Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3432 Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just curious if anyone has had LED issues failing on these sets? I got this as a replacement and I am on my second one and now Sony wants me to take pictures of this one and my event number and send it in. I feel like I am in the movie Ground Hog Day!

1.) XBR1 replaced 3 months into using it Optical Block issue. Repaired 2
times and failed twice.

2.) XBR2: Was used as a replacement, it took several years and an extended
Warr but then it green donut issue showed up again.

3.) Replacement Program process started and a KDL60NX720 was purchased
at a nominal fee. TV showed up and problems with LEDs.

4.) Replacement for Replacement shows up another KDL60NX720, LEDs
intermittently showing issues of going out.

Now the Sony people that have been dealing with the replacement(s) have been good, but now I am to the point they should cough up a decent TV for all the time and money I have spent dealing with this BS. When I mean a decent TV a 65" 929! Why should I have to pay for an extended Warr, as I am not confident that they can make TV that works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3432 Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I feel like you. Bought 60 XBR1. Fixed twice. Then actually got my money back. $5k. Bought XBR2 for $3k. Fixed twice. Bought 60nx720 for $1500 which was not nominal. Replaced first one for cloud issue. Can Sony make a tv without problems? But the question I keep asking. What else could I buy? I am happy at the moment. But knowing Sony it will develop something.
post #3153 of 3432 Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan00 View Post

My TV just started rebooting today too. Never happened before. Wife was watching some DLNA videos.

Curious is anyone was using the network features when their TV rebooted?

I've had 5-10 reboots over the last couple of months, my TV is used 100% for DLNA playback, I don't have any channels programmed or even an antenna connected. I've had reboots both before and after the latest firmware upgrade. It is rare for a reboot to occur in the middle of playback, usually I am skipping forward in the video although there have been a couple where it rebooted at the start of playing a video.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #3154 of 3432 Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by krause28 View Post

I feel like you. Bought 60 XBR1. Fixed twice. Then actually got my money back. $5k. Bought XBR2 for $3k. Fixed twice. Bought 60nx720 for $1500 which was not nominal. Replaced first one for cloud issue. Can Sony make a tv without problems? But the question I keep asking. What else could I buy? I am happy at the moment. But knowing Sony it will develop something.

Wow, another painful scenario! But just about everything out there has some type of issue. Ironically I bought a inexpensive Visio for our Lake House and so far that isn't bad, not a superior picture but decent. Samsung issues with caps blowing and the list goes on.

I went this route:

5K for the XBR1 >>Free XBR2 replacement, then $1200 bucks for KDL60NX720, still over 6K dished out and not a decent working TV after all these years. I bought XBRs over many years, and my buddy still has my CRT XBR that is still running strong since 1995.

krause28: The XBR2 had a amazing picture when it worked correctly, with no green hue that is... Too bad some one didn't figure out how to make the optical blocks last longer, before they turned everything green.
post #3155 of 3432 Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

I've had 5-10 reboots over the last couple of months, my TV is used 100% for DLNA playback, I don't have any channels programmed or even an antenna connected. I've had reboots both before and after the latest firmware upgrade. It is rare for a reboot to occur in the middle of playback, usually I am skipping forward in the video although there have been a couple where it rebooted at the start of playing a video.

Interesting. Are you using wired or wireless?
post #3156 of 3432 Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowledgeSeeker View Post

Try this. Play a 3D Blu-Ray, find a scene with lots of ghosting, then Pause it. Then in Options, Scene Select, change to Game-Standard. Then in Options, Picture Adjustments, Advanced Settings, change i/p Conversion Preference to Speed. This worked well for me and you can then toggle between Scene Select options to see the difference.

In another post there was a link where Sony recommends in the Options, 3D Menu to change the Glasses Brigtness to Medium or Low. The polarizer filters Sony will send you are apparently only good for reducing ghosting during head tilts. I haven't ordered those yet, but probably will.

I tried those settings and they didn't work for me.

Man, I'm glad I have my Optoma HD33 3D projector to fall back on. The 3D on that is flawless with no flicker or ghosting at all. While the 3D on the Sony works reasonably well and is nice and bright (and clear), the ghosting issue is sort of a deal breaker.

Chris Blount
post #3157 of 3432 Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post

I tried those settings and they didn't work for me.

Man, I'm glad I have my Optoma HD33 3D projector to fall back on. The 3D on that is flawless with no flicker or ghosting at all. While the 3D on the Sony works reasonably well and is nice and bright (and clear), the ghosting issue is sort of a deal breaker.

Interesting. I agree the Sony will never be flawless, and its good to hear there are things out there that are, since I always thought 3D is still a work in progress. What glasses and what 3D Blu-Ray movies do you use on both the Sony and Optoma?
post #3158 of 3432 Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Wow, another painful scenario! But just about everything out there has some type of issue. Ironically I bought a inexpensive Visio for our Lake House and so far that isn't bad, not a superior picture but decent. Samsung issues with caps blowing and the list goes on.

I went this route:

5K for the XBR1 >>Free XBR2 replacement, then $1200 bucks for KDL60NX720, still over 6K dished out and not a decent working TV after all these years. I bought XBRs over many years, and my buddy still has my CRT XBR that is still running strong since 1995.

krause28: The XBR2 had a amazing picture when it worked correctly, with no green hue that is... Too bad some one didn't figure out how to make the optical blocks last longer, before they turned everything green.

I agree with you on the XBR2. I actually think the picture was better than my NX720. I am thinking about fixing it. We use it for gaming. But it is horrible all green. It takes 3 months to send the optical block to be fixed and $300.
post #3159 of 3432 Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

With a little more testing I definitely see some crosstalk still. When Hugo is following the man home and looks up at the statues you can see some ghosting along the edges of them as they pan.

But I'd still say your settings are a definite improvement so thanks for the advice.

Oh and I found the option for the glasses brightness. Odd that it shows up when you enter the menu via the options button and NOT when you enter through the main menu.

I agree, the Speed setting definitely reduces crosstalk, but you'll still see some. And different movies have more than others. I've also found that even within the same movie, there will be perfect scenes with no crosstalk and other scenes with crosstalk, so I'm not sure why that is. Most of the crosstalk I see tends to occur on the outer fringes of the main action, sort of like looking at a portrait photograph where the background is blurred for effect. When I concentrate on the in-focus main action I don't notice the out of action crosstalk as much. Although I would prefer to have no crosstalk for a whole movie, I can even remember seeing it when I saw Avatar at an Imax theater. Another thing you can try is to play around with the Depth settings in the 3D menu to see if that helps. At first I thought +1 helped for me, but I'm not sure it works for all scenes. Another interesting thing I read over in the Sony S790 blu-ray thread is that unit may actually help 3D on 120hz TVs, but until someone tests it I guess the jury is still out.
post #3160 of 3432 Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krause28 View Post

I agree with you on the XBR2. I actually think the picture was better than my NX720. I am thinking about fixing it. We use it for gaming. But it is horrible all green. It takes 3 months to send the optical block to be fixed and $300.

It is only $300 to fix the OB?

Damn! If I had known that I would have kept my A3000.
post #3161 of 3432 Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone wanna share their picture mode settings for games?
It's too hard to see when playing in dark levels..
post #3162 of 3432 Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownUser View Post

Anyone wanna share their picture mode settings for games?
It's too hard to see when playing in dark levels..

I run my 360 with game mode...everything off (including black corrector) and my backlight between 1-3 and brightness around 50. I played all of Dead Space 2 on my NX720 with no issues. But then I'm pretty sure it had a gamma adjustment at the beginning. Most games do.
post #3163 of 3432 Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 16
What do the CineMotion settings do? What is the difference between Off, Auto1 and Auto2?
post #3164 of 3432 Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

What do the CineMotion settings do? What is the difference between Off, Auto1 and Auto2?

Sorry i think i found my answer on this. Sounds like Auto 2 or off is the best bet for a non choppy viewing experience.

Does anyone know if its okay to update to the most recent firmware? I read there was some issues with restarts?
post #3165 of 3432 Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if its okay to update to the most recent firmware? I read there was some issues with restarts?

I'd avoid it. I havn't noticed a single improvement and stability seems to be worse.
post #3166 of 3432 Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

I have been getting this "Content Error" which pops up and interrupts Netflix programs. I tried updating the firmware but the problem continues. I did a search this forum for this and saw one post where the guy replaced his wireless router but it did not help.

Anybody else having this problem? Is there a fix?

Following up.

This problem seems to have resolved itself. I'm assuming either Sony fixed their network or they sent out a software update that fixed it. Either way, Thanks Sony.
post #3167 of 3432 Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Sorry i think i found my answer on this. Sounds like Auto 2 or off is the best bet for a non choppy viewing experience.

I don't see why not. I have auto update turned on (I believe that's what the afore mentioned rebooting was all about. After an update it has to reboot ) and am not currently having any problems.
post #3168 of 3432 Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Hi All,

New 60NX720 owner here thanks to Sony's replacement program.

I unboxed the TV and have been playing around with it for a few days. I have 2 questions, and yes, I did searches:

1. It seems like there are 3 power switches. One on the rt side, one on the front bottom left, and there is the "Power Saving" toggle. I cant turn on the TV via remote when the power saving is off. Is this normal or supposed to be this way? What does the power saving toggle switch do? Are you supposed to be able to press the button on the bottom left of the tv screen and use that cause it doesnt work for me.

2. No problems connecting to my WiFi network, even though when the tv is in its final resting place and mounted it will be on a wired connection. After reading some recent posts it appears there was a new firmware update. Is it safe to upgrade to this? On Wireless? My TV was made in Oct. 2011 and I have a feeling thee were a few upgrades since then.

Thanks
post #3169 of 3432 Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadin19 View Post

Hi All,

New 60NX720 owner here thanks to Sony's replacement program.

I unboxed the TV and have been playing around with it for a few days. I have 2 questions, and yes, I did searches:

1. It seems like there are 3 power switches. One on the rt side, one on the front bottom left, and there is the "Power Saving" toggle. I cant turn on the TV via remote when the power saving is off. Is this normal or supposed to be this way? What does the power saving toggle switch do? Are you supposed to be able to press the button on the bottom left of the tv screen and use that cause it doesnt work for me.

2. No problems connecting to my WiFi network, even though when the tv is in its final resting place and mounted it will be on a wired connection. After reading some recent posts it appears there was a new firmware update. Is it safe to upgrade to this? On Wireless? My TV was made in Oct. 2011 and I have a feeling thee were a few upgrades since then.

Thanks

I am also wondering about the firmware update. Waiting to see a few more responses if anyone else has updated and resolved their issues.

Has anyone had a positive experience with noise reduction when watch cable through an HD box? Some of my shows/channels you can see some noise/grain on darker images such as black shirts. Im pretty positive its the cable box because my Blu-Ray player and netflix do not show this issue. It could also be because I am in an apartment and the cables have been split all over the building... sigh... Right now I have all the noise stuff turned off.

I will post my settings later on. Overall very happy with this TV.
post #3170 of 3432 Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM

Here is a silly question folks...where is the build date for the NX720 located? I am assuming its probably printed on a little sticker on the back of the set. The problem is for me that I was SO excited when my TV showed up that I had it mounted up above my fireplace right away.
You can get the serial number from the on-screen menus but not the build date.

Also to chime in - I updated my TV to the latest firmware the instant I got it up on the wall and I have not experienced the random reboot (knock on wood). I have the 55NX720.
post #3171 of 3432 Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfugrip12 View Post

Here is a silly question folks...where is the build date for the NX720 located? I am assuming its probably printed on a little sticker on the back of the set. The problem is for me that I was SO excited when my TV showed up that I had it mounted up above my fireplace right away.
You can get the serial number from the on-screen menus but not the build date.

Also to chime in - I updated my TV to the latest firmware the instant I got it up on the wall and I have not experienced the random reboot (knock on wood). I have the 55NX720.

Sounds like you will have to unmount it if you want to take a look. As far as I know thats the only way. Not even the box has it on there.

Do you mind posting your settings for Cable/Satelite and BluRay watching? I will post mine later today but still always tweaking.
post #3172 of 3432 Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you will have to unmount it if you want to take a look. As far as I know thats the only way. Not even the box has it on there.

Do you mind posting your settings for Cable/Satelite and BluRay watching? I will post mine later today but still always tweaking.

I used some of the settings posted earlier in this thread (from cnet I think) - I "should" use separate settings for Cable box vs blu ray vs video games but I don't. I'll post what I have later tonight. Its all around good for me though.
post #3173 of 3432 Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Here are my current settings. Still going back and forth on some settings though. Will revise this if I change something.

Comcast HD Cable Box, Scene Select: General

--Picture Adjustments menu--
Setting Memory: [Current]
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 8
Picture: 90
Brightness: 50
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off*
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off*
Dot noise reduction: Off*
Motionflow: Standard
CineMotion: Auto-2

-Advanced Settings submenu-
Black Corrector: Medium
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Medium
Gamma: 0
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Low
White Balance: [default]
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: Medium
Skin Naturalizer: Off [grayed out]
i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

Blu-Ray Player, Scene Select: General

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 6
Color: 60
Color Temperature: Warm 1
Sharpness: 40
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot noise reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Off

Black Corrector: Medium
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Live Color: Low
White Balance: [Default]
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: Low
i/p Conversion Preference: Quality [grayed out]

Xbox 360, Scene Select:Game

Picture Mode: Game-Standard
Backlight: 6
Color: 50
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot noise reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
CineMotion: Off

Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Live Color: Off
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Low(less blurry)
i/p Conversion Preference: Speed

*Not sure if these have any benefit when watching through the Comcast box yet.
post #3174 of 3432 Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 AM

It looks like all the noise reduction stuff does is make for a blurrier image, even on cable. I sit close enough to my 55nx720 to tell the difference. Unfortunately I also see noise sometimes when watching my junk cable box.

I do believe that Sony hit it on the head with this TV but they need to step up their GUI in the menu. Samsung and LG are light years ahead of Sony when it comes to the Menu. Unfortunately Samsung's great pic quality couldnt outweigh the viewing angle and flashlighting issues.
post #3175 of 3432 Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM

Hello all, just joining the thread. Picked up a new 46NX720 from Tiger Direct, 999$ and it included a Sony S480 BluRay player so I couldn't pass it up.

I have been reading through the thread and am looking forward to digging into this unit. I do have concerns though, I have been reading elsewhere and hearing about a high than I would have expected failure rate for Sony. Have any of you experienced high failure rates with LCD/LED tv's?

I ask because this is my first LCD/LED tv. I have always had(still do) projectors. Now that we have little ones we needed to add another unit that was a bit more child friendly.
post #3176 of 3432 Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM

Hi All,

Sorry if I sound impatient, but I wanted to see if someone could chime in on my 2 questions I posted earlier, one about why there are 3 "power buttons," and the other concerning the latest firmware update.
post #3177 of 3432 Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM

Toggle switch is 'power saving mode', you must turn it on to use front or remote buttonS, lowers power consumption by shutting down ALL power use by tv when toggled off.
Firmware updates I have no clue other than my set operates normally as far as I can tell since latest update.
post #3178 of 3432 Old 04-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedclampit View Post

Toggle switch is 'power saving mode', you must turn it on to use front or remote buttonS, lowers power consumption by shutting down ALL power use by tv when toggled off.
Firmware updates I have no clue other than my set operates normally as far as I can tell since latest update.

Same here. No issues after updating 3 days ago. Knock on wood. Anyone have suggestions on a good 3D Sony blu ray player? I want to match brands up because I am anal about that kind of thing. If I had an LG tv id want and LG blu ray haha
post #3179 of 3432 Old 04-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Liked: 13
780, or soon to be released 790.
post #3180 of 3432 Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 PM

U guys notice the menu doesnt seem as high a resolution as other sony menus? Like the words arent 1080p clear.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page