Yes I still have the boxes in the garage. Never know when you might want to send something back.

I tested this TV by plugging in an external Harddrive into a USB input and I was able to play some stored videos on the drive of various file types. We were delighted when they were all able to play properly on the TV. Even some files with codecs that give computers a hard time to play, seemed to play easily.

I ordered a directional HD Antenna because it was on sale for about half-price at Newegg. I am going to test that when it arrives. It is suppose to be a 30 mile directional indoor/outdoor Antenna. This Item was on sale as a one day sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0MC08C1558

The Truth will find a way!
post #218 of 240 Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Hi, a few days ago I posted a problem after accessing to service menu, changing local set to "Kor" and after that I couldn´t access the menu again.
After reading other posts, I could find this method: "to enter in service menu press fast 'info' from tv-s remote control and' factory' from rusamsung remote" (software).
That worked and solved my problem.
Thanks to all.
post #219 of 240 Old 06-10-2012, 07:18 PM

Just got my 46" and side of box says - version dh02 anyone know which screen this is?

Can't find the sq## anywhere, or any other of the letters

Thanks
post #220 of 240 Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 AM

Liked: 20
I am strongly considering the Disney WOW World of Wonder calibration disc for this TV. Has anyone used this calibration disc? Do you recommend it?
post #221 of 240 Old 07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

I definitely agree. One thing I miss with Consumer Reports ratings is that they do far less technical discussion or notes in their articles compared to years ago. In the past, they would have specific notes about things such as black-level performance; now all we get is the colored dots overall for "picture quality".

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #222 of 240 Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Late to the party, I know...

Just grabbed one of these for a decent price from Amazon when my circa 2003 Sammy DLP lost another bulb and I figured I was better off getting an entire television for what 2 bulbs would likely cost.

FWIW, the version is listed as HK06, saw no mentions of that here in the thread and some settings I saw here and tried aren't even close so perhaps this panel is vastly different from what others here post about. I have to admit I'm pretty frustrated trying to get all inputs looking good enough for my mild OCD. Only have 3 inputs plus the OTA coax:
HDMI1 is my Win7 Media Center
HDMI2 is my ancient Roku xd which only does 720p but looks suprisingly good
HDMI3 is an old Sony DVD player, looks better than I think it should :P

My angst is switching between channels on the media center mostly, and the stations here are to blame I'm sure. Switching over to OTA the 3 major networks look damn fine. As far as renaming the win7 MC input, I've tried PC, DVI PC, and TV. I'll go through this thread again now that I'm more familiar with the TV and see if anything pops out at me. One thing I did notice is the blackness of the blacks, which was not possible back in the day when I bought the aforementioned DLP. I also see that having those deep blacks causes other things to look bad so any advice is appreciated.
post #223 of 240 Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Does the LN D550 models support ARC? I don't see anything about it
post #224 of 240 Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Liked: 20
I went into the service menu, and I changed the panel setting. I don't know what the original setting is, as I didn't really know what I was doing. What is panel setting supposed to be?

There is a long list of different panel sizes and types, so I want to know what it's supposed to be for the 40d550.
post #225 of 240 Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Hello,
I have a LN37D550 and need a replacement stand. Does anyone know if the part is tv specific or if I can use one from a different size or model? The prices I've seen are way higher than I expected for a piece of plastic, just looking for any way to get a cheaper option.
Thank you
post #226 of 240 Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmazz View Post

Hello,
I have a LN37D550 and need a replacement stand. Does anyone know if the part is tv specific or if I can use one from a different size or model? The prices I've seen are way higher than I expected for a piece of plastic, just looking for any way to get a cheaper option.
Thank you

I'd say this is a good time to do that "hang it on the wall" thing the kids all do these days...
post #227 of 240 Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubster View Post

I also see that having those deep blacks causes other things to look bad so any advice is appreciated.

If you have the "Black tone" feature engaged, turn that to off. From my experience with it, it basically crushes dark grays and other dark (but not black) colors into a pure jet black. Consider also turning shadow detail to +2.
post #228 of 240 Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM

I've got a problem with my LNxxD550 connecting an external usb hard drive on the usb port... the hard drive is not detected by the TV...
I've tested with an USB drive 8Gb and it worked (the the usb tv port should work...)
I've tried with:
- usb hard drive formated in ntfs -> disk not detected
- usb hard drive formated in FAT32 -> disk not detected
- I've put the last LNxxD550 firmware -> problem not fixed

My external hard drive is a Western Digital of 250Gb... with a direct usb connection (no hub)...

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Thank you,
Vince
post #229 of 240 Old 04-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Hi,

I'm french user of a LE40D550 (LN40D550 in your country).

I give my thanks for this pdf's because in France it's difficult to have an opinion or test of this model (only one user of this TV on a AV forum ^^).

P.S : Sorry for my english.

Julien
post #230 of 240 Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Brille View Post

I've got a problem with my LNxxD550 connecting an external usb hard drive on the usb port... the hard drive is not detected by the TV...

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

Thank you,
Vince
Hi-

I realize that it is 4 months later but I had not seen your post until today.

If the hard drive is the "portable" kind with no separate power supply, that could be the reason. If you have one, try another hard drive (with its own power supply) on the TV.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #231 of 240 Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 AM

Hi, have someone perfect calibration seting for blu-rays? LN/LE32D550 ?? Ty smile.gif
post #232 of 240 Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 AM

I am struggling quite hard to get a good picture for my PS3 in Game Mode, on this set.

Can anyone give me their calibration settings for this model, with a PS3(in game mode).

I'd appreciate it greatly.
post #233 of 240 Old 01-01-2014, 08:44 AM

What picture problems are you having?
post #234 of 240 Old 01-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_ash_xero View Post

I am struggling quite hard to get a good picture for my PS3 in Game Mode, on this set.

Can anyone give me their calibration settings for this model, with a PS3(in game mode).

I'd appreciate it greatly.

I've found the best thing to try first is to rename the input your device is plugged into as "TV".

Source Button, then select the PS3 source >> Tools Button >> Edit Name >> select "TV" Make adjustments to the picture quality from there.

Never have tried this in Game Mode though.
post #235 of 240 Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 AM

I have a lot of trouble getting the picture bright enough, but not looking washed out.

The blacks are very dark. On games like Dark Souls, it's hard to see what's going on. Even when cranking the brightness up in game.
post #236 of 240 Old 01-02-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:

I have a lot of trouble getting the picture bright enough, but not looking washed out.

The blacks are very dark. On games like Dark Souls, it's hard to see what's going on. Even when cranking the brightness up in game.

I'll try to lend a hand. Two questions to get the ball rolling:

1) What is your HDMi black level setting on the TV? On your game console, what's the RGB setting? Full? Limited?

2) What are your gamma, Black tone, shadow detail settings set to on the TV?
post #237 of 240 Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM

RGB level is Full.

Gamma is +1

The black levels are all default.

Shadow Detail is +2.

I've had some luck recently by turning up the Backlight. But any other advice would be great.
post #238 of 240 Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:

RGB level is Full.

Gamma is +1

The black levels are all default.

Shadow Detail is +2.

I've had some luck recently by turning up the Backlight. But any other advice would be great.

Here's a few things to try, and what I'd do if I were in your shoes: Set your HDMI black level to Low on the Samsung. Then set the RGB level on the PS3 to limited. Also disable the 'black tone' and dynamic contrast features if they're on.

If that has an effect, consider setting your backlight to something moderate after doing this. Also consider setting your gamma back to neutral.

From there, use the AVS 709 HD disc or .mp4 test images to set brightness and contrast to correct settings.

Let me know what effect, if any, all that has. Further, if you've made any changes to white balance, I'd go back to defaults before beginning the above.
post #239 of 240 Old 01-05-2014, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I'm gonna be gone for a week or so, but I'll test it out when I get back.
post #240 of 240 Old 07-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Short story: I'm having an intermittent backlight issue that seems to get worse over time: the tv backlight shuts down during use and will not come back on until the TV has been off for at least a few minutes. It is getting worse.

Model Number : LN40D550K1FXZA
Serial Number : Z30F3CTB903526W

I ordered my 40" Samsung LCD TV from Amazon December 27, 2011. Nearly one year later, December 9, 2012, the backlight started going out during use. I'd still get audio, but no video. Weeks away from my warranty expiring, I hurriedly requested support from Samsung. They sent out a tech from a local repair place who replaced -only- the power supply. As I recall, there were no visibly damaged capacitors on the old power supply. Problem solved... until now.

July 1, 2014, the same problem starts. The backlight goes out, and a power cycle fixes it for a while. It keeps going out randomly until it won't stay on long. I can shine a flashlight onto the screen and see that the picture is still there, just too dark to see unaided.

I open the set and find no bulged or leaking capacitors anywhere -they all look great. I look for any broken solder points on the power supply or inverter -nothing. I check the inverter board and find a small (2-4mm) blackened area around some black, plastic looking half-circle that is set in the center of one of the three big transformers on the inverter board. Could this be related?

Last night I unplugged the set and left it until this afternoon and now it is working again for the time being. I don't want to put in a new power supply only to find that it isn't the issue. I'm left wondering if I should order and install a new inverter board. I would love to hear some expert opinions or at least some other input from people who know about these sets.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln32d550 , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln46d550 46 Inch 1080p 60hz Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln40d550 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread