Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3431 Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a new Firmware update last night...

Edit: Version is PKG4.005AAA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3431 Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan00 View Post

Got a new Firmware update last night...

I got it this morning. I didn't check the version, though. Sony site lists 3/29 as last firmware, so I have no idea what this one added/changed.
Anyone?
post #3213 of 3431 Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

I got it this morning. I didn't check the version, though. Sony site lists 3/29 as last firmware, so I have no idea what this one added/changed.
Anyone?

No idea what it does but I got it this morning as well.
post #3214 of 3431 Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

No idea what it does but I got it this morning as well.

I got the message as well but I am not updating until someone in this thread comments on firmware or sony gives release notes.
post #3215 of 3431 Old 05-17-2012, 04:39 AM

I got it Tuesday evening and I see no difference
post #3216 of 3431 Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfugrip12 View Post

I got the message as well but I am not updating until someone in this thread comments on firmware or sony gives release notes.

FYI.
Changelog for the european version (PKG4.005EUA) :
"This software includes the improvement for TV performance during 1080i / 1080p transitions."
post #3217 of 3431 Old 05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just got the update too. No noticeable difference.
post #3218 of 3431 Old 05-18-2012, 07:27 PM

I have the 55EX720, and have experienced a problem when playing music videos from a Denon DVD. I played these same videos from the same machine to my prior 40" Bravia which is approximately 5-6 years old. When a performer on the stage has a blue light shining off his skin the appearance is that the color is painted on the skin. I would guess this is an upsampling issue, but may just be a color adjustment. I have turned the color down and the blue down in the advanced settings but no improvement. Is there a picture adjustment I can make (or turn off a filter) that will get rid of this problem? Thanks.
post #3219 of 3431 Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
This new firmware has reduced crashes during DLNA playback. Over the last week or so my tv had started crashing within 3 minutes of starting almost any DLNA playback. After installing the upgrade I've watched 6+ shows via DLNA and have had no crashes.

Maybe the crashes going away is a conincidence since I am only a sample size of one, but I am not complaining.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #3220 of 3431 Old 05-20-2012, 07:37 AM

I had a 60NX720 for a few months and thought one would look nice in the bedroom too, so I bought the 46NX720. Great TV's.
My question is: I found the sleeptimer after going thru 3 or 4 menus. Is there a short cut to the sleeptimer on the remote? I use it every night in the bedroom.

Thanks John
post #3221 of 3431 Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarnell View Post

I had a 60NX720 for a few months and thought one would look nice in the bedroom too, so I bought the 46NX720. Great TV's.
My question is: I found the sleeptimer after going thru 3 or 4 menus. Is there a short cut to the sleeptimer on the remote? I use it every night in the bedroom.

Thanks John

I know this doesn't answer your question, but maybe just set it to auto? I have mine on auto for 2 hours, best feature ever. I can fall asleep and not wake up to a blaring TV. My only complaint is that i use a tivo, so unless I adjust volume, the Tv isn't "receiving" any input from the remote so it will shut off it I don't hit volume on my Tivo remote.
post #3222 of 3431 Old 05-25-2012, 03:47 AM

Thanks I'll give that a try.
post #3223 of 3431 Old 05-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FROM SONY.com

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Television's software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.005AAA) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG4.003AAA:

■Improved performance and stability of the Internet features
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.005AAA:

■Adds the ability to use the Skype® online calling service
■Adds the "What's New" feature
■Media Remote (Software keyboard, Full / Simple Remote and Shake Track ID)
■VAIO® Remote Keyboard
■Media Remote (text by voice)
■Audio Theatre Control Widget
■WMV/WMA Codec for DLNA / USB
■Adds the capability for 3D via USB (3D models only and requires 3D active glasses)
Note: Allows you to view your Bloggie® 3D camera content when connected through the USB port on your TV
■Improves performance and stability of IPTV (Internet Protocol TV) features
Note: IPTV allows you to enjoy HD (High Definition) programming from the Internet on your BRAVIA television that is connected to a broadband Internet connection
post #3224 of 3431 Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM

Not sure if this was corrected by the lastest firmware or not. Issue could not get the NX720 to stay locked on to external speakers when I was using antennna input to set. It kept reverting back to TV speakers. Played around after upgrade and finally got it to stick. Did change the the "control Mode" on my reveiver to "all" from the default of "PQLS".
All is right with the world now....
post #3225 of 3431 Old 05-29-2012, 05:24 AM

Well I have already had the TV crash/power itself off using pandora, and none of the settings using the sensor camera are available and say "camera error". Can't say if skype is still crahsing, my wife has pretty much written it off as broken and uses the laptop instead.

Love this TV but the software is driving me nuts.
post #3226 of 3431 Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Well I have already had the TV crash/power itself off using pandora, and none of the settings using the sensor camera are available and say "camera error". Can't say if skype is still crahsing, my wife has pretty much written it off as broken and uses the laptop instead.

Love this TV but the software is driving me nuts.

Have you tried to do a factory reset?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3227 of 3431 Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

Have you tried to do a factory reset?

Yes, nothing works. I have also tried switching from wireless to the wired connection hoping for better results.
post #3228 of 3431 Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

Yes, nothing works. I have also tried switching from wireless to the wired connection hoping for better results.

I just noticed this camera error myself. Turn off the TV with the remote. Then on the right side of the TV, locate the physical power switch and turn it off. Wait 1 minute, turn the switch ON located on the right side of the TV. Press power on from the remote. The camera should now work.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3229 of 3431 Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

I just noticed this camera error myself. Turn off the TV with the remote. Then on the right side of the TV, locate the physical power switch and turn it off. Wait 1 minute, turn the switch ON located on the right side of the TV. Press power on from the remote. The camera should now work.

Good luck!

Funny I just did that last night. I really don't use the built in camera so its not a big deal. It's just weird that things you don't even use 'break' or get into a bad state. It's more a comment on the instability of the software. Other than the issues above, another thing I have been fighting is the the wireless will just refuse to connect even though all settings are correct. (Technically it says its connected fine, just that internet is inaccessble). The correction is to go through the setup procedure again, just hitting "next" each time and keeping the existing settings. Voila it works again. Hopefully my switch to wired mode will avoid this issue.

Individually none of these bugs are deal breakers, but when they are all all summed up, it makes for a frustrating owner experience. It's really suprising to see so many glaring errors (after the TV has been out for a year) from a company as large and respected as Sony. On the plus side, we are still seeing updates. On the minus side, they don't seem to be really fixing any of the issue I have (yes I have been contacting support to report them).

/rant
post #3230 of 3431 Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 AM

am I missing something here !!

The "built in" camera sensor does not give you access to Skype !

You need a Sony accessory usb camera to use Skype.

Hope I am not misunderstanding the issue.
post #3231 of 3431 Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 AM

You are correct, you need the Sony CMU-BR100 camera connected to the TV's USB port. I was not trying to use the built in TV camera for Skype if that is what you read it as.
post #3232 of 3431 Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 PM

I just picked up this TV. There are a couple things I don't like about it, but over all, seems like a pretty nice piece of kit, and the price was right.

I basically only use my TV to view my HTPC, which is just a computer I have set up running windows 7 on an i3, with integrated graphics going HDMI out to an Oynko TX NR609 receiver.

I then have the HDMI out of the Oynko going to my Sony NX720, in the HDMI 1 port.

So, when I have my new sony set to antenna or cable or whatever, the picture looks pretty good, just out of the box. Colors are pretty poppy, contrast is nice, etc. But, when I switch over to HDMI 1 and view my computer, the colors are wayyy out of wack. everything looks anemic, whites are muted and yellow, blacks are not black, and everything just looks washed out.

In the picture setup menu, for HDMI 1, the option to set the 'scene mode' or whatever is greyed out. It basically only will take custom settings. So, I searched for what properly calibrated custom settings would be, but the best I could find was the ones posted on CNET, and I guess this thread - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1394570/official-sony-nx720-settings-calibrations-thread - which yield better results, but still seems off.

I feel like something is wrong, and it has to do with either my HTPC signal passing through my receiver (it's set to just pass through the signal though), or something about hooking a PC up to the HDMI input of the NX720. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, I bought this TV since it was advertised as a 120hz display. In my windows 7 display settings though, the highest display mode that is listed is 60hz? mad.gif please someone tell me that it's just my receiver ****ing things up, and you can set display to 120hz...
post #3233 of 3431 Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 AM

The colors are normal, not likely anything to do with your setup. It took me a long time to get settings right for me, and they are nothing like the 'calibrated' settings others use. The odd part of the TV menu is that settings on other pages will alter the available display options under picture. I think you made need to toggle --Home Menu>Settings>Preferences-- Scene Select menu-- setting to somethign else. In my experience, muted whites are usually caused by the warmth settings for color temps. Try a cooler shade and then play with other settings for color saturation to get other levels right. Also note the default settings are saved different for each input, so switching input will change the color settings (you can disable this, setting the mode to common).

The TV does not display 120Hz, its has "motion flow 240 processing"
post #3234 of 3431 Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindphlux View Post

... So, when I have my new sony set to antenna or cable or whatever, the picture looks pretty good, just out of the box. Colors are pretty poppy, contrast is nice, etc. But, when I switch over to HDMI 1 and view my computer, the colors are wayyy out of wack. everything looks anemic, whites are muted and yellow, blacks are not black, and everything just looks washed out...

I received the 46NX723 incl. sound bar last week, as you say, the price was right smile.gif

I too have a HTPC (ASRock mobo, i5) connected (HDMI3) and do not have your problems. I did however start by using custom settings on the PC's Graphic Control Panel so the standard (Sony) settings would give me similar results on TV and HDMI. Once that was done, I started optimising via the TV settings.

Also, have you tried to hook up the PC directly to establish whether the receiver actually is the culprit?

I actually like this set a lot, the 2D performance is great, HD content is just amazing on this set and the black levels are next to none. After having read a few reviews and reading through this thread, I didn't expect anything from the 3D performance but I was positively surprised.
I am using the BR250 glasses and the picture is bright, crystal clear with superb 3D effects. The big crosstalk issues seem to be related to the source material rather the set itself, the online content renders perfectly, so does Avatar whereas Hugo had some passages that were almost unwatchable, the same passages had issues on a friend's Samsung.
I think that any active system will expose a certain level of crosstalk, a small tradeoff for the interlacing you see on passive systems which would bug me more.
post #3235 of 3431 Old 06-09-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Also, I bought this TV since it was advertised as a 120hz display. In my windows 7 display settings though, the highest display mode that is listed is 60hz? mad.gif please someone tell me that it's just my receiver ****ing things up, and you can set display to 120hz...

Read the instruction manual, PC section.

It tells you what resolution is available on the PC input along with the HDMI input.
post #3236 of 3431 Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM

120/240 hz tvs do not accept 120 hz signals. They accept 24/60hz signals and display them at 120/240 hz by adding or repeating frames.

Regarding the washed out colors, go to the control
panel for your graphics card and toggle between ycbcr and RGB mode and see if that makes a difference.

No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!
post #3237 of 3431 Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Long time follower, very thankful for all the contributors that make this place great.

Have the 60" NX720 and absolutely love it but I have a couple questions. First, I have been told that I should not install the firmware updates unless I have an issue with the tv, is this accurate?

Second, I have tinkered with the settings using many of the configurations on page 58 of this thread, however does anyone feel like they have the ideal setting for sports? Mainly football and basketball. I know many of you adjust setting to tailor to movies, just wondering if anyone absolutely loves their
sports settings.

My provider is DirecTv.

Thanks in advance for the help!
post #3238 of 3431 Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 AM

wow. I can't believe a TV could legally be marketed as 120hz, and not be able to display 120hz. My computer monitor (samsung 2233rz) does 120hz, and I bought it specifically because of this, and it's amazingly fluid when playing high FPS content. I guess I should have known when I was seeing TVs advertised as 240 and 480hz that something was up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan00 View Post

The colors are normal, not likely anything to do with your setup. It took me a long time to get settings right for me, and they are nothing like the 'calibrated' settings others use. The odd part of the TV menu is that settings on other pages will alter the available display options under picture. I think you made need to toggle --Home Menu>Settings>Preferences-- Scene Select menu-- setting to somethign else. In my experience, muted whites are usually caused by the warmth settings for color temps. Try a cooler shade and then play with other settings for color saturation to get other levels right. Also note the default settings are saved different for each input, so switching input will change the color settings (you can disable this, setting the mode to common).
The TV does not display 120Hz, its has "motion flow 240 processing"

Thanks, I somehow missed the scene select thing, and how much it was impacting my picture. It was set to 'auto' - I set it to Standard, and everything looks much more normal now. I went through the windows 7 display calibration tool, and while I think my config could be better, it's at least not looking horrible any more.
post #3239 of 3431 Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:

wow. I can't believe a TV could legally be marketed as 120hz, and not be able to display 120hz. My computer monitor (samsung 2233rz) does 120hz, and I bought it specifically because of this, and it's amazingly fluid when playing high FPS content. I guess I should have known when I was seeing TVs advertised as 240 and 480hz that something was up.

My guess on this would be that large screen TV's manufacturers are presuming that people will be connecting them to AV equipment such as cable boxes, blu-ray players, etc. which do not output those refresh rates. For AV gear its all 23/24, 29/30, 59/60 Hz. Your monitor was designed specifically for use with at computer, thus the need to accept 120 Hz.

Additionally, all of the movie/TV source material on your computer will also be native at the 23/24, 29/30 and 59/60 frame rates so even if the TV did accept 120 HZ and you set your PC to 120 Hz, it simply be that the PC was adding the frames instead of the TV. At the end of the day its the same viewing experience. You're not missing any frames as there is no 120 Hz source material.

Only difference might be games. I'm not a gamer but maybe there are some at very high native frames rates. Not sure on that one.

No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!
post #3240 of 3431 Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 AM

I am a gamer, and it makes a huge, huge difference. It makes a difference even just in windows - as stuff like cursor motion / window rendering is output at 120hz - but with that, I wouldn't expect the average person to notice. I just do because I'm at my computer 75% of waking hours. In games though, really big difference if you have a graphics card that can keep up.

I don't really play games on my TV, so it's not the end of the world, I'm just ****ing pissed off at the false advertising. I really thought I was going to get a 120hz screen.

edit : also, thought of another aspect where it would make a difference - NVIDIA at least does '3d' rendering for games, where you buy glasses which are synced to your screen. only works at 120hz (60hz per eye) - and this won't work if the TV won't output 120. damnit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page