Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3432 Old 11-12-2011, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin057 View Post

Hello,

I asked this one the EX thread, and I thought I would ask it here because you guys may have a better understanding:

I'm confused between ex720 and nx720. Would you happen to know if the only diff is wifi? Is the 3D just as bad? I read somewhere that the NX has a better way of edge-lighting or something.. I'm going batsy with all of this searching. Basically, I'm wondering if there is any different in PQ, etc. between the two.

I'm pretty sure I will buy the 55ex720 or 55nx720, and just looking for the deciding factor. If it's just WiFi, I'll go with whatever is cheaper.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.
Sabin

It's not just the WiFi that differentiates the two. The NX has the Gorilla Glass, local dimming and WiFi. There is a distinct difference in picture quality between the two from my evaluation of them side by side. Ultimately it's up to you determine whether the difference is significant enough to pay more for the NX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3432 Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post

EX720 is Edge LED; NX720 is Edge LED but adds local dimming feature. This should help alleviate some of the clouding and boost contrast ratio.

The design isn't the same as well between the 2 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclassic View Post

It's not just the WiFi that differentiates the two. The NX has the Gorilla Glass, local dimming and WiFi. There is a distinct difference in picture quality between the two from my evaluation of them side by side. Ultimately it's up to you determine whether the difference is significant enough to pay more for the NX.

I thank both of you very much. Local dimming on a edge-lit LED is just short of a must, from what I've read. I think i will be getting the NX.

ÂIt's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish. ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
post #993 of 3432 Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin057 View Post

I thank both of you very much. Local dimming on a edge-lit LED is just short of a must, from what I've read. I think i will be getting the NX.

I think you are making a wise choice. I was careful in my reply not to be blatantly biased toward the NX, because the EX is pretty good. I previously owned an EX and was not satisfied with it.

Good luck.
post #994 of 3432 Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 AM

I'm in the market for this TV. However, I'm concerned about the brightness of this TV.

Many times I like to see my TV with very high brightness. However, last night in Bestbuy I noticed that even the max brightness (in vivid mode) on the NX720 was below the level I'm used to on my current Sony wega trinitron 32" CRT. I know that's from like last millennium .

Anyways, in Bestbuy both the NX720 and Samsung UNC55D8000 were side by side and the samsung (and almost every other TV there) picture looked much brighter and something I prefer. I asked the BB guy if he could increase the brightness for the nx720 and he brought the remote and checked, it was already set for max brightness. I was so excited to buy this one until I saw the max brightness, since the picture looked a bit *dull/soft* to me. The bestbuy guy did say that it indeed is a bit little duller than the Samsung ones, but it represents natural true colors and picture quality is much better than Sumsung.

Both my wife and I like the look and style of this so much, but the max brightness kind of put me off. My wife still prefers the PQ of this one over the samsung.

Has anyone any comments on my observation above? Or is there any other setting that I could use to increase the brightness or make the picture more vibrant?

Thanks.
post #995 of 3432 Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal98 View Post

I'm in the market for this TV. However, I'm concerned about the brightness of this TV.

Many times I like to see my TV with very high brightness. However, last night in Bestbuy I noticed that even the max brightness (in vivid mode) on the NX720 was below the level I'm used to on my current Sony wega trinitron 32" CRT. I know that's from like last millennium .

Anyways, in Bestbuy both the NX720 and Samsung UNC55D8000 were side by side and the samsung (and almost every other TV there) picture looked much brighter and something I prefer. I asked the BB guy if he could increase the brightness for the nx720 and he brought the remote and checked, it was already set for max brightness. I was so excited to buy this one until I saw the max brightness, since the picture looked a bit *dull/soft* to me. The bestbuy guy did say that it indeed is a bit little duller than the Samsung ones, but it represents natural true colors and picture quality is much better than Sumsung.

Both my wife and I like the look and style of this so much, but the max brightness kind of put me off. My wife still prefers the PQ of this one over the samsung.

Has anyone any comments on my observation above? Or is there any other setting that I could use to increase the brightness or make the picture more vibrant?

Thanks.

I too have seen the Samsung and Sony side by side in Best Buy and made the same observation. I don't think a store environment is the best place to make an evaluation of this set's capabilities. A 55" TV is going to perform much differently inside your home. You also have to verify things like the backlight brightness setting, Eco mode, etc. whathifi.com did make note of this in the testing of a 46NX7, however.

I think you'll have a much different impression of this set once you have it set up in your home. I hope that helps.
post #996 of 3432 Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

At least with the D6000 series, I believe you wouldn't want it that bright anyway, with the known flashlighting issue. But I'm not 100% on the D8000.. sorry. Maybe someone can comment on that.

ÂIt's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish. ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
post #997 of 3432 Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal13 View Post

Hi dtc: I'm not sure if you got your MAC filtering working - if not, I had a similar problem and finally discovered the issue. The first MAC address shown on my TV network status page (before ever connecting to wireless) must have been the wired MAC. Thinking this was the only MAC address, I used it and could not get MAC filtering to work. After I turned off MAC filtering on my router, then connected the TV, I went back to network status and found a different MAC address listed on the status screen - apparently the wireless MAC. At any rate, I used this MAC and all is working great with filtering now back on.

Bingo!! I was getting the MAC address from Contact Sony, but once connected looking under Network Setup/Net Status I get a different MAC address. As you say, Contact Sony must be the hardwired one and the Network Setup/Status is the wireless one. Seems strange that you need to connect to the wireless in order be able to find the wireless MAC. But all is working now. THANKS!
post #998 of 3432 Old 11-12-2011, 01:38 PM
dtc

Quote:

Thanks.

To me, all the Samsung's look over brightly and slightly washed out. When you tame done the brightness, the detail and richness is just not as good as on the NX720. If the NX720 is noticeable less bright that the LGs, Sharps, Panasonic, etc., even on maximum brightness, there may be something wrong with the NX720 or with its setup. There are other setup options that could effect the brightness, not just the brightness setting. You might want to check out a different store for comparison. Another comparison is between the NX720 and the Panasonic plasmas, like the VT class. The Panasonics are somewhat richer with slightly better blacks, but I find them somewhat less bright than the NX720. If brightness is your thing, than Samsung may be the best option. But, as said, I find them bright but not as rich or detailed.
post #999 of 3432 Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Thanks.

I viewed the Sony 46NX723 today in my local store. Big 100watt bulbs above the tv. Tv set in Standard/Custom, backlight at 7 and motion flow set to clear plus (which dims the screen) and it looked plenty bright. Turned motion flow off and it stung my eyes it was so bright, i had to turn motion flow straight back on.

Aaron
post #1000 of 3432 Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
I currently have the 60 XBR2 and it is green again. So your take is that the picture is better or worse than the XBR2? Should I get the NX over the EX?
post #1001 of 3432 Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Thank you. I've had a great time fiddling with different settings and will try those.

Question to anyone reading this... will I be downgrading anything if I switch my digital cable box connection from HDMI to component video with optical audio out into my receiver? If I do that I will have more input channel flexibility to mix and match different video feeds with different audio feeds. Before I change it I want to know what I may be missing out on. I don't think any audio over the air is lossless, so perhaps there's no problem.

Mini review of my new NX720:

---
Motionflow (smooth) is an amazing feature. I tried it on the last Hulk movie (first the school courtyard battle scene, then the final battle) and was in awe of how smooth the action was. Football with this turned on had me speechless. I may never look at a non-Motionflow sporting event again.

After that I tried a few 3D scenes in movies and the 3D effect has been more impressive than I expected so far. Yeah some crosstalk and the image goes darker, but the actual effect is impressive (10' away from a 60" display). I'll try some PS3 3D games in the next day or two.

I haven't tested the lag numbers, but Game Mode is a significant improvement over the other options I tried. When I find some time I'll try to determine the actual figures, but my guess is that it's no more than two frames of lag in Game Mode with everything turned off.

I am helping someone who has ordered the 46NX720. They have an old sony STRK840P AVR with only coaxial and optical audio input. Their furniture does not allow a newer AVR. Will their be a bad lag in hooking the TV with HDMI Sony DLC-HE18BDT/C high speed ethernet cable and either coaxial or optical from their motorola comcast cable box?

How about using comcast ESPN3D and 3D on demand by replacing the motorola box with a 3D qualified cable box and the 840 AVR non-HDMI options above? Is lag with 3D even going to be worse?

Is Blu-ray/dvd's going to have visible audio sync lag hooking up TV with same model HDMI cable and non-HDMI 840 AVR audio setup? Is Game mode or sending audio from TV direct to AVR the only way to avoid the lag with Blu-ray/dvd's? Is Blu-Ray/dvd lag going to be noticeable unless I take these steps?

Would the HDMI TV - TV audio to AVR receiver lose the 5.1 audio for Blu-ray/dvd's? Would there also be lost for motorola comcast 5.1 shows and movies with this direct setup?
post #1002 of 3432 Old 11-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Hey everyone.

I just bought an 55 inch NX720 over the past week, and I've noticed that the tv is really slow to start up the firmware. When I turn the tv the picture comes on quickly and I can change the channel up or down, but I can't change the input, punch in a specific channel or access the home screen until 30-60 seconds have passed. Is this normal or do I have something defective? Is there a setting maybe that I can change to have a faster startup?
post #1003 of 3432 Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanalltogether View Post

Hey everyone.

I just bought an 55 inch NX720 over the past week, and I've noticed that the tv is really slow to start up the firmware. When I turn the tv the picture comes on quickly and I can change the channel up or down, but I can't change the input, punch in a specific channel or access the home screen until 30-60 seconds have passed. Is this normal or do I have something defective? Is there a setting maybe that I can change to have a faster startup?

That sounds about right. My TV is the one yr older 60EX700 and that's how it does. Think of a computer booting up...just about the same way. If you have a thumb drive connected, it will even tell you that it found it, at boot-up.
post #1004 of 3432 Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM

So $1545 for the 60NX720. It seems like a good price. Will this TV actually last? The track record on the SXRD was not good 1-2 years each time. Not to mention bulbs. Although never actually bought the bulbs. Both TV's had extra bulb included. The street price seems to be almost $2500. Any advice.
post #1005 of 3432 Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 PM

I just got the 60NX720 as a replacement for a 60" SXRD XBR1. I'm very impressed with this new set! Like many others, I had been concerned about how it would compare to my old SXRD - for me, it's been a very positive change. Just running with pretty much the default settings it has so much more contrast, brighter picture, realistic colors, very black blacks, motion seems perfect, all the net apps work as anticipated, there's a bit more reflection but not bothersome to us, and beautiful to look at on or off. I've also not observed any unusual artifacts such as flashligting. The stand feels a bit flimsy but actually works fine. Wifi works very well, but took a bit of experimenting to get MAC filtering operational due to dual MAC addresses. I've not tried 3D (this is a low priority for me).
I matched the Sony up with a Yamaha RX-V871 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT310. They all have HDMI 1.4 and their CEC communication between devices/remotes (once its set up) works great and is quite impressive on a feature like PIP/PAP where the audio is seamlessly swithed between the two TV windows from different input sources on the AVR.
Hopefully I'll get some time to try a few of the calibrations others in the forum have suggested. In the mean time, though, I'm quite happy with the 60NX720.
post #1006 of 3432 Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:

I just got the 60NX720 as a replacement for a 60" SXRD XBR1. I'm very impressed with this new set! Like many others, I had been concerned about how it would compare to my old SXRD - for me, it's been a very positive change. Just running with pretty much the default settings it has so much more contrast, brighter picture, realistic colors, very black blacks, motion seems perfect, all the net apps work as anticipated, there's a bit more reflection but not bothersome to us, and beautiful to look at on or off. I've also not observed any unusual artifacts such as flashligting. The stand feels a bit flimsy but actually works fine. Wifi works very well, but took a bit of experimenting to get MAC filtering operational due to dual MAC addresses. I've not tried 3D (this is a low priority for me).
I matched the Sony up with a Yamaha RX-V871 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT310. They all have HDMI 1.4 and their CEC communication between devices/remotes (once its set up) works great and is quite impressive on a feature like PIP/PAP where the audio is seamlessly swithed between the two TV windows from different input sources on the AVR.
Hopefully I'll get some time to try a few of the calibrations others in the forum have suggested. In the mean time, though, I'm quite happy with the 60NX720.

Glad to read the news. Awaiting delivery of mine. I hope to have it by the weekend. I'm going to match mime up to a Pana BDT210 and Onkyo TX-NR708. I'll definitely give CEC a try.

Are you running your NX and 310 over WiFi or Ethernet? I have both options available to me so there will be no issue there unless I want to keep my Onkyo plugged in via Ethernet since I have too many wired devices for my router to accommodate.
post #1007 of 3432 Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclassic View Post

Are you running your NX and 310 over WiFi or Ethernet? I have both options available to me so there will be no issue there unless I want to keep my Onkyo plugged in via Ethernet since I have too many wired devices for my router to accommodate.

I've got the NX and 310 on wifi and the Yamaha is wired.
post #1008 of 3432 Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 PM

My offer was signed and sent in for the NX720 today and now all I have to do is wait. I just couldn't bring myself to pay extra for the HX929.
post #1009 of 3432 Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:

I've got the NX and 310 on wifi and the Yamaha is wired.

Thanks! I'll go with probably run wires on them both, but nice to know they haven't presented any issues over wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

My offer was signed and sent in for the NX720 today and now all I have to do is wait. I just couldn't bring myself to pay extra for the HX929.

Congrats. I had the same feeling about the HX9, especially with the high return rate on the 55". I would have been out of my mind to pay even the sale price for the 65".
post #1010 of 3432 Old 11-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

My offer was signed and sent in for the NX720 today and now all I have to do is wait.

Hopefully you won't have to wait long. I put my paperwork in the mail on a Tuesday and the NX arrived at my house the following Tuesday.
post #1011 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krause28 View Post

I currently have the 60 XBR2 and it is green again. So your take is that the picture is better or worse than the XBR2? Should I get the NX over the EX?

NX. You won't be sorry.
post #1012 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krause28 View Post

So $1545 for the 60NX720. It seems like a good price. Will this TV actually last? The track record on the SXRD was not good 1-2 years each time. Not to mention bulbs. Although never actually bought the bulbs. Both TV's had extra bulb included. The street price seems to be almost $2500. Any advice.

Mine was $1,075 + tax as a replacement for the 60XBR2. Your quote is high.
post #1013 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 07:52 AM

How long ago? I would like to go back at them...
post #1014 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCar View Post

Mine was $1248.00 with tax and that's Canadian. All offers are suppose to be the same. I challenged Sony on their offer on the HX929 and that's what they told me, but it isn't true.

Your offer is high though.
post #1015 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Just wondering if anyone knows what the firmware update that came out today addressed ...
post #1016 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCar View Post

I was offered the NX720 for 1,545 + tax as well today. This would be a replacement for the KDS-R60XBR2.
post #1017 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post

I was offered the NX720 for 1,545 + tax as well today. This would be a replacement for the KDS-R60XBR2.

Just an FYI Sony changed their repalcement plan the beginning of November. So if you engaged them beofre Oct 27th you were getting more aggressive prices. Post that date the prices are higher. They actually suspended the program for a few days then brought it back. I have a friend whos TV went green last week and his price is also $1545 where my price was the old price. Good luck fighting for a better price and pelase post if you are successful. My firned has had no luck at all.
post #1018 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd523 View Post

Just an FYI Sony changed their repalcement plan the beginning of November. So if you engaged them beofre Oct 27th you were getting more aggressive prices. Post that date the prices are higher. They actually suspended the program for a few days then brought it back. I have a friend whos TV went green last week and his price is also $1545 where my price was the old price. Good luck fighting for a better price and pelase post if you are successful. My firned has had no luck at all.

That explains things because they wanted $4200.00 with tax. My NX720 offer was back in May and I just accepted it.
post #1019 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 PM

I assume you meant $1200 with tax not $4200 LOL I didnt get to play with it yet as the delivery guy ran late earlier today and i had to go back to work. So I'm currently chomping at the bit to get home and start fiddling with it. Of course of all nights the darling bride called and said she needs to go shopping for something tonight... Looks liek the kids will be set up with a movie in the playroom while dad is hard at work enjoying the new toy
post #1020 of 3432 Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd523 View Post

I assume you meant $1200 with tax not $4200 LOL I didnt get to play with it yet as the delivery guy ran late earlier today and i had to go back to work. So I'm currently chomping at the bit to get home and start fiddling with it. Of course of all nights the darling bride called and said she needs to go shopping for something tonight... Looks liek the kids will be set up with a movie in the playroom while dad is hard at work enjoying the new toy

Sorry, the HX929 is what I was referring to.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page