Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 434 Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post

I did exactly the same thing and ultimately got the same response. They then popped up on J&R and I placed an order, although by the time I placed my order they were on back order again, not in stock. J&R is in NY if you want to try them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotkar View Post

airace - The TC-L37DT30 is back in stock at Vann's, see: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/462288462

They go fast... Who knows how long you'll have to wait for the ST50 series and will it be just as good

Thanks Slotkar and Paul.
Its seems the "window of opportunity" to get the 37DT30 while it was Thanksgiving has passed -from the wife's "budgetary constraints" criteria ;P
We already own a VT25, and researching a 2nd, smaller unit.
So I will have to scale down in price and probly look to get a TC-P42ST30.

Now that the 2012 series have been announced - http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us2012/index.html; the 37 inch DT is quite gone, replaced by 47 inches in the DT series. The only 37" option will be the E5 series (IPS, LED, LCD) with Viera link but without 3D.

Currently it seems that the TC-P42ST30 might be a better deal overall that includes a 3D option; compared to the upcoming TC-P42UT50 or TC-L42ET5. Lets see how the pricing comes out for those two on the 42" models; since that is the only choice left in place of the 37DT30, given our space limitations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 434 Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Hopefully panasonic makes a full led panel with local dimming for 2012 instead of just edge led.

No specs have been released yet.
post #423 of 434 Old 01-09-2012, 09:46 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread, I've been lurking for the longest time & just recently on 12/31 ordered a Panasonic 32DT30 from Best Buy.com for $813.19 + NJ taxes of $53.20. As of today 1/10, it is no longer available.

Financing played a big part of why I bought it from Best Buy online instead of Amazon.

I'm upgrading from a Sharp LC-32GP3U Gaming TV from 2006 which still works fine, it just gives off way too much heat.

Uses: Gaming TV (PC/Xbox 360) & watching DirecTV.

Although I didn't notice lag on Battlefield 3 on Xbox, I did get a slight headache watching Batman Begins on a Panasonic Blu Ray player.

Quick question, the tv which I just received yesterday 1/9 has firmware version 1.04 and the update states 2.20, is there any benefit or detriment to updating firmware for this TV series?
post #424 of 434 Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM

Hi TZ,
unless it has been specifically posted in the forums here, you should always carry out firmware updates in both the TV and the BD player, since they typically include bug fixes and/or feature updates - http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_na1.html.
post #425 of 434 Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 PM

Thanks again!

Just updated to firmware 2.20
post #426 of 434 Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango-Zulu View Post

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread, I've been lurking for the longest time & just recently on 12/31 ordered a Panasonic 32DT30 from Best Buy.com for $813.19 + NJ taxes of $53.20. As of today 1/10, it is no longer available.

Financing played a big part of why I bought it from Best Buy online instead of Amazon.

................Quick question, the tv which I just received yesterday 1/9 has firmware version 1.04 and the update states 2.20, is there any benefit or detriment to updating firmware for this TV series?

I also just bought a Panasonic 32DT30, this past Saturday. Fry's had come down - end of the model year and all - to $739 plus tax. That's less than any price I saw on-line. They are getting more scarce, but not sure if as scarce as the 37" sets yet. In this Dallas area three Fry's stores each had two left, including display models. One saleman told me they don't really sell a whole lot of them, due to their relatively high price.

I managed to get one that had a shipping date of December on the box; once I opened the box, though, I saw the build date on the back of the set was August. The other sets I looked at had ship dates of Jan. (display model), April and September. It's curious that a set built in August wasn't shipped until December. Makes you think that the factory (I think it's in Mexico) didn't produce any more of the sets after August, but who knows? It may also have something to do with dates of orders from different stores. However, if the last produced are the last shipped (which makes sense), then indeed it would seem production must have wound down in August. Anyone else have a later build date on their set?

Anyway, I wanted to get as late a model as possible, thinking that it would have as many of the updates and improvements as possible. I guess I'm a bit sensitive to this right now. A week ago I got a Sony 32" from Fry's, and after I got it home, saw that it had a build date of November, 2010! And it was the last set they had, although it had to be one of the first 2011 models they received. "First in, last out" is the opposite of how product should be sold, but apparently noone at Fry's was noticing.

I didn't care for the picture or the narrow viewing angle on the Sony, and in any case didn't want a "new" set that was 14 months old. I returned it and got the Panasonic.

I'm very pleased with the Panasonic. As befits a top-of-the-line set, it has all the bells and whistles, with 240Hz, 1080, LED, wireless, 3D, etc. I didn't need 3D, and wished I didn't have to pay for it, but all the manufacturers put their top features only in their 3D sets. The set also has Panasonic's IPS Alpha panel, which provides the widest field of vision of any 32" set I looked at, an important consideration for me. The speakers also have more wattage than any other sets I looked at.

Like several other posters have mentioned, I also had a limited space issue (set fits into a bookcase), and the DT30 has the narrowest width of any set I looked at, and is about the shortest height-wise (I have it on a wall-mount, so no stand). This is because it has the narrowest bezels of any 32" set. It also looks very nice.

Great picture and performance. Would I have paid the original price of over a grand for it, though? Nope. As it was, it was still expensive at $800 with tax for a 32" set. It is the most expensive 32" set Fry's carries, and the thought that I could get two good 32" sets for the same price gave me pause. However, my space constraints limited my choices to only a few sets, and the Panasonic is probably the best 32" set out there now. I'm very satisfied with the set, and I'm glad I sprung for it.
post #427 of 434 Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Looking at the Panasonic web site for TV sales, the 37DT30 doesn't have an "add to cart" by it, so looks like they're all gone at the factory. The 32DT30 they have marked down (in round numbers) $100 to $900. The 46ST30 3d Plasma (they go from DT to ST in next sizes up) is the same price(!!) marked down $300 to $900. All other sets are marked down $200-300. Curious they haven't marked down the 32DT more - perhaps they're in short supply.
post #428 of 434 Old 01-17-2012, 08:36 PM

32DT still available at Amazon at what I believe are the lowest prices anyone has had for the model. I picked one up from another online retailer before Christmas and before Amazon and their listing merchants lowered the price to current levels. Have been quite pleased with it so far, although I suspect I still don't have the picture calibrated to where I will eventually get it and leave it.

As to the price in general, yes pretty crazy that it's more than what you can get a decent 46" or 50" set for, but I have an old built in cabinet that was made for a 26" 4:3 set and 32" is the largest 16:9 that would fit, and I was afraid this might be the last year a 32" set with this feature set might be available.
post #429 of 434 Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks for that Jake. I just put an order with Amazon for the 32DT30 as well.
post #430 of 434 Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 PM

replacing a bedroom 26" Wega that has to fit in an armoir.

care less about 3D.

major programming that we watch on this TV is night TV programs and on weekends SPORTS 24/7.

How does this set do with sports?

where can I get pixel test program? How about calibration disc?
post #431 of 434 Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 PM

Just looked at Amazon. Right now there's only one 32DT30 left, so if anyone's thinking about it, think fast!
post #432 of 434 Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtpittman View Post

replacing a bedroom 26" Wega that has to fit in an armoir.

care less about 3D.

major programming that we watch on this TV is night TV programs and on weekends SPORTS 24/7.

How does this set do with sports?

where can I get pixel test program? How about calibration disc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeroux; View Post

I suspect I still don't have the picture calibrated to where I will eventually get it and leave it.

wpittman & jakeroux,

See my post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21143114

For both DT30 settings and calibration discs. The AVSHD 709 Ver. 2d Blu-ray video calibration DVD is free.

SlotKar
post #433 of 434 Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Slotkar - Thanks for that information.
post #434 of 434 Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Yes, thanks and will give them a try. I've also been meaning to calibrate mine using my Spears & Munsil Blu Ray calibration disc I used on a another TV. As I recall though, it did not provide for nearly as many adjustment settings as what the DT30 has, so I'm not sure where I would even start in using it to try to get to the level of detail you have in your calibrations.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page