Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #541 of 3438 Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
although it is a bit overkill unless you have a 100 Meg connection.

But if the money is not an issue it is fairly future proof.

And pretty much any N router will have WPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3438 Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboosted View Post

although it is a bit overkill unless you have a 100 Meg connection.

But if the money is not an issue it is fairly future proof.

And pretty much any N router will have WPS.

Thanks! I'll go take a look at some wireless n routers tomorrow that have WPS. I do have fiber optic coming in to my building, but it is limited to 20 megs for the end user. I use the TVs (old desktop hooked to the other Grand Wega kdf-55wf655) for streaming Netflix, DI.fm, Pandora and my work laptop for work related stuff/VPN. So far, wireless-g has been just fine for all of the above.
post #543 of 3438 Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok, I have read almost this entire forum and I need some feedback. The more I am replacing my SXRD KDS-R60XBR2 soon. I have my TV choices down to a few including the Samsung UN-60D7000 LED and the KDL60NX720. Has anyone seen both together? Obviously, I am in a Sony NX720 forum, so can you tell me what the Sony does better and/or worse than the Samsung? I will not be gaming too much, nor watching too much 3D, either. Is there any major picture quality sacrifices for the NX series versus Sony's higher end LCD's?
post #544 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM

NX720 owners... can anyone confirm that you can turn off overscan in the menu. I think it's called "full pixel" in the menu. Has anyone actually seen this in the menu?
post #545 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 AM

You must be tuned to a 1080 source.
Then you will see the full pixel option.
post #546 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snash22 View Post

You must be tuned to a 1080 source.
Then you will see the full pixel option.

So when playing xbox 360 and ps3 games and watching Blu-rays you can turn off overscan...? What about regular DVDs?
post #547 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Get an upscaling DVD player or watch DVDs through your BluRay player already upscaled and then yes.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #548 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Get an upscaling DVD player or watch DVDs through your BluRay player already upscaled and then yes.

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. I watch DVDs on one of my Blu-ray players. Tomorrow I'm going to either buy the NX720 60" or the HX920 55".
So far it's leaning towards the NX720.
post #549 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookhouseBoy77 View Post

So when playing xbox 360 and ps3 games and watching Blu-rays you can turn off overscan...? What about regular DVDs?

The adjustment is "universal" in it that it works on the tv, irregardless of the input.

Once you turn off the overscan, it's gone until you want it back again. Some
standard def shows look better with the adjustment set to "Normal". It eliminates an additional artifact on the upper portion of your screen.

I prefer to leave it in Full Pixel all the time. BTW - All the newer Sony Bravia tv's I have seen have this adjustment in the sub-menu. I do not know why the reviewer in the CNET Asia website could not find it and thus demerit the tv.
post #550 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

The adjustment is "universal" in it that it works on the tv, irregardless of the input.

Once you turn off the overscan, it's gone until you want it back again. Some
standard def shows look better with the adjustment set to "Normal". It eliminates an additional artifact on the upper portion of your screen.

I prefer to leave it in Full Pixel all the time. BTW - All the newer Sony Bravia tv's I have seen have this adjustment in the sub-menu. I do not know why the reviewer in the CNET Asia website could not find it and thus demerit the tv.

Oh ok, thanks for the info! Well, I've done some further research and now I'm leaning towards to HX920 lol. But we'll see.
I'm worried how older TV shows on DVD will look like on NX720 60". They look fine on 55" screen. 60" might blow it up too much.
post #551 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh ok, thanks for the info! Well, I've done some further research and now I'm leaning towards to HX920 lol. But we'll see.
I'm worried how older TV shows on DVD will look like on NX720 60". They look fine on 55" screen. 60" might blow it up too much.

Some SD tv shows look ok on my 60EX700, other not so good, It all depends on garbage in-garbage out. No tv is going to make a crappy show look good.

I was amazed as how well I Love Lucy looked the other day, while change surfing, in one of those channels that only show old...
post #552 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Some SD tv shows look ok on my 60EX700, other not so good, It all depends on garbage in-garbage out. No tv is going to make a crappy show look good.

I was amazed as how well I Love Lucy looked the other day, while change surfing, in one of those channels that only show old...
Thanks again. I wil bring some DVDs of older shows to the store tomorrow. Do you think DVDs with older stuff would look better on the hx923?
post #553 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again. I wil bring some DVDs of older shows to the store tomorrow. Do you think DVDs with older stuff would look better on the hx923?
Why do't you wait and see for yourself, instead of taking the word of someone like myself that you don't even know?

Happy shopping!
post #554 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourmb View Post
...Is there any major picture quality sacrifices for the NX series versus Sony's higher end LCD's?
I just went from the A3000 SXRD to the NX720. I am underwhelmed by the NX720. It even has the green 5:00 shadow issue, the blacks turn gray with slightly off axis viewing, the variable LCD works very oddly at times, the stand does not hold the TV straight. I 'calibrated' using AVSHD.

I have a tech coming soon to assess the NX720. Perhaps mine is a lemon.
post #555 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Why do't you wait and see for yourself, instead of taking the word of someone like myself that you don't even know?

Happy shopping!
Sorry I asked.
post #556 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry I asked.
I didn't mean to sound rude. Instead I meant to awake your sense of believing in yourself, believing that you can evaluate a tv as well and probably better than anyone here. BTW, we are not experts here. We just like to talk about and help people with questions about audio/video.

BTW - I haven't even seen the hx923.

Again, let me wish you happy shopping!
post #557 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snash22 View Post
I just went from the A3000 SXRD to the NX720. I am underwhelmed by the NX720. It even has the green 5:00 shadow issue, the blacks turn gray with slightly off axis viewing, the variable LCD works very oddly at times, the stand does not hold the TV straight. I 'calibrated' using AVSHD.

I have a tech coming soon to assess the NX720. Perhaps mine is a lemon.
I just set mine up and so far I'm pleased and that is without any tweaking.

Please post any setting adjustments he might make.
I know each room is different, but everyone needs a starting place....

BTW, what is the 5 oclock shadow??

nw
post #558 of 3438 Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:

I didn't mean to sound rude. Instead I meant to awake your sense of believing in yourself, believing that you can evaluate a tv as well and probably better than anyone here. BTW, we are not experts here. We just like to talk about and help people with questions about audio/video.

BTW - I haven't even seen the hx923.

Again, let me wish you happy shopping!

No problem, I understand.

Well, I'm to the store once again to look closer at the NX720 and the HX920. I'll be bringing with me two older TV shows on DVD. So I can see what it looks like the 60". I have about 6000 US Dollars to spend on a TV. No more Shamsung for me. Too scared to get plasma. So the only sensible option is a Sony LED.

If I get the 60" I'll be sitting about 13 feet from the TV which might be too close for some. My old 55" felt like a good size for the room. But I think 60" will be fine too. Only one way to find out.

It's close call between the NX720 and HX920 for me. HX920 looks better on paper. It has more technology in it which isn't always a better thing. It's FULL ARRAY LED which I guess would mean zero clouding or close to none.

I'm in Sweden and the TV sets we get here from Sony come from the same factory that ship out sets to the UK, I think. Lots of people in the UK have been getting flawed HX920 sets. They call it a "crease" in the panel. So it's a bit of a gamble getting one. One part of me is saying to play it safe and get the NX720. Another is saying to get the slightly better TV, HX920.

Life sure is hard
post #559 of 3438 Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
No problem, I understand.

Too scared to get plasma. So the only sensible option is a Sony LED.

Life sure is hard
No need to be "scared" of plasma.
I have one upstairs in a room that does not get much light after mid-morning, its only 720 lines, and it has the best picture of all 4 TVs we have. It is the only plasma.
If plasma solves the reflection issue (gorrilla glass?), it very well could again become the preferred TV type (if it isn't already). Better picture and cheaper to build.
post #560 of 3438 Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here's an excerpt from a noted UK publication's review of the HX923:

Standard Definition
The Sony KDL-46HX923 does a good job with standard-def content, although after reviewing a lot of Plasmas lately, we always miss how their natural flicker/ pulsing disguises some of the overcompressed horror readily available on SD (and some HD) Digital TV channels, in a way that no LCD panel does. (The aforementioned Plasma flicker isn't to everyone's taste, of course).

Scaling is good, although not the crispest we've ever seen. The Sony KDL46HX923 performed very well with diagonal interpolation, meaning that jaggedness very rarely appeared on diagonal lines during the SD-to-HD conversion process. The KDL-46HX923 also excelled with film mode deinterlacing, effortlessly locking onto the 2-2 PAL film-to-video transfer cadence (as well as many of the American-centric NTSC variants) without so much as a hitch.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...1108021318.htm
post #561 of 3438 Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Here's an excerpt from a noted UK publication's review of the HX923:

Standard Definition
The Sony KDL-46HX923 does a good job with standard-def content, although after reviewing a lot of Plasmas lately, we always miss how their natural flicker/ pulsing disguises some of the overcompressed horror readily available on SD (and some HD) Digital TV channels, in a way that no LCD panel does. (The aforementioned Plasma flicker isn't to everyone's taste, of course).

Scaling is good, although not the crispest we've ever seen. The Sony KDL46HX923 performed very well with diagonal interpolation, meaning that jaggedness very rarely appeared on diagonal lines during the SD-to-HD conversion process. The KDL-46HX923 also excelled with film mode deinterlacing, effortlessly locking onto the 2-2 PAL film-to-video transfer cadence (as well as many of the American-centric NTSC variants) without so much as a hitch.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...1108021318.htm
Thanks again! Well, I did it! I got the NX720 60". It looked great in the store. I had a DVD with me, an older TV show, and it looked fine after some quick tweeking. Hopefully I will have the TV up and running on Monday. I will let you guys know later. I will also later do a video review of it on YouTube.
post #562 of 3438 Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Hi guys & girls,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for the last couple of weeks/months as I was planning on buying the (40") NX720 (with the HX720 - at same price - as a fallback), and wanted to be sure I was making the right choice. Thanks for all the info, tips, opinions etc.

I just found out a local store finally got the NX720 in, so I raced over there this afternoon just for the formality of having my decision confirmed.

Both the HX720 and the NX720 were there, and all TV's were displaying the same HD content, so I could make a pretty good comparison (only thing was they were not exactly next to eachother but mounted on the 2 different walls of a corner, so I had to turn my head 90 degrees when switching views from one to the other, so couldn't make a complete simultaneous comparison).
And boy, I must say, with (not even all that fastly) moving images, there was quite a difference between the 2... the HX720 kept all detail of the moving objects fine, whereas on the NX720 this became quite a bit hazy... Probably this won't be an issue if you don't know what you're missing, but seeing them next to eachother, there was quite a distinction.

Damn! I was pretty sure to be getting myself the NX720, and now I'm all in doubt again... (the HX820, combining the best of both, is not only a class higher, but unfortunately also only comes at a smallest size of 46", which makes the gap with the budget I had in mind (and with the size that best suites its location) a bit too big.
Damn again )

Cheers
post #563 of 3438 Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM

Liked: 36
Finally had a chance to spend some quality time with my new 55NX720 on the weekend. Coming from a pair of defective Samsung PS59D8000s. Both had peeling and buzzzzing problems which I couldn't stand (was frustrating as hell to receive a second one that was the exact same). Fortunately I got them through a mate who sorted a refund. Previously had a Samsung 40" CCFL 1080p LCD that I had been very happy with for the last couple of years - just wasn't big enough. The D8000 was my first experience of big in-home plasma and while the picture quality was pretty good, I prefer the new TV. No discernable backlight bleed, clouding, uniformity or banding problems which were the things I was most concerned about and the reason I didn't go for a Samsung LED after all the reports on here. I love the design, the picture quality, the interface - Actually I like everything about this TV so far and so does the wife.

Oddly enough, despite all the naysayers I quite like the whole Motionflow thing so will be leaving it on. Fast moving images and panning shots look great to me. People say frame interpolation looks unnatural but I can't think of anything more unnatural looking than judder - it doesn't exist in the real world and I don't want it on my TV. I like the daytime image on the LED and SD picture quality seems better but that could be the reduction in size from a 59". The blacks are better than my old 40 inch LCD and on a par with the D8000 plasma although I haven't spent much time examining them in a darkish room or playing with settings as of yet (time is precious with a newborn in the house). The whites are better than the plasma was especially in situations where most of the screen is brightly lit. Knowing that even when I leave my wife in charge (who am I kidding - she's always in charge) at home I'm not going to end-up with screen-burn is good too.

I am struggling but if I had to pick some negatives - the stand connection is a bit flimsy (not an issue once set-up and the TV looks straight) and the lack of a proper 'good old' full user manual is irritating (same thing goes for the Samsung plasmas). The online manual doesn't really explain the settings very well and you really have to do a bit of Google work to find out what the various picture options do.
post #564 of 3438 Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Reminder: This is AVS...MSRP price talk only.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #565 of 3438 Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Reminder: This is AVS...MSRP price talk only.

Whoops, sorry.

Anyhoo, my 60NX720 just shipped this morning from Amazon, so I'm feeling ok I went with them, as far as customer satisfaction goes. I had ordered from Abe's of Maine, based on price, and I had gotten something ok several years ago from them. However, recent reviews and a poor return policy made me cancel.

Hopefully the basement will be done in the next week or two so I can join the club.
post #566 of 3438 Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM

I just got my 47" NX720 5 days ago. So far I'm seeing the flashlight effect on the bottom right corner, other than that it's great on blacks and the pq is WOW.

The motionflow technology makes gaming from PC or PS3 look perfect!

Then today it's power cycling on me 3 to 5 times a day. It just turns off and the Sony logo is booting up.

I got the latest software updated on the first day so I'm not sure if it's software related or I just got a defective tv. : (
post #567 of 3438 Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 AM

now the led light is just blinking...
post #568 of 3438 Old 08-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm factory View Post

now the led light is just blinking...

did you call sony support?
post #569 of 3438 Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 AM

not yet... I'm at work now but my wife did caught a video of it turning off. I will update once I get home... this is gonna be a long day at work. : (
post #570 of 3438 Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 PM

Ok guys! Got mine set up now. I have checked out some Blu-rays, DVDs and Xbox 360 games. Everything looks fine. Clouding is present but can be minimized with the right settings. But the TV is Edge-lit, meaning clouding will never go away fully. Xbox 360 games work fine and I have noticed no input lag in any mode. Will try PS3 later. TV handles picture better than my Samsung LED 8 series from 2010. Much less moiré patterns for example, even with sharpness turned all the way up to MAX. I noticed when I turned the TV off into standby mode that there was a strange, low sound coming from the back of the TV right by the ON/OFF button. It goes away when turning off the TV completely. Anyone else have this?

I will do a video review of the TV for my YouTube channel later. Part 1 is up already but it's only of me unboxing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc0feF8yf2E

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page