Panasonic DT30 impressions? - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 434 Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I took delivery of the TC-L37DT30 on 10/21/2011 from Amazon. The main reason for purchasing the DT30 is, it is the only 37" TV that would fit in a standard 36" armoire which has an inside width of 34.5". Of course the other reason is its very good specs and the extensive setup settings.

After hooking it up, the out-of-box default settings were very good and I was impressed with the excellent detail. Although after viewing it for awhile, it seemed muted and the color had a sepia quality to it. A little too warm for my taste. After a couple of days, I decided it needed calibration and they are as follows:

Slotkar's Official Settings List ---

=================================================
TC-L37DT30 firmware Ver. 2.070 - (08/22/2011)

The DT30 was setup using both GetGray Ver. 1.1a and
AVSHD 709 Ver. 2d Blu-ray video calibration DVD's

Menu > Picture:

Picture mode CUSTOM
Back light 90
Contrast 100
Brightness 60
Color 50
Tint +1
Sharpness 51
--------------------------
Color temp. Normal
Color mgmt. On
A.I. picture On
C.A.T.S. Off
Video NR Off
Pro settings >
W/B high R 0
W/B high B 0
W/B low R 0
W/B low B 0
Red hue 0
Green hue 0
Blue hue 0
Red saturation -20
Green saturation -10
Blue saturation -20
Color detail adjustments >>

Yellow hue 0
Cyan hue 0
Magenta hue 0
Yellow saturation -6
Cyan saturation -5
Magenta saturation -17
-----------------------
Red luminance 0
Green luminance 0
Blue luminance -4
Yellow luminance 0
Cyan luminance 0
Magenta luminance 0
Black Extension 15
Gamma 2.2
Panel brightness Mid
Contour emphasis On
AGC +7

===============================

Aspect adjustments >

Aspect Full
HD size 2

HDMI settings >

HDMI/DVI RGB range (all) Auto
Content type (all) Off

Advanced picture settings >

Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Motion picture 5 Off

In my opinion Panasonic designed an outstanding TV, the picture is very lifelike with near non-existant motion blurring and excellent 3D performance.

This LCD TV is establishes a new industry benchmark. Way to go Panasonic!

SlotKar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 434 Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post

I tried these out on mine. Sunday afternoon football looked great! Thanks!

Bill Julyan
post #393 of 434 Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post

It seems this tv has been discontinued..anyone know why?..that concerns me since ive had this tv for a month now

What makes you think that Panasonic discontinued this line of LED's? Just curious as I have been waiting for the X-Mas sales to pick one up but I won't be if they have tossed in the towel on them.
post #394 of 434 Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 AM

2.20 firmware is out for those that didn't know.

It includes the "Social TV" option under Vierra Cast as described in in the Engadget article here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/06/p...ebook-next-to/

One issue I've noted with it though is that when using the Social TV app, the video settings are different than your normal TV viewing settings. Not really my kind of thing anyway but some of you might like being able to Twitter and Facebook on screen while watching TV.

Download link for offline updating can be found off this page: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../fw/index.html

Also, Panny seems to have released Android and iPhone remote control apps for these TVs:
Android: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...oid/index.html
iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ote/index.html

Clearly work and support still ongoing for these sets.
post #395 of 434 Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the great information.
post #396 of 434 Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM

Panasonic has been updating software for their TVs mainly in the year they have been produced, so maybe this is the last big update we will see for D30/DT30.

Great TVs but Panasonic business has been plasma TV's. But this could be the last year of plasma in big plan. This years LEDs are great, and market is requesting this technology.
post #397 of 434 Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 PM

post #398 of 434 Old 11-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I've been using those settings for a while but with backlight set at 90 I felt like my retinas were melting.
I also gradually toned down contrast and brightness a bit.
I've had this set for about a month now and while I'll agree that the picture is very nice I'm still questioning my choice over a 42" ST Plasma.
I went from a 24" CRT and was afraid 42" would be too big for my room(7 ft viewing distance) and also preferred the slim panel of the DT.
My eyes can't seem to get used to it (eye fatigue)
Not sure if the plasma would be better or if I'm just getting used to the bigger screen.
Ordered a 6500K tube to place behind the screen for bias lighting. Hopefully this will help. I could probably return it for a plasma if I wanted but might have to pay a repack charge. And what if I end up finding the plasma has more downsides than expected - heat, buzzing, phosphor trailing, reflections...
I'm becoming neurotic.
post #399 of 434 Old 11-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOil View Post

What makes you think that Panasonic discontinued this line of LED's? Just curious as I have been waiting for the X-Mas sales to pick one up but I won't be if they have tossed in the towel on them.

Amazon does not have the 37" currently. They have the 32" DT30 and offer the 37" only as "used"; while BHPhotovideo, ABT etc. mention "discontinued" for the 37" DT30 for some reason. Vanns says "pre-order it - coming soon". So which one is it - discontinued or pre-order?

Can anyone please post if the 37" DT30 models are available at any B&M store in the nj/ny area?

tnx
post #400 of 434 Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi there, I am using this Tv as a PC monitor for about a week and wondering, if 4 4 4 color format can somehow be enabled?

also,i noticed banding on gradients while working in photoshop. while my 6 years old NEC monitor has perfectly smooth gradations, DT30 obviously lacks color depth. and they call it deep color 10 bit panel? That is a lie! 6 damn years, after i bought that monitor and no progress... that's sad.

I find it funny that people think about flashlighting and clouding, yet, one of the most important things is color depth, especially if you are into photography. Again, no review ever mentions that, or 444 chroma availability. come on, this is not a cheap set. i was using an S-ips monitor and thought and IPS-alpha would at least be not worse, i was wrong.
BTW, blueish black is also kind of noticeable sometimes, thanks to LED.

But 3d performance is really top class, that was mainly the reason to buy it.
post #401 of 434 Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airace View Post

Amazon does not have the 37" currently. They have the 32" DT30 and offer the 37" only as "used"; while BHPhotovideo, ABT etc. mention "discontinued" for the 37" DT30 for some reason. Vanns says "pre-order it - coming soon". So which one is it - discontinued or pre-order?

Can anyone please post if the 37" DT30 models are available at any B&M store in the nj/ny area?

tnx

airace,
Check http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER.../dp/B004MME756 they have it back in stock for a very good price. That's where I purchased mine.

SlotKar
post #402 of 434 Old 11-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugle View Post

Hi there, I am using this Tv as a PC monitor for about a week and wondering, if 4 4 4 color format can somehow be enabled?

also,i noticed banding on gradients while working in photoshop. while my 6 years old NEC monitor has perfectly smooth gradations, DT30 obviously lacks color depth. and they call it deep color 10 bit panel? That is a lie! 6 damn years, after i bought that monitor and no progress... that's sad.

I find it funny that people think about flashlighting and clouding, yet, one of the most important things is color depth, especially if you are into photography. Again, no review ever mentions that, or 444 chroma availability. come on, this is not a cheap set. i was using an S-ips monitor and thought and IPS-alpha would at least be not worse, i was wrong.
BTW, blueish black is also kind of noticeable sometimes, thanks to LED.

But 3d performance is really top class, that was mainly the reason to buy it.

Actually the Chroma Subsampling issues are mentioned earlier in the thread. No, this TV can not do 4:4:4. It is 4:2:0 only. Makes it a poor pairing to Panasonic's own Bluray players where they go to extensive lengths to detail out the quality and reasons for 4:4:4.
post #403 of 434 Old 11-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:

airace,
Check http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER.../dp/B004MME756 they have it back in stock for a very good price. That's where I purchased mine.

Yup, saw that on Amazon, but 37" models are all listed under "used".
I am looking to get new with at least a 3 yr extended warranty.
The local store around me mentioned Pana is holding these on back order.

Panasonic site began listing them on their own website since last week for 990 - again for backorder.

So we'll have to wait it out till X'mas probly...
post #404 of 434 Old 11-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I just got a Panasonic 32DT30 Viera for a bedroom to replace an early Samsung LED: the Samsung had flash lighting at 3 of 4 corners and other issues

The Panasonic is excellent: no flash lighting and a uniform black screen with no input: has a wide viewing angle

Very impressed with the picture: my opinion only

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #405 of 434 Old 11-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Liked: 12
I'm thinking about buying the TC-L37DT30 for a few reasons...

- I want a relatively high spec TV (high motion resolution, good black levels) with Internet support (mostly Netflix) and good picture quality.
- I want a good picture at wide viewing angles because of where some seats are placed in my living room.
- I need a relatively narrow TV set that fits on a 34" shelf, this TV is just a tad over.

Only things I have read from users that trouble me are the color banding (4:2:0) processing and some flash lighting issues on dark screens.

Is this still the TV to get for a 37" size screen? Any alternatives?
post #406 of 434 Old 11-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post

I'm thinking about buying the TC-L37DT30 for a few reasons...

- I want a relatively high spec TV (high motion resolution, good black levels) with Internet support (mostly Netflix) and good picture quality.
- I want a good picture at wide viewing angles because of where some seats are placed in my living room.
- I need a relatively narrow TV set that fits on a 34" shelf, this TV is just a tad over.

Only things I have read from users that trouble me are the color banding (4:2:0) processing and some flash lighting issues on dark screens.

Is this still the TV to get for a 37" size screen? Any alternatives?

I think it is the best 37". I was trying to find something bigger than a 32" that would fit into a shelf less than 35" wide and decided on the TC-L37DT30. I'm used to Sony XBRs and was not completely satisfied with this set until I tried slotkar's settings (posted here on 10/29/2011, #392). Now I'm satisfied that it's the best TV I could put in the limited space of my entertainment cabinet.

Bill Julyan
post #407 of 434 Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 AM

I went to Fry's yesterday and they had the 32" version on the floor. The overall picture is very good. I noticed that the panel washes out when viewed from the top but did not seem to do the same when viewed from below, at least from as far below it as I could get. So this won't be a problem for me as it will be sitting on a shelf 34" high.

The black level on a full screen blew away all the TVs in the same row, I assume because the LED backlight is going to zero. However, when viewing mixed content, the picture looked a little washed out. The no-name $300 set next to it had its contrast pushed way too hard but was able to get much deeper tones in the low lights between brighter spots. No amount of tweaking the backlight, brightness or contrast settings helped the Panny.

Than I went into the advanced settings and pushed the gamma up to 2.6 and it helped (I wasn't concerned about black crush, just wanted to see if I could get the dark bits darker), and then also found the black extension setting, turning this up made a huge difference. Even after reading the manual I have no idea what this setting actually does but I notice slotkar's settings have it set at 15, I think the default was 0. With that turned up I was able to get a very decent picture.

I also noticed a "black level" setting that was greyed out. The TV was fed by coax. The manual states that it is "only valid for external inputs." Another setting that may help when fed via HDMI (or any external video input) but I have no idea what it does.
post #408 of 434 Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 AM

hi guys
i'm new to the forum !!!
I hope not to make too many mistakes...im italian

I just bought this terrific LCD ...

I took advantage of a 37-inch
the tv is spectacular! high quality and perfect input lag and response time ... great!
for me that I bought for the game (on PC, PS3 and 360) it is developed for gamers ..!
black is not perfect but it is something normal in LED LCD i

the rest is perfect (for now )
the highest quality in every component .... ....

.... I have already updated the firmware via usb, the latest version out ... just to keep it updated ...

I wanted to ask you one thing that I did not understand ....
I took the glasses of an online site, which cost less than seen in store, so they are not there yet I could not try the 3D ...
but the doors are ALL hdmi 1.4, or just one? (and what if ...)

Then I make 2 more questions .... maybe they are harder to answer .... they are more for fans ...
to connect the PS3 to see in 3D games and movies, I'm forced to have hdmi 1.4 cable, or whatever is fine ....keep in mind i have the fat .... then the ps3 hdmi port 1, 4 is just emulated (only the newer slim has 1.4 ..)??

for connected to the pc .... if you want to see 3d movies mkv sbs (side by side ...) I have to connect via HDMI 1.4 cables and necessarily must have a certified card 3d vision (if you go in the nvidia 3d vision page there are the graphics card with proper requirement...)
or cards in the requirements above are needed just to play in 3d and 3d bluray with PC?
can play sbs mkv if I have just a normal graphics card (I have a 8800GT 512mb DDR3) ?

I know that are some technical questions ,sorry ...

thanks for everyone help me!
post #409 of 434 Old 12-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Hey guys,

I'm from the UK site; it's good to see this website has more of a community for the DT30 than over here.

I have a number of questions if someone informed wouldn't mind helping me.
1) I would try this but don't want to brick my TV as my days of playing with hardware are behind me...can I install the US firmware on my UK TV?
2) Why is it you guys have much more control over the picture settings, such as backlight etc?

If you've got any ways to open up this TV to more settings for myself then I will appreciate it. Thank You.
post #410 of 434 Old 12-10-2011, 05:45 PM

I'm looking for one of these, but can't find one. It's for a Christmas present.

I've looked through google and can't find one anywhere. Is there another way to look for this specific model?

Thanks,
_T
post #411 of 434 Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post

I've looked through google and can't find one anywhere. Is there another way to look for this specific model?

Thanks,
_T

the exact model name is TX-L37DT30 ....
in europe a lot of shop selling right now...
alternatively you can buy the DT35 ....is the same... change only external frame
post #412 of 434 Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazioso View Post

the exact model name is TX-L37DT30 ....
in europe a lot of shop selling right now...
alternatively you can buy the DT35 ....is the same... change only external frame

It looks like that is a European model, I'm in the states. I need a height of 22 & 1/2 or less w/stand and this (VIERA® 37" Class DT30 Series LED HDTV with 3D) is the only set that is larger than 32" that meets that requirement. At least that I've been able to find
post #413 of 434 Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Here's the link to the set I'm referring too.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L37DT30?t=specs
post #414 of 434 Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 AM

I'm pretty sure the DT30 was discontinued.

Panasonic is suppose to come out with larger led/lcd tv's in 2012.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1315304644

post #415 of 434 Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post

I'm pretty sure the DT30 was discontinued.

Panasonic is suppose to come out with larger led/lcd tv's in 2012.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1315304644

From what I've been told, the TC-L37DT30 is on 'allocation'. That probably means there is a component(s) that is in short supply. If you go to Panasonic's web site: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L37DT30 you will see that the page is still there. They obviously do not have any in stock, so they use the phrase "Available at your favorite retailer".

I'm glad I got mine when I did. It looks like all of the stores that carry it have been tapped out.

SlotKar
post #416 of 434 Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM

I saw one at Frys today (suburban Atlanta).

Bill Julyan
post #417 of 434 Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:

From what I've been told, the TC-L37DT30 is on 'allocation'. That probably means there is a component(s) that is in short supply. If you go to Panasonic's web site: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L37DT30 you will see that the page is still there. They obviously do not have any in stock, so they use the phrase "Available at your favorite retailer".

I'm glad I got mine when I did. It looks like all of the stores that carry it have been tapped out.

Thanks Slotkar for the followup.
I ordered a TC-L37DT30 directly from the Panasonic site when they opened it up for just a day or so on BlackFriday.
After waiting about a month, this is what they sent:
Quote:

Thank you for your Panasonic purchase.
Unfortunately, we have been notified that we will be unable to fulfill your order, due to item availability, and therefore your order(s) has been cancelled.
Item Number: TC-L37DT30-37"" LED
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Sincerely,
Ecommerce Support Group

I couldn't find any store in the NJ/NY area that had it in stock either.
Seems the new ST50 and other series to be launched at CES 2012 will soon be replacing these models.
Just wait till Feb to buy one Oh well.
post #418 of 434 Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I ordered a TC-L37DT30 directly from the Panasonic site when they opened it up for just a day or so on BlackFriday.

Seems the new ST50 and other series to be launched at CES 2012 will soon be replacing these models.
Just wait till Feb to buy one Oh well.

airace - The TC-L37DT30 is back in stock at Vann's, see: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/462288462

They go fast... Who knows how long you'll have to wait for the ST50 series and will it be just as good

SlotKar
post #419 of 434 Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 PM

A $1000 seems a lot just for 37". Shame it was technically discontinued since I bet this model is going to see a significant price drop post CES.

Maybe the 32" will be $500, but at that size I can't see much use for it other than a kitchen set.
post #420 of 434 Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for your Panasonic purchase.
Unfortunately, we have been notified that we will be unable to fulfill your order, due to item availability, and therefore your order(s) has been cancelled.
Item Number: TC-L37DT30-37"" LED
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Sincerely,
Ecommerce Support Group

I did exactly the same thing and ultimately got the same response. They then popped up on J&R and I placed an order, although by the time I placed my order they were on back order again, not in stock. J&R is in NY if you want to try them.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page