Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE732U Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Thanks. The degree of improvement does appear to be impressive. I'd recommend removing the reset numbers also.

I agree about the degree of improvement. It was particularly surprising that the light output went from 17 to 36 fL for example. My point was that it seems these sets have high potential but greatly benefit from a good calibration.

Mine was quite different out of the box than Chad's first example, although they both seemed to end up pretty similar post calibration.

Sorry for creating confusion in posting reset numbers, I am not a frequent poster or an expert. I just like a great picture on my TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
XJ6

Liked: 11
Hi Gents,

My set arrived yesterday and had a chance to play with it for just more than an hour. There is not much to report yet, except for the general physical exam results, some welcomed surprises on the Netflix app for those interested and a brief comment on the TV tuner. Sorry in advance but my writing is always a lot longer than what I intend to write.

First of all, glad to say I did not see and clouding or bleeding issues on my set at all. I looked very hard for them but just didn't. There were reflections from the 2 small windows at the back of the room. But they were not any worse than what you'd typically see on sets at the stores. Accept it - there will always be some reflections on these panels from all manufacturers. What I like about them was they were kind of blurred and smeared. I know my windows but from looking at the screen, I could only tell the reflections were from light sources and not decisively from windows. That is the best way I could describe it. On the viewing angle, I thought it was very good. I moved from side to side (to even beyond the boundary from a 5ft viewing distance) and did not see significant or sudden drops in the lightness. There had to be drops but there were gradual. On scenes with plain/monotonic backgrounds I did not see any uniformity issues, either. So, overall, I have not seen any flaws worth being concerned about yet.

Secondly, the set will be used in our second and multi-purpose room where OTA HDTV and Netflix are the main sources so I tried to set up NF first. That required setting up the wireless connection and that was a breeze. My AT&T 2Wire router was only 5ft away any. But when bringing NF for the first time, the set informed (and asked) me to do a firmware update in order for NF to work. I went ahead with that and it took about 7min, no problems here either. You can see the update in progress here:

For those interested in NF, once I got NF enabled, I found those welcomed surprises. First surprise is it allows you to search by title and genres and also has suggestions for you. You can see the main menu here:

Second one is it seems to also support DD5.1 and Subtitles for those programs that have them:

So, overall, it does everything that my Roku XDS does plus more: DD5.1 and Subtitles. What it lacks is the signal/rate indicator so you're left in the blind. Unfortunately, I won't have a sound system in my room so 5.1 discreet won't be heard

Last, the TV tuner is a lot stronger than my Sammy 260 HD tuner box. It solidly picked up all the channels that I was supposed to be able to get, even with a DIY coat-hanger antenna. It also changed channels more quickly too.

In summary, it is ok so far, no flaws and no wow's either. Don't be alarmed just about the "no wow's" yet. No wow's simply because I have turned off all image processing functions and set other controls to either zero or neutral. That is the same reason I did not show any pix of a real program. The final verdict (mine anyway) will come after a thorough calibration, which hopefully can be done by the weekend.

Cheers.
post #453 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 713
So this set is getting DD 5.1 and 1080P from Netflix?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #454 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 03:06 PM

I cant wait for your review. Since your picture is trully black with no "clouding" I think I will ask for a replacement.

Keep us posted my friend.
post #455 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM
XJ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So this set is getting DD 5.1 and 1080P from Netflix?

Hi Aaronwt, I recognize you from the Roku thread.

I have not heard anything on 1080p yet, so I guess it's a no. It will be easy to tell on this set because 720p pictures will not fill up the screen when you set the view mode to 'native'. With that ATT 6Mps service I am not sure if I will ever see 1080p stream from any provider anyway.
post #456 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
XJ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper5.56 View Post

I cant wait for your review. Since your picture is trully black with no "clouding" I think I will ask for a replacement.

Keep us posted my friend.

Hi,
If that was addressed to me then I will try my best...
post #457 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM

*XJ6* Yes it was for you. Sorry I am still learning how to post correctly.

I am curious if your screen stays fully black and no clouding when you actually feed it a signal via component or HDMI cables. I will look out for your review.

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL
post #458 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I did a quick test of the set's DLNA functions last night. I set up a server running miniDLNA on an Atom box running Linux that I use for a variety of jobs (email, file serving etc) that I normally leave on 24x7. From this I was able to play back vob files as well as mp3's.

It's the first mp3 player with a 70" screen .

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #459 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 PM

post #460 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM

All pics taken with a digital camera, no flash, ~ 1/15 sec shutter speed. I just picked up my HD cable box today and everything looks great. I'm happy with black levels, screen uniformity. Watched some basketball and hockey, both looked very good. Very satisfied so far since I'm moving UP from an older 37" HP LCD. Still playing with the settings a little but overall I'm pretty close I believe. I'll let everyone know if any issues crop up. Haven't had it online yet to do the firmware update, probably this weekend.

Played a short snippet of Toy Story 3 on Bluray and it looked outstanding!

Just sitting on the floor for now, until I can complete a built-in EC for it and the other equipment. I'll post pics of that project later if anyone is interested.

Ordered mine from Cleveland Plasma and Chris did a great job with the order.
post #461 of 3824 Old 04-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtelevision View Post
First let me say that this is a great Forum and I'm glad to know that there are others like you Marky22 that are in the same predicament as me! I am also looking for at LEAST a 60" set, but much preferably a 65" set and have been tracking the 65 d8000 and Sony 65 929 which both aren't available yet. When I found out through this forum that the monster 70" Sharp was available at Sears, I went there last night to check it out. Before seeing the set, my thought was that size was more important than PQ, but after seeing the Sharp, I was sadly disappointed and more confused.

I've read other posts and reviews on this site and I am a bit surprised how they were generally positive on the 70" Sharp. Maybe it was the particular set I saw at Sears but it just didn't impress me (other than the size). I didn't have much time but checked the contrast, color and brightness and they were adjusted to reasonably high settings. It just didn't have any pop and was dull in comparison to even the 64" samsung plasma and the 60" sharp nearby. It also had a drop off in brightness as others have mentioned when viewing off angle.

I want to wall mount whatever TV I buy and a deal breaker for me on this set is how the back of the set it shaped. It is mostly 2" thick except for the very bottom where it bloats out to 3.5". Although you could wall mount this monster it wouldn't look right with the bottom tilting outward. I will have to wait for the other Sharp 70's and hopefully they are no thicker than 2" or go for the 65" Sony or Samsung. Although I already own a small Sharp LCD and am very satisfied with it, I think I prefer the fit and finish of the Sony and Samsungs. To me they look much nicer when turned off.
Update: 4/21/11:
I saw the set again but this time at Best Buy and the picture looked much better than the one I saw at Sears. The colors were a little over saturated and I wasn't able to adjust the color setting but I think it would have helped.

Although it wasn't necessarily a fair comparison, there was a 55d8000 and another 60" samsung plasma next to it and the Samsungs each had a more natural and sharper looking picture. However, I couldn't get over the size advantage of the Sharp. If I was able to turn down the color a bit, I think I would've preferred the larger screen. The value of the 732 is certainly unquestionable but I'm willing to wait for the Sharp 735 or 935 to see what the price and performance will be for those sets. I'm hopeful!
post #462 of 3824 Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 AM

***DENNYL***

On your revised version on the PDF, you took off the calibration settings. Are you able to post those settings again? Just asking because I have some messages from other users asking for them and I just want to make sure that it is ok with you first or just have you post them so that it comes from the horses mouth if you know what I mean.

Great pictures.

I watched THE FIGHTER last night and i saw the clouding again.
After that I turned on TCM channel and there was a movie in widescreen. The black bars had NO clouding what so ever.

Could this be in the dvd's or cables...I am really stumped on this because I only see it on some programming.

Thanks
post #463 of 3824 Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM

***JOHNSONBREWER***

Can I ask what your settings are? I would love to know what they are set at because I am still messing around with mine..Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
post #464 of 3824 Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 AM

The pics posted last night were "mistakenly" made with standard out-of-the-box settings. I played with the settings in movie mode the night before using just the RF cable input on SD material. After I picked up my HD box I hooked it up with component and then was so excited I didnt' think to check that inputs' settings. After I posted the pics I thought to look at the setup menu and yep, everything was set to "0" or standard mode. But the HD stuff still looked great at those settings. After tweaking with HD input, it looks even better. So I'm still very happy with it. I'm going with an HDMI cable from the converter box long-term ( should arrive from Monoprice today or tomorrow ) and then I'll make sure to check that inputs' settings as well.

DOH
post #465 of 3824 Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper5.56 View Post

***DENNYL***

On your revised version on the PDF, you took off the calibration settings. Are you able to post those settings again? Just asking because I have some messages from other users asking for them and I just want to make sure that it is ok with you first or just have you post them so that it comes from the horses mouth if you know what I mean.

Great pictures.

I watched THE FIGHTER last night and i saw the clouding again.
After that I turned on TCM channel and there was a movie in widescreen. The black bars had NO clouding what so ever.

Could this be in the dvd's or cables...I am really stumped on this because I only see it on some programming.

Thanks

Crummy component cables or a crummy low-end DVD player could cause problems.

post #466 of 3824 Old 04-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Sniper 5.56

I was not able to send you a private message but here are my thoughts from your last message.

If you want to post your calibration settings I would suggest for you to start a new Thread following the accustomed format and call it something like "OFFICIAL SHARP LC-70LE732 Calibration/Settings Thread". This way there will be no lines crossed or people's feelings hurt.

On the clouding issue I can see some in my set due to excessive compression from Diretv's 1080i signal but none when viewing both Blue Ray ( on PS3) or test screens from a Video Essential DVD.

Let me know if I can be of any help and once again thank you for contributing to the forum.
post #467 of 3824 Old 04-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a "cloudy" area on the bottom of the screen that I can see with an all black screen but not with letter bars. I think that my eye is unable to see the faint white spot while something brighter is keeping my iris closed more so then when looking at all black.

Robbin
post #468 of 3824 Old 04-22-2011, 05:43 PM

All, looking for feedback as I have a new 832 model but have issues with motion artifacts and bluryness (belive me I've tried everything and am one of the few who have this issue). I'm going to return this unit and looking to purchase the 70" but want to confirm this unit doesnt have the same issue. Thanks!
post #469 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 01:31 AM

This is available at bb.
post #470 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakinaddy View Post

This is available at bb.

Yep, it is where I plan on getting it from. Since it is instore only I will have to have it delivered (scared of the price for shipping that they will ask) Hopefully it won't be too expensive...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #471 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I remember having cloudiness with a previous Sharp LCD and it was quite annoying. I may have to bail on getting this set.

Also, spaghetti eating LC-70LE732 owners beware of meatballs with a chance of cloudy.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest:
post #472 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cissado View Post

Maybe it's finally time to upgrade from my 65 inch RPTV.

Can I get a serious answer here please. I know I have a dinosaur of a TV in my toshiba 65h80... something.

LOL... I am almost in the same boat - I have a 57" Toshiba 57HX81 bought in 2000. It was a top rated TV back then but clearly showing its age now. I have my eye on the 732 - just need to convince the wife now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

From what you have been watching. Its a new world !!!

Good to hear!

By the way, what is the best height to mount a TV on the wall? I was thinking that the middle of the screen should be at eye level when seated, but just eyeballing the wall, that looks a bit low visually. Is the general approach to mount it a bit higher, say bottom bezel at eye level and tilt it down or something?
post #473 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Honestly, there is no really good way to mount the TV on the wall for the reasons you state. I will >never< again put a TV higher than eyes at about 1/3 of the way up the screen, and I prefer it a bit lower. If you can make that work on your wall visually, I'd do that. This "mount it high, tilt it down" is nothing but neck pain in the making.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #474 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Honestly, there is no really good way to mount the TV on the wall for the reasons you state. I will >never< again put a TV higher than eyes at about 1/3 of the way up the screen, and I prefer it a bit lower. If you can make that work on your wall visually, I'd do that. This "mount it high, tilt it down" is nothing but neck pain in the making.

100% agree. TV's should be lined up so eye level is in the middle of the screen. When I bought my 60" Sony RPTV I built a stand that supported the TV at that height, and as it turned out it was also perfect for this set.

I may eventually build/buy a different stand because the one I have causes some bad acoustic effects with my center speaker. I need something a lot more open rather than the closed in design I currently have. Actually a low table would be ideal.

post #475 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post
I remember having cloudiness with a previous Sharp LCD and it was quite annoying. I may have to bail on getting this set.

Also, spaghetti eating LC-70LE732 owners beware of meatballs with a chance of cloudy.
Eh. You will only get clouds with your meatballs if you eat spaghetti at midnight with the lights out.

post #476 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson

Eh. You will only get clouds with your meatballs if you eat spaghetti at midnight with the lights out.
I have to be honest, clouding and flashlighting I am worried about along with the way this tv handles sports motion.

I was at Bjorns here in San Antonio the other day watching some NBA playoffs on this set and it did not look as good as it does on my Panny CRT RP HDTV 52" that I purchased in 2004.

Would it be a bad idea to go from CRT RP HDTV to LCD/LED or should I go with a plasma?
post #477 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafish721 View Post

Chad,

When you calibrate the TVs are you allowing for 100 hrs of burn in? Is it not important to calibrate the TV in the environment it is going to be viewed? Would an ISF calibrator come up with better PQ results if he/she calibrated the TV in my house in the evening with my lighting conditions? If not these big TV companies are not doing us justice sending out inferior products that in turn we have to fix and upgrade their improperly calibrated TV sets.

Yes, Chris breaks 'em in with the break in DVD before I get there to do the calibration.

Here is the short answer.

The biggest potential problem with the pre calibration is that I can not double check your sources to make sure the settings are correct and everything is acting as expected. I normally go over it with you on the phone, though, and with most equipment everything works out just fine.

The main thing about the environment is that I need to know the lighting conditions when you watch TV. Is the TV in a bright room (skylights, large windows), or a more light controlled room? Do you leave a lamp on when you watch TV at night? Do you have a backlight? Once I know these things I can calibrate accordingly.

So the environment absolutely does have to be taken into account, but I don't have to actually have the TV in that environment when doing the calibration.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #478 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4all View Post

I have to be honest, clouding and flashlighting I am worried about along with the way this tv handles sports motion.

I was at Bjorns here in San Antonio the other day watching some NBA playoffs on this set and it did not look as good as it does on my Panny CRT RP HDTV 52" that I purchased in 2004.

Would it be a bad idea to go from CRT RP HDTV to LCD/LED or should I go with a plasma?

Firstly nobody has reported flashlighting with this set, and since it is back lit not edge lit you should not get flashlighting, it just isn't something that happens with this technology.

As far as clouding I strongly recommend you read Chad's review comments. They mirror my experience exactly. Yes, you can see clouding on a dark screen in a dark room with no input. Can you see it on a properly adjusted set when there is a program being displayed? It hasn't been my experience.

As far as making a valid decision to buy or not buy a set based on viewing it in a store, good luck with that. Was noise reduction off or on when you were watching? How about film mode? Both of these can effect the set's display of motion as Chad noted in his review.

Plasma or LCD? Both kinds or sets have their pluses and minuses. In my opinion the technology choice depends greatly on the room the set is going to live in and how well the light in that room can be controlled. Since you are watching a vintage CRT RPTV you probably have good light control already and a plasma might be best for you.

post #479 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

100% agree. TV's should be lined up so eye level is in the middle of the screen. When I bought my 60" Sony RPTV I built a stand that supported the TV at that height, and as it turned out it was also perfect for this set.

This unit would be way to low, if you hung it on the wall at this height. If one has little ones, alot of traffic, the bottom of the screen at eye level is the lowest I would go. Anything lower, you are setting your tv up for damage. My unit is hung above a mantal at about 4Ft off the ground to the bottom of the screen. I love it there, no my neck does not get sore, I usually watch tv lying down. I have no problem sitting up though either.

--To each his own though.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #480 of 3824 Old 04-23-2011, 08:13 PM

I've been impressed with everything I've seen on my 70" 732 so far. Watched golf, baseball, basketball, and hockey as far as sports with no motion artifacts or blurring / smearing. Looks great. Even the hockey rink looks very clean and good to me, don't really notice any DSE that has been discussed so far. I'm set on 120 Hz Low.

Just watched Megamind tonight with the kids and it was outstanding. Razor sharp, and when the screen went to black it was very black. It was on Bluray. Like any other set, best picture quality will be at the mercy of your source. Most cable channels look great as of course the couple of Blurays I've watched so far.

Glad I went with the 70" as it is more immersive in my HT than a 55" would have been. If you're on the fence I don't think you'll be disappointed with this set, unless you want to hold out for 3D.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 70le732u Aquos 70 1080p Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70le732u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page