Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3430 Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbeagle View Post

2) I assume I should hook PS3 up directly to TV vs through my KDL-1019AH receiver.... If I do this - will audio route back through TV (from PS3) to Receiver over Optical? (or do I need to run an optical from PS3->Receiver.

If your receiver has an HDMI in and an HDMI out, why wouldn't you run it through the receiver and then to the TV? There would be no benefit of running the video to the TV and then the Audio to the Receiver (unless your receiver was a little older and didn't have dedicated HDMI inputs along with an HDMI output).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3430 Old 04-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr View Post

If your receiver has an HDMI in and an HDMI out, why wouldn't you run it through the receiver and then to the TV? There would be no benefit of running the video to the TV and then the Audio to the Receiver (unless your receiver was a little older and didn't have dedicated HDMI inputs along with an HDMI output).

I don't believe the VSX-1019 supports 3d passthrough (does it?) - therefore, running PS3->TV and Audio back to receiver will enable 3D...
post #3063 of 3430 Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 PM

I did a quick google search and came up with nothing. I have had my 60NX720 for a whopping 3 days, and every night there is a very loud buzzing coming from the TV, and gets loud the brighter the picture being displayed. For example, when it becomes all white, its ridiculous, all black, its not as loud. I've had the TV on for about 6 hours each day before the sound appears. Could it be a fan they somehow crammed in there? Is this a known problem? It overcomes the sound of what I'm watching so it is not something I will be able to live with...

Other than that, picture looks great!
post #3064 of 3430 Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vx6000 View Post

I did a quick google search and came up with nothing. I have had my 60NX720 for a whopping 3 days, and every night there is a very loud buzzing coming from the TV, and gets loud the brighter the picture being displayed. For example, when it becomes all white, its ridiculous, all black, its not as loud. I've had the TV on for about 6 hours each day before the sound appears. Could it be a fan they somehow crammed in there? Is this a known problem? It overcomes the sound of what I'm watching so it is not something I will be able to live with...

Odd....I don't get any buzzing at all. If it seems associated with peak brightness does it lessen if you lower the backlight? Just curious.

Are you sure you didn't buy a plasma?
post #3065 of 3430 Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I got this TV as a replacement for my XBR2 because of Sonys lawsuit and many issues that plauged there XBR rear projection SXRD line. My issues didn't show up till much later, but they sent this as a replacement. I finally unboxed it because I moved the XBR up north to our lake house, even though it looks a tad green. When I unboxed this, I was wowed once again, but then a week later I see a line off to the right and I can not figure out what is causing it. Running Component via DirecTV so not sure if it is that signal that could be the problem as I will be running checking the HDMI connection as well. Sucks as I was about ready to order the extended Warr, as I am unsure on how long Sony Warr is by itself. I believe it is one year parts and labor. What I find laughable is they expect you to fork over your good earned cash these days and these products just don't have the QC as they once did, sure the quality picture is stunning but it just doesn't seem to last.
post #3066 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:

No fan in there, you need to contact sony. There should be no buzzing. Possibly a power supply issue.
post #3067 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone tell me what this is? Crease problem or just bad bank of LEDs? 1 week from me opening the box and this is what I see. Plus this was a replacement for my XBR2, I just hope Sony does the right thing and gives me one that works properly as I do like the picture quality.
LL
LL
post #3068 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

Did you turn the light sensor off? Look for it under Eco.

OMG, THANKS a lot!

Why was this turned on by default anyways? -.-
This is amazinggg!

Thanks again :P!
post #3069 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Garmin it looks like that is an issue within the panel itself...the crease looks like a shadow and is usually closer to the edge. This looks like damage to the cystals in the panel...sony will either replace the panel or the television.
post #3070 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgsxr1000 View Post

Garmin it looks like that is an issue within the panel itself...the crease looks like a shadow and is usually closer to the edge. This looks like damage to the cystals in the panel...sony will either replace the panel or the television.

I agree...that's a bad panel.
post #3071 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM

I just got a 60NX725 (Brazil). I calibrated it and then saturated the colors a little bit (personal preference). Even with tv's backlit set to MAX the blacks and whites are solid. I am using Audioquest Forest HDMI cables. Pictures taken with TV's backlit set to MAX.

BLACK / WHITE

PICTURE QUALITY (with camera's flash)

PICTURE QUALITY (without camera's flash)

REST OF TE SYSTEM

I think everything worked out ok, I have only one question. Its about the deep color (36bits) setting. The oppo 93 can output deep color (36bits). Can the NX720 accept 36bits color? When I set the oppo to output deep color (36bits), the NX720 produces a noisy screen for 5 seconds or so (similar to old antenna noise, when you have no channel tunned yet on your tv tunner), and after those 5 seconds the bluray will start normally. I just don't know if its running in deep color or not, since the TV / OPPO isn't showing that information on the display information panel. I think that noisy screen is an indication that the HDMI handshake failed, but I am not sure. Can someone help me out with that?

Thanks.
post #3072 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Liked: 15
[quote=simps1982;21863891]I just got a 60NX725 (Brazil). I calibrated it and then saturated the colors a little bit (personal preference). Even with tv's backlit set to MAX the blacks and whites are solid. I am using Audioquest Forest HDMI cables. Pictures taken with TV's backlit set to MAX.

Do you mind sharing your settings?
post #3073 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by simps1982 View Post

I think everything worked out ok, I have only one question. Its about the deep color (36bits) setting. The oppo 93 can output deep color (36bits). Can the NX720 accept 36bits color? When I set the oppo to output deep color (36bits), the NX720 produces a noisy screen for 5 seconds or so (similar to old antenna noise, when you have no channel tunned yet on your tv tunner), and after those 5 seconds the bluray will start normally. I just don't know if its running in deep color or not, since the TV / OPPO isn't showing that information on the display information panel. I think that noisy screen is an indication that the HDMI handshake failed, but I am not sure. Can someone help me out with that?

I can't answer that directly but I can say that the issue is probably moot, for two reasons:

1) There is no deep-color media. Deep-color is not part of the bluray spec, so no bluray is going to have deep-color video any time soon. I don't think we are going to see any actual deep-color video until the next-generation of game consoles, those games might make use of it since they aren't constrained by a set of standards like bluray video is.

2) Most LCDs can't even do the full 24-bit color gamut. I don't think there are any LCDs that can do the full 36-bit color gamut. So even if you had a deep-color video source and the Sony did accept it, chances are it wouldn't make a visible difference.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #3074 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 05:08 PM

[quote=rajivr;21864010]
Quote:

I just got a 60NX725 (Brazil). I calibrated it and then saturated the colors a little bit (personal preference). Even with tv's backlit set to MAX the blacks and whites are solid. I am using Audioquest Forest HDMI cables. Pictures taken with TV's backlit set to MAX.

Do you mind sharing your settings?

Sure.
This is what I used when I took those pics (and its what I am using now):

-----------------------------

--Eco menu--
Power Saving: Off
Light Sensor: Off

--Scene Select menu--
General

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Backlight: Max
Picture: Max
Brightness: 43
Color: 63
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 38
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot noise reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Off

-Advanced Settings submenu-
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: 0
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Low
Live Color: Low
White Balance: Default
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: Off

-----------------------------

When I first calibrated it, I had:

Backlight: 7
Picture: 95
Brightness: 44
Color: 53
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 27
White Balance: can't remember the settings, but it was really tunned...

... and everything else disabled (live color, clear white, motion flow, etc), except for LED Dynamic Control: Standard.

I didn't like the calibrated result very much, so I started to change things till I ended up with the settings I posted for you here.

[]'s
Simps
post #3075 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

I can't answer that directly but I can say that the issue is probably moot, for two reasons:

1) There is no deep-color media. Deep-color is not part of the bluray spec, so no bluray is going to have deep-color video any time soon. I don't think we are going to see any actual deep-color video until the next-generation of game consoles, those games might make use of it since they aren't constrained by a set of standards like bluray video is.

2) Most LCDs can't even do the full 24-bit color gamut. I don't think there are any LCDs that can do the full 36-bit color gamut. So even if you had a deep-color video source and the Sony did accept it, chances are it wouldn't make a visible difference.

Thanks for the info.
post #3076 of 3430 Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgsxr1000 View Post

Thanks for the info and input, Sony responded pretty quickly and they are looking for a new replacement set. I will be using this one till they find a new one or a better model unit if they are out of the NX models. Just wish there QC was better like the good old tube days when XBRs lasted for 20 years. LOL
post #3077 of 3430 Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Thanks for the info and input, Sony responded pretty quickly and they are looking for a new replacement set. I will be using this one till they find a new one or a better model unit if they are out of the NX models. Just wish there QC was better like the good old tube days when XBRs lasted for 20 years. LOL

Yeah...it looks like the 60 inch NX720s are starting to dry up. They no longer offer them as SXRD replacements and they aren't included in the new model year's line-up.
post #3078 of 3430 Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 AM

These are some good settings!! Thanks!
post #3079 of 3430 Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:

BLACK / WHITE

Sorry for jumping in here, but I believe this set turns OFF the backlight completely when it gets an unsupported signal or loss of signal. So your black level test (pix) looks great but is completely worthless for judging the uniformity of the panel... unless I'm missing something? Try a pluge pattern test.

post #3080 of 3430 Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Sorry for jumping in here, but I believe this set turns OFF the backlight completely when it gets an unsupported signal or loss of signal.

How would you see any of the "Unsupported Signal" box if there was no backlight on?
post #3081 of 3430 Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Yeah...it looks like the 60 inch NX720s are starting to dry up. They no longer offer them as SXRD replacements and they aren't included in the new model year's line-up.

Martin,

Thanks, as at this point I am requesting a XBR and or the NX810 as I have spent a boat load with Sony over the years and with 3 defective TVs in a row I am starting to loose my cool. The good news is the people over at Sony that deal with this have been very good and accommodating so far.
History: XBR1 8 months green donut, Sony replaced it with XBR2 60" made it quite a few years but the last couple I could see a gradual green donut happening again, Sony then had a replacement program. XBR2, replaced by Sony NX720 only after a week to have the line show up, so this process is starting
all over. The good news is there team that deals with these issues have been very good, so far and my hats go off to them.

Question: What would be a similar replacement or a slightly better one then this set if it isn't available?

Thanks
post #3082 of 3430 Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
dtc

I am trying to use the Internet browser to watch some videos from the Masters website and it says I need to install Adobe Flash, but the Adobe site says it cannot install Flash on this device. Am I out of luck or did I just miss something? Any suggestions?
post #3083 of 3430 Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyDen View Post

Sorry for jumping in here, but I believe this set turns OFF the backlight completely when it gets an unsupported signal or loss of signal. So your black level test (pix) looks great but is completely worthless for judging the uniformity of the panel... unless I'm missing something? Try a pluge pattern test.

Do I save this picture on top my laptop and connect the laptop to the TV? Is that how you do it? Where do I get a good resolution picture of this?
post #3084 of 3430 Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc View Post

I am trying to use the Internet browser to watch some videos from the Masters website and it says I need to install Adobe Flash, but the Adobe site says it cannot install Flash on this device. Am I out of luck or did I just miss something? Any suggestions?

The Sony is not flash compatible.

You can only view text based sites.

Aaron
post #3085 of 3430 Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

The Sony is not flash compatible.

You can only view text based sites.

Aaron

Thanks. That is what I thought, but I wanted to check. I have the Masters hooked up through a PC to my projector instead.
post #3086 of 3430 Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM

How can I change my widgets so they can be arranged as snippets at the top of my screen?
When I hit the widgets button it shrinks my picture and moves it to the left and shows the widgets on the right. (only one widget at a time).
I've seen shots where the picture is full and the widgets are overlaid on top.
Pressing Options doesn't do anything while widgets are up.
post #3087 of 3430 Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Can anyone tell me what this is? Crease problem or just bad bank of LEDs? 1 week from me opening the box and this is what I see. Plus this was a replacement for my XBR2, I just hope Sony does the right thing and gives me one that works properly as I do like the picture quality.

yes sony will definitely replace that set for you. Looks like a row of dead pixels, since there are so many of them you should have no problem getting it replaced. Just call sony up and good luck!
post #3088 of 3430 Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:

I had that same exact problem. I had Sony repair come out and swap out the power supply, and it didnt solve anything. I think it has to do with some voltage fluctuation from the electrical main, and unfortunately there's nothing you can really do about it.
post #3089 of 3430 Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh :-| View Post

I had that same exact problem. I had Sony repair come out and swap out the power supply, and it didnt solve anything. I think it has to do with some voltage fluctuation from the electrical main, and unfortunately there's nothing you can really do about it.

Have you also tried disconnecting all inputs and outputs from the TV and seeing if the buzzing persists?

Have you tried a power conditioner?
post #3090 of 3430 Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 AM

Hey all,

Does anyone have the soundbar for this tv?
I got the soundbar at the same time as my tv, but the sound just seems off..

My previous Sony tv, the 46Z4500, had excellent sound.
Though the sound of the NX720, even with the soundbar, just doesn't sound too well.

I got a bit used to the sound, but if it can sound even better then.. why not?

Anyone knowledgeable on the subject?

Thanks again!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page