Official Sharp 2011 LC-70LE732U Owner's Thread [NO PRICE TALK] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a pic of mine mounted on the wall. Thanks to Chris from Cleveland Plasma!
http://twitpic.com/4q4dzt/full
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1BradC View Post

Here's a pic of mine mounted on the wall. Thanks to Chris from Cleveland Plasma!
http://twitpic.com/4q4dzt/full

WoW. That's pretty awesome. What light are you using behind the tv?
post #543 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys. For those asking the lighting behind the TV is LED and you can find it at: barlighting.com
I got the 5 meter flexible kit and it fit perfect.
post #544 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 AM

Does anyone that owns the set know how to turn off the distracting "Star trek" indicating light while viewing the Tv?...It is very distracting, and I love watching movies in the Dark, and would rather have that light be off. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
post #545 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
menu>system options> icon light up settings>off

I do not condone what i do, but i will not deny myself the pleasure!
post #546 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the compliments guys. For those asking the lighting behind the TV is LED and you can find it at: barlighting.com

TV looks great! 5 meters of lighting seems quit long. Are the lights wrapped around the back multiple times? How did you mount the lights? Is there anyway you could take a picture of the back of your TV?
post #547 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

You do have a very classy setup. I've been looking for some backlighting ideas and I'm going to give one of the items at barlighting a try.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #548 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick30 View Post

Does this Falloff get any worse over time?

I haven't noticed any changes and wouldn't expect any. However the set is so new it is impossible to tell for sure what the long-term behaviour will be.

post #549 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Does anyone know what the actual color temperatures are for the color temperature setting? It just has options from high to low, I'd like to know exactly which one is 6500K.
post #550 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSallday View Post

Does anyone that owns the set know how to turn off the distracting "Star trek" indicating light while viewing the Tv?...It is very distracting, and I love watching movies in the Dark, and would rather have that light be off. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Ah memories! Anyone been around long enough to remember the Samsung DLP we used to call the "Captain Kirk" here on AVSForums?

Robbin
post #551 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhenson View Post

Does anyone know what the actual color temperatures are for the color temperature setting? It just has options from high to low, I'd like to know exactly which one is 6500K.

Without calibration, the answer is: NONE. But MOVIE comes the closest out of the box.

Robbin
post #552 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 02:30 PM

Getting ready to take the plunge on a 732 - did you guys does the power cord and component connections come straight out the back of the set and did you guys who mounted it on the wall position a wall outlet panel right next to the connection terminals on the back of the set? Basically, I am wondering if I should order the wall mount hardware and do the in-wall wiring ahead of the TV showing up, or deal with it after it shows up. Dealing with it ahead of time may enable me to pay someone to carry it and mount it on the wall - but once it is mounted, it may be difficult for me to do the in-wall wiring.

Any advice from people who have mounted big TVs would be helpful for an LCD neophyte - I have only had to deal with a 55" RPTV which of course is on wheels on the floor.
post #553 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
XJ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post

...I am wondering if I should order the wall mount hardware and do the in-wall wiring ahead of the TV showing up, or deal with it after it shows up...

I simply added a regular single gang AC outlet under the wall mount. There was an existing outlet at the bottom of the wall so I just fed the AC straight up to that new outlet. My wall mount had a clearance of almost 3" so I did not really need a 'recessed' AC outlet (saved some bucks). So YMMV.

Then I bought 2 of these 1-Gang Recessed Low Voltage Cable Wall Plate - White and 2 of these 1-Gang Low Voltage Mounting Bracket for the AV cables. These were installed a few inches on the sides of the top and bottom AC outlets. I had 2 HDMIs, 1 coax (for the antenna), and 3.5 pairs of patch (meaning small) RCA cables and they fit quite comfortably in these single gang plates. Consider the double gang version if your cable bundle is bigger.

Good luck.

PS: for the top part, this is another option Recessed Low Voltage Cable Wall Plate WITH Recessed Power - White if you don't mind spending a few more bucks.
post #554 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezMFNutz View Post

Movie mode with color temp set to "LOW" gets you closest to 6500k. Of note with calibration I am able to get very uniform 6500k color temp

Cool, thanks. Which i1 sensor do you have?
post #555 of 3824 Old 04-27-2011, 11:29 PM

I'm trying to convince the wife that 70" is what we need. We currently have the 55" Vizio 553 set (and the wife loves the PQ). Does this set have the same PQ or better? Where we live, there is only a Sears to view sets (and they might get the 70" Sharp). There is no way for me to compare both sets in person, so I'm hoping someone can chime in a let me know what they think.
post #556 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
My local BB just got this set up on display. I spent a bit of time looking at the store feed and noticed a couple of issues with the set.

First, their was noticable dimming in each of the 4 corners of the set. Others have mentioned this and it was very apparent on any light colored solid background.

It dimmed about 1 1/2 inches from the corner, getting darker towards the corner. Looked to me like they shorted the set a row of LEDs.

The dimming was not visible during regular programming, but the 60" Sharp sitting next to it did not demonstrate this problem. I believe the 60" was edge lit.

Second issue was overall PQ. This may have been the BB setup, but the image looked soft compared to the other sets on the wall. The closest sets were the 60" Sharp LCD and an open Box Samsung 50" plasma. The plasma looked the sharpest, followed closely by the other Sharp set.

Price was inverse to the pq on the sets with the 70" showing considerable noise in full colored backgrounds in content.

I had seen the set at Sears also running a demo loop and it looked much better there. Not sure what the settings on each set were, but the one at BB gave me pause on even considering this set.

I'll have to give it another look at Sears and see how much of the bad I saw in the set was the BB setup, and how much is inherent in the set itself.

Corners had to be cut to make this screen size at this price point. From the discussion here it looks like one of the corners cut was actually lighting the corners of the screen uniformly. What I saw in this area alone would bother me enough to mark this set off my potential buy list.
post #557 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Corners had to be cut to make this screen size at this price point. From the discussion here it looks like one of the corners cut was actually lighting the corners of the screen uniformly. What I saw in this area alone would bother me enough to mark this set off my potential buy list.

Ha - agreed. Sharp needs to update their site with specs for the upcoming models.

From the Sharp 4/13 announcement:

Sharp will extend its line of 70-inch screen size class (69 ½" diagonal) AQUOS Quattron LED LCD TVs this summer with the LC-70LE735U (3D), LC-70LE734U and LC-70LE733U models. Each will offer full HD 1080p image resolution and employ Quattron Quad Pixel Technology, and they will feature built-in WiFi and access to the best internet content services. All 3 models will begin shipping this summer.
post #558 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Just announced this morning in Scandanavia at flatpanelsHD.

"Sharp has unveiled a LE830 range and the 70-inch LE73x range. According to our sources they also have the X5 flagship model prepared for August 2011 - before IFA 2011 in Berlin. We have no pictures of the TV at this point but our sources say that it's going to be slim and very elegant."

"Sharp X5 will launch in 60 and 70 inches called LC-60X5 and LC-70X5. It's the successor to the previous XS1 that was launched a few years ago.

Sharp X5 will feature backlit LED with local dimming, scanning backlights, 200/240 Hz, Quattron, and 3D. A range of multimedia functionality have also been incorporated such as the Aquos Net+ internet platform, Skype, DLNA, Wi-Fi and USB playback with DivX HD support.

We have also received information that X5 will include a built-in hard drive, dual tuners and iPhone/iPad remote controlling but we cannot confirm that information at this point. (These features are usually reserved for European models that never seem to make it to N. America)

Sharp X5 is scheduled for august 2011 release in 60 and 70 inches. The price is said to be much more reasonable than the previous XS1."

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #559 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It dimmed about 1 1/2 inches from the corner, getting darker towards the corner. Looked to me like they shorted the set a row of LEDs.
I noticed the corners on my set but I didn't realize it started dimming that far out. I'll have to put up a white field and look more closely.

Robbin
post #560 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm seriously considering this set. I'll preface this by saying that I am a casual viewer looking to get my first flat panel TV an get a large size for my living room at the best price to feature ratio as possible and in this regard, the 732U seems hard to beat.

Clearly many of you earlier in the thread have purchased this set and are clearly happy with it. The last few posts are giving me pause however. Is this edge issue something that the picky perfectionist videophile in you is picking out, or is thing a wart that can't be misses even by a casual observer like me?

Obviously I'll have to stop by BB and see if I can view a white screen to find out by myself, but reading most threads in this forum, a lot of the criticism at most sets appears to be in the perfectionist camp, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I just don't want to rule out a set that seems to have hit the perfect sweet spot for me in terms of features per dollar on account of something that I may never notice.
post #561 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone interested in this set.... Sears is having friends and family this weekend which will knock off additional 10%. That's on top of sales price amd free delivery!

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #562 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Anyone interested in this set.... Sears is having friends and family this weekend which will knock off additional 10%. That's on top of sales price amd free delivery!

Sounds good. Got a link? I must be dim, I can't find anything about it on their site.
post #563 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

I heard the current 10% off sale price is only until Saturday and the "friends and family" 10% off is on for Sunday night. No gain.
post #564 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
XJ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhenson View Post

This set has the ability to track the whole range of greyscale pretty well. Although, I don't think it has good greyscale out of the box. My preferred mode - some call it best mode - is still 'movie' with 'color temp' = low. You can see the result of my basic greyscale calibration below. Meanwhile, my gamma is embarrassingly bad that I don't want to show it.

Quote:

My local BB just got this set up on display. I spent a bit of time looking at the store feed and noticed a couple of issues with the set.

First, their was noticable dimming in each of the 4 corners of the set...

Second issue was overall PQ. This may have been the BB setup, but the image looked soft compared to the other sets on the wall. The closest sets were the 60" Sharp LCD and an open Box Samsung 50" plasma. The plasma looked the sharpest, followed closely by the other Sharp set...

I can confirm the first issue, although it is only somewhat easily noticeable during my calibration, and not so much so during normal viewing.

On the second issue, what can I say? I mean, you were comparing sets in the store that were set up differently and potentially also had been played with by customers like myself. It may very well be true that this set has worse PQ than the other LCDs and plasmas that you saw at that time. But you need a better ground for your comparisons. It's tough because you can't take them home for evaluations but that's just the way it is.

For me, I've been liking the set so far (~10 days). I don't have any issues with its functions and performance yet. We use Netflix and lot and surprisingly it supports couple more features than my Roku XDS does. Even with basic calibration, my better half and friends are already very impressed. The skin tone I am seeing is just so real and this is a major plus for me. Movie mode is a little soft but bumping up the sharpness setting by a notch or 2 cures the issue right away (I would not go above 2). Shadow details are also very good and that 3D pop is usually there. The only thing I am not currently happy with is the gamma taking a nose dive near the top end. I will have to work on that. If I can't get it fixed then I may go to a pro or simply conclude that I have just bought a lemon. As always, YMMV.

Cheers,
post #565 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post

I'm seriously considering this set. I'll preface this by saying that I am a casual viewer looking to get my first flat panel TV an get a large size for my living room at the best price to feature ratio as possible and in this regard, the 732U seems hard to beat.

Clearly many of you earlier in the thread have purchased this set and are clearly happy with it. The last few posts are giving me pause however. Is this edge issue something that the picky perfectionist videophile in you is picking out, or is thing a wart that can't be misses even by a casual observer like me?

Obviously I'll have to stop by BB and see if I can view a white screen to find out by myself, but reading most threads in this forum, a lot of the criticism at most sets appears to be in the perfectionist camp, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I just don't want to rule out a set that seems to have hit the perfect sweet spot for me in terms of features per dollar on account of something that I may never notice.

I did not notice the dimmed corners with regular content. I admit that I am used to a white screen when the screen is supposed to be. That is one of the issues I see with plasma displays, where a totally white screen is displayed as grey, or as some say "dirty white".

Lots of commercials use white backgrounds. I suspect that is where you'll notice it, if at all.

On the plus side, I did not notice any flashlighting or light bleed when the set was showing content that had top and bottom black bars.

I'm going to check this set out again at Sears, which is the only other place that has it on display in my area. My initial impression when first seeing the set there was that it had potential, with the picture being just a bit softer than the displays surrounding it - all of which were smaller.

Best advice I can give is to not look for issues, just evaluate the picture by your personal visual standards. Once you find an issue with a set, your eye will be constantly drawn to it. spoiling an otherwise enjoyable viewing experience.
post #566 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM

Aydu, thank you for your comments. I am not a videophile, but I research things to a fault, hence my presence on this forum - drives my wife crazy. Even the toaster at home has had several hours of online analysis before purchase...

I will check it out at BB before making any conclusions.
post #567 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not seen noise or sharpness to be a problem with this set in my home. I suspect this is a signal quality or settings issues with the demos you saw.

The only two defects I notice on this set are DSE and corner falloff, but only if I specifically look for them in material that has a very light to white background. To be honest I see DSE more. The set is large enough to put the corners out toward the edge of my vision. And on my set the affected area is perhaps 1/2".

As far as I am concerned they do not detract from my enjoyment of this TV. It is a huge win over what I replaced.

post #568 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 PM
XJ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezMFNutz View Post

XJ. I had similar problems with gamma drop off. Was able to eventually get it fixed pretty good. What do you have contrast set to? Also what do you have the gamma setting at? I had to back my contrast setting down to the 30 to 32 range and put the gamma setting at -2 in order to get my gamma to track right. Post your gamma curve. FYI my gamma is just below reference at the low end IRE and just above at the high end IRE.

Since I had the same exact problem I would bet that you don't have a lemon. You may need to play with the settings some more or get a pro in.

Hi,

I had backlight/contrast/gamma at 8/30/-1 then backed down one by one to 5/28/-2 and still got the same results. Donno if it's just a terminology thing but your bolded phrase there does not mean a "drop off" to me. My gamma is higher than reference in the low IRE then drops off below ref. in the hi IRE. Also, when I tried to correct the color triangle, the RGB Y values never added up to White Y value. I must have missed something. Any idea?

Thanks.
post #569 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Vertical one pixel wide green line full height of screen.

NOT GOOD.

Fortunately still in first month so it's going back.

post #570 of 3824 Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 PM

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions of the box it comes in ? I'd like to know if I can fit this little baby in my car tomorrow Thanks !
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 70le732u Aquos 70 1080p Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page