Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3431 Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven in Balto View Post

Anyone notice the new CNET 2011 Editors Choices TVs?
Hint, it has something to do with the title of this threat

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...tColumnArea1.0

So CNET awarded based upon near top performance and real world criteria such as value. What a concept! I am lovin the TV so far.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3431 Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-540800.html

Anybody tried these calibration settings? Backlight on 1 seems a bit low to me??
post #903 of 3431 Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM
dtc

I have a new 60" NX720. For my network I do not use any security, except MAC filtering to limit who can connect. I have multiple PCs and an Oppo 93 that work fine with this setup. The TV does not connect to my router (Netgear). When I turn off MAC filtering it connects fine. It sees it and gets the right SSID. It just does not connect. I have double and triple checked the MAC address. I got the MAC address from the Contact Sony page. Has anyone else seen this problem? I hate to redo my whole network security to get this to work. Thanks.
post #904 of 3431 Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 PM

Is there any way to play subtitles over USB?
post #905 of 3431 Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc View Post

I have a new 60" NX720. For my network I do not use any security, except MAC filtering to limit who can connect. I have multiple PCs and an Oppo 93 that work fine with this setup. The TV does not connect to my router (Netgear). When I turn off MAC filtering it connects fine. It sees it and gets the right SSID. It just does not connect. I have double and triple checked the MAC address. I got the MAC address from the Contact Sony page. Has anyone else seen this problem? I hate to redo my whole network security to get this to work. Thanks.

Sony could not help me get this set up using MAC filtering. I ended up changing to WEP security and it is working now. It must be something between the Sony and my Netgear router, as others have reported using MAC filtering. I prefer MAC filtering, but I can live with WEP.
post #906 of 3431 Old 10-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc View Post

Sony could not help me get this set up using MAC filtering. I ended up changing to WEP security and it is working now. It must be something between the Sony and my Netgear router, as others have reported using MAC filtering. I prefer MAC filtering, but I can live with WEP.

I gave up on MAC filtering when my kids were bringing their friends into the house and wanted to get online. I could probably go back to it. I think this is the way to get the MAC address of the TV -

The use of MAC (Media Access Control) filtering on a network permits and denies network access to specific devices. If your wireless network is setup for MAC filtering, you will need to add the MAC address of the TV into the list of devices allowed.

If your router or wireless access point is configured to filter MAC addresses, you will need to enter the MAC address of the TV into the MAC filter table as an allowed device. Follow the steps below to access the MAC address from the menu of the TV:

Using the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
Select Settings.
Select Network.
Select Network Setup.
Select View Network Status.
Press the ENTER button.
Write down the entire string of letters and numbers, including the colons : that appear in the MAC Address field.

Jeff
post #907 of 3431 Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-540800.html

Anybody tried these calibration settings? Backlight on 1 seems a bit low to me??

Ok, I tried these calibration settings and... Looks pretty good! Blacks still deep, detail in blacks still present. Its a little 'soft', which is fine, but some may want to use more sharpness. I still need to run the AVS-709 again and see how these settings agree/disagree with it.
post #908 of 3431 Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Ok, I tried these calibration settings and... Looks pretty good! Blacks still deep, detail in blacks still present. Its a little 'soft', which is fine, but some may want to use more sharpness. I still need to run the AVS-709 again and see how these settings agree/disagree with it.

Did you view it in a darkened room? I agree with your earlier comment about a backlight setting of 1 being too low, certainly for daytime viewing.
post #909 of 3431 Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Just wanted to throw some post ISF calibration settings out there (Done today)...Remember, no two displays will ever respond excactly the same. It's easy to control the lighting in my viewing enviornment, calibration done in a room with a 4 light intensity on a scale of 1 - 10..

Custom

Backlight - 3

Picture - 84

Brightness - 51

Color - 54

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Warm 2

Sharpness - 18

Noise, MPEG, DOT, Motionflow, Cinemotion - ALL OFF

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Black Corrector - OFF

ADV Contrast Enh - OFF

Gamma - 0

LED Dynamic - Standard

Auto Light - OFF

Clear White - OFF

Live Color - OFF

White Balance

R Gain -2 (Negative 2)
G Gain -5 (Negative 5)
B Gain -1 (Negative 1)

R Bias -1 (Negative 1)
G Bias 0
B Bias 0

Detail Enhancer - OFF

Edge Enhancer - OFF

Skin Naturalizer - OFF

i/p Conversion Preference - Quality

Biggest change - Color temp was at 9500K Pre-Cal, is now 6500K across the board...

Give it a shot, alway's fun to TWEAK !!!!

Looking good to me !!

EDIT: The only variance in input settings is the Sharpness on the Oppo - BDP93 input, 11 vs 18.
post #910 of 3431 Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

Just wanted to throw some post ISF calibration settings out there (Done today)...Remember, no two displays will ever respond excactly the same. It's easy to control the lighting in my viewing enviornment, calibration done in a room with a 4 light intensity on a scale of 1 - 10..

Custom

Backlight - 3

Picture - 84

Brightness - 51

Color - 54

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Warm 2

Sharpness - 18

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Black Corrector - OFF

ADV Contrast Enh - OFF

Gamma - 0

LED Dynamic - Standard

Auto Light - OFF

Clear White - OFF

Live Color - OFF

White Balance

R Gain -2 (Negative 2)
G Gain -5 (Negative 5)
B Gain -1 (Negative 1)

R Bias -1 (Negative 1)
G Bias 0
B Bias 0

Detail Enhancer - OFF

Edge Enhancer - OFF

Skin Naturalizer - OFF

Biggest change - Color temp was at 9500K Pre-Cal, is now 6500K across the board...

Looking good to me !!

EDIT: The only variance in input settings is the Sharpness on the Oppo - BDP93 input, 11 vs 18.

Thanks Tweaker!
post #911 of 3431 Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 PM
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCar View Post

I gave up on MAC filtering when my kids were bringing their friends into the house and wanted to get online. I could probably go back to it. I think this is the way to get the MAC address of the TV -

The use of MAC (Media Access Control) filtering on a network permits and denies network access to specific devices. If your wireless network is setup for MAC filtering, you will need to add the MAC address of the TV into the list of devices allowed.

If your router or wireless access point is configured to filter MAC addresses, you will need to enter the MAC address of the TV into the MAC filter table as an allowed device. Follow the steps below to access the MAC address from the menu of the TV:

Using the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
Select Settings.
Select Network.
Select Network Setup.
Select View Network Status.
Press the ENTER button.
Write down the entire string of letters and numbers, including the colons : that appear in the MAC Address field.

Jeff

I did all those things. I have been using MAC filtering for years and have never had a problem with it. I have multiple PCs accessing the router just fine and my Oppo 93 connects fine with MAC filtering. There seems to be some problem between the TV and my router when using MAC filtering. Rather than fight it, I will just go with the WEP security. Thanks.
post #912 of 3431 Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 PM
dtc

Quote:

Custom

Backlight - 3

Picture - 84

Brightness - 51

Color - 54

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Warm 2

Sharpness - 18

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Black Corrector - OFF

ADV Contrast Enh - OFF

Gamma - 0

LED Dynamic - Standard

Auto Light - OFF

Clear White - OFF

Live Color - OFF

White Balance

R Gain -2 (Negative 2)
G Gain -5 (Negative 5)
B Gain -1 (Negative 1)

R Bias -1 (Negative 1)
G Bias 0
B Bias 0

Detail Enhancer - OFF

Edge Enhancer - OFF

Skin Naturalizer - OFF

Looking good to me !!

Thanks. Do you know what color temp the various options (Neutral, Cool, Warm1, Warm2) correspond to?
post #913 of 3431 Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Custom

Backlight - 3

Picture - 84

Brightness - 51

Color - 54

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Warm 2

Sharpness - 18

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Black Corrector - OFF

ADV Contrast Enh - OFF

Gamma - 0

LED Dynamic - Standard

Auto Light - OFF

Clear White - OFF

Live Color - OFF

White Balance

R Gain -2 (Negative 2)
G Gain -5 (Negative 5)
B Gain -1 (Negative 1)

R Bias -1 (Negative 1)
G Bias 0
B Bias 0

Detail Enhancer - OFF

Edge Enhancer - OFF

Skin Naturalizer - OFF

Looking good to me !!

So, given that almost every professional calibration for most displays recommends turing off every video enhancing control (motion flow, black corrector, enhanced contrast, etc.) when would one ever want to use these features? Are they useful when watching sports for example?
post #914 of 3431 Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 97
After reading this review below:

http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-br..._11319_16.html

Can anyone agree that the input lag is 66ms? I would think game mode would reduce that but that website doesn't state if they tried it in game mode or not.

Also that website is saying that the NX720 has a static contrast ratio that is almost double of the HX929 :http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-br..._11174_16.html

How is that possible??

Anyone game on the NX720 and can confirm if it does the 4:4:4 chroma in game mode like the HX929 does?
post #915 of 3431 Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven in Balto View Post

So, given that almost every professional calibration for most displays recommends turing off every video enhancing control (motion flow, black corrector, enhanced contrast, etc.) when would one ever want to use these features? Are they useful when watching sports for example?

They all add image processing, whether or not one finds that processing beneficial is in the eye of the beholder...Just because a display is calibrated to ISF standard, doesn't necessarily mean it looks better to me or you, but we do know it's more natural. One would have to really look into the effect each has on PQ...Haven't had the time myself as of yet..
post #916 of 3431 Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post

Can anyone agree that the input lag is 66ms? I would think game mode would reduce that but that website doesn't state if they tried it in game mode or not.

Also that website is saying that the NX720 has a static contrast ratio that is almost double of the HX929 :http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-br..._11174_16.html

How is that possible??

Anyone game on the NX720 and can confirm if it does the 4:4:4 chroma in game mode like the HX929 does?

I don't think i liked that review much at all. It has been tested and posted in this thread, and others (search "input lag" to find o.p.) that the input lag on Game mode is only 40ms (2.4 fps).

It also shows 'screen shots" of clouding that look extreme - I have NO clouding with my current settings.

It also states "The NX723 is one of the few slim TVs that can lay claim to producing decent quality audio." Um... No, its as awful as you'd expect, but then most of us use avrs and couldn't care less.

I do game on this set, in Game Mode (and 3D Black Ops on occasion) and find no perceptible lag (but then, I'm 40, not 12 so perhaps my brain-lag is slower anyway). I'm not sure about the 4:4:4, or how we would know/determine that?
post #917 of 3431 Old 10-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How is that possible??

No, I can't agree with 66ms.....

Check the lag thread (sticky). I would agree with 40ms (+/-) a ms or two as someone already stated, and has been tested..

Other two questions ?? Curious what would be so interesting about a static image's contarst ratio though. Maybe if I were doing some CGI work, photoshop??

Also, as already stated..That review throws red flags as soon as the audio comes into question. Quality audio?? I guess if you like the tin can effects...??? I still can't get the audio to sound decent..Thank god for AVR's !!!!!
post #918 of 3431 Old 10-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

No, I can't agree with 66ms.....

Check the lag thread (sticky). I would agree with 40ms (+/-) a ms or two as someone already stated, and has been tested..

Other two questions ?? Curious what would be so interesting about a static image's contarst ratio though. Maybe if I were doing some CGI work, photoshop??

Also, as already stated..That review throws red flags as soon as the audio comes into question. Quality audio?? I guess if you like the tin can effects...??? I still can't get the audio to sound decent..Thank god for AVR's !!!!!

Static contrast ratio is with no dynamic contrast enabled liked local dimming etc. Static contrast ratio is important because although stuff like the black bars may be 0 black, the actual image on the panel can't attain that as the pixels on a lcd are not self lit on a per pixel basis.

That website's #'s just seem off to me, they are saying the the nx720 has almost double the contrast ratio as the high end hx929. The hx929 more then likely uses the same lcd panel as the nx720 and nx820 models.

Quote:

I don't think i liked that review much at all. It has been tested and posted in this thread, and others (search "input lag" to find o.p.) that the input lag on Game mode is only 40ms (2.4 fps).

It also shows 'screen shots" of clouding that look extreme - I have NO clouding with my current settings.

It also states "The NX723 is one of the few slim TVs that can lay claim to producing decent quality audio." Um... No, its as awful as you'd expect, but then most of us use avrs and couldn't care less.

I do game on this set, in Game Mode (and 3D Black Ops on occasion) and find no perceptible lag (but then, I'm 40, not 12 so perhaps my brain-lag is slower anyway). I'm not sure about the 4:4:4, or how we would know/determine that?

Good to know about the input lag, 2 1/2 frames isnt an issue for me, I game on a Pioneer Elite plasma (kuro) and that has 50ms of input lag :/

In order to see if the panel can do 4:4:4 chroma is to have the tv set in game mode and see if red lettering is sharper, especially against a black background, this will only work on a game system as they send out 4:4:4 chroma.
post #919 of 3431 Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

...Point being, there will be slight variations between the same models calibrated by the same tech, most of which are set regardless of enviornment..So to say most calibrated settings done on television (a) in an igloo on Everest wouldn't help uncalibrated television (b) in Costa Rica would be incorrect IMO..While (b) might not look "EXACTLY" like (a) it would probably still look better than it did before...

Actually, the settings tend to vary more between individual samples than you might think. Some settings like sharpness, video processing modes and other image processing type things are identical between units. Color and brightness type settings tend to vary the most between samples and changing these to match one sets versus yours can result in a worse picture than original.

Using inadequate color tools to set color is a recipe for disaster. Many sets today have a white balance setting that is pretty close to D65 and tracks reasonably well. If your tools are not good enough which is frequently the case you will make things worse than they were to start with. I see this all the time with others work in adjusting white balance using tools that are inadequate.

Color saturation is a very tricky thing to get right and many displays are not that far off out of the box. If you adjust this without excellent tools you are very likely to end up with a desaturated picture which does not look good. I also see this over and over again.

Brightness strangely seems to elude many people. Setting this requires the right test pattern and careful examination of reference images. Some sets will dynamically adjust brightness depending on the average picture level which will render many test patterns useless.

Gamma is very tricky to get right and will usually either be very right on a product or very wrong. Measuring this requires instruments that have good sensitivity down to about 0.2 fL on a flat panel. It also requires measuring in fine increments and down dark. The quality of an image is primarily determined by the performance below 40% signal level. If your tools are not good from 10% to 40% signal level you will do a poor job in setting gamma with your tools alone. I see many displays where things are set pretty close above 50% level, but very poor below 30% where most of the image is and the results are horrible.

The other problem many people have is knowing where the problem is in the picture. Some will adjust the TV when the problem is in the source and some will adjust the source when the problem is in the TV. Doing this wrong is very likely to result in a loss of bit depth and a more pixelated image or a loss of contrast or bad results on other sources. Not having a video signal generator to determine where the problem originates is a pitfall many fall into.

W. Jeff Meier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #920 of 3431 Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

They show four frames of lag? Guaranteed nonsense, assuming that set has the same specs as the 60" NX720. I was the one who tested for input lag here and I documented everything - there is 2.4 frames of input lag on this set.

This site provided no testing information whatsoever. That section of the article is just a sentence stating some number pulled out of nowhere and that's it. Did he use Game Mode (probably not)? Which timing programs and input methods did he use (cloning or splitting)? What were his camera settings? He has other graphs for other charts up (some which are wrong according to posters here) - where are the input lag pictures for us to see ourselves?

Beyond all of that, there's the basic common sense test. Any gamer who has played stuff in Game Mode on this set will tell you there is no way that it has four frames of lag. That would be so blatantly obvious in that a lot of games would be unbearable. Every report posted here before my formal tests has been positive about the small amount of input lag on such a large HDTV.

I've played enough fighting games in high-level tournaments to tell you that the article is 100% bogus, and I have done enough detailed testing to back me up.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #921 of 3431 Old 10-29-2011, 02:12 PM

New question am waiting for delivery of my NX720 now and have heard alot of talk about the crosstalk on the 3D, Has anyone tried using the Monster RF 3D glasses, I read a couple of reviews saying that it eliminated the crosstalk issue completely but haven't actually heard that from anyone that has tried them. Apparently it takes the IR signal at source and transmits it out via RF eliminating all the blurring and ghosting. Was wondering if anyone in the forum has tried upgrading to these as they are kinda expensive and I don't tend to trust you tube reviews lol.

Any comments would be appreciated especially if you laid out the 250 dollars for the starter kit.
post #922 of 3431 Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Actually, the settings tend to vary more between individual samples than you might think.

I was wondering when you might chime in.... Based upon my last cailbration, I can't imagine that trying to tweak things based upon largely subjective assessments across sets that have inherent differences only lead to confusion and less than ideal results. It seems to me that when you spend a significant amount of coin on a set, putting up a small fraction to make sure the set can be as good as it can be in your environment makes good sense. I only wish my SXRD XBR2 had lasted a bit longer so that I could have enjoyed the picture that UMR had produced for me back in 2007. Hopefully this set lasts longer!

Jeff
post #923 of 3431 Old 10-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Hello everyone, I'm a new owner of a Sony 55 in EX720. This is my first flat panel TV (it's taken me about 5 years to finally get one!!) My issue is that I almost got the NX720 but figured I would try the EX first and see if I could live with it. I need some help...........is there a huge difference in the EX and NX? The sales rep said that the difference between Edge LED and Dynamic Edge LED was the frame (EX has the framing around the screen where the NX is flush) is this true? Also the Gorilla Glass doesnt change the picture, it's just harder to break. Bottom line, is it worth spending the extra $300 for the NX? Thanks in advance for all the help..............I feel that it was harder to decide on which new TV than it was getting married (lol).
post #924 of 3431 Old 10-30-2011, 02:46 PM

Yes, the NX is worth it unless you have a number of reflections to deal with.
Both are good sets, but side by side the NX was much better in color and blacks to my eyes.

If you need to minimize reflections don't get the NX.
post #925 of 3431 Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 AM

tried search, but cant find it...i have the nx720 46 inch, so there is NO sleep timer? the presence deal, forgot the whole name, is that it? the demo doesnt work that i can figure out, but when set in mild it has turned itself off twice with me in the room

confused. i want the tv to go off 1-2 hrs after I turn it on but i will be asleep in bed infront of it

i have a sound bar in front of the camera on front of panel which is what it uses to detect presence, so i doubt it will be able to detect anything, sure wish i could find a sleep timer
post #926 of 3431 Old 10-31-2011, 08:39 AM

Liked: 12
Sony KDL60XN720

I have setup the wireless for the TV. The set found my SSID, accepted by network's password and the set confirms the connection. I did a server search and the set found and confirmed my pc server by name. When I go to HOME/Media Video the set displays the server name but entering it results in a "Server not accessible" message. What am I doing wrong or haven't done?

In addition, I plugged an external USB hard drive into the TV but it appears that the TV doesn't see it. Any ideas? Tried bith USB ports.

PS: The iManual and Setup Guide are useless.
post #927 of 3431 Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmag View Post

Sony KDL60XN720

I have setup the wireless for the TV. The set found my SSID, accepted by network's password and the set confirms the connection. I did a server search and the set found and confirmed my pc server by name. When I go to HOME/Media Video the set displays the server name but entering it results in a "Server not accessible" message. What am I doing wrong or haven't done?

In addition, I plugged an external USB hard drive into the TV but it appears that the TV doesn't see it. Any ideas? Tried bith USB ports.

PS: The iManual and Setup Guide are useless.

i had to manually type in the coordinates or whatever they are called, two sets of long numbers...so mine doesnt work properly either
post #928 of 3431 Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM

I got my 55NX720 delivered on Friday and mounted it to my existing entertainment cabinet - I know, oldschool look.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the results so far. No issues with flashlighting. I am using a combination of Hires and Kerplunks settings. I will play around more.

Here are a few pics.

post #929 of 3431 Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCoastie View Post

Hello everyone, I'm a new owner of a Sony 55 in EX720. This is my first flat panel TV (it's taken me about 5 years to finally get one!!) My issue is that I almost got the NX720 but figured I would try the EX first and see if I could live with it. I need some help...........is there a huge difference in the EX and NX? The sales rep said that the difference between Edge LED and Dynamic Edge LED was the frame (EX has the framing around the screen where the NX is flush) is this true? Also the Gorilla Glass doesnt change the picture, it's just harder to break. Bottom line, is it worth spending the extra $300 for the NX? Thanks in advance for all the help..............I feel that it was harder to decide on which new TV than it was getting married (lol).

See the differences here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1943572&catId=

Looks like the NX is currently on sale for $400 LESS than the EX. The Gorilla glass does add glare, yes, but the film it is adhered with also increases contrast. The NX is thinner. The NX has a little more audio power. The NX's Glass makes it easier to keep clean. All my research lead me to the NX.
post #930 of 3431 Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM

nothing on sleep timer eh, i tried to find one, cant

bummer, this is my bedroom tv and i really need one

on first page here it says "auto shut off" wish i could find that

found it, man it is not easy though and you have to go thru several pages to get to it to set it, should just be a sleep switch on the remote, poor design for this option
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page