Panasonic DT30 impressions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 434 Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
 
CarmelRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I was wondering what people's impressions were of the new 2011 Panasonic DT30 which is a 3D LED/LCD that comes in 32 and 37 inchs.

There is already a review out at AVForums.com and Amazon just started selling it.

Personally I'm interested in it because of it's small size, 2ms response time, and low input lag. It seems perfect for gamers which undoubtedly are part of the target audience it is being marketing towards.

Looking forward to learning more about it.
CarmelRob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 434 Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am very interested as well. If this TV actually has low input lag it very well may be my next TV.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #3 of 434 Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Dark_Planet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The review on AVF said it had uneven lighting on one of the bottom corners.

It's kind of shocking to believe because I'm pretty sure it even had edge lit local dimming.
Dark_Planet is offline  
post #4 of 434 Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post

The review on AVF said it had uneven lighting on one of the bottom corners.

It's kind of shocking to believe because I'm pretty sure it even had edge lit local dimming.

Why would that shock you? Many edge lit TVs have uneven lighting issues, or flashlighting in corners.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #5 of 434 Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
CarmelRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My old 26'' Toshiba LCD has minor flashlighting on all four corners and is only discernible when the screen is entirely black. I never notice it otherwise.

Hopefully the new Pansonic's uneven lighting or flashlighting won't be noticable under real-world usage.
CarmelRob is offline  
post #6 of 434 Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone buy one yet?

Tigerriot is offline  
post #7 of 434 Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Do-It-Yourself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In a house far away from you creeps (hopefully)
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot

Why would that shock you? Many edge lit TVs have uneven lighting issues, or flashlighting in corners.
Even backlit local dimming sets suffer from it too.
Do-It-Yourself is offline  
post #8 of 434 Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Dark_Planet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post
Even backlit local dimming sets suffer from it too.
Only edge lit sets with local dimming suffer from it

The full lit sets with local dimming do not have flash lighting problems.

But its a shame the full lit sets with local dimming rarely come in 32-40 inch sizes.
Dark_Planet is offline  
post #9 of 434 Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just got mine. 37"

Not sure I am going to keep it, kind of torn at the moment. I'm using it in an office as a computer monitor and gaming screen. At the back of the desk it looks great and works well I can lean back in my chair and read text with ease UNLESS that text is red, blue, or cyan. It also has some bleed in the bands in the YCbCr444 test image I've found. It also fails in mIRC chat with black background when anyone uses Red or Blue text.

This text issue really bugs me since my old Sharp LC-32GP3U and even some no-name 26" set manage to get that right. This one thing may kill the deal. I even updated the set's firmware with the latest version from Panasonic's support page in the hopes it would cure the issue. If anyone here has an idea how to get into the service menu and if there are any tweaks that might help feel free to chime in.

BTW - North America firmware link: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_na1.html Seems quite a few of Panasonic's Plasma and LCD models share the same firmware. More generic select your location link: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...010/index.html and the 2010 refers to Viera models starting in 2010 onward.

I will say that when I have an active image (even a full black screen) I did not have the light leakage as bad as found in the AVForums review.

Heck, with a full black image up it was hard to tell the picture was even on.

I've attached the image I used for YCbCr444.

I did watch a 3D movie, and can I just say as one who had not really bothered with 3D (have not seen a single one in the theater, etc) that was impressive.

I'll add pictures of the set itself with the issues in a bit. -- EDIT: added images. Edit again: There are more test images further in thread.
Images (not ignore the little red dot in each, my crummy camera trying to focus at close range):
BottomLight.jpg - shows in a completely dark room I had little light bleed. Top of screen did seem slightly darker. You can see my cable modem and my router lights below the set.
TestPatternResult.jpg - show the color crossing and inaccurate reproduction of the test pattern.
IRCBlueRedIssue.jpg - shows the issue I was discussing with red and blue text bleeding and not printing well. The fact that the colors look wrong is a function of my crummy camera they look much more accurate color wise on the screen.

Yeah, I know I need a new camera. I'd take a pic of the set all lit up, etc except I've still got the trim tape in place till I decide if I am keeping it or not.

Here is the data from Entech Moninfo:
Code:
Monitor Asset Manager Report, generated 4/8/2011
Copyright (c) 1995-2011, EnTech Taiwan.
---------------------------

Monitor #1 [Real-time 0x0071]
  Model name............... PanasonicTV0
  Manufacturer............. Panasonic
  Plug and Play ID......... MEIC318
  Serial number............ n/a
  Manufacture date......... 2011, ISO week 0
  -------------------------
  EDID revision............ 1.3
  Input signal type........ Digital
  Color bit depth.......... Undefined
  Display type............. RGB color
  Screen size.............. Undefined or variable
  Power management......... Not supported
  Extension blocs.......... 1 (CEA-EXT)
  -------------------------
  DDC/CI................... Not supported

Color characteristics
  Default color space...... Non-sRGB
  Display gamma............ 2.20
  Red chromaticity......... Rx 0.640 - Ry 0.345
  Green chromaticity....... Gx 0.291 - Gy 0.635
  Blue chromaticity........ Bx 0.163 - By 0.093
  White point (default).... Wx 0.288 - Wy 0.296
  Additional descriptors... None

Timing characteristics
  Horizontal scan range.... 15-68kHz
  Vertical scan range...... 23-61Hz
  Video bandwidth.......... 150MHz
  CVT standard............. Not supported
  GTF standard............. Not supported
  Additional descriptors... None
  Preferred timing......... Yes
  Native/preferred timing.. 1920x1080p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1920x1080" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Detailed timing #1....... 1920x1080i at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1920x1080" 74.250 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124 interlace +hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported

EIA/CEA-861 Information
  Revision number.......... 3
  IT underscan............. Not supported
  Basic audio.............. Supported
  YCbCr 4:4:4.............. Supported
  YCbCr 4:2:2.............. Supported
  Native formats........... 1
  Detailed timing #1....... 1280x720p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
  Detailed timing #2....... 720x480p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "720x480" 27.000 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync
  Detailed timing #3....... 720x480p at 60Hz (4:3)
    Modeline............... "720x480" 27.000 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync
  Detailed timing #4....... 1440x480i at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1440x480" 27.000 1440 1478 1602 1716 480 488 494 524 interlace -hsync -vsync

CE video identifiers (VICs) - timing/formats supported
    1920 x 1080p at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1) [Native]
    1920 x 1080i at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
    1920 x 1080p at  24Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
    1280 x  720p at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
     720 x  480p at  60Hz - EDTV (16:9, 32:27)
     720 x  480p at  60Hz - EDTV (4:3, 8:9)
     720 x  480i at  60Hz - Doublescan (16:9, 32:27)
     720 x  480i at  60Hz - Doublescan (4:3, 8:9)
     640 x  480p at  60Hz - Default (4:3, 1:1)
    NB: NTSC refresh rate = (Hz*1000)/1001

CE audio data (formats supported)
  LPCM    2-channel, 16-bit              at 32/44/48 kHz

CE vendor specific data (VSDB)
  IEEE registration number. 0x000C03
  CEC physical address..... 1.0.0.0
  Supports AI (ACP, ISRC).. Yes
  Supports 48bpp........... No
  Supports 36bpp........... Yes
  Supports 30bpp........... Yes
  Supports YCbCr 4:4:4..... Yes
  Supports dual-link DVI... No
  Maximum TMDS clock....... 225MHz
  Audio/video latency (p).. n/a
  Audio/video latency (i).. n/a
  HDMI video capabilities.. Yes
  EDID screen size......... No additional info
  3D structures supported.. Frame packing, Side-by-side, Top-and-bottom, Side-by-side w. horizontal sub-sampling, Side-by-side w. quincunx sub-sampling
  3D formats supported..... Mandatory formats plus some primary VICs
    1920 x 1080i at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
    1920 x 1080p at  24Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
    1280 x  720p at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
     720 x  480p at  60Hz - EDTV (16:9, 32:27)
     720 x  480p at  60Hz - EDTV (4:3, 8:9)
     720 x  480i at  60Hz - Doublescan (16:9, 32:27)
     720 x  480i at  60Hz - Doublescan (4:3, 8:9)
     640 x  480p at  60Hz - Default (4:3, 1:1)
    NB: NTSC refresh rate = (Hz*1000)/1001
  Data payload............. 030C001000B82D2FC007814901FE0608000000

Report information
  Date generated........... 4/8/2011
  Software revision........ 2.59.0.934
  Data source.............. Real-time 0x0071
  Operating system......... 6.1.7600.2

Raw data
  00,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,00,34,A9,18,C3,01,01,01,01,00,15,01,03,80,00,00,78,0A,DA,FF,A3,58,4A,A2,29,
  17,49,4B,00,00,00,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,02,3A,80,18,71,38,2D,40,58,2C,
  45,00,BA,88,21,00,00,1E,01,1D,80,18,71,1C,16,20,58,2C,25,00,BA,88,21,00,00,9E,00,00,00,FC,00,50,
  61,6E,61,73,6F,6E,69,63,54,56,30,0A,00,00,00,FD,00,17,3D,0F,44,0F,00,0A,20,20,20,20,20,20,01,3A,
  02,03,26,71,49,90,05,20,04,03,02,07,06,01,23,09,07,01,73,03,0C,00,10,00,B8,2D,2F,C0,07,81,49,01,
  FE,06,08,00,00,00,01,1D,00,72,51,D0,1E,20,6E,28,55,00,BA,88,21,00,00,1E,8C,0A,D0,8A,20,E0,2D,10,
  10,3E,96,00,BA,88,21,00,00,18,8C,0A,D0,8A,20,E0,2D,10,10,3E,96,00,0B,88,21,00,00,18,8C,0A,A0,14,
  51,F0,16,00,26,7C,43,00,BA,88,21,00,00,98,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,92

LL
LL
LL
LL
Kelendral is offline  
post #10 of 434 Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Dark_Planet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Comment removed.
Dark_Planet is offline  
post #11 of 434 Old 04-09-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post

Should I return my 40'' samsung for the DT30?

From the pictures posted above the blacks look way better than my samsung.

Here is my 2011 samsung and it has flashlighting in the corners.

My backlight is on 12 /20

I don't really think this is the best thread for you to be asking such questions. You might want to try the 2011 Samsung thread.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #12 of 434 Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelendral View Post

Well, I just got mine. 37"

Not sure I am going to keep it, kind of torn at the moment. I'm using it in an office as a computer monitor and gaming screen. At the back of the desk it looks great and works well I can lean back in my chair and read text with ease UNLESS that text is red, blue, or cyan. It also has some bleed in the bands in the YCbCr444 test image I've found. It also fails in mIRC chat with black background when anyone uses Red or Blue text.

This text issue really bugs me since my old Sharp LC-32GP3U and even some no-name 26" set manage to get that right. This one thing may kill the deal. I even updated the set's firmware with the latest version from Panasonic's support page in the hopes it would cure the issue. If anyone here has an idea how to get into the service menu and if there are any tweaks that might help feel free to chime in.

BTW - North America firmware link: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_na1.html Seems quite a few of Panasonic's Plasma and LCD models share the same firmware. More generic select your location link: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...010/index.html and the 2010 refers to Viera models starting in 2010 onward.

I will say that when I have an active image (even a full black screen) I did not have the light leakage as bad as found in the AVForums review.

Heck, with a full black image up it was hard to tell the picture was even on.

I've attached the image I used for YCbCr444.

I did watch a 3D movie, and can I just say as one who had not really bothered with 3D (have not seen a single one in the theater, etc) that was impressive.

I'll add pictures of the set itself with the issues in a bit. -- EDIT: added images.
Images (not ignore the little red dot in each, my crummy camera trying to focus at close range):
BottomLight.jpg - shows in a completely dark room I had little light bleed. Top of screen did seem slightly darker. You can see my cable modem and my router lights below the set.
TestPatternResult.jpg - show the color crossing and inaccurate reproduction of the test pattern.
IRCBlueRedIssue.jpg - shows the issue I was discussing with red and blue text bleeding and not printing well. The fact that the colors look wrong is a function of my crummy camera they look much more accurate color wise on the screen.

Yeah, I know I need a new camera. I'd take a pic of the set all lit up, etc except I've still got the trim tape in place till I decide if I am keeping it or not.

Here is the data from Entech Moninfo:
Code:
Monitor Asset Manager Report, generated 4/8/2011
Copyright (c) 1995-2011, EnTech Taiwan.
---------------------------

Monitor #1 [Real-time 0x0071]
  Model name............... PanasonicTV0
  Manufacturer............. Panasonic
  Plug and Play ID......... MEIC318
  Serial number............ n/a
  Manufacture date......... 2011, ISO week 0
  -------------------------
  EDID revision............ 1.3
  Input signal type........ Digital
  Color bit depth.......... Undefined
  Display type............. RGB color
  Screen size.............. Undefined or variable
  Power management......... Not supported
  Extension blocs.......... 1 (CEA-EXT)
  -------------------------
  DDC/CI................... Not supported

Color characteristics
  Default color space...... Non-sRGB
  Display gamma............ 2.20
  Red chromaticity......... Rx 0.640 - Ry 0.345
  Green chromaticity....... Gx 0.291 - Gy 0.635
  Blue chromaticity........ Bx 0.163 - By 0.093
  White point (default).... Wx 0.288 - Wy 0.296
  Additional descriptors... None

Timing characteristics
  Horizontal scan range.... 15-68kHz
  Vertical scan range...... 23-61Hz
  Video bandwidth.......... 150MHz
  CVT standard............. Not supported
  GTF standard............. Not supported
  Additional descriptors... None
  Preferred timing......... Yes
  Native/preferred timing.. 1920x1080p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1920x1080" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Detailed timing #1....... 1920x1080i at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1920x1080" 74.250 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1124 interlace +hsync +vsync

Standard timings supported

EIA/CEA-861 Information
  Revision number.......... 3
  IT underscan............. Not supported
  Basic audio.............. Supported
  YCbCr 4:4:4.............. Supported
  YCbCr 4:2:2.............. Supported
  Native formats........... 1
  Detailed timing #1....... 1280x720p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
  Detailed timing #2....... 720x480p at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "720x480" 27.000 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync
  Detailed timing #3....... 720x480p at 60Hz (4:3)
    Modeline............... "720x480" 27.000 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync
  Detailed timing #4....... 1440x480i at 60Hz (16:9)
    Modeline............... "1440x480" 27.000 1440 1478 1602 1716 480 488 494 524 interlace -hsync -vsync

CE video identifiers (VICs) - timing/formats supported
    1920 x 1080p at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1) [Native]
    1920 x 1080i at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
    1920 x 1080p at  24Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
    1280 x  720p at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
     720 x  480p at  60Hz - EDTV (16:9, 32:27)
     720 x  480p at  60Hz - EDTV (4:3, 8:9)
     720 x  480i at  60Hz - Doublescan (16:9, 32:27)
     720 x  480i at  60Hz - Doublescan (4:3, 8:9)
     640 x  480p at  60Hz - Default (4:3, 1:1)
    NB: NTSC refresh rate = (Hz*1000)/1001

CE audio data (formats supported)
  LPCM    2-channel, 16-bit              at 32/44/48 kHz

CE vendor specific data (VSDB)
  IEEE registration number. 0x000C03
  CEC physical address..... 1.0.0.0
  Supports AI (ACP, ISRC).. Yes
  Supports 48bpp........... No
  Supports 36bpp........... Yes
  Supports 30bpp........... Yes
  Supports YCbCr 4:4:4..... Yes
  Supports dual-link DVI... No
  Maximum TMDS clock....... 225MHz
  Audio/video latency (p).. n/a
  Audio/video latency (i).. n/a
  HDMI video capabilities.. Yes
  EDID screen size......... No additional info
  3D structures supported.. Frame packing, Side-by-side, Top-and-bottom, Side-by-side w. horizontal sub-sampling, Side-by-side w. quincunx sub-sampling
  3D formats supported..... Mandatory formats plus some primary VICs
    1920 x 1080i at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
    1920 x 1080p at  24Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
    1280 x  720p at  60Hz - HDTV (16:9, 1:1)
     720 x  480p at  60Hz - EDTV (16:9, 32:27)
     720 x  480p at  60Hz - EDTV (4:3, 8:9)
     720 x  480i at  60Hz - Doublescan (16:9, 32:27)
     720 x  480i at  60Hz - Doublescan (4:3, 8:9)
     640 x  480p at  60Hz - Default (4:3, 1:1)
    NB: NTSC refresh rate = (Hz*1000)/1001
  Data payload............. 030C001000B82D2FC007814901FE0608000000

Report information
  Date generated........... 4/8/2011
  Software revision........ 2.59.0.934
  Data source.............. Real-time 0x0071
  Operating system......... 6.1.7600.2

Raw data
  00,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,00,34,A9,18,C3,01,01,01,01,00,15,01,03,80,00,00,78,0A,DA,FF,A3,58,4A,A2,29,
  17,49,4B,00,00,00,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,02,3A,80,18,71,38,2D,40,58,2C,
  45,00,BA,88,21,00,00,1E,01,1D,80,18,71,1C,16,20,58,2C,25,00,BA,88,21,00,00,9E,00,00,00,FC,00,50,
  61,6E,61,73,6F,6E,69,63,54,56,30,0A,00,00,00,FD,00,17,3D,0F,44,0F,00,0A,20,20,20,20,20,20,01,3A,
  02,03,26,71,49,90,05,20,04,03,02,07,06,01,23,09,07,01,73,03,0C,00,10,00,B8,2D,2F,C0,07,81,49,01,
  FE,06,08,00,00,00,01,1D,00,72,51,D0,1E,20,6E,28,55,00,BA,88,21,00,00,1E,8C,0A,D0,8A,20,E0,2D,10,
  10,3E,96,00,BA,88,21,00,00,18,8C,0A,D0,8A,20,E0,2D,10,10,3E,96,00,0B,88,21,00,00,18,8C,0A,A0,14,
  51,F0,16,00,26,7C,43,00,BA,88,21,00,00,98,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,92

Where did you purchase DT30 from?
jp0213x is offline  
post #13 of 434 Old 04-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon. Came nice and fast via UPS.
Kelendral is offline  
post #14 of 434 Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelendral View Post

Amazon. Came nice and fast via UPS.

Would you mind posting a few pics from different angles? Also, do you notice it making any sound while on? Such as a buzz or anything?


Do you plan on doing any input lag tests? I'm sure that's something a lot of people would be curious to hear about.

Lastly, how far can you sit back and feel the 3D working well? I read one review for this TV where they suggested that it had to be about 3 feet away for the 3D to work well, and I'm curious if this is actually true.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #15 of 434 Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately pretty boxed in here int he office so not really able to get any side angles. If I decide to return it and remember I'll try and get some shots in the other room. This whole red and blue thing is really annoying the heck out of me. Mainly since I see those 2 colors of text on black every day and having the word jump look like the word jurp due to how blurry things get and how poorly it renders really grates on my nerves.

3D was quite fine when I was lounging in the chair laid back which put my head between 5 and 6 feet from the screen.

Not sure about lag test, possibly, but doubtful as I don't have any analog displays anymore.
As a note back to the YCbCr Chroma Subsampling issue, it is even noticeable on bold red text on this forum such as this line from the Input Lag thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Component Standard Mode / 1080p / No image enhancers activated.
Moving the browser window left and right a pixel or 2 will change the light/dark regions of the lettering. Meanwhile displaying that same line on one of the other screens I mentioned which do not have this issue causes it to display light, clean and proper red consistently with no oddly dark areas in the text.
Kelendral is offline  
post #16 of 434 Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just adding info on how to get into the Service Menu:
* Press and hold the VOL DOWN button on the set (not the remote)
* Quickly press the INFO/RECALL button three times

Although don't really see anything to help with the subsampling issue.

Did find it interesting that Boot has 2 options, ROM and SD. If I was a bit more adventurous I'd try setting it to SD and putting the FW on the SD card. Then again without a different version to test than the one the set is currently running how would one know if it worked.

Added 2 new test images (well really the same image with the canvas size increased). The 1920x1080 version was zipped to keep within forum attachment posting requirements.
Each line of text for the same color is shifted by exactly 1 pixel.
On a TV without YCbCr444 / chroma subsampling issues both lines of the same color should appear identical. Also the line containing the vertical pipes should be evenly spaced and consistent in appearance. Each vertical pipe should be exactly 1 pixel in width when the image is displayed at 100% of it's size. The last 2 lines show the red and blue which are common colors that have chroma subsampling issues as foreground and background which if such issue exists make this text look horrible.

The DT30 fails this miserably for Red and Blue. Picture of said failure can be seen as well. Yes, for the vertical pipes "|||" it really is that bad.
LL

 

TextTest_1920x1080.zip 16.2080078125k . file
LL
Kelendral is offline  
post #17 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It doesn't seem the least bit surprising that this TV doesn't work well as a computer monitor. Most HDTVs don't.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #18 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

Would you mind posting a few pics from different angles? Also, do you notice it making any sound while on? Such as a buzz or anything?


Do you plan on doing any input lag tests? I'm sure that's something a lot of people would be curious to hear about.

Lastly, how far can you sit back and feel the 3D working well? I read one review for this TV where they suggested that it had to be about 3 feet away for the 3D to work well, and I'm curious if this is actually true.

Still undecided but I did turn it on the desk and take a look and a pic or 2 while it was at an angle. You can see in the picture I am nearly right on the edge and the image (other than reflections from the nearby items on the desk) remains viewable. From what I could see, focusing on the other edge becomes more of an issue simply due to trying to view at such a sharp angle not due to a loss of picture quality. Sorry the images are on their side but the forum wanted to resize them when I tried uploading them as 800x1280 instead of 1280x800, thought it would have accepted either as valid.

No buzz or any other noted noise. Even before putting on the desk when I did dead pixel check in the other room it was dead silent (noticed no dead/stuck/partial pixels at all). Can't comment on the speakers as the office has 7.1 surround.

3D has been played around with and looks fine watching nVidia tests, and Avatar bluray from 4' to 7' distances from the screen. I can not test anything outside of those ranges as closer things just get to big and further away is impossible due to a wall behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

It doesn't seem the least bit surprising that this TV doesn't work well as a computer monitor. Most HDTVs don't.

I suppose I've just been spoiled/lucky. As I said, loathe to admit it, but I did get a great black friday deal, even though edge enhancement can't be disabled I have a 26" Insignia that does this correctly as a secondary monitor, and my old Sharp LC-32GP3U used to be fine (heck, wish that had been 37" and 3D instead of 32 and 2D).
LL
LL
Kelendral is offline  
post #19 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the impressions Kelendral. I think I confused you when I requested "pictures from angles". lol

I really just meant pictures of the TV, but showing it from different perspectives. In other words, I'm curious what the TV looks like when in someone's home, rather than the promotional shots we've seen from Panasonic.


I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on this TV to become my main gaming TV, but I'm just annoyed and confused as to why Panasonic chose to not offer this TV in a 42 inch size. If they had my decision would be over with, and I'd be buying one today.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #20 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelendral View Post

Still undecided but I did turn it on the desk and take a look and a pic or 2 while it was at an angle. You can see in the picture I am nearly right on the edge and the image (other than reflections from the nearby items on the desk) remains viewable. From what I could see, focusing on the other edge becomes more of an issue simply due to trying to view at such a sharp angle not due to a loss of picture quality. Sorry the images are on their side but the forum wanted to resize them when I tried uploading them as 800x1280 instead of 1280x800, thought it would have accepted either as valid.

No buzz or any other noted noise. Even before putting on the desk when I did dead pixel check in the other room it was dead silent (noticed no dead/stuck/partial pixels at all). Can't comment on the speakers as the office has 7.1 surround.

3D has been played around with and looks fine watching nVidia tests, and Avatar bluray from 4' to 7' distances from the screen. I can not test anything outside of those ranges as closer things just get to big and further away is impossible due to a wall behind me.

I suppose I've just been spoiled/lucky. As I said, loathe to admit it, but I did get a great black friday deal, even though edge enhancement can't be disabled I have a 26" Insignia that does this correctly as a secondary monitor, and my old Sharp LC-32GP3U used to be fine (heck, wish that had been 37" and 3D instead of 32 and 2D).

I was about to say the same thing, this is a tv first before using it as a computer monitor. You hardly ever find a tv that is going to do and display everything perfectly. If your using this tv as a pc monitor is a deal breaker for you, maybe you should return it. I would like to know how the overall quality of the DT30? The Panasonic tour will be in my area this week and hopefully the DT will be one of the lcd's on display.
jp0213x is offline  
post #21 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
I was about to say the same thing, this is a tv first before using it as a computer monitor. You hardly ever find a tv that is going to do and display everything perfectly. If your using this tv as a pc monitor is a deal breaker for you, maybe you should return it. I would like to know how the overall quality of the DT30? The Panasonic tour will be in my area this week and hopefully the DT will be one of the lcd's on display.
As a TV and for displaying movies and 3D I feel it is a very beautiful display. My concerns revolve though around how accurate color reproduction and image reproduction can possibly be when using my 360, PS3, and PC connected to it. Clearly it has some issues when it comes to red and blues. Since for all intents and purposes those 3 devices communicate in a similar manner (heck one can even take some of the test images and sized properly display them on the other devices and see the same distorted color issues (at least from the 360 so far I could)). Haven't connected the PS3 yet to this screen so not sure (Avatar was was watched from the PC).

So, considering these 3 devices operate and output in a similar manner that leaves a very big chunk of what this set will be used for in a state of questionable accuracy of image reproduction.

I find it very dismaying that a company that on the one hand (their 3D Bluray player) touts the need and value of accurate chroma reproduction and 444 support fails to deliver it in their display devices. One must wonder what device they intend to connect their Bluray player to as clearly, for accurate chroma reproduction and 444 support, it is not their own television sets. Then again who knows, maybe their bluray player is just marketing bull and outputs at 422 only. It wouldn't be the first time a company pulled a snow job on their consumers.

As I've said though, I have found the image to be quite nice and for most things the reproduction looks great.

I'll also admit, the step up from 32" is quite noticeable when I want to just lean back in my chair and browse the web.
Kelendral is offline  
post #22 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelendral View Post
As a TV and for displaying movies and 3D I feel it is a very beautiful display. My concerns revolve though around how accurate color reproduction and image reproduction can possibly be when using my 360, PS3, and PC connected to it. Clearly it has some issues when it comes to red and blues. Since for all intents and purposes those 3 devices communicate in a similar manner (heck one can even take some of the test images and sized properly display them on the other devices and see the same distorted color issues (at least from the 360 so far I could)). Haven't connected the PS3 yet to this screen so not sure (Avatar was was watched from the PC).

So, considering these 3 devices operate and output in a similar manner that leaves a very big chunk of what this set will be used for in a state of questionable accuracy of image reproduction.

I find it very dismaying that a company that on the one hand (their 3D Bluray player) touts the need and value of accurate chroma reproduction and 444 support fails to deliver it in their display devices. One must wonder what device they intend to connect their Bluray player to as clearly, for accurate chroma reproduction and 444 support, it is not their own television sets. Then again who knows, maybe their bluray player is just marketing bull and outputs at 422 only. It wouldn't be the first time a company pulled a snow job on their consumers.

As I've said though, I have found the image to be quite nice and for most things the reproduction looks great.

I'll also admit, the step up from 32" is quite noticeable when I want to just lean back in my chair and browse the web.
Cool can we get some photos of the DT30 in action?
jp0213x is offline  
post #23 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
Cool can we get some photos of the DT30 in action?
I can try and get some decent shots but as you may have noticed, accurate color reproduction from the current camera I've got is not really that great when taking shots of LCD.
Kelendral is offline  
post #24 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelendral View Post
I can try and get some decent shots but as you may have noticed, accurate color reproduction from the current camera I've got is not really that great when taking shots of LCD.
Any shots are better then none.
jp0213x is offline  
post #25 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelendral View Post
I can try and get some decent shots but as you may have noticed, accurate color reproduction from the current camera I've got is not really that great when taking shots of LCD.
I'd be interested in pictures of the tv itself, and not the picture it's displaying. I have yet to find good photos of this TV's design. The PR shots have been low quality and small.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #26 of 434 Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

I'd be interested in pictures of the tv itself, and not the picture it's displaying. I have yet to find good photos of this TV's design. The PR shots have been low quality and small.

Not sure how much my shots may help then since as I said I've not taken off the frame's protective tape stuff yet. I did peek under and the frame is the same somewhat glossy black as the front of the base (which is very short although I imagine most will be wall mounting).

I've included shots of the base as well as some assembly damage that is on the unit I have here (looks like the back did not get seated into the front quite properly). It's not visible to the front but I did notice it when trying to use those very inconveniently placed buttons to get a peek into the service menu.

I hope these help.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Kelendral is offline  
post #27 of 434 Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Dark_Planet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Kelendral I watch a whole bunch of movies at night with the lights off and I just got the 40'' samsung unD6400 and there's minor flashlighting and clouding on dark scenes of movies and its driving me nuts.

I can still return it....But before I do I would like your opinion.

Is the DT30 superior to my samsung as far as the backlight Performance and black levels go?

Here is my samsung with the lights turned off.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/DSC00425.jpg
Dark_Planet is offline  
post #28 of 434 Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post

Hey Kelendral I watch a whole bunch of movies at night with the lights off and I just got the 40'' samsung unD6400 and there's minor flashlighting and clouding on dark scenes of movies and its driving me nuts.

I can still return it....But before I do I would like your opinion.

Is the DT30 superior to my samsung as far as the backlight Performance and black levels go?

Here is my samsung with the lights turned off.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/DSC00425.jpg

I can tell you one reason the Panasonic will look better right off the bat. It's got an IPS panel and the Samsung does not. That means you'll get much better viewing angles and no black smearing on the Panasonic.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #29 of 434 Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Member
 
Kelendral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Planet View Post

Hey Kelendral I watch a whole bunch of movies at night with the lights off and I just got the 40'' samsung unD6400 and there's minor flashlighting and clouding on dark scenes of movies and its driving me nuts.

I can still return it....But before I do I would like your opinion.

Is the DT30 superior to my samsung as far as the backlight Performance and black levels go?

Here is my samsung with the lights turned off.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/DSC00425.jpg

I can't really make a judgment call like that for you. I can say i don't have the flashlighting like in the upper left of your photo. Then again the 37DT30 that got reviewed at AVForums did have a quite noticeable flashlighting in the bottom right. I think with the trend for thinner flat panels there is the increased risk of flashlighting or streaking. While neither should be acceptable, one also doesn't want to spend a lot of time in the exchange loop (I went through that with the Sharp LC32GP3U, took 4 exchanges (5 if you count the one that was dead right in the store) before getting a good one).

I will say the more I use this set and think about things the more I am leaning towards keeping it. Most video/photo/gaming content will tend to be more diffuse and/or wider than single thin pixel line events in a way to trigger the chroma subsampling issue and it would also be very rare to encounter such colors as text in video (maybe not games) in such a configuration. 360 and PS3 games really won't be 1080p anyway as those systems have very few games out of their collections that run that resolution native as most are upscaled.

On a 3D note. I tried out the 2D -> 3D conversion. It works surprisingly well for the human form. Not so good for landscape scenes, outdoors, inanimate objects, or animation. The less stuff in the scene the more accurate it seems to be; the same with tight corridors/smaller rooms. I was quite surprised as I actually expected it to be miserable. Even watched an episode of ST:TNG with it turned on. Kind of neat. I'd never make conversion a primary watching format but it is somewhere between tolerable to good and worth checking out occasionally. If nothing else it is quite funny sometimes when it gets the conversion horribly wrong.
Kelendral is offline  
post #30 of 434 Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelendral View Post

I can't really make a judgment call like that for you. I can say i don't have the flashlighting like in the upper left of your photo. Then again the 37DT30 that got reviewed at AVForums did have a quite noticeable flashlighting in the bottom right. I think with the trend for thinner flat panels there is the increased risk of flashlighting or streaking. While neither should be acceptable, one also doesn't want to spend a lot of time in the exchange loop (I went through that with the Sharp LC32GP3U, took 4 exchanges (5 if you count the one that was dead right in the store) before getting a good one).

I will say the more I use this set and think about things the more I am leaning towards keeping it. Most video/photo/gaming content will tend to be more diffuse and/or wider than single thin pixel line events in a way to trigger the chroma subsampling issue and it would also be very rare to encounter such colors as text in video (maybe not games) in such a configuration. 360 and PS3 games really won't be 1080p anyway as those systems have very few games out of their collections that run that resolution native as most are upscaled.

On a 3D note. I tried out the 2D -> 3D conversion. It works surprisingly well for the human form. Not so good for landscape scenes, outdoors, inanimate objects, or animation. The less stuff in the scene the more accurate it seems to be; the same with tight corridors/smaller rooms. I was quite surprised as I actually expected it to be miserable. Even watched an episode of ST:TNG with it turned on. Kind of neat. I'd never make conversion a primary watching format but it is somewhere between tolerable to good and worth checking out occasionally. If nothing else it is quite funny sometimes when it gets the conversion horribly wrong.


Do you have any blue rays you can play from the ps3? can you get some shots of the tv but not so close up? To confirm does the DT30 come with a pair of 3d glasses?
jp0213x is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off