Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE732U Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3824 Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi,
This is my first post in this forum and I've been trying to read as much as I can before I pull the trigger. This forum has been very helpful. I'm leaning towards the 732 but I keep thinking it might be nice to have 3D so I may wait for the 735. I'm curious as to all the comments regarding the lack of anything above 65" except the Sharp. Is the Mitsubishi DLP 73" really so inferior that they're not worth considering?

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Completed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3824 Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 523
This is a flat panel forum. It's not about some DLP being that inferior. It's about it not being a flat panel.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #363 of 3824 Old 04-16-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I do not mind saying, in my eyes the Mitsubishi DLP is inferior. They are about 10" deep and they have a wearable part, a DLP bulb that on average goes out every 3000 hours and costs about $150-$250 to replace.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #364 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I thought they were close, but the Samsung has the will in quality. Sharp wins in overall value !

935 will be the only local dimming set, will be released on or around 08/2011.

Chris: Thanks for the info. Am I correct in assuming Sharp is going to add local dimming to an edge lit set? The reason I say this is that Sharp seems to use the same backlighting tech for all units in a given model number series e.g. all there 700 series are full array while all 800 and 900 series listed on the website are edge lit ergo the 935 will be edge lit. Thanks
post #365 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Hi,
This is my first post in this forum and I've been trying to read as much as I can before I pull the trigger. This forum has been very helpful. I'm leaning towards the 732 but I keep thinking it might be nice to have 3D so I may wait for the 735. I'm curious as to all the comments regarding the lack of anything above 65" except the Sharp. Is the Mitsubishi DLP 73" really so inferior that they're not worth considering?

Pretty much. Who wants to deal with bulbs and color wheels unless there is some other benefit like size?

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
post #366 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

This is a flat panel forum. It's not about some DLP being that inferior. It's about it not being a flat panel.

Sorry, as I said I'm new to this and I still have a Hitachi 65" RCP so to my eyes the DLP was a flat screen. Point taken.
Is DLP a dated, inferior technology?

Doug

Completed

post #367 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

Sorry, as I said I'm new to this and I still have a Hitachi 65" RCP so to my eyes the DLP was a flat screen. Point taken.
Is DLP a dated, inferior technology?

Not at all. DLP works extremely well for many applications involving projectors. It can present a state of the art picture when done right. IMAX theaters were revolutionized by the switch from film to DLP projectors. When you go to see a 3D movie at an IMAX you are looking at an image generated by a pair of DLP projectors.

However if you are working in a home environment where a flat screen can be used DLP RPTVs are not that popular for a variety of reasons.

post #368 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Again. the 935 WILL NOT BE EDGE LIT. It is a full array, local dimming variant of the 70" design.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #369 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Again. the 935 WILL NOT BE EDGE LIT. It is a full array, local dimming variant of the 70" design.

Rogo: All I am saying is that if Sharp continues with their previous numbering convention them the 935 will be edge lit. I hope it isn't either because all my research indicates that full array is better with local dimming. Hopefully Chris has enough info to clear this up.
post #370 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I'm new to the LCD forum (just purchased the 732) so pardon my intrusion. Would a visual aid help?
LL

Robbin
post #371 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let's hear some suggested settings 732 owners!
post #372 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Rogo: All I am saying is that if Sharp continues with their previous numbering convention them the 935 will be edge lit. I hope it isn't either because all my research indicates that full array is better with local dimming. Hopefully Chris has enough info to clear this up.

If 732 is full array then 935 cannot be edge lit. I had thought 732 would be edge lit to price at $3000 and create product differentiation because edge lit at such large size will likely have serious uniformity issue.
post #373 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 05:55 PM

I spent about two hours today at my local Fry's looking at this set. I have to say I was really impressed with it, although I spent some time adjusting it a bit at the start. I had the guys connect a blu ray player and try a number of things including Alice in Wonderland since the satellite feed was not optimal.

What struck me first was the three dimensional effect which was pretty stunning. Perhaps the size has something to do with it but the immersion you feel in looking at the films was very, very impressive. The low level detail is just unreal, with my wife actually stating that it would change how we view films, in that so much detail seems unnatural to her.

In terms of the black levels I am sure that sets can be found which measure better, but I think one would be hard pressed to be able to detect improvements with the naked eye.

In terms of the colors, they appeared very vibrant with tons of pop. Maybe not the perfect balance straight out of the box, but extremely nice. Very rich, nicely saturated.

We spent at least half the time walking back and forth in front of it from about 12 feet away trying to detect changes in brightness, etc. due to viewing angle since that has been mentioned here a lot. I concluded that about plus or minus thirty degrees it was undetectable, but if you went pretty far, maybe 45 degrees you could see some fall off. For normal viewing angles that you would get in a movie theater there wasn't anything either of us could see or detect, which was surprising to me. Looking from a radical viewing angle you will be viewing a compressed image anyway so I am unsure what the real life significance of this.

I am not saying viewing angle changes are not there, or that viewing angle changes can't be measured on this device. I am sure they can. I am just saying that my observations are that in any sort of normal viewing environment its not an issue and that the real life viewing angle is not in anyway a limitation.

I also spent a lot of time looking for motion effects on the various program materials and could identify no lags, no whatever on any program material. The motion was always smooth to us and film-like given the material.

We concluded this a ridiculously good TV and an extraordinary value no matter how you look at it. I am not a video technician or expert, YMMV of course, but I came home, contacted Cleveland Plasma and am ordering one. I would suggest that anyone thinking about this set find one and go watch for awhile, then judge for yourself.
post #374 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
pick one?? please this set the 70'' sharp or the un65d8000
post #375 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
The only time that I find LCD viewing angles to be truly distracting is in a dark room where the black level shift is increadibly noticable. In a bright room you will only notice a minor shift in color saturation and maybe a slight lightening in the blacks. Annoying? yes. A deal breaker? Maybe.

This Sharp is easily at the top of my list of potential HDTVs with Samsung's 64D7000 Plasma right under it. If Amazon can get the Sharp in stock then I will probably go with the 70inch Monster. (mainly for the free home delivery and basic setup) Best Buy seems to be on an instore only order basis right now and last time I went there for a TV they wanted to charge me a considerable amount for shipping it to my home. I would really like to see a side by side of this Sharp next to some of the top rated HDTVs of this year.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #376 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I thought they were close, but the Samsung has the will in quality. Sharp wins in overall value !

935 will be the only local dimming set, will be released on or around 08/2011.

What is the projected release date month of the 70" 735 then? 06/2011?
post #377 of 3824 Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408wd1 View Post

pick one?? please this set the 70'' sharp or the un65d8000

IF your primary criteria is maxing PQ without price being major factor (you are videophile striving for ultimate) than you should wait when the top range Sharp model comes and compare it to the top range Samsung 65D8000 (and perhaps top range Sony 65" HX 929). Then you will get the best of 2011.

IF you are more on optimizing price/performance while size matters, go for the current 70" Sharp. Nothing will beat Sharp in this respect.

irkuck
post #378 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Got my 732 delivered Friday night from Sears. Haven't done much intense tweaking, but I'm really impressed with the picture. The dynamic settings from the factory are so far over the top, I can't imagine using them in real life - even for a demo. The Movie setting with a few adjustments seems to work best for my room.

As for the issues some have noted, I can see them, but only when I try. I'm one of those who can't stand to watch a DLP because of rainbows nor plasma's because of flicker, so it's not that I don't notice the details. To me, the dirty screen effect and the contrast roll-off with indirect viewing are just not that bad. The depth of the picture is just amazing.

Can't wait for Monday Night Football - Doh! Do scabs play on Mondays?
post #379 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

If 732 is full array then 935 cannot be edge lit. I had thought 732 would be edge lit to price at $3000 and create product differentiation because edge lit at such large size will likely have serious uniformity issue.

Right, and maybe Sharp was unable to save a few $$$ on the low end 70" because it cannot be made edge lit and avoid looking terrible. Regardless, I don't much care what the higher end 70" will carry as a model #. I am certain it will be full array backlit with local dimming. In fact, that's an essential differentiator over the existing model. The other essential differentiators are refresh rate and 3-D.

I also don't believe Sharp is beholden to their own naming convention, which 99.9% consumers would never care about anyway. Are there other 732 series TVs out from Sharp? And do they also have full array backlights? I ask only for curiosity.

post #380 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post

What is the projected release date month of the 70" 735 then? 06/2011?

We did not get a release date on that one, just the 835 In 1.5 months, and the 935 in 3.5 months.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #381 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM

I bought one of these from Sears last week and was initially very impressed. I didn't notice any issues with off-axis viewing. The picture was very clear, good colors, looked great. However , I then noticed that when the screen was dark, there were a couple blobs of color coming from the side, one bluish, one yellowish. I think this is backlight bleed? Considering what a huge PITA it will be to pack this back up and return it, I tried to convince myself to ignore it, but again, they were very apparent in night scenes, or space scenes, or any scene with darkness on the edge of the screen, so I guess I'm going to take it back. Has anyone else noticed this problem on their set? There are actually blobs on both the left edge and right edge, the ones on the left are most noticiable. The one I picked up was the only one in stock in any store in my area, so I dunno what my chances are of getting a replacement. I'm going to try and attach a picture here showing the problem:

post #382 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Does anyone know if BestBuy sells this set? I'm also wondering if it would be a good replacement for my 67" LED DLP set.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #383 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhenson View Post

I bought one of these from Sears last week and was initially very impressed. I didn't notice any issues with off-axis viewing. The picture was very clear, good colors, looked great. However , I then noticed that when the screen was dark, there were a couple blobs of color coming from the side, one bluish, one yellowish. I think this is backlight bleed?

Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. Most of us have seen some white clouding on a dark screen with no input which doesn't seem to affect viewing, but this is something else again.

With Sears you should get a 30 day right of return. You should be able to do a swap.

post #384 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. Most of us have seen some white clouding on a dark screen with no input which doesn't seem to affect viewing, but this is something else again.

With Sears you should get a 30 day right of return. You should be able to do a swap.

I saw the clouding too, but it wasn't very bad, I could live with that. I don't anticipate any problems returning it (other than the hassle of trying to get it all back in the box, and finding a way to keep the box together, packing tape won't be as strong as the original straps), just trouble getting another one, there don't seem to be many in stock in my area . I'm glad no one else has had this issue, I'd hate to get another and then have it do the same thing. Hopefully this is an isolated bad unit.

Thanks for the feedback...
post #385 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Best Buy had the LC-70LE732U on sell over the weekend for $300 off MSRP, but you cannot buy them online it's an in store item only.
post #386 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM

hi there,
just imported one to my country. not received yet.
it will be a replacement for my sanyo plv-z2000.
here power supply is 240V 50Hz.
planing to use a stepdown transformer only.
will the frequence be an issue? should I get a frequence converter?
any owner could please tell me what is written in the set tag/label regarding power requirement?
manual says 120V 60Hz.
many thanks.
fernando.
post #387 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando_bm View Post

hi there,
just imported one to my country. not received yet.
it will be a replacement for my sanyo plv-z2000.
here power supply is 240V 50Hz.
planing to use a stepdown transformer only.
will the frequence be an issue? should I get a frequence converter?
any owner could please tell me what is written in the set tag/label regarding power requirement?
manual says 120V 60Hz.
many thanks.
fernando.

The back of the set label says 120v 60 ~ 237W. The power cord is captive but there is a cover plate with a screw over where the cord enters the TV. I didn't remove the plate to look.

post #388 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

The back of the set label says 120v 60 ~ 237W. The power cord is captive but there is a cover plate with a screw over where the cord enters the TV. I didn't remove the plate to look.

many thanks !
post #389 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 PM

OK, this set has now supplanted the Mits 82738 DLP at the top of my replacement list for my 55" RPTV. I have been struggling to find the right sized rack on which to set the aforementioned monster Mitsubishi (were I to to get the S/O approval); there seem to be more and better (and less expensive) racks in the size range that the Sharp 70" would require.

I intend to make the next big-screen purchase the largest I can afford, and I have been very impressed with the three-dimensionality of the LED LCD's I have seen - my biggest complaint with them has been jerky motion from vertical camera panning - it completely takes me out of the story and enjoyment of whatever I'm watching.

Can owners confirm that the Sharp does not suffer from these anomolies, and offer advice as to the best setting to allow for the smoothest and most natural appearance with a lot of camera moves in film?
post #390 of 3824 Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhenson View Post
I saw the clouding too, but it wasn't very bad, I could live with that. I don't anticipate any problems returning it (other than the hassle of trying to get it all back in the box, and finding a way to keep the box together, packing tape won't be as strong as the original straps), just trouble getting another one, there don't seem to be many in stock in my area . I'm glad no one else has had this issue, I'd hate to get another and then have it do the same thing. Hopefully this is an isolated bad unit.

Thanks for the feedback...
Just going to throw this out there for you. Rather than you packing it back up in the box and going through all the hastle. Have you considered calling Sharp ? These sets come with the Aquos Advantage. From what I gather, in one of the booklets that comes with the TV they will set up a service call within 24 hrs. (depending on location) (that's an iffy part for me) If they can't fix it and have to remove the TV they give you a loaner. I'm sure it won't be the same make and model, but all the hastle is now their's and not your's. I would imagine, that if it could not be repaired that they would have to replace it. Again, placing all or at least most of the hastle on them.

It may be something worth looking in to.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 70le732u Aquos 70 1080p Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70le732u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page