Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3432 Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psnick View Post

We recently watched Tangled in 3D on our 60NX720 using this year's model of Sony's glasses. At the +1 3D setting, crosstalk/ghosting was not noticeable to me in most scenes. Even in the occasional scenes where I did notice it, it was pretty mild. As others have said, however, the quality of the 3D effect is highly sensitive to side-to-side head tilt. You really have to keep your glasses parallel to the floor, or else you will see very obvious ghosting.

Thanks for the reply. It's looking like this crosstalk issue is more of a problem with the EX720 than other Sony product lines. Hopefully Sony will come up with a fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3432 Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM

hey, I´m thinking about buying 40nx720. noticed that all nx720 have dynamic edge led except the 40" model. Is there a huge difference between that and the older "edge led"??
post #633 of 3432 Old 08-18-2011, 03:27 PM

My 60NX720 is on my wireless network. My iPhone with Media Remote app is on the network. However, when I try to add registration on my phone - they don't seem to want to hook up - the phone can't find anything.

Also, what's the use of wifi direct for? I can't find any documentation on it, hardly. I got my phone and tv hooked up through that, but then it wants me to push photos or something to it. What is it talking about?
post #634 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Can anyone clue me in on what webcam can be used to enable Skype on the NX720? Do I have to get a CMU-BR100, or will any webcam work? Does it plug into a USB port somewhere?
post #635 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM

How many of you people have amazing 3D with this TV and hardly any crosstalk?
post #636 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb2599 View Post

Thanks for the reply. It's looking like this crosstalk issue is more of a problem with the EX720 than other Sony product lines. Hopefully Sony will come up with a fix.

Ive had an ex720 and an NX720 and the crosstalk is horrible on both. It looks the same on the NX720 as it does on the EX720. The top half of the screen gets it the most.
post #637 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM

Well, I've spent forever looking for the sleep timer on this TV to no avail, I'm sure I'll feel stupid when I get the answer.

I got this TV 2 days ago and I'm enjoying it. My KDS-60A2020 got the green tint of death.

The 2D looks excellent, I'm using HiResolution's settings currently. It looks better than the TV it replaced and looks better than my KDFXS955S that had the blue blob of death and got a new optical block under warranty. The 55 was built in 2005 and the 60 was built in 2007. It seems the gains are incremental, not mind blowing, the other ones had very nice pictures too. Where I do seem to see a difference is in the gaming, it seems sharper, even the start up screens on the PS3 and 360 seem sharper, the gaming images are outstanding.

I wasn't ready financially for this TV to die, I was looking to get the 65 inch VT30 or something bigger than 60 with 3D. This was the best I could do for now, the 3D is pretty good. My expectations were tempered by the fact that it's an LCD. I did look at the best Sony in the store and the 3D wasn't crazy better than what I'm seeing.

I'm playing the Avatar game right now and I'm getting some ghosting, although I'm still enjoying the 3D. I wonder if firmware and/or glasses update and developers improving will make all this 3D better. I have the Tron game and haven't tried it yet. Just picked up the MOVE Tiger Woods Masters bundle and the Move works with Tron too so I'll report back on that experience. Motor Storm Pacific demo was cool, didn't notice any ghosting, I'll be downloading that and the other 3D content and I'll report back.

Now hopefully shortly someone will tell me where the sleep timer is on this TV, I'm embarrassed to say how long I've been looking for it. It should be on the remote of every TV, I use it every night on my other sets.
post #638 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120 inch lcd View Post

Well, I've spent forever looking for the sleep timer on this TV to no avail, I'm sure I'll feel stupid when I get the answer.

I got this TV 2 days ago and I'm enjoying it. My KDS-60A2020 got the green tint of death.

The 2D looks excellent, I'm using HiResolution's settings currently. It looks better than the TV it replaced and looks better than my KDFXS955S that had the blue blob of death and got a new optical block under warranty. The 55 was built in 2005 and the 60 was built in 2007. It seems the gains are incremental, not mind blowing, the other ones had very nice pictures too. Where I do seem to see a difference is in the gaming, it seems sharper, even the start up screens on the PS3 and 360 seem sharper, the gaming images are outstanding.

I wasn't ready financially for this TV to die, I was looking to get the 65 inch VT30 or something bigger than 60 with 3D. This was the best I could do for now, the 3D is pretty good. My expectations were tempered by the fact that it's an LCD. I did look at the best Sony in the store and the 3D wasn't crazy better than what I'm seeing.

I'm playing the Avatar game right now and I'm getting some ghosting, although I'm still enjoying the 3D. I wonder if firmware and/or glasses update and developers improving will make all this 3D better. I have the Tron game and haven't tried it yet. Just picked up the MOVE Tiger Woods Masters bundle and the Move works with Tron too so I'll report back on that experience. Motor Storm Pacific demo was cool, didn't notice any ghosting, I'll be downloading that and the other 3D content and I'll report back.

Now hopefully shortly someone will tell me where the sleep timer is on this TV, I'm embarrassed to say how long I've been looking for it. It should be on the remote of every TV, I use it every night on my other sets.

Do you have a ps3 slim?

Settings/Home Menu >
Preferences >
Eco
Picture Off
Sets the length of time until the TV screen turns off. You can select the following times when [Mild] in [Sensor Mode] is selected.
60/55/50/45/40/35/30/25/20/15/10/5
post #639 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

Do you have a ps3 slim?

Settings/Home Menu >
Preferences >
Eco
Picture Off
Sets the length of time until the TV screen turns off. You can select the following times when [Mild] in [Sensor Mode] is selected.
60/55/50/45/40/35/30/25/20/15/10/5

Thanks,

So it only uses the sensor mode as a sleep timer?

A sleep timer was one of the features of this (and just about every other) TV, not so crazy about the maximum being an hour and using the sensor, my dog can walk by once in a while and the TV will be on all night.

I'm shocked there's not a standard sleep timer and a button on the remote.

WAIT!

I just used the remote from my old TV and hit the sleep button and it works like the old one showing different increments up to 120 minutes, now where in the world is this simple feature on this new TV???? It's obviously programmed in the TV and I can't find it. It SHOULD simply be under options as it is on the hx929.

Well at least tonight I can use my old remote to set the sleep timer until we find it!
post #640 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 06:17 PM

Anyone having issues with the NX connecting to the internet?
Mine is getting an IP address, both wireless and wired, but does not seem to want to pull anything down from the net.
When I go to browse the internet I get a message about "MIME format not supported"

thanks,
nw
post #641 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Here's how you find the sleep timer.

Open your on screen menu system. Scroll until you find picture settings. Above that you will see preferences. Scroll to that and click on your remotes center button. Once you do that, scroll down until you see clock/timers. Click on that and scroll down until you see sleep timer. Click on that and "voila" you're there.

Bob (Retired)
post #642 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post

Here's how you find the sleep timer.

Open your on screen menu system. Scroll until you find picture settings. Above that you will see preferences. Scroll to that and click on your remotes center button. Once you do that, scroll down until you see clock/timers. Click on that and scroll down until you see sleep timer. Click on that and "voila" you're there.

Thanks, that's it. It's going to take a few clicks, I'll probably keep the other remote handy with the sleep button, I'm THAT lazy.
post #643 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 PM
BD2

Someone, anyone please explain to me why i upgraded from an EX720 to the 60NX720 to eliminate the clouding / mura effect and it's STILL THERE?

Yes, i dialed down the backlight and have the dynamic set to standard !
post #644 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, that's it. It's going to take a few clicks, I'll probably keep the other remote handy with the sleep button, I'm THAT lazy.

Glad I could help.

Bob (Retired)
post #645 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD2 View Post

Someone, anyone please explain to me why i upgraded from an EX720 to the 60NX720 to eliminate the clouding / mura effect and it's STILL THERE?

Mine has no clouding...
post #646 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 PM

I just got my 46nx720 today and I'm happy to report no clouding or flashlighting. Pretty awesome set if I do say so myself.

Even standard definition looks pretty good.

Bob (Retired)
post #647 of 3432 Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I am considered the 60nx720 in order to move to a larger screen since I am sitting 11 to 13 feet from the TV. But with the 60NX720 I am concerned with the fact that it is only an X-reality processor (not X-PRO) and it is a 120hz panel (not 240hz) therefore at risk of giving up too much performance. Has anyone been able to compare the NX720 to the HX820/NX810. I am coming from 50 inch Sony plasma panel KDE-50SX955 which is about 6 years old.

Any information would be appreciated since i cannot see these sets in my area. Thanks.
post #648 of 3432 Old 08-20-2011, 03:01 PM
sz8

I got the same TV. I don't see any flashlight/clouding if I have led dynamic
on "standard". However, if I turn that off, I saw flashlight on the corners.

BTW, for me, backlight does not seem to make much difference either way
as far as flashlight/clouding is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD2 View Post

post #649 of 3432 Old 08-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Is there any advantage to a ex 720over a nx720?
post #650 of 3432 Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post

Is there any advantage to a ex 720over a nx720?

Only advantage would be price, the ex is in the lower end of Sony TV's and the nx is the upper end. I think the chart showing the features of all the different lines are on the sony style website.
post #651 of 3432 Old 08-21-2011, 03:19 AM

NX720 has the following added features vs. the EX720:

* built-in Wi-Fi
* Dynamic Edge LED (local dimming)
* OptiContrast Panel
* Gorilla Glass
* Monolithic Design
post #652 of 3432 Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk1 View Post

NX720 has the following added features vs. the EX720:

* built-in Wi-Fi
* Dynamic Edge LED (local dimming)
* OptiContrast Panel
* Gorilla Glass
* Monolithic Design

Don't underestimate the PQ improvement from the glass/panel.
I was concerned about the glare from the glass, and it does have some, but if you can arrange the TV and lights so that it does not reflect or you are not bothered by it, the NX (to me) has a much richer picture than the EX.

I can find a reflection in mine if I choose to look for them or let them bother me, but the picture is bright enough that I tend to overlook the one's left after minimizing them.

I still am amazed at how put together the picture stays during sports motion. I'm sure it is not as good as a plasma, but unless you have a plasma beside the NX, it should not matter.

nw
post #653 of 3432 Old 08-21-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post

Don't underestimate the PQ improvement from the glass/panel.
I was concerned about the glare from the glass, and it does have some, but if you can arrange the TV and lights so that it does not reflect or you are not bothered by it, the NX (to me) has a much richer picture than the EX.

I can find a reflection in mine if I choose to look for them or let them bother me, but the picture is bright enough that I tend to overlook the one's left after minimizing them.

I still am amazed at how put together the picture stays during sports motion. I'm sure it is not as good as a plasma, but unless you have a plasma beside the NX, it should not matter.

nw

Really glad to hear this since I just switched my order from the EX to the NX under the optical block program. I was originally concerned about glare and was leaning toward the EX's matte finish. But I've read several comments that the EX with its matte screen actually appeared to have more glare when compared to the NX side-by-side. So that, along with the additional features swayed me.

The one thing that does bother me a bit is the lack of reviews on this set. The cnet asia review of the 46NX720 is the only one I found so far.

However, from all I've read this set appears to be a really solid 2D performer, and since I can't watch 3D of any kind without getting completely wiped out due to an eye focus problem the 3D performance is a non-issue for me.

Really can't wait to get my 60NX720. Should be 2-3 weeks which will seem like an eternity while watching my green SXRD 60.
post #654 of 3432 Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Aside from what I consider an increasingly pointless discussion of some allegedly matte LCDs, the NX has the Gorilla Glass solution, and presumably the related resin layer from the HX929. That combo does seem to be a very good handler of room light/glare/etc.

I think you're going to enjoy the NX a great deal, it looks real good to me in stores when I compare it to a lot of other sets.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #655 of 3432 Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 PM

[quote=kerplunk1;20849140]
The one thing that does bother me a bit is the lack of reviews on this set. The cnet asia review of the 46NX720 is the only one I found so far.

Here's another:
http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm
post #656 of 3432 Old 08-21-2011, 04:55 PM

[quote=socal13;20850685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk1 View Post

Here's another:
http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

Ouch...they didn't seem to like the 46NX much -- yet (strangely) gave the 55EX720 a much better review here:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...Conclusion.htm
post #657 of 3432 Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM

just wanted to post my question again, hopefully someone has knowlegde about this.
"thinking about buying 40nx720. noticed that all nx720 have dynamic edge led except the 40" model. Is there a huge difference between that and the older "edge led"??"
post #658 of 3432 Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orljustin View Post

Can anyone clue me in on what webcam can be used to enable Skype on the NX720? Do I have to get a CMU-BR100, or will any webcam work? Does it plug into a USB port somewhere?

Nobody here uses skype on their tv?
post #659 of 3432 Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I use the built in camera in my iMac. Works great with free Skype. Don't need a Tv for that.
post #660 of 3432 Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post
I use the built in camera in my iMac. Works great with free Skype. Don't need a Tv for that.
My laptop sits two floors away from the tv. Besides, I'm tired of gathering the family around my computer to use skype.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page