Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 3430 Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me if there is a noticable difference between 120hz and 240hz other than what I've read about people saying 240 is better for 3d? I'm trying to decide between the nx720 and the hx820. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 3430 Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 AM
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmag View Post

Sony KDL60XN720

I have setup the wireless for the TV. The set found my SSID, accepted by network's password and the set confirms the connection. I did a server search and the set found and confirmed my pc server by name. When I go to HOME/Media Video the set displays the server name but entering it results in a "Server not accessible" message. What am I doing wrong or haven't done?

In addition, I plugged an external USB hard drive into the TV but it appears that the TV doesn't see it. Any ideas? Tried bith USB ports.

PS: The iManual and Setup Guide are useless.

If you are using Windows, it is looking for Windows Media Player. You need to have it installed and have it set to share with the TV. In XP, you can do that under Library - Media Sharing. In Windows 7, I did it in Control Panel - Homegroup. Not sure on Vista. Media Player needs to know the folders where the video/photos are stored.
post #933 of 3430 Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc View Post

If you are using Windows, it is looking for Windows Media Player. You need to have it installed and have it set to share with the TV. In XP, you can do that under Library - Media Sharing. In Windows 7, I did it in Control Panel - Homegroup. Not sure on Vista. Media Player needs to know the folders where the video/photos are stored.

I'm using W7 and I'll give your suggestion a try.

In addition to not being able to access the server, the TV still doesn't see the drives installed in my PC through the network despite the TV giving me confirmation that it sees the network.
post #934 of 3430 Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Did any of you look at the XBR55HX929 before going with the NX720 series? Is there a noticeable pq? Is the motion blur more noticeable on the 720 series?
post #935 of 3430 Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1978 View Post

Did any of you look at the XBR55HX929 before going with the NX720 series? Is there a noticeable pq? Is the motion blur more noticeable on the 720 series?

I looked at the HX929 at a Sony Style store. The PQ on the 929 is better, based on 'Avatar' Which I'm sure won't be the only thing you watch on it. I saw and see no motion blur on either tv. I have MotionFlow OFF on my 60NX720 and see no mb, so if this is about MF 240 v 120 I personally don't see a benefit either way. If you are looking for a >60" and can afford the HX929 then do it. The NX is great, and the HX is great..plus a little more. If there was a 60/65" HX929 I would have gotten that instead.
post #936 of 3430 Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 PM

This may seem like a stupid question but I could use some help. I am choosing between 3 replacement tvs for my Bravia KDL52XBR9.

KDL55NX720 for $900
KDL55HX729 for $800

or I'm considering asking to upgrade to the KDL55HX929.

I'm not all that into 3D. Just want an excellent picture quality for sports and gaming.

Any advice? Which would you choose if you were me?

In addition if anyone else has had any experiences dealing with Sony and their replacements please send me a PM or respond on here. I'm interested to see if I'm getting the same offers as other people have recieved.

Thanks in advance.
post #937 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 06:12 AM

I have been shopping for a new hdtv. After looking at many I am honing in on the Sony lines, in 55".
I have pretty much made up my mind on the kdl55nx720, based on side by side comparisons of the actual sets, the higher end models didn't warrant the extra $, based on pq, gorilla glass is a 'must have' from my view.
post #938 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm40 View Post

This may seem like a stupid question but I could use some help. I am choosing between 3 replacement tvs for my Bravia KDL52XBR9.

KDL55NX720 for $900
KDL55HX729 for $800

or I'm considering asking to upgrade to the KDL55HX929.

I'm not all that into 3D. Just want an excellent picture quality for sports and gaming.

Any advice? Which would you choose if you were me?

In addition if anyone else has had any experiences dealing with Sony and their replacements please send me a PM or respond on here. I'm interested to see if I'm getting the same offers as other people have recieved.

Thanks in advance.

Free 55NX720 as a replacement for my broken 52XBR4. This was done as part of the swap program so I don't get to keep my old set. They intially offered me a $1600 purchase price for the 55NX720 and I would have kept my current set.

No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!
post #939 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjvh View Post

Free 55NX720 as a replacement for my broken 52XBR4. This was done as part of the swap program so I don't get to keep my old set. They intially offered me a $1600 purchase price for the 55NX720 and I would have kept my current set.

What was wrong with your old tv? Is the XBR4 a step down from the XBR9? How long ago did you do this replacement?
post #940 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:

What was wrong with your old tv?

Pink vertical line on the right side of the screen.

Quote:

Is the XBR4 a step down from the XBR9?

It's quite a bit older than the XBR9. I'm not familiar with the XBR9 at all so I really couldn't compare them with any accuracy. XBR4 is a CFFL backlight and XBR9 is LED I think?

Quote:

How long ago did you do this replacement?

Last week. Being delivered today.

post #941 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Pink vertical line on the right side of the screen.

It's quite a bit older than the XBR9. I'm not familiar with the XBR9 at all so I really couldn't compare them with any accuracy. XBR4 is a CFFL backlight and XBR9 is LED I think?

Last week. Being delivered today.

To be honest I'm pretty clueless when it comes to TVs. I wouldn't even know how to compare the two.

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the XBR4? When you purchased it?

Do you remember who you spoke with at Sony?

Thanks for all the info
post #942 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Was purchased in Jan 2008 for about 3800 if I remember correct. That was with the extended warranty.

I did not speak to any one person (although I tried). Always talked to a new person but they were all very good at knowing the status of the case.

They did not offer the free TV until I wrote them an email (in response to the offer of a 1600.00 discounted price) politely but firmly explaining my dissatisfaction and specifcally requesting it.

Of course I can in no way guarantee the same results and they are certainly under no legal obligation to do this for anyone. Luck of the draw i guess.

Only advice I can give is reply to the person you've been dealing with and ask. Nothing to lose. That's all I did.

post #943 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM

OK, i´m now an official nx720 owner but have one problem.
well...
1) the look of this tv is gorgeous.
2) picture quality on presets was really horrible (what´s wrong with sony?? most people don´t bother going deep into the picture settings...).
3) after calibration and and turning off motion flow crap etc. the picture was finally very nice.

but...
it was my belief that turning off motionflow (sony), auto motion (samsung), digital motion (philips), and whatever these things are called I would get rid of these horrible digital artifacts.

on the nx720, after turning everything off there is still sense of this effect which practically ruins about everything except bluerays (w. 1080p/24hz playback). My dvd collection is almost unplayable for me on this tv. which is absurd after spending alot of money for a tv.

is this because of 120hz(USA)/100hz(EU) panel or the x-reality chip?

after reading about this problem on the net i found 3 solutions
1) of course turn of motionflow, film mode etc. This works 90%.
2) force output of dvd´s (and other SD stuff ) to 1080i. Didn´t work for me.
3) Set sony scene preset to "Game mode". This actually did improve this.

but still have some amount of soapoperaeffect/videocameffect going on.
Is it possible to fix?? or do I need to sell the tv? get an old sony 50hz bx420?
post #944 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Okay guys as part of Sony's replacement program I can own the tv for $1100.00 or the 65HX929 for $4200.00.

Have any of you compared this tv to the HX series?

Not sure what to do.

Thanks
post #945 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Was purchased in Jan 2008 for about 3800 if I remember correct. That was with the extended warranty.

I did not speak to any one person (although I tried). Always talked to a new person but they were all very good at knowing the status of the case.

They did not offer the free TV until I wrote them an email (in response to the offer of a 1600.00 discounted price) politely but firmly explaining my dissatisfaction and specifcally requesting it.

Of course I can in no way guarantee the same results and they are certainly under no legal obligation to do this for anyone. Luck of the draw i guess.

Only advice I can give is reply to the person you've been dealing with and ask. Nothing to lose. That's all I did.

Do you recall who/what email address you wrote to when requesting the free TV?
post #946 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

Okay guys as part of Sony's replacement program I can own the tv for $1100.00 or the 65HX929 for $4200.00.

Have any of you compared this tv to the HX series?

Not sure what to do.

Thanks

Daz,
This is been covered in a number of thread recently.
Do a search and you will find what you are looking for.

nw
post #947 of 3430 Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post

Daz,
This is been covered in a number of thread recently.
Do a search and you will find what you are looking for.

nw

Just did a search for nx720 vs hx929 and nothing
post #948 of 3430 Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 PM

measured the response time (lag) on the nx720 (only for composite).
72ms and 34ms in game mode. just to calibrate guitar hero for the kids on wii. will check ps3 via hdmi later.
post #949 of 3430 Old 11-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1978 View Post

I was also worried about the blurring with the 720 series. However, after buying the NX rather than the HX929 and watching for two weeks, I can see no noticeable difference. Occasionally, yes; but rarely do I find anything distracting.
The other major difference, and again most of the time you won't notice it, is in the blacks. The NX is quite good; the HX929 is exceptional. You may notice it once in a while in dark movies, but most of the time you won't.
For the money, the NX is an exceptional buy.
Note: I have not watched the 3D and this wasn't a major factor for me.
post #950 of 3430 Old 11-05-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havx View Post

OK, i´m now an official nx720 owner but have one problem.
well...
1) the look of this tv is gorgeous.
2) picture quality on presets was really horrible (what´s wrong with sony?? most people don´t bother going deep into the picture settings...).
3) after calibration and and turning off motion flow crap etc. the picture was finally very nice.

but...
it was my belief that turning off motionflow (sony), auto motion (samsung), digital motion (philips), and whatever these things are called I would get rid of these horrible digital artifacts.

on the nx720, after turning everything off there is still sense of this effect which practically ruins about everything except bluerays (w. 1080p/24hz playback). My dvd collection is almost unplayable for me on this tv. which is absurd after spending alot of money for a tv.

is this because of 120hz(USA)/100hz(EU) panel or the x-reality chip?

after reading about this problem on the net i found 3 solutions
1) of course turn of motionflow, film mode etc. This works 90%.
2) force output of dvd´s (and other SD stuff ) to 1080i. Didn´t work for me.
3) Set sony scene preset to "Game mode". This actually did improve this.

but still have some amount of soapoperaeffect/videocameffect going on.
Is it possible to fix?? or do I need to sell the tv? get an old sony 50hz bx420?

I, too, have the 60 NX720, and I'm not noticing the problems you speak of. Maybe I'm lucky. No blooming, no panel crease, no artifacts. And for whatever reason, most of the factory pre-sets were decent enough. I'm tweaking, but nothing major until a little more burn in; and the TV has been quite watchable.
Note: I do run all my signals through an Integra 50.3 before they ever get to the TV. I'm sure the two video chips in the Integra may be helping.
Are you running the signals direct or through the AVR?
post #951 of 3430 Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysoul View Post

I was also worried about the blurring with the 720 series. However, after buying the NX rather than the HX929 and watching for two weeks, I can see no noticeable difference. Occasionally, yes; but rarely do I find anything distracting.
The other major difference, and again most of the time you won't notice it, is in the blacks. The NX is quite good; the HX929 is exceptional. You may notice it once in a while in dark movies, but most of the time you won't.
For the money, the NX is an exceptional buy.
Note: I have not watched the 3D and this wasn't a major factor for me.

I have to agree and I'm a guy that wants the best. Sony offered me the NX720 for $1200.00 and the 65HX929 for $4200.00.

I went to the Sony store and they said I should go for the NX720 and this was coming from the assistant manager. I wanted to see a difference between both sets and quite frankly I just couldn't. Not for that price!

If the difference had been noticeable I would have opted for the HX.

I bought a LX900, a Sony, and PQ is awesome and it's last years model.
post #952 of 3430 Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Liked: 11
JUst had my 60" NX720 calibrated by Jeff Meier today. Have been watching for the better part of the remainder of the day, and I am VERY satisfied with the picture quality at this point. His calibration is truly something special. He utilizes his own proprietary software along with state of the art measurement components, and the resulting picture is quite frankly like looking through a clear pane of glass at real life on the other side. Blacks are deep and featured. Colors pop but are natural in their presentation. No flashlighting. Simply natural in all aspects.

Highly recommend Jeff's services. Beyond a couple of hours of technical work, you get to have a very interesting conversation with a guy who has had an incredible amount of experience with all things audio and video and some very interesting clients.

No - this is not a commercial. Just a happy guy with a very nice TV. The NX720 is a great replacement for a formerly great SXRD XBR2. May it rest in peace.

Jeff
post #953 of 3430 Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

I have to agree and I'm a guy that wants the best. Sony offered me the NX720 for $1200.00 and the 65HX929 for $4200.00.

I went to the Sony store and they said I should go for the NX720 and this was coming from the assistant manager. I wanted to see a difference between both sets and quite frankly I just couldn't. Not for that price!

If the difference had been noticeable I would have opted for the HX.

I bought a LX900, a Sony, and PQ is awesome and it's last years model.

I was set on a 65HX929. A Sony Store rep made the same recommendation to me. I'm going to pick up a 60" around Black Friday. Hoping to find one for a great price. Glad to see all of the positive feedback.
post #954 of 3430 Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 PM

Yesterday I bought a 55NX720 with SU-B551S TV Stand and I have a problem: when commuting from one source to another the sound remains on the previous source and I have to stop/start the TV to have the right sound channel.
In this moment I have only 2 HDMI sources connected to NX720, a cable receiver and a media player.
Any idea? Thanks in advance.
Mario
post #955 of 3430 Old 11-06-2011, 07:15 PM

damn that Integra looks nice!

but yes, i´m playing dvd´s and bd from ps3 directly via hdmi.
it´s maybe not correct to call this artifacts. but if you have motionflow or film mode "ON" then these motion effects are happening. Some people like it and some don´t. others can´t see it. These motion gimmicks are on most tv´s sold today.

The problem I have is that even if I turn these things Off I call still see some motion artifacts f.ex when camera is panning horizontally and/or when big objects are moving.
This is definitely happening because the panel is 120/100hz and DVD´s were made for 60/50hz tv´s ?? or what.
and any ideas on how to fix??

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysoul View Post

I, too, have the 60 NX720, and I'm not noticing the problems you speak of. Maybe I'm lucky. No blooming, no panel crease, no artifacts. And for whatever reason, most of the factory pre-sets were decent enough. I'm tweaking, but nothing major until a little more burn in; and the TV has been quite watchable.
Note: I do run all my signals through an Integra 50.3 before they ever get to the TV. I'm sure the two video chips in the Integra may be helping.
Are you running the signals direct or through the AVR?

post #956 of 3430 Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 AM

I created the table below to help determine whether Scene Select changes anything beyond what is accessible to the user.

I set all of the user settings the same for each of the Scene Select settings and checked to determine whether there was any difference based on Scene Select. I did this by eye, using test patterns.

I only found 2 differences as noted beneath the table.

Has anyone else noted any other differences between then Scene Select settings when everything else is the same?

General Cinema Cinema Sports Music Animation Photo Game Game Graphics
Picture mode Custom Cinema1 Cinema2 Sports Custom Animation Custom Std Orig Graphics
Backlight 2
Picture max
Brightness 52 a
Color 52
Hue 0
Color Temp warm1 b
Sharpness Min
Noise reduction Off
Mpeg Off
Dot Off
Motion F Off
CineMotion Off
Advanced
Black Corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Off
Gamma min
Led Dynamic Low
Auto light limit Off
Clear white Off
Live color Off
Detail enhancer Off
Edge enhance Off
Skin naturalizer Off
i/p Conversion Quality
White balance
R-Gain 0
G-Gain -2
B-Gain 0
R-Bias 0
G-Bias -2
B-Bias 0
a-Sports seems to increase, perhaps crush blacks
b-Photo has a warmer color temp than others
c-UNVERIFIED - -Scene modes General to Animation allows all the backlight LED's to completely turn off. Scene modes Photo to Graphics leaves all the backlight LED's at a dim level and they don't completely turn off.
d-Note - ambient sensor and eco settings are OFF.
post #957 of 3430 Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting the KDL55NX720. I'm not really looking for 3d feature however I was looking for an Internet TV and after seeing the monolithic TVs at the store that's why I decided to get an NX instead of an EX series.

Now for my question, does the TV stream from a server? Right now I have the PS3 connected to my current TV on the main floor (and it streams from my server). Once I get the new TV, both the old TV and the PS3 will go to the basement. If the NX is able to stream from my server then there is no need for me to get another PS3 to connect to it.

So does it stream for a server? I use both TVsersity and PS3 Media server on my server to stream to the house.

Also how is the browser on it? Is is easy to navigate sites on it? Does the browser stream well from youtube and other sites?

Thanks
post #958 of 3430 Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can anyone comment on the picture uniformity with games? Specifically panning left to right in shooters and racing games. My hx909 does not have very good uniformity IMHO and when checking out the 46nx720 at Best buy it looked to have better uniformity then my 52hx909 . Any insight here?

Also if anyone can verify if the NX720 can do true 4:4:4 chroma ( in pc or game mode) ? ( the hx909 series did 4:4:4 correctly in game and pc mode)

How to check to see if the tv has the correct 4:4:4 chroma:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19349700
post #959 of 3430 Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterduke View Post

Also how is the browser on it? Is is easy to navigate sites on it? Does the browser stream well from youtube and other sites?
Thanks

The browser is pretty slow. Doesn't seem to accept flash, no ability to download anything.

Navigating is pretty slow, if there was a way to hook up a keyboard/mouse it could be better.
post #960 of 3430 Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havx View Post

damn that Integra looks nice!

but yes, i´m playing dvd´s and bd from ps3 directly via hdmi.
it´s maybe not correct to call this artifacts. but if you have motionflow or film mode "ON" then these motion effects are happening. Some people like it and some don´t. others can´t see it. These motion gimmicks are on most tv´s sold today. And makes it easier on non-experts like myself.

The problem I have is that even if I turn these things Off I call still see some motion artifacts f.ex when camera is panning horizontally and/or when big objects are moving.
This is definitely happening because the panel is 120/100hz and DVD´s were made for 60/50hz tv´s ?? or what.
and any ideas on how to fix??

I'm not an expert by any means, which is one reason I invested a little more time in research and a little more money in buying an "upscale" AVR.
With its video chips it semi-future proofs TVs coming out over the next several years.

So, I would look around (there are great boards here on AVRs), find one in my price range, and go for it. I would take one with the 4K chip capability built in. Even if they never mass produce those TVs in great quantity, it processes today's signals in a super way.
So let the AVR do all the work and let the TV be your display.
I don't think 5.1 or 7.1 should matter. Actually fewer features with better chips is a great way to go.
Hope you get it worked out.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page