Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE732U Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So yeah, this TV doesn't seem to support HDMI Full Range or PC levels (0-255) or whatever you want to call it unless there is a hidden menu option I'm not aware of. The Gamut Range or whatever setting available in Movie mode doesn't seem to do anything other than make colors strange. This is kind of ridiculous for a 2011 TV, what kind of TV can't accept PC levels in 2011? Oh, this one. 70 inches of unusable with a gaming or HTPC, great job there Sharp.

This TV is so going back to Costco at this point unless someone can tell me how to set PC levels on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

My pioneer 5020 had sync problems too.

Didn't that TV have a Game mode? Not that a plasma should need one or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

So yeah, this TV doesn't seem to support HDMI Full Range or PC levels (0-255) or whatever you want to call it unless there is a hidden menu option I'm not aware of. The Gamut Range or whatever setting available in Movie mode doesn't seem to do anything other than make colors strange. This is kind of ridiculous for a 2011 TV, what kind of TV can't accept PC levels in 2011? Oh, this one. 70 inches of unusable with a gaming or HTPC, great job there Sharp.

This TV is so going back to Costco at this point unless someone can tell me how to set PC levels on it.

Yes it has game mode.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I do believe there is a pc input setting. Did you try that? Also make sure you're on standard gamut not expanded.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

I do believe there is a pc input setting. Did you try that? Also make sure you're on standard gamut not expanded.

Yep, even using the PC setting in the A/V Mode menu instead of Movie or Game, the TV still expects TV levels (16-235) instead of PC levels. I even tried the Samsung trick of renaming the HDMI 1 input to PC and that didn't change anything either. This is the first TV I've seen in years which doesn't have support for RGB Full Range. As oversights go, this one is pretty stupid, I guess it's why Sharp is the only 10G LCD manufacturer in the world and still finds a way to lose tons of money.

There are so many minor flaws with the TV like the DSE on bright uniformly colored screens (like the Windows 7 desktop) which I would be willing to live with compared with the terrible uniformity flaws on the Samsung LCD. But Sharp manages to be the only company in the world which can mass-produce 70" and 80" LCD panels, and then they forget basic things like HDMI Auto-sync (so this TV doesn't have any lip-sync) and RGB Full Range. It's pretty easy to see why Japan is unable to compete with Korea anymore these days with products like these. It's too bad Sony has just about quit the TV business entirely at this point, I would have liked to have seen a Sony XBR with one of these Sharp panels.

I guess this TV has to go back to Costco. It's the biggest goddamned TV I've ever bought but the size only magnifies it's flaws. Maybe this year's 945 "Elite-lite" will support basic things like HDMI Auto-sync and RGB Full Range, and have no DSE as well since it's supposedly based on the $7k Elite designs.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 10
Did I read this correctly? I just bought this TV and its now hanging on my wall. I tried to connect my computer via HDMI and nothing comes up...Is there a workaround for this? I'll be pretty pissed if this cannot work : ( : (

I'm hoping I wrong, but could someone please shed some light? This was supposed to be soley for my HTPC!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibz35 View Post

Did I read this correctly? I just bought this TV and its now hanging on my wall. I tried to connect my computer via HDMI and nothing comes up...Is there a workaround for this? I'll be pretty pissed if this cannot work : ( : (

I'm hoping I wrong, but could someone please shed some light? This was supposed to be soley for my HTPC!

Um.......is the tv on the right input
Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Not that this helps with a 732 but I have my 632 connected via HDMI to an AMD/ATi 6970 and have no issues. I highly doubt the 732 does not work with pc's considering the 632 works fine.

Jason
Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Its very picky with the resolutions. I had it connected through my Denon AVR590 and it would not display anything at any resolution. When I hooked it up directly, it does display, but only 720p...
Old 03-11-2012, 05:58 PM

Computer display res MUST be either 1920x1080 Or 720x1280 at 60hz. Anything else and you shouldn't get a picture.

Sorry, on page 56 of the 733 manual is a chart of the accepted resolutions and vertical scan frequencies for pc.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:47 PM

I will be getting mine 732 tomorrow and wondering if I should hang it on the wall or not. I have pretty good tv stand already.

I have bought wall mount few month ago, which would work with 732, but I might use it for old tv if I will decide to let sharp stand.

What do you all this?
Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemC View Post

Computer display res MUST be either 1920x1080 Or 720x1280 at 60hz. Anything else and you shouldn't get a picture.

Sorry, on page 56 of the 733 manual is a chart of the accepted resolutions and vertical scan frequencies for pc.

I saw this page and used those resolutions. A direct HDMI connection to the TV works, but not through my receiver. So I'll just have to work around it.

(I'd suggest hanging it on the wall...actually weighs as much as my 50" plasma)
Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Does your receiver pass-thru the signal or does it convert it to a specific resolution? That may be the problem.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 AM

Hey all,

I just bought this TV from Best Buy tonight and it has some washed out, cloudy areas when the screen is black (see photo). The upper left corner is most noticable as it's always there if the black bars are present, while the other areas are only apparent when the rest of the screen is dark (like ending credits). The brightest areas in the bottom right are reflections.

This was an open box item being used as a floor model. It had been returned by a previous customer who said he didn't like the picture, but apparently he was only watching SD content. I picked it up for a pretty great price and can't swap it for another one since they're out of stock. Should I call Sharp or is this a common issue? It looks great otherwise but I don't think I can live with these blotches being there.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewstair View Post

Hey all,

I just bought this TV from Best Buy tonight and it has some washed out, cloudy areas when the screen is black (see photo). The upper left corner is most noticable as it's always there if the black bars are present, while the other areas are only apparent when the rest of the screen is dark (like ending credits). The brightest areas in the bottom right are reflections.

This was an open box item being used as a floor model. It had been returned by a previous customer who said he didn't like the picture, but apparently he was only watching SD content. I picked it up for a pretty great price and can't swap it for another one since they're out of stock. Should I call Sharp or is this a common issue? It looks great otherwise but I don't think I can live with these blotches being there.

That is some nasty clouding. What do you have the backlighting set to on the tv? If you set it high at +12 then you will see some clouding. However, if you see that type of clouding set at 0, then you have aproblem and you should return the tv.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:49 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Hey all,

How often do you watch a blank screen??? During normal viewing I'll bet you have a beautiful picture. Image retention on a plasma tv would bother me far more than what you are seeing. To each his own.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hey all,

Assuming this is on zero back light level, that is pretty bad. I'd say you have a reasonable chance at getting a return from Sharp. I've returned a 732 for cloudiness so it can be done.

It hurts nothing to start the process with Sharp. They will ask you to send a series of pictures (no black screens) to show the issue.

Robbin
Old 03-16-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey all,

Are ya nuts....make best buy swap it immediately. You likely paid a premium so make bb earn their money
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Are ya nuts....make best buy swap it immediately. You likely paid a premium so make bb earn their money

It was a floor model. No premium.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I would still make bb swap it with a new one, floor model or not
Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

That is some nasty clouding. What do you have the backlighting set to on the tv? If you set it high at +12 then you will see some clouding. However, if you see that type of clouding set at 0, then you have aproblem and you should return the tv.

I have it set at +12 per a guide I found. They had it on +16 at the store. Will try dropping it down.

They are completely out of them at best buy and won't be getting more, so if I take it back there I have to buy elsewhere and pay a lot more.

It's not the worst issue, but that spot in the upper left was really distracting while watching a movie last night.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM

I know this is going to sound crazy, but try gently rubbing the problem areas with a microfiber cloth with a white screen on. Sometimes that is enough to set things right. Could be slight separation of the panel layers during delivery. I stress GENTLE here.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 AM

Any suggestions for a full white screen image?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Does your receiver pass-thru the signal or does it convert it to a specific resolution? That may be the problem.

Nope just a pass through. Worked fine on my 50" plasma
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions for a full white screen image?

Use a white full screen image from the rec 709 disk you can download from the forum here. If you go back a few pages I posted a link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know this is going to sound crazy, but try gently rubbing the problem areas with a microfiber cloth with a white screen on. Sometimes that is enough to set things right. Could be slight separation of the panel layers during delivery. I stress GENTLE here.

Is there a reason why it has to be a white screen?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:17 AM

That way ALL the pixels are active when you do it. Seems to work better for me, and helped somewhat with clearing up SOME of the DSE. YMMV of course, and there is very little tech to back this up except for some LCD repair recommendations I read many moons ago on repairing stuck pixels and other LCD issues.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. Just remembered, Apple advises the white screen trick when there are screen problems on their imacs and other lcd monitors.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Just picked up a 70LE733U. What is this set equivalent to as far as the threads? And are there any good settings for this set out there? I havent tried any of the ones I've seen as I dont know the difference in this set and the others. I only see a cloudy/washed image on almost intire white screen. Very little blur on NCAA basketball which makes me happy as its very minimal. Overall pretty good for the price and if can get the cloudiness to a manageable level then will be keeping this set.

Its almost like there are large diamond shapes across the top of the screen about 7 inches from the very top down towards the bottom
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM

Thought I would post my settings, maybe help someone out that was as dissatisfied with this set as I was.
AV MODE: MOVIE
OPC: Off
Backlight: +12
Contrast: +30
Brightness: 0
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: 0
Y: 0
G: -5
C: +6
B: -1
M: +2

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: 0
Y: -1
G: -6
C: 0
B: -9
M: -2

C.M.S. -Value
R: +2
Y: 0
G: +3
C: +4
B: 0
M: 0

Color Gamut Range: Standard

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): -3
G Gain (LO): -3
B Gain (LO): -3
R Gain (HI): +1
G Gain (HI): -5
B Gain (HI): -4

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High
Quad Pixel Plus: On
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: 0
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]

Setting is for dark room

AV mode - movie
OPC - off
Backlight (+10)
Contrast (+32)
Brightness (0)
Color (0)
Tint (0)
Sharpness (0)

Advance menu
C.M.S. Hue
+6, -2, 0, +5, +22, -4

C.M.S. Saturation
-5, +3, +4, 0, -21, 0

C.M.S. Value
+2, 0, +1, 0, +3, 0

Color Gamut Range - standard
Color temp. - low +19, 0, -3, +21, 0, 0
Motion enhancement - off
quad pixel plus - off
Active constrast - off
Gamma adjustment (-1)
Film mode - off
Digital noise reduction - off
Monochrome - off
Range of OPC - Max (+1), Min (-6)

This setting is professional calibration.

I'm not the best at reviews, my grammar sucks, my apologies. there is motion blur that I just cannot stand while playing xbox, there is clouding, sdtv is horrible with screen stretched, I use sidebar view mode, hd on the other hand I use dot by dot and it looks pretty good 1080i.
Timewarner cable service, hdmi cables.
Also I have a LG soundbar 3.1 connected with optical cable and the sound is not syncing properly, but it syncs perfect with my Samsung.
Bluray looks better on my Samsung plasma 5 series, but it's no slouch on this set, it's just not what I would expect for a tv that costs 4x more than my plasma.

Overall I'm not happy and will be returning to store.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM

Bought one today from Best Buy and should have it by Sunday. Upgrading from a 65" Mitsubishi DLP.

Tags
Sharp Lc 70le732u Aquos 70 1080p Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv