Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I received a brand new Sony Bravia KDL-60NX720 on 9/8/11 that I ordered from Amazon.
I have got to say, that right out of the carton, the picture without any calibration, is breathtakingly beautiful.
The first broadcast I watched, was that evenings Saints vs Packers NFL football game.
WOW!!!
It was like I was on the field with the players.
Absolutely stunning picture quality.
If your into sports like me, then you need a 60" screen.
Size really does matter, when it comes to watching spots and movies.
Your immersed into the action, in a way that your not, with 55" or 46" screen sizes.

The only problem that I seem to be having, in the couple of weeks that I've had this set, is that when I turn the set on,
it will sometimes switch from my home theater speakers, to the tv speakers.
Or other times when I'am watching a tv broadcast, with sound coming from my HT speakers, the tv will suddenly
switch back to the tv speakers.
The first time this happened, a note briefly flashed on the screen, for a split second, that said something
about checking the audio imput.
Everything seems to be set up correctly.
I have a Sony 1.4 HDMI cable, connected to the HDMI OUTPUT, on the back of my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver,
to the HDMI/ARC input on the back of my KDL-60NX720 tv.

Anybody know how to fix the problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
My brother from another mother! I have a new 60" NX720 (born on September 20th) and a new Yamaha V667 receiver as well.

I don't have those issues so far, but maybe it's the way you have the ARC feature setup. Also, isn't their an option with the receiver to control HDMI connected units? I know it can do it with the power on/off control, but maybe it can control speaker output as well.

Lastly, I'm still learning how it works but if you set up a scene to force an audio configuration, perhaps it'll stay on what you want.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #723 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Isn't their an option with the receiver to control HDMI connected units?

Yes and I have it set to on.
I also posted my problem over in the Yamaha RX-V667 owners thread.
One of the members over there suggested I turn on the Sony Sync system in the tv.
But the Sony Sync says it doesn't detect any HDMI connections.

post #724 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Questions;
1) My USB ext HDD with VIDEO/sub folders powers up when plugged into (vertical top USB) but does not show as a device. Is there a FAT restriction, or folder naming convention I'm not seeing that is needed?

2) The ARC HDMI - Do I run HDMI from the TV's ARC port to the AVRs ARC port and should expect that when the TV is the source (as in Internet content) that the avr will output the (tv's) audio coming back via the avr's arc port? It seems so weird to conceptualize that an output port is also an Input port - and how will this be handled on the avr end? do you think it will disable another HDMI port when in use?
post #725 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

2) The ARC HDMI - Do I run HDMI from the TV's ARC port to the AVRs ARC port and should expect that when the TV is the source (as in Internet content) that the avr will output the (tv's) audio coming back via the avr's arc port? It seems so weird to conceptualize that an output port is also an Input port - and how will this be handled on the avr end? do you think it will disable another HDMI port when in use?

I ran a 1.4 HDMI cable from the tv's HDMI/ARC input to the HDMI output on the back of my Yamaha's receiver.
That's what the owners manual recommended and that's what I did.

post #726 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

I ran a 1.4 HDMI cable from the tv's HDMI/ARC input to the HDMI output on the back of my Yamaha's receiver.
That's what the owners manual recommended and that's what I did.

...And what setting/source does the Yamaha need to be on to acknowledge that ARC info is coming back to the receiver? Or does it not matter/auto?
post #727 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...And what setting/source does the Yamaha need to be on to acknowledge that ARC info is coming back to the receiver? Or does it not matter/auto?

You just go into the on screen menu and click ARC on.
Then it's automatic.

My problem is that my KDL60NX720 tv sometimes defaults to the tv speakers from the HT speakers.

post #728 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You just go into the on screen menu and click ARC on.
Then it's automatic.

My problem is that my KDL60NX720 tv sometimes defaults to the tv speakers from the HT speakers.

1st off, thanks - And ARC sounds like a wonderful thing.
2nd - Does the TV need to be on HT Speaker setting to use ARC (as you are, I assume)?

Seems like a very odd glitch what's happening to you...
post #729 of 3431 Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Hi all,

I am in the market of 55'' TV for my living room and I am still debating between the NX720 and HX729. I really like the frameless design on the NX but I am not sure whether I want to give out the newer X-Reality Pro and 240Hz panel on the HX. Does any current NX720 owner feel they are missing these two features? I probably use TV for watching cable, movies and some streaming. Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

i-SpY
post #730 of 3431 Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think ARC only works with the first HDMI port.

post #731 of 3431 Old 09-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispy View Post

Hi all,

I am in the market of 55'' TV for my living room and I am still debating between the NX720 and HX729. I really like the frameless design on the NX but I am not sure whether I want to give out the newer X-Reality Pro and 240Hz panel on the HX. Does any current NX720 owner feel they are missing these two features? I probably use TV for watching cable, movies and some streaming. Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks!

i-SpY

My buddy & I both just got new TVs from SonyListens program, me the 60NX720 and he the 55HX729 - So I have had the chance to see them both. And while they both offer excellent PQ, the design win goes to the NX. As for the MotionFlow - In most cases folks don't like it anyway, and often shut it off. The likelihood that 'we' could tell the difference between 120hz & 240hz is pretty slim, it may be great for sports - I haven't tried that yet. As for Video Games, I imagine MotionFlow processing would add LAG, so there's that. The RealityX-Pro of the HX may be better than the X of the NX, but do you watch that much [horribly compressed] Internet content, such as lo res YouTube and such, because from what I understand that's where it does its work.

I chose the NX for many reasons, mostly because I was coming from a 60", my buddy had a 50" so the 55" was a step up for him. Specs-wise they are very similar under the hood. The Gorilla Glass looks beautiful (on or off) and if you don't have a potential glare issue then I recommend the NX - If the price difference is of concern then the HX will do the job in about the same way.
post #732 of 3431 Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1st off, thanks - And ARC sounds like a wonderful thing.
2nd - Does the TV need to be on HT Speaker setting to use ARC (as you are, I assume)?

Seems like a very odd glitch what's happening to you...

If you don't click on ht speakers you'll get the tv speakers awful sound.

post #733 of 3431 Old 09-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think ARC only works with the first HDMI port.

Did you calibrate your tv yet.
Also did you hard wire your tv to the internet.
I understand that you get a much stronger signal than relying on the built-in wifi.

post #734 of 3431 Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you calibrate your tv yet.
Also did you hard wire your tv to the internet.
I understand that you get a much stronger signal than relying on the built-in wifi.

I calibrated mine with the AVS709 disc. I also was keen enough to have a Ethernet port installed where my components are when the house was built - so I'm hardwired. I can't speak to the difference from wi-fi, but streaming HD 3D content from the Sony trailers/demo menu was surprisingly quick.
post #735 of 3431 Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Placed our order for a KDL60NX720 last Saturday, 09/19/2011. Purchase from Abe's of Maine, great price, free shipping, etc. They said it should ship in 5 -8 days, but as of today, they have contracted the order to SONY in California where we live. Sony states currently out of stock and should have more in by Monday or Tuesday. This weekend I will install the wall mount and run the electric, hdml and network lines.
post #736 of 3431 Old 09-23-2011, 09:04 PM

Thanks, BigBrain28

This is a good input and also eases my concern. I guess I feel more comfortable to go with the NX720 now.

i-SpY

Quote:

My buddy & I both just got new TVs from SonyListens program, me the 60NX720 and he the 55HX729 - So I have had the chance to see them both. And while they both offer excellent PQ, the design win goes to the NX. As for the MotionFlow - In most cases folks don't like it anyway, and often shut it off. The likelihood that 'we' could tell the difference between 120hz & 240hz is pretty slim, it may be great for sports - I haven't tried that yet. As for Video Games, I imagine MotionFlow processing would add LAG, so there's that. The RealityX-Pro of the HX may be better than the X of the NX, but do you watch that much [horribly compressed] Internet content, such as lo res YouTube and such, because from what I understand that's where it does its work.

I chose the NX for many reasons, mostly because I was coming from a 60", my buddy had a 50" so the 55" was a step up for him. Specs-wise they are very similar under the hood. The Gorilla Glass looks beautiful (on or off) and if you don't have a potential glare issue then I recommend the NX - If the price difference is of concern then the HX will do the job in about the same way.

post #737 of 3431 Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just finished my man cave/family room downstairs and planning to buy a 60in for it in a few months. I currently have a Samsung 52A850 in the living room that I bought in Dec. of 08 which I love, the picture is still beautiful it has incredible viewing angle, very very minor clouding almost perfect uniformity and awesome colors.

I don't want to down grade on my next set, it has to be 60in and similar in performance to my Samsung. I like Samsung but all I keep reading is a lot of problems with 8000s and 7000s series, which brings me to this Sony 60nx720.
Sounds like most people are pretty happy over here with there Sony purchases, but I keep reading mixed review from others with terrible viewing angles, bad 3d(not a huge deal about 3D but I might end up liking it, not sure) bad flashlights/clouding...does the Sony have less issues than the Samsung, anyone have had both to compare. I do understand that nothing is perfect and that there will be flaws in every TV..I like to game also, hows the input lag???

Thanks for any input...
post #738 of 3431 Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exquzet View Post

Sony states currently out of stock and should have more in by Monday or Tuesday.

That's because it's football season.

A 60" screen is a must if you watch a lot of sports.

post #739 of 3431 Old 09-25-2011, 08:08 PM

hello my fine people.

I have bought a 46NX720 and i am very stunned with its beauty when turned off and overwelmed when turned on... in 2D.
the problem is the 3D, it came with the new BR250 glasses that supposely reduce crosstalk but still i can see too much of it, it's almost annoying to see anything on 3D.
i watched Narnia (free with the TV package and glasses) and every time the depth is compromised, even on the subtitles i have crosstalk!! its like a shadow of everything. but things can get worse! hold on... i have a PS3 too and i bought this mainly for gaming: Wipeout HD, great game; too much crosstalk too...the ship has ghosting, the buildings even more, its almost unbearable to play in 3D, i have reduced the 3D in game option to 20% but still some crosstalk... and almost no 3D effect at all; GT5 crosstalk again, cockpit view at its most, takes all the fun of the 3D; Killzone 3 as well with crosstalk, i only tried the Demo but at the beginning you see ghosted snow flying around and i understand that it should pop out the screen but the crosstalk ruins it, the same with the munition cartdriges popping out of the guns; Tumble, a game with the Move as well suffers it; Top Darts ; Hustle kings; Motorstorm...Tetris, Puzzle Dimension...etc Stardust... i mean... i feel disapponted with this... is there a chance that is something i should do or set on my TV? i played around with various setting and different scenes but nothing really works...
i mostly notice this terrible crosstalk from the upper half of the screen, i can reduce it by decreasing the 3D effect on the games but whats the point of 3D without being blown away with the 3D effects?

i need help on fixing this as i am considering returning this TV since most of the use was planned for 3D gaming.

appreciate your help if someone had the same experience and any solution.

thanks
post #740 of 3431 Old 09-25-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've played a lot of those games and demos but haven't had the crosstalk issue you've described (default depth settings). Read through this thread; maybe someone posted tips to help you. The 3D isn't perfect, but most times it looks great. My main problem with it can't be helped in that I wish the brightness didn't dim so much using the tech.

post #741 of 3431 Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 PM

unfortunately i am suffering this i have read all the 25 pages of this forum but the only settings placed were for the pic quality, nothing about 3D settings to reduce Crosstalk.
i know it takes some brightness but its a price to pay for the 3D.

i think i will try to tweak as much as i can, spend some more hours on it.

i really like this Tv, i want it to succeed, it really looks fantastic above my piano black Playstation 3. :P
post #742 of 3431 Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Just took delivery of my 60NX720 today. Though there was a bit of trouble with the packaging, I think it's going to be alright (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20999757).

My 60XBR2 looks much larger compared to this set though, but you have to love its elegant and understated beauty. My 60XBR2 is like Anna Nicole Smith back when she was all voluptuous and full figured, whereas my 60NX720 is like Catherine Deneuve in the early 60's.

Going through the setup process right now and then I'll probably try out some of the settings I found in this thread. Then I'll setup the network. I can actually set it up on a wired LAN, so hopefully I won't have any issues typically associated with a wireless one.
post #743 of 3431 Old 09-25-2011, 09:08 PM

Oh, one more thing for now. What's the best way to wipe and clean the screen on this TV? I have a few small smudges I'd like to take care of properly. Thank you for your time and courtesy.
post #744 of 3431 Old 09-26-2011, 01:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Question: I want to secure my new NX720 to the stand beneath it; can someone offer advice on how to do it?

The base of the stand has a strong, horizontal metal beam about two inches in diameter. I'm thinking I can attach a cord or chain that fastens to it, but I don't know where to attach the other end on the back of the TV itself.

I see in the instructions a reference to some holes if you want to secure it to a wall, but mine doesn't have holes in the back. How do you guys keep your set locked down on a stand?

post #745 of 3431 Old 09-26-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:

I've played a lot of those games and demos but haven't had the crosstalk issue you've described (default depth settings). Read through this thread; maybe someone posted tips to help you. The 3D isn't perfect, but most times it looks great. My main problem with it can't be helped in that I wish the brightness didn't dim so much using the tech.

I have those same exact issue he is having. I have complained about it in this thread before and everyone acted like I was just spewing bs.
post #746 of 3431 Old 09-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

I have those same exact issue he is having. I have complained about it in this thread before and everyone acted like I was just spewing bs.

I also have found the 3D to be mostly useless on this set. Crosstalk is bad on the bottom of the screen, and I cannot actually focus on the center of the screen in some cases due to the odd disjointed image - In some cases. Some things look better than others but there is ALWAYS crosstalk along the bottom regardless of viewing position. I don't see how we can have different experiences if we all have the same tv and glasses, unless 1/2 of us have eyeball issues (I have 20/10 vision, btw)...
post #747 of 3431 Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

TigerDirect offers the Sony 60" 120Hz 1080p 3D-Ready LED-Backlit Widescreen HD Television, model no. KDL-60NX720 (pictured), bundled with the Sony Alice in Wonderland 3D Deluxe Starter Kit, model no. 3DBNDL, and the Sony 3D Glasses 2-Pack, model no. TDGBR50/B for $3,479.96. Coupon code "NGG44614" cuts it to $2,199.96. With $60.31 for shipping, that's the lowest total price we could find for the TV alone by $718. The HDTV features include a 1920x1080 (1080p) native resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, edge-lit LED-backlight, Corning Gorilla Glass panel, X-Reality Engine, BRAVIA Internet Video with Netflix, Hulu Plus, Qriocity, YouTube, and Pandora content streaming apps, wireless connectivity, Ethernet port, two USB ports, four HDMI inputs, and VGA, component, and other inputs. The starter kit includes two pairs of Sony 3D glasses, Alice in Wonderland 3D on Blu-ray, 3D Sync Transmitter, and HDMI cable.
post #748 of 3431 Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I also have found the 3D to be mostly useless on this set. Crosstalk is bad on the bottom of the screen, and I cannot actually focus on the center of the screen in some cases due to the odd disjointed image - In some cases. Some things look better than others but there is ALWAYS crosstalk along the bottom regardless of viewing position. I don't see how we can have different experiences if we all have the same tv and glasses, unless 1/2 of us have eyeball issues (I have 20/10 vision, btw)...

I agree. I also have tons of crosstalk along the bottom of the screen. I know it's not my vision as I also have a DLP 3D projector with no crosstalk at all.

Sony really needs to fix this.

Chris Blount
post #749 of 3431 Old 09-26-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom203r View Post

I just finished my man cave/family room downstairs and planning to buy a 60in for it in a few months. I currently have a Samsung 52A850 in the living room that I bought in Dec. of 08 which I love, the picture is still beautiful it has incredible viewing angle, very very minor clouding almost perfect uniformity and awesome colors.

I don't want to down grade on my next set, it has to be 60in and similar in performance to my Samsung. I like Samsung but all I keep reading is a lot of problems with 8000s and 7000s series, which brings me to this Sony 60nx720.
Sounds like most people are pretty happy over here with there Sony purchases, but I keep reading mixed review from others with terrible viewing angles, bad 3d(not a huge deal about 3D but I might end up liking it, not sure) bad flashlights/clouding...does the Sony have less issues than the Samsung, anyone have had both to compare. I do understand that nothing is perfect and that there will be flaws in every TV..I like to game also, hows the input lag???

Thanks for any input...

I got my 60NX720 last week and so far I'm very impressed. I haven't customized any of the settings yet. The viewing angle I find to be very sufficient and really don't see any problems with it at all. I do have some flashlighting but it is only really visible when I am playing PS3 games (not in game mode) where there are a lot of pure black screens. I'm confident that some fine tuning of the settings can fix them. They aren't noticeable in normal 2D scenes.

I watched a lot of football this weekend and was extremely impressed. Also watching 1080i shows on DirecTV has been awesome. It completely changes the experience (coming from a Sony Bravia 32" from 2009 w/ 1080p).

As for 3D, I've only watched a few shows so far and not an entire movie yet. But I'd say that most of the reviews I read were pretty accurate. Mostly that it isn't perfect but that no other TV out there atm does it any better. I'm still getting used to viewing 3D at home as well. The simulated 3D doesn't seem to add much to the experience and I find it to be a worse effect than watching something like a glasses free 3d phone screen (EVO 3D). The effects on the real 3D definitely add something to the experience, but there seem to be some issues with clouding and motion blur. I haven't had the chance to compare the 3D on the 60NX720 to something like the 55NX989, but if I was someone who was buying this TV mostly for 3D, I would certainly want to see how big the differences were.

I did some Call of Duty: Black Ops in 3D. It actually worked quite nice and there was minimal crosstalk. But I do notice the crosstalk (default settings) on movies and shows.

I've got my set mounted on the wall over my fireplace. It is hooked up to my wifi and everything seems to work fine with the networking without needing to hard wire it.
post #750 of 3431 Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's too bad that some here haven't gotten good results. Everyone who has used it in my house so far loves the effect though my wife says the BR-250 glasses are heavy and my mom thinks objects pop out to closely too her face.

I spent two hours playing co-op SOCOM 4 in 3D last night on this set. The illusion is fantastic. Crosstalk is minimal and it delivers a convincing feelling of depth.

You can control how deep you want the 3D to go in the distance as well as how extreme the effect itself will work by using in-game sliders. It's possible to adjust it so much that the cross talk becomes very obvious, but I found the default setting to be just about perfect.

I agree with some posters that the simulated 3D setting seems to not be worth it in TV shows/movies, but in the one game I tried it with it looked surprisingly decent (Marvel Pinball - Wolverine table).

I felt that input lag had increased with the simulated 3D setting, but to be honest I haven't yet tweaked the TV's settings in that mode to see how much of that came from the 3D process. It's not as good as the "legit" 3D mode of course, but cross talk was minimal and the effect looked pretty good.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page