Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 434 Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3nia View Post
I might as well post my settings that I used after using the AVSHD Calibration disk.

Game Mode:

Backlight: 35
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 52
Color: 34
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Normal
Color Mgmt: Off
A.I. Picture: On
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off

ASPECT ADJUSTMENTS

Screen Format: Full
HD Size: Size 2

HDMI SETTINGS

All Default

ADVANCED PICTURE

Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light
Thank you for sharing!

Could you please post also settings w/o game mode, I mean for Normal, Cinema, etc?

I've ordered 37DT30 and I'm waiting for shipment...can't wait to receive it but a bit afraid about setting it right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 434 Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Tigerriot it is possible to have a picture of this horizontal banding that affect your model?
Just to be prepared what to see when plugging in and testing.

Thanks
post #183 of 434 Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Supra View Post
Got a 37DT30 on the way in exchange from the third party seller on amazon that i got the 42d30 from. I hope there isnt a problem with this one.
You just keep on walking into the same door.

I told you days ago that ALL LED EDGE LIT TVS WILL EXHIBIT THE PROBLEM YOU ARE SEEING. SO YES, THE 37DT30 WILL EXHIBIT THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

post #184 of 434 Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toto1973 View Post
Tigerriot it is possible to have a picture of this horizontal banding that affect your model?
Just to be prepared what to see when plugging in and testing.

Thanks
It's very difficult to take a picture of it. But it's very easy to test for this problem. Just put on any programming where there is panning left to right, or up and and down, across a mostly solid colored background.

Home improvement or home buying shows are the easiest ones, as they often pan across a room and you'll see the banding in the white walls. If you have any videogames where you play from a first person perspective, look at a sky and pan left to right, up and down. Walk up to a gray colored wall, and pan left and right, pan up and down.

Those are the easiest ways to see it. Unfortunately if the TV has it, and you know how to see it, you can notice it watching lots of different programming.

post #185 of 434 Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post
You just keep on walking into the same door.

I told you days ago that ALL LED EDGE LIT TVS WILL EXHIBIT THE PROBLEM YOU ARE SEEING. SO YES, THE 37DT30 WILL EXHIBIT THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.
The problem has been on normal LCDs as well as their LEDs.

Samsung 43D490 3D Plasma owner
post #186 of 434 Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3nia View Post

Black Level: Light

I'd love to try and get it balanced out so the Black Level on Dark looks good. Just from dinking around with it a little, it's too dark when everything else looks fine on Light.

Tried out the DVD Essentials disc last night, and it was pretty terrible. I'm going to try to get the calibration screens (From the calibration section) setup on my Apple TV 2 tonight.
post #187 of 434 Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM

Just an update I've found that I have been trying to pinpoint for a while.

The HDTV is making the typical "whine/squeel" a lot of older TVs did, its not very loud (sort of sounds like ears ringing but very light)

Confirmed it with other people, when the TV turns off it stops after 2-5 seconds and starts right when the tv turns on.

Not sure whats causing it or how to fix it but its definitely something future buyers will want to be aware of, It happens with both the replacement set and the previous set so I don't think it is a physical defect.

Going to try a different outlet and a few other things in the next few hours, Definitely not disappointed as everything else is simply amazing though.

EDIT: Two different surge protectors and 3 different outlets on different circuits or whatever, still the same whining. Going to have to say its definitely the TV but I'm not worried something is broken as this has been typical with my past tvs for years.
post #188 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:

It's very difficult to take a picture of it. But it's very easy to test for this problem. Just put on any programming where there is panning left to right, or up and and down, across a mostly solid colored background.

Home improvement or home buying shows are the easiest ones, as they often pan across a room and you'll see the banding in the white walls. If you have any videogames where you play from a first person perspective, look at a sky and pan left to right, up and down. Walk up to a gray colored wall, and pan left and right, pan up and down.

Those are the easiest ways to see it. Unfortunately if the TV has it, and you know how to see it, you can notice it watching lots of different programming.

Thanks, I'll try for sure with FPS on both Xbox and PS3...
post #189 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I have the equivalent 37DT30 in the UK. I do see uniformity problems on a totally white field. The left side of the screen is a bit brighter than the right side. I managed to check another one and it was practically identical. In a French review, theirs was brighter in the middle. So if you get one that is near perfect, you are very lucky it seems!
post #190 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I have the equivalent 37DT30 in the UK. I do see uniformity problems on a totally white field. The left side of the screen is a bit brighter than the right side. I managed to check another one and it was practically identical. In a French review, theirs was brighter in the middle. So if you get one that is near perfect, you are very lucky it seems!

It's gotten to the point where no TV is perfect. I'm attempting to just enjoy the set, and disregard the minor flashlighting issues. The overall picture quality certainly makes up for it, and you never even notice the issues on full screen movies anyway.
post #191 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosevilleHT View Post

It's gotten to the point where no TV is perfect. I'm attempting to just enjoy the set, and disregard the minor flashlighting issues. The overall picture quality certainly makes up for it, and you never even notice the issues on full screen movies anyway.

You are right.

Incidentally, there is a very strange implementation on the UK version. We do not have the backlight control. There is an option to enable the auto dimmable backlighting. The contrast slider actually changes the backlight. I can't understand why they have two totally different versions of the software on either side of the pond. Other controls like CATS are the same but I can see other differences too.
post #192 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried turning on that "AI picture" setting? It's quite good at hiding the flashlighting problems in very dark scenes.

post #193 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried turning on that "AI picture" setting? It's quite good at hiding the flashlighting problems in very dark scenes.

I assume what you are calling AI picture...is enabling the auto-dimming of the backlight? The only negative with this is if you watch in a darkened room, and then there is a bright object in one part of the screen, you see a lightening of the general area.
post #194 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assume what you are calling AI picture...is enabling the auto-dimming of the backlight? The only negative with this is if you watch in a darkened room, and then there is a bright object in one part of the screen, you see a lightening of the general area.

There is a specific setting called "AI PICTURE" in the TVs menus. I don't believe it's true local dimming, but it dims the entire picture if the scene is particularly dark.

post #195 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a specific setting called "AI PICTURE" in the TVs menus. I don't believe it's true local dimming, but it dims the entire picture if the scene is particularly dark.

Ok I am just trying to understand the setting relationship with the UK 37DT30. On the UK version there is a setting for Local Dimming. As it is an edge lit TV, this local dimming is very restricted. It can dim portions of the screen but its better than dimming the whole screen depending on the scene. The side effect is in a blacked out room, that you can see patches of lighter backlight such as around white credits on a black background.
post #196 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Setting the Black Level to Dark certainly takes care of all the flashlighting, but the reset of the pictue is then too dark. I'm going to play with those settings a bit more.
post #197 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I am just trying to understand the setting relationship with the UK 37DT30. On the UK version there is a setting for Local Dimming. As it is an edge lit TV, this local dimming is very restricted. It can dim portions of the screen but its better than dimming the whole screen depending on the scene. The side effect is in a blacked out room, that you can see patches of lighter backlight such as around white credits on a black background.

Well, I haven't noticed that setting on the D30 or the DT30 sets I've seen here in the U.S.

Quote:

Setting the Black Level to Dark certainly takes care of all the flashlighting, but the reset of the pictue is then too dark. I'm going to play with those settings a bit more.

Try AI picture. As you said, setting black level to "Dark" is not the answer. AI picture will only dim the image when the scene gets very dark, thus it looks just fine.

post #198 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM

Yeah leave the black level on light and have AI turned on.

If AI is not turned on blacks will look grey.

By the way does anyone know what AI even stands for?
post #199 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post
Yeah leave the black level on light and have AI turned on.

If AI is not turned on blacks will look grey.

By the way does anyone know what AI even stands for?
The AI is just Artificial Intelligence. Nothing special.
post #200 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:

The AI is just Artificial Intelligence. Nothing special.

Uh.....Thats for video games not displays.
post #201 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh.....Thats for video games not displays.

It's just a name they chose for the feature. It intelligently dims the picture as needed.

post #202 of 434 Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Lol. It's not exclusive to video games..
post #203 of 434 Old 05-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

How is SD signal on this TV? How different it is from TC-L37D2 in terms of quality. Any marked improvements apart from 3D
post #204 of 434 Old 05-30-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarthik View Post
How is SD signal on this TV? How different it is from TC-L37D2 in terms of quality. Any marked improvements apart from 3D
I can't say much to the SD quality, although I will say that this TV seems to do most things rather well. But quite honestly, any high quality HDTV isn't go to make SD signals shine. They're simply not built to do that.

Quality wise I think this is a very well made tv. Good, sturdy build quality. Fantastically modern industrial design. Good speakers for a flat panel. All the inputs you could need.

post #205 of 434 Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't say much to the SD quality, although I will say that this TV seems to do most things rather well. But quite honestly, any high quality HDTV isn't go to make SD signals shine. They're simply not built to do that.

Quality wise I think this is a very well made tv. Good, sturdy build quality. Fantastically modern industrial design. Good speakers for a flat panel. All the inputs you could need.

Agreed. I am looking to replace my 24 inch CRT in my bedroom. After looking at lot of small sized TVs i am tempted to go for this one.
post #206 of 434 Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarthik View Post

Agreed. I am looking to replace my 24 inch CRT in my bedroom. After looking at lot of small sized TVs i am tempted to go for this one.

If you're into gaming at all I don't think you should bother looking any further. This is the best gaming tv on the market right now in the 32-42 inch category.

post #207 of 434 Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:

If you're into gaming at all I don't think you should bother looking any further. This is the best gaming tv on the market right now in the 32-42 inch category.

This.
#1 importance in gaming is input lag, This has just about the least of any sub-$1000 TV I can think of.

Not only that but it's colors, blacks, and quality are WAY above what I've seen in the "average", or even the "good".

Oh, and it also has 3D (Though I haven't found a single game that looks good in it, Movies for the most part are great however. My copy of Killzone 3 is in the mail and I'm waiting on that)

Buy it.
post #208 of 434 Old 05-31-2011, 05:49 AM

Since this is a 240hz TV should I turn on or off the 24hz video playback setting on my PS3?
post #209 of 434 Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since this is a 240hz TV should I turn on or off the 24hz video playback setting on my PS3?

The fact that the TV is 240hz shouldn't factor into that equation. I would leave that setting on the PS3 at it's default setting.

post #210 of 434 Old 05-31-2011, 09:01 PM

I am even more confused after reading the 24hz section on CNET.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...#ixzz1NzeHh9El
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page