Panasonic DT30 impressions? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 434 Old 06-30-2011, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was told that the first models of the panasonic DT30 suffered in the lower right of too much light, it is true? if so, only the first models had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 434 Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 AM

Here are some updated photos of my dt30 setup.

I went to menards and bought a 6500k lightbulb to replace the wrong yellowish bulb that can be seen in the 1st pic. and mounted it behind the dt30.

I also put a piece of black tape over the red light on the front.

Note: The purple lights are the IR signals coming from the wii sensor.

post #273 of 434 Old 06-30-2011, 03:32 AM

wow, the black of the tv looks great, I did not think ....

I do not see that the TV suffers from too much light at the right corner, right?

Therefore, the first models of the pana DT3, were defective?
post #274 of 434 Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post

You must be seeing black and white almost with that color setting.

Here are my settings.

Backlight 50 for daytime viewing.......25 for nightime viewing.

Contrast 90.

Brightness 25.

Color 45.

Tint 0.

Sharpness 25.

AI on.

Color temp warm.

To me the colors look more natural at that setting, I don't like saturated colors. My back light settings are similar to yours.
post #275 of 434 Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I just bought my DT30 last week and I've noticed uneven backlighting on the bottom where its said the LED array is located.

I notice the backlight bleed on the bottom right corner only at certain times when the screen goes dark, but not always. It took a while for me to even notice it. It's not enough to really bother me.

Mark Hodgkinson's review of the DT30 at avforums.com has a good picture of it under the subtitle, "2D picture quality". The image is black with the words "DVD video" in the middle. If you magnify the image, you'll notice the glow on the bottom right corner.

Has anybody discovered any specific settings you can adjust to minimize the backlight bleed?
post #276 of 434 Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmelRob View Post

I just bought my DT30 last week and I've noticed uneven backlighting on the bottom where its said the LED array is located.

I notice the backlight bleed on the bottom right corner only at certain times when the screen goes dark, but not always. It took a while for me to even notice it. It's not enough to really bother me.

Mark Hodgkinson's review of the DT30 at avforums.com has a good picture of it under the subtitle, "2D picture quality". The image is black with the words "DVD video" in the middle. If you magnify the image, you'll notice the glow on the bottom right corner.

Has anybody discovered any specific settings you can adjust to minimize the backlight bleed?

You can post the picture with some game or movie DVDs?

max 15 photo

thanks
post #277 of 434 Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Try my settings, I have similar problem in the lower left hand corner.
post #278 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
Try my settings, I have similar problem in the lower left hand corner.
but all models suffer from it or just the first models?
post #279 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I know everyone is comparing notes about when the screen is totally black and looking for light corners.

But has anyone looked when the whole screen is 100% white and seeing if the left and right sides of the image are the same? Mine is brighter on the left side than the right side of the picture. Has nobody else noticed the same?
post #280 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I know everyone is comparing notes about when the screen is totally black and looking for light corners.

But has anyone looked when the whole screen is 100% white and seeing if the left and right sides of the image are the same? Mine is brighter on the left side than the right side of the picture. Has nobody else noticed the same?

32" or 37"?
post #281 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM

post #282 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jintekken View Post

Buy one for yourself and see.
post #283 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM

You can take pictures with some PS3 games at close range? games especially with black ok?

thanks dark planet
post #284 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:

You're lucky!
Your panel according to the photos you've uploaded is perfect!
cheers ...
post #285 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:

but you have purchased the just released DT30? or you bought it after a few months?
post #286 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Before I tested the DT30, I started off with my parent's four year old 46'' Sony Bravia. I had always figured that the TV had about 50ms of lag and I was pretty much right about that. I tested the VGA input in Game mode ten times. This yielded (54, 48, 48, 48, 40, 48, 36, 36, 42, 60) This averages to 46ms.

I then tested the VGA input on the DT30 in Standard mode ten times. This yielded (24, 36, 48, 30, 36, 36, 24, 48, 24, 36). This averages to 34.2ms.

After that, I tested the VGA input on the DT30 in Game mode ten times. This yielded (12, 24, 36, 36, 12, 36, 36, 20, 36, 24). This averages to 27.2 ms.

What reallys seems strange is how most of the results are a factor of 12. This might have to do with my computer's performance issues with the stopwatch program. I'm really not sure. The best I can say is to take these input lag results with a grain of salt.

You have to take the worst number.

The result seem 45ms without game mode & 30ms in game mode(same as their plasma model but it doesn't goes higher than 30ms in HD). It is pretty good considering it is a LED & have 240hz feature. The plasma series does 45ms in SD.

I'm considering to get it in the way the number look, the problem is retailer here in montreal are very slow at getting the new model. The only way is to order online.

I've seen the E30 but it kind of look worst than my old LZ800. I hope the DT30 doesn't look worst than my my old display.
post #287 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmal23 View Post

32" or 37"?

Sorry I should have said...37"
post #288 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've found on my TV that the best way to test for backlight problems is by simply turning the TV on with no inputs playing in a pitch black room. That greyish box with the words, "No signal. Ensure that the external device is turned on and properly connected to the TV's input. Select the source by pressing [INPUT] on the remote." will dance around the screen highlighting problem areas if you have any. If the AI is turned on the area surrounding the box will light up while everything else will darken.(I guess the AI setting really is local dimming) This is where I notice the glow(flashlighting) on the bottom right corner and slight backlight bleed along the right edge.
(update) Turning AI off makes it easier to compare one area with the rest of the screen since it turns off local dimming.

By the way, the C.A.T.S. setting does eliminate the flashlighting but it's just too dark for me.

Frito mentioned in one of his earlier posts(#264) about adjusting the cabinet screws to fix the flashlighting. I'm going to give this a try either tomorrow or the next day. I tried slightly tapping the area but it had no effect.
post #289 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 06:22 PM

Somebody could answer me...
What has been the lowest prices the Panasonic TC-L37DT30 on Amazon?

that is normal?
post #290 of 434 Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmal23 View Post
Somebody could answer me...
What has been the lowest prices the Panasonic TC-L37DT30 on Amazon?

that is normal?
this is a panasonic DT30 defect or a defect is only for the first production models?
post #291 of 434 Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I got this email back from Panasonic after complaining about the backlight issues I've been experiencing.

"Thank you for your inquiry. Under the conditions you describe (no signal, black screen, darkened room), It is not unusual to see some back light on an LCD TV. Unless you are able to discern this condition with a signal under normal viewing conditions,, it would not be a serviceable issue."

I have to admit that under normal viewing conditions it's really not too noticable so I might just accept it as it is. Based on what a lot of people say, it seems most of these TVs have this problem to one degree or another.

Maxmal23 - Yes, on a screen with no signal the backlight bleed is more apparent to the eye.

Jintekken - I've never heard that only first production models of the DT30 only suffer from backlight issues. It sounds more like wishful thinking.
post #292 of 434 Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 AM

This indicates that the problem is due to the manufacture of each panel
or assembly of the TV.
Then it's matter of luck a panel without bleeding
The most common is to have bleeding.

CarmelRob thx for answer!

jintekken stop thinking that!
That is false!

Dark_Planet Sell ​​me your tv
post #293 of 434 Old 07-02-2011, 02:38 PM

How do the black levels look, in daytime viewing? On Plasmas, they look gray in daytime. Thanks.
post #294 of 434 Old 07-03-2011, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
jintekken

Instead of bumping threads and starting threads with the same question and private messaging me twice, why not read through the thread to see what
owners like Dark_Planet and Tigerriot have both said?

Dark_Planet thank you for the excellent pictures you posted and no jintekken i am not going to link you to them go look back through
this thread like i and everyone else has done.

Oh an stop doing the same to the Sony nx720 thread just do some reading and stop ruining this brilliant forum.

Rant over

Aaron
post #295 of 434 Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Thanks Dark_Planet

The pictures you took are really selling this tv to me it looks a stunner

Just need to find one in a store near me to go see it (Im in the UK).

I was looking at the Panasonic E30 but this looks much nicer in my opinion.
The blacks look stunning only thing that bugs me is no separate backlight
control in uk version, its adjusted by the contrast setting. But i guess if out
the box its an accurate picture then it wont matter much.

Thanks again

Aaron
post #296 of 434 Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 467
report: do not quote or reply

posts deleted: a member asked to leave the thread

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #297 of 434 Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Good news, I managed to significantly reduce the backlight bleed on the bottom-right corner of my DT30 very similar to the image in post #289 by using just a phillips head screwdriver and some teamwork.

First, my dad and I loosened the bottom-right and middle-right screws along the right-side bezel of the TV. We then figured out that if we applied pressure and sort of bend/twisted the corner of the bottom right bezel(NOT the LCD screen ofcourse) we could either cause more or less backlighting in that general area. However once we relieved pressure, the backlight bleed came back the way it was before. So what we did was, my dad would apply pressure to the corner while I looked at it's effects on the screen. When it looked good to me, he then tightened the middle screw while maintaining the pressure. We then repeated the procedure again for the last corner screw. I'm very satisfied with the results but I just hope it lasts awhile. If not, we'll probably just work at it again.

By the way, I've also noticed that as the TV warms up, it becomes more uniform. Kind of strange but it's true.
post #298 of 434 Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Nice!
could you please take a new picture?
to see the result ...
post #299 of 434 Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Just bought the 42" D30 version of this TV, can anyone tell me how to access the ISFccc settings? Or are the "Pro settings" what I am looking for?

EDIT: Pics added as per request. March 2011 build date.

Pretty darn good horizontal viewing angles as pictured (Vertical viewing angles are definitely not as good)

With the backlight on 100, you can see the bright corners are rather obvious.

My crappy camera does not show it, but in total darkness, you can still see bright corners at 50 backlight :

It is still there but is no longer bothersome for me at 25 backlight (sorry my camera sucks, I need a DSLR):

For those returning their TVs over this... I think it will be hard to get a "perfect" one. I didn't buy this TV looking for top picture quality. I needed a TV with good viewing angles, decent motion clarity, low input lag, and safe to use as a PC monitor. If you need better image quality, buy a plasma, or consider an overpriced full array LED-LCD with 256+ zone local dimming.

P.S. This TV surprised me. While obviously not lag-free, I was able to play timing-sensitive PS2 games with results better than any other HDTV I've tried (e.g. Beatmania IIDX and SFIII 3rd Strike were fairly playable... not suitable for tournament use or anything but still very playable.)

Another thing I noticed with this TV is while watching cable TV... Video seems ahead of audio. You need a keen eye to notice this, it is maybe only 2 frames off. Maybe because I am using component cables instead of HDMI? or is the audio delayed by the broadcasters to compensate for the average lag of todays TVs?

EDIT 2:
Okay, I tried again... I increased the ISO sensitivity to 200 to get these. They really exaggerate the backlight issue, but it helps show the uniformity...

25 backlight (very watchable at this lower backlight setting... this is one bright TV)

50 backlight

100 backlight

Took this at 100ISO, -1 exposure. TV in Cinema mode, 25 backlight I believe. This is what it looks like in practice. Pretty good picture quality. I will say though that this TV is extremely unforgiving with low quality sources.
post #300 of 434 Old 07-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Congratulations on your purchase
I hope you enjoy it a lot!
could show a few pictures please!

Edit: thanks! jubrany
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page