Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE732U Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 111 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3301 of 3822 Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got the 733 from Costco and love it. Picture looks better (calibrated) than the 732, IMHO.
My Neighbor has the 732.
The 5 Year warranty from Costco doesn't hurt either.
Just my $0.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3822 Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

You can get the 732 from Amazon for 2399$ shipped ATM. My recommendation is to go that route. I know some people are happy with their 632's, but I had both the 632 and 732 in my basement and myself (along with the wife) saw a noticeable improvement in PQ with the 732. Quattron aside, I believe it is just an overall better quality LCD panel. Like Waltz said, YMMV but with the price difference being almost zero (when you factor in taxes) and given Amazons excellent return policy I say go for the step up model.

I'd agree that for the same net cost, I'd go with the 732, just because I always want the "better" one, all things being equal. The math was much different when I got my 632; also, I liked the notion of getting it from my local Costco, with the 90-day return policy, etc. And again, I'm thrilled with the 632...
post #3303 of 3822 Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 PM

Liked: 10
Just wanted to post my thoughts on my new 732. just got it yesterday. Pre-Calibration, it seems way oversaturated and football was virtually unwatchable due to the motion trail of the football. Post calibration is much much better. the picture is very good and colors are more natural looking. Football however is still a little bit disappointing. I have all the motion stuff turned off but i still see the Blur trail of the football on most passes. The movement of the players is fine though. I guess i will just have to get used to the blur. I am definitely having some buyers "regret" that i didnt get the 240hz now though. But then again i didnt read their thread to see if they have the same issues or not... Just my 2 cents

The only thing i REALLY know about PJ's is that my wife hates the fact that she was wrong about them.
post #3304 of 3822 Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post

Huh? Explain......

NOOOOO! Don't even try to find out what this is!

Just go about watching your TV without looking for problems. The less you know what to "look" for the better off you are.

Trust me on this.
post #3305 of 3822 Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

Just go about watching your TV without looking for problems. The less you know what to "look" for the better off you are.

Trust me on this.

Lol so true
post #3306 of 3822 Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

Trust me on this.

hehehe, good one. Actually, I only asked because it was a new perceived malaise that I hadn't heard of yet. There's so many now that acronyms are being assigned.

Normally, I'm blissful in my ignorance with regard to all the problems that everyone else sees.
post #3307 of 3822 Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 AM

I recently bought the LC70LE733U from Costco. As a Sony bigot, I was hoping for great results for this Sharp TV. I was VERY disappointed in the color quality - reddish, rugged colors, dark images, etc. Just generally poor performance. I roamed into BestBuy hoping to do some comparisons with other alternatives - Sony, Samsung, etc - and met the Sharp rep, who showed me a phenomenal picture on a 60 series Sharp, discussed the need to calibrate the TV, shared with me 732U settings from CNET and demonstrated some of the calibration Blue Ray DVD tools (Disney's WOW, etc). What a difference. I took home the settings and tried them on my TV. Results still are disappointing. Still rugged reddish cast, etc. I'm about to do a big reset of all values on the TV and try again - but wonder if there are specific calibration settings for the 733 (vs the 732)? Anybody have any? Anybody having this experience and have any suggestions? Thanks.

PS Chad B's 4/1/11 posting of his testing of a 732 had 2 attachments. While named differently, they are both identical and both end without including the calibration settings. Help!
post #3308 of 3822 Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdad View Post

...............showed me a phenomenal picture on a 60 series Sharp, discussed the need to calibrate the TV, shared with me 732U settings from CNET .................
I took home the settings and tried them on my TV. Results still are disappointing. ........................
...............and both end without including the calibration settings. Help!

The notion that you can simply use someone elses settings on a TV is simply incorrect.

All electronic devices such as a television use electronic components that have tolerances. These tolerances result in every unit being different, and so the requirement for variable settings. The default settings could offer anything from a poor to excellent picture. The variable setting allows a range such that an excellent picture can be achieved if set properly.

I know people love to post their settings, but don't expect that to help your TV in the least.
post #3309 of 3822 Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The notion that you can simply use someone elses settings on a TV is simply incorrect.

All electronic devices such as a television use electronic components that have tolerances. These tolerances result in every unit being different, and so the requirement for variable settings. The default settings could offer anything from a poor to excellent picture. The variable setting allows a range such that an excellent picture can be achieved if set properly.

I know people love to post their settings, but don't expect that to help your TV in the least.

No kidding - especially with these sharp units. Settings can be all over the map! I'm currently wrestling with whether or not to shell out the few hundred dollars and have Chad B make a visit...
post #3310 of 3822 Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Well good to know that. I've ordered some DVDs which I hope will help me calibrate the TV. I would hate to have to shell out several $100s on top of the TV. That would be disappointing - and expensive.
post #3311 of 3822 Old 01-01-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Well good to know that. I've ordered some DVDs which I hope will help me calibrate the TV. I would hate to have to shell out several $100s on top of the TV. That would be disappointing - and expensive.

You can download for free the AVS HD709 disk and use that to calibrate your set without spending any money on commercial disks. I would pick one disk though and use that exclusively. Don't mix and match the disks to calibrate and make sure your BD player is not set to do any video processing. A professional calibration is another way to go but you can achieve a very good calibration doing it yourself with time, patience, and help from here. However, doing it yourself all depends on how many calibration options are available on your Sharp.
post #3312 of 3822 Old 01-01-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Absolutely correct. There is enough unit to unit variation that copying someone else's settings is likely to make things worse.

Using the AVS Disk requires a good color filter as well; the Disney WOW disk includes the filter, so I normally recommend that.

If you are still not happy the next step is to either buy a colorimeter + software and take on the task of doing a DIY calibration, or having a pro do it.

I did the former because I am an engineer and pretty hands-on my electronics. It turned out I was pretty happy with just doing a white point, but later I might take a deeper dive into calibration.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #3313 of 3822 Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

Hey pghdad - You are going to need the blue filter that is included with the either the Disney WOW disk, or the Spears and Munsil disk we talked about on New Years Eve to get a more precise color balance. The settings I gave you are a good starting point, but as stated in previous posts, every set is different and your mileage may vary.

http://tv.revision3.com/hdnation/mot...ure-resolution
post #3314 of 3822 Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 AM

blue filter glasses still available from THX for $2+$3-5 shipping. http://www.costore.com/THX
post #3315 of 3822 Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Absolutely correct. There is enough unit to unit variation that copying someone else's settings is likely to make things worse.

Using the AVS Disk requires a good color filter as well; the Disney WOW disk includes the filter, so I normally recommend that.

If you are still not happy the next step is to either buy a colorimeter + software and take on the task of doing a DIY calibration, or having a pro do it.

I did the former because I am an engineer and pretty hands-on my electronics. It turned out I was pretty happy with just doing a white point, but later I might take a deeper dive into calibration.

Any suggestions on a colorimeter and software for someone looking to get started on DIY calibration?
post #3316 of 3822 Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Any suggestions on a colorimeter and software for someone looking to get started on DIY calibration?

I found this site told me everything I needed to know:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I purchased a Spyder sensor but had difficultly with it. Then I got the One Eye LT and it worked great.

Robbin
post #3317 of 3822 Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

I found this site told me everything I needed to know:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I purchased a Spyder sensor but had difficultly with it. Then I got the One Eye LT and it worked great.

This is absolutely fantastic. Awesome stuff, thanks a bunch - cant wait to get started!
post #3318 of 3822 Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm helping a friend move into a larger display, directing him towards this model.

What is the best (or best two or three) wall mounting brackets for these televisions?
post #3319 of 3822 Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM

I got the 70" wall mount when I bought the unit, at Costco, and it works fine (so far)--although hanging a monster like this on the wall isn't for the faint of heart (or limb--my arm is still sore!). The TV is around 100lbs, and the mount is rated to 125, although I have read advice about getting mounts at 3x anticipated load. (FWIW, the online price @ Costco was $200 more than the in-store price--"Free" shipping, my eye!)

Speaking of this purchase: I switched from a Sanyo Z3 projector to this and am thrilled. I can't remember the last time a "thing" gave me such delight! Our media room (until our basement is finished) is a ground-level family room with blackout curtains, and we now no longer need to blackout the room to enjoy most programming. We even had full sun coming into the room for a bit today (while watching the Rose Parade), and it was great!

Out of the box, the "auto" setting isn't bad; I calibrated the "standard" setting using a Spyder but wasn't thrilled with the results--only "color" and not even RGB?. After some tweaking, here's what I'm currently using:

OPC: ON (yes, I know...but you can restrict the OPC ranges and given that we have a ground-floor room with lots of light variance, it's a convenience and one that's easy enough to disengage)
Backlight: -8
Contrast: +31
Brightness: +3
Color: +5 (This is one setting where the Spyder gave me +22 or something really high, which really seemed off)
Tint: +24
All the CMS hue, saturation, value settings are flat (0), but I haven't started to mess with them, yet. I'll probably just use the CNet settings as a baseline and tweak from there.
Color temp: LOW, all LO/HI gains flat / 0
All the other enhancements OFF--especially the "Active Contrast": hate it.

My setup is three sources: Tivo Series III, XBox360, and a Sony BR DVD player all going directly into the TV over HDMI with optical audio out to my Denon receiver to a calibrated 7.1 speaker setup. I have noticed no problems with audio synch. I haven't tested for full 7.1 surround pass-through, though. My receive can do HDMI switching if necessary, so I might rewire it accordingly--especially to reduce the cable clutter behind the TV.

Physically, the box from Costco fit in the back of my 2007 Sienna minivan, at an angle. I would recommend removing or collapsing down/out (not forward) all seats in the back of a minivan.

We now have a new family tradition: Someone says "Holeee COW!" and everyone else comes running to see the breathtaking image on the wall.

Gripe: Lack of dedicated IR codes so that my Harmony ONE remote can directly access AVMode and other functions. Does anyone know if this is even possible for Logitech?
Gripe: Horrible remote (clearly not an area they're giving much thought to).

My biggest gripe is that my wife likes film mode (SOE)! Why, oh WHY did I ever show it to her?!?! :< That being said, there have been a few moments, especially in animation, where it's worked well, but generally it just makes me feel like I'm watching a "making of" featurette and not a movie. I even sat through half of LOTR:Fellowship (on BR) and the movie just seemed silly with that on. Maybe she'll forget about it.

BUT, this was a great purchase--one of my best--especially to replace a five-year-old 720p DLP projector in a room subject to ambient light. Everyone in the family is thrilled, and the price was good.
post #3320 of 3822 Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I know my friend. He would want the mount that is rated 3X the weight of the TV. Would you or any other contributor to this thread happen to know of such a mount, hopefully already used by a thread member?

There's actually a thread on SOE, with some posters engaged in rancorous debate on SOE vs the film look. Some people (I'm not one of them ) believe that SOE is preferable, ushering in a new age of realism and film immersion. Of course I don't think the film maker wants you to see the actor's makeup, or all those little tell tale signs that what you're watching is a movie.

In Drama theory a play or a movie is about "peak moments", or a special or outstanding day in the character's life...the day that something happens...not the day when he goes to the grocery store, dry cleaners, and the library. For the latter, SOE is fine as it imparts a mundane, video look to things.

That's my opinion, but luckily any one can choose for themselves when it comes down to preference.
post #3321 of 3822 Old 01-03-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I'm helping a friend move into a larger display, directing him towards this model.

What is the best (or best two or three) wall mounting brackets for these televisions?

I really like the Sanus LL11, if you are looking for a low profile, non-tilting mount.

Secondly, I tried turning on the dreaded "Film Mode" while watching football this weekend, and noticed it seemed to fix the motion trail (ghost ball look) following the football on certain throws. I didn't notice any real negative effect with it on. Anyone else try film mode with live sports?
post #3322 of 3822 Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I purchased the monoprice 6663 mount and it works as advertised for a tilting mount. FYI, this is the 5th mount I have purchased for various installations and never had a problem. I have had the TV for 2 weeks now and love it for BD movies, it blows me away. For cable a little is left to be desired, but this is a knock on my crappy time warner cable not the TV. I have issues with the picture on my other TVs as well.

I am considering purchasing an extended warranty, what do you all recommend?
post #3323 of 3822 Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Don't know that it's one of the best but it's one of the cheapest and doing a great job for me, it was only $34 when I ordered it back in June 2011:

Digicom PMA-5041

It's rated at 200 lbs so that's double what the TV weighs. I hung on it before I put the TV on it & I'm quite a bit over 200 lbs. Doesn't swivel but it holds the TV close to the wall and tilts which is all I wanted.
post #3324 of 3822 Old 01-03-2012, 02:18 PM

FWIW, I've been noticing a lot of ghosting clouding on my device, so there's a good chance I'll swap it out this weekend. I'll test it some more tonight after the kids go down.
post #3325 of 3822 Old 01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Thomas View Post

FWIW, I've been noticing a lot of ghosting on my device, so there's a good chance I'll swap it out this weekend. I'll test it some more tonight after the kids go down.

Try turning off motion enhancement, that got rid of ghosting for me
post #3326 of 3822 Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Try turning off motion enhancement, that got rid of ghosting for me

#$*# Sorry -- not ghosting, clouding.
post #3327 of 3822 Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Thomas View Post

#$*# Sorry -- not ghosting, clouding.

Ah - yea not much beyond and exchange that you can do about that
post #3328 of 3822 Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I couldn't stand my particular DSE pattern anymore - I've requested an exchange. The particular demo unit at the store looked really good on an all-white screen, far better than mine does. If the replacement isn't any good, I'm outright returning this thing and going (to a sadly smaller) plasma. I'm more tolerant of the engineering issues of plasma (buzzing, flickering, image retention, glossy screen) than I am of the panel flaws of LCD. It drives me insane - I do a lot of HTPC use, and seeing uniformity issues on solid-color screens makes me mental. If I ever hear Sharp say "everything looks good when watching HD movie content and that's all that counts" again... blah...

=Tommy v2=
post #3329 of 3822 Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv2 View Post

I couldn't stand my particular DSE pattern anymore - I've requested an exchange. The particular demo unit at the store looked really good on an all-white screen, far better than mine does. If the replacement isn't any good, I'm outright returning this thing and going (to a sadly smaller) plasma. I'm more tolerant of the engineering issues of plasma (buzzing, flickering, image retention, glossy screen) than I am of the panel flaws of LCD. It drives me insane - I do a lot of HTPC use, and seeing uniformity issues on solid-color screens makes me mental. If I ever hear Sharp say "everything looks good when watching HD movie content and that's all that counts" again... blah...

Are there any people who actually don't have the diamond cross pattern? My understanding is its just inherit to these types of displays.

I also tried a plasma but the buzzing drove me nuts. Plus, I found the overall PQ better on the sharp panel.
post #3330 of 3822 Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The cross pattern wasn't so bad, it was that one section of it had a much thicker, darker line than anywhere else. It was visible all the time on light content. I'm (almost) fine with a consistent grid pattern, at least it's by design and not by fault of manufacturer tolerances.

What I totally dig about this TV is that the Advanced OPC mode kills the backlight on 100% screens, to sooth my poor eyeballs from seeing any sort of clouding on black screens, of which there are many during gaming. That alone saved many hair from being pulled out!

Hope the next one's better - I love the set otherwise. I'm a projector guy so the size doesn't impress me, but it is pretty good for a cheap TV.

=Tommy v2=
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 70le732u Aquos 70 1080p Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70le732u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page