Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good morning guys I'm looking at 55" tv's for my wife's grandma and being a hx800 owner I've been looking at the NX720, but I've also been comparing it to a UN55D8000Y. Just can't decide between the two. I'm sure I'm going to get sony biased answers in this thread but want honest opinions. So any information would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

Mine was $1248.00 with tax and that's Canadian. All offers are suppose to be the same. I challenged Sony on their offer on the HX929 and that's what they told me, but it isn't true.

How was your experience with Sony Canada? Was it all email, all telephone or a combination?

I sent them email on November 25 telling them of my problem with a return of green on my 2005 KDS60XBR1. (I paid $5953 plus taxes. It kind of scares me just typing how much I paid for that TV and how little we have watched it.)

Anyway, I'm hoping for a painless process with Sony Canada. I'm guessing they asked for emailed photos of the screen showing the problem along with a photo of the serial number plate? I still have my original invoice as well.
post #1083 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom203r View Post

Ok so I was not planning on doing any black Friday shopping however, I happen to stop into P.C.richards last night to keep my girlfriend company. I've been wanting to buy a 60in tv for a renovated family room but wasn't in no rush to buy. I go to take a look @ the 60kdl720 and there was a sticker price of 2000.00. I was like wow that's a great price and decided that that deal was to good to pass up. Well they didnt have any in stock but there was one in an other state that they could have shipped to the store. When they go to ring me out it turns out that that stick price was not supposed to be on that TV but since it was there mistake they will honor the price. I'm super happy with the deal but, I usually dont buy extended warranties but not sure if I should buy one reading of so many people get screwed buying high end tvs then crapping out in a few years...Any opinions or advice????

That's way too good deal to pass up on such a beautiful TV. Congratulations!
post #1084 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega045 View Post

There I think that Picture worked

Welcome and congratulations! This really is a great panel. I've had mine a week and a half and couldn't be happier. Like you, I need to work on finding the right settings.
post #1085 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicanuck View Post

How was your experience with Sony Canada? Was it all email, all telephone or a combination?

I sent them email on November 25 telling them of my problem with a return of green on my 2005 KDS60XBR1. (I paid $5953 plus taxes. It kind of scares me just typing how much I paid for that TV and how little we have watched it.)

Anyway, I'm hoping for a painless process with Sony Canada. I'm guessing they asked for emailed photos of the screen showing the problem along with a photo of the serial number plate? I still have my original invoice as well.

You will have to remove the entire label that contains the serial number and model number and mail that along with actual photos of the issues. They won't allow you to e-mail them. I would advise you take a photo of the label before trying to remove it, in case it gets damaged.
When removing the label, use a blow dryer or a heat gun. I used a heat gun and a credit card to remove my label.
post #1086 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Liked: 14
What are your guy's thoughts between this NX720 and the HX729? Was pretty much sold on the 55NX720 and went in to best buy today to take a look and they've got the HX729's for quite a bit cheaper and the guy in the Magnolia dept was telling me the HX had better PQ.

Now, when I looked at them, I thought the NX had deeper blacks and LOVE the monolithic design, but not 240 Hz like the HX. Not sure how much that matters for me though. And from everything I've read, not sure what about the HX would indicate better PQ except the 240 Hz. Anyone have experience with both and can elaborate?
post #1087 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz101 View Post

My favorites:
PS3 Media Server is on the top of the list hxxp://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum

Fuppes site is down right now. Probably the lowest footprint of the three
hxxp://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de

TVersity hxxp://tversity.com

All of them run on Windows- the 1st 2 can run on Linux and Mac's. At least the 1st one can run on a Mac since it's java based.

I've used all 3 and drifted my preferences to be in this order with PS3 Media Server my top preference. They all handle most codecs. Each have their settings that you'll likely want to dig through once you have it up and running.

Is it necessary to have a PS3 to use the PS3 media server software?
I know that may sound like a silly question, but I am looking to play mkvs of my backed up 3d blu rays. At the ridiculously high premium, the kids are not gettting their hands on the 3d disks.

I have a couple of options:
1) Make a desktop PC intop the DLNA server for 3d MKVs - What is the best software?
(I dont have a PS3, I want to browse direct from the TV)

2)I could store the MKVs on a USB hard Drive and plug that directly into the USB on the TV. Question is: will the TV play 3d MKV files this way? Any special formatting I need to do?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
post #1088 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd523 View Post

Is it necessary to have a PS3 to use the PS3 media server software?
I know that may sound like a silly question, but I am looking to play mkvs of my backed up 3d blu rays. At the ridiculously high premium, the kids are not gettting their hands on the 3d disks.

I have a couple of options:
1) Make a desktop PC intop the DLNA server for 3d MKVs - What is the best software?
(I dont have a PS3, I want to browse direct from the TV)

2)I could store the MKVs on a USB hard Drive and plug that directly into the USB on the TV. Question is: will the TV play 3d MKV files this way? Any special formatting I need to do?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

You don't need a PS3 to run the media server software. It's intended for the PS3 to play a broader range of media formats than what Sony allows. The same holds true for most DLNA devices offered by major manufacturers. Therefore, it should allow you to view a broader range of media content on your NX.
post #1089 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Combination of emails and calls. Call their support number and they will open a case file and email you the paperwork. Just be polite and they will be more than happy to help.

Photos as you indicated along with a scan of the receipt. Pretty painless and the NX is nice. HX is nice too but not worth the $3000.00 difference when it's not perfect.
post #1090 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

Combination of emails and calls. Call their support number and they will open a case file and email you the paperwork. Just be polite and they will be more than happy to help.

Photos as you indicated along with a scan of the receipt. Pretty painless and the NX is nice. HX is nice too but not worth the $3000.00 difference when it's not perfect.

Thanks for the response. I phoned today. They gave me a file number and asked that I email photos of the screen and the serial number panel. I sent a half-dozen screen shots along with the serial number panel. Here are a couple of samples of the screen shots. I'm guessing they'll be convinced there is a problem.
LL
LL
post #1091 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW! You TV lookes like mine did, always made me hungry for a nice avocado and french bread sandwich. I got the OB fixed and now it's seeing light duty in the bedroom.
post #1092 of 3431 Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Hello all...picked up a 55nx720 over the weekend. I love the look of the tv, but I can't seem to get a picture I am happy with. The picture doesn't seem quite crisp and clear no matter what I do. If it was an old projection I would swear I needed to reset my convergence. Seems worse on 720p sources(espn) than others. The picture on my 52 xbr3 seems crisper. Anybody else experience this? Maybe I just need to keep playing....
post #1093 of 3431 Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I phoned today. They gave me a file number and asked that I email photos of the screen and the serial number panel. I sent a half-dozen screen shots along with the serial number panel. Here are a couple of samples of the screen shots. I'm guessing they'll be convinced there is a problem.

Yes, it's like mine but yours is worse.
post #1094 of 3431 Old 11-29-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

Just wanted to throw some post ISF calibration settings out there (Done today)...Remember, no two displays will ever respond excactly the same. It's easy to control the lighting in my viewing enviornment, calibration done in a room with a 4 light intensity on a scale of 1 - 10..

Custom

Backlight - 3

Picture - 84

Brightness - 51

Color - 54

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Warm 2

Sharpness - 18

Noise, MPEG, DOT, Motionflow, Cinemotion - ALL OFF

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Black Corrector - OFF

ADV Contrast Enh - OFF

Gamma - 0

LED Dynamic - Standard

Auto Light - OFF

Clear White - OFF

Live Color - OFF

White Balance

R Gain -2 (Negative 2)
G Gain -5 (Negative 5)
B Gain -1 (Negative 1)

R Bias -1 (Negative 1)
G Bias 0
B Bias 0

Detail Enhancer - OFF

Edge Enhancer - OFF

Skin Naturalizer - OFF

i/p Conversion Preference - Quality

Biggest change - Color temp was at 9500K Pre-Cal, is now 6500K across the board...

Give it a shot, alway's fun to TWEAK !!!!

Looking good to me !!

EDIT: The only variance in input settings is the Sharpness on the Oppo - BDP93 input, 11 vs 18.

Knopper try these settings.

TweakerInWA,

Thanks for posting these settings. My Disney WOW disc got me very close to these, but I had cool selected, brighter, and my backlight was 8.

These settings are perfect thanks!
post #1095 of 3431 Old 11-29-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal98 View Post

Hello All,

Just got my 55" model yesterday and can't stop looking at the TV. It totally changed the way our apartment looks now. As my wife put it - "It looks royal" . It's very neat and thin.

Anyways, I tried playing some mkv files (mpeg4) and it just won't play anything. I kind of knew that before buying this, still wanted to ask the experts here if there is a way to stream such files from my computer over DLNA.

Btw, one thing I don't like about this TV is that many times it's slow to respond to the remote commands. Especially, if the TV is off for few hours and if you turn it on, nothing on the remote works I think for 20-30 seconds. That's very annoying.

My set is up and running in about 9 seconds.
post #1096 of 3431 Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 AM

When I brought TV home and tried to put it in the Monolithic Audio System Stand the TV went down really quickly when I put it on the neck and let it go down. I am scared that I broke something... It was noisy but I think Stand should be designed to not break TV or what?

What about Distance sensor? When my daughter come near television one time it turns on and the other time not... And then one time when she goes away it turns off and the other time not and I have to turn on TV again... Do you have some experience with it? I also noticed it doesn't work at night but otherwise very clever function...
post #1097 of 3431 Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick993 View Post

Good morning guys I'm looking at 55" tv's for my wife's grandma and being a hx800 owner I've been looking at the NX720, but I've also been comparing it to a UN55D8000Y. Just can't decide between the two. I'm sure I'm going to get sony biased answers in this thread but want honest opinions. So any information would be great.

I have tended toward Sony products having a 60" and two 32" Sony TVs as well as a Sony AVR, but I'm not religious about brand choice.

I haven't yet negotiated with Sony for a KDL60NX720 to replace my green screen KDS60RXBR1. I don't doubt that I will be happy with it if I am able to obtain it. In the meantime, with the XBR1 effectively unviewable, I picked up a Samsung PN51D550. This is a plasma screen and a bit smaller than your 55" plan. On the other hand, I have found the picture to be very pleasing and the setup easy.

Granny might well enjoy this Samsung just as much as your planned Sony purchase. I picked up the Samsung at a local B&M (Visions.ca) for about one-third the price of the 55D720 on the Sony.ca website.
post #1098 of 3431 Old 11-30-2011, 03:00 PM

Liked: 14
Do must of you turn off the ECO Auto Light adjustment? It's a hard to find setting since it's not in the normal picture adjustments but adjusts the brightness of the tv based on room lighting.

I found it a few weeks after I got this tv. I turned it off and my tv got super bright(backlight is around 6 off the top of my head). Since I calibrated with it "on" before, I just set it back to off for now.
post #1099 of 3431 Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzies View Post

Do must of you turn off the ECO Auto Light adjustment? It's a hard to find setting since it's not in the normal picture adjustments but adjusts the brightness of the tv based on room lighting.

I found it a few weeks after I got this tv. I turned it off and my tv got super bright(backlight is around 6 off the top of my head). Since I calibrated with it "on" before, I just set it back to off for now.

Mine's off and Sony store guy said turn it off.
post #1100 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Hello All,

After installing the latest firmware (PKG3.705AAA) on my 60NX720, the control of devices through HDMI has stopped working.

I have reset my TV and devices to factory defaults. I have enabled HDMI control on the TV and devices but nothing is working.

When I try and view HDMI devices, nothing shows up. The devices I have are a Sony sound bar (CT-350) and a Samsung Bluray.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave
post #1101 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

I see my 60 inch went out for delivery 25 minutes ago. Should be here in a couple of hours or so. I guess I won't be getting any work done today. Yee Haa! Now I'm Excited!
post #1102 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobydoo View Post

I see my 60 inch went out for delivery 25 minutes ago. Should be here in a couple of hours or so. I guess I won't be getting any work done today. Yee Haa! Now I'm Excited!

I'm also excited, just got the call from PC Richards that my 60in is in and ready for pick up...I'm heading there right after work....
post #1103 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM

OK..so my first impressions. I just received this as a part of the replacement program. I had a SXRD 60XBR2. To be honest, the picture was not too impressive when first turned on. After digging I found the Vivid setting which my XBR2 had, and that did help. But the picture was lifeless, grey without it. Second thing, I really seemed that with MotionFlow, Cinema turned on that the motion was very awkward. People move in a weird fashion. Is that just me? Last amazing I can't seem to get WIFI working, even though I have multiple devices using it today. Including the PS3. Same company, ???? Is something wrong with this integrated WIFI? I will have more, but at first glance, I am not blown away. I plan on trying to fix the SXRD to see if I can get more time out of it.
post #1104 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclassic View Post

You don't need a PS3 to run the media server software. It's intended for the PS3 to play a broader range of media formats than what Sony allows. The same holds true for most DLNA devices offered by major manufacturers. Therefore, it should allow you to view a broader range of media content on your NX.

I just hooked my Sony BDPs480 up for a few minutes the other night. Its actually a Christmas gift, so I just did a quick test before re-boxing and then my wife wrapped it up to prevent any further experiments

Findings:
I was able to watch a 12gb 3d MKV via 16gb flash drive through the Bluray player on my Sony 3D nx720. The Flash Drive was formatted NTFS due to the size of the MKV and it played flawlessly.
Unfortunately the nx720 TV does not recognize an NTFS formatted drive or maybe I would have been able to play it straight through the TV? curious if anyone has tired that?

I was able to stream mkv file from a hard wired PC over the network through the BDPs480 player as well as directly through the NX720tv.
I streamed both an HD MKV and a 3D MKV for about 10 minutes each. Both played, however they did hiccup every here and there, but that's probably due to the slower desktop PC acting as a media server.

QUESTION:
I am waiting on a Segate 1.5tb drive that I am hoping this player will recognize through the USB port. I would like to store all the mkvs on that drive and turn off the media PC all together. Anyone have any experience with that? Or with getting this TV to recognize a usb hard drive and play MKVs.

Im guessing no on the last parts since the TV doesnt seem to recognize NTFS formatted drives.
post #1105 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by krause28 View Post

OK..so my first impressions. I just received this as a part of the replacement program. I had a SXRD 60XBR2. To be honest, the picture was not too impressive when first turned on. After digging I found the Vivid setting which my XBR2 had, and that did help. But the picture was lifeless, grey without it. Second thing, I really seemed that with MotionFlow, Cinema turned on that the motion was very awkward. People move in a weird fashion. Is that just me? Last amazing I can't seem to get WIFI working, even though I have multiple devices using it today. Including the PS3. Same company, ???? Is something wrong with this integrated WIFI? I will have more, but at first glance, I am not blown away. I plan on trying to fix the SXRD to see if I can get more time out of it.

Vivid setting.....really...

Have you switched off the energy saving features in the system menu? That will brighten the pictures up some what.

Aaron
post #1106 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Ive had my set for 2 weeks now and its only now that Ive got my setting dialed in to nearly perfect that Im happy with the TV. We were watching last night and my wife finally remarked "This TV blows away the old one" Whatever you did in the settings, it finally looks terrific"
Ironically, I am sure I will still tewak a setting or two before Im fully satisfied but Im pretty close to where I think I will keep it. Im not stressing too much becasue you really cant be done until they get a full couple of months burn in. Then you can go back and re-tweak again.
Good luck with the new set!
post #1107 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Turn OFF ECO Autolight as well as Ambient Sensor. Next, check some of the owners post above. In particular, look at the settings by...

Originally Posted by TweakerInWA
"Just wanted to throw some post ISF calibration settings out there (Done today)...Remember, no two displays will ever respond excactly the same. It's easy to control the lighting in my viewing enviornment, calibration done in a room with a 4 light intensity on a scale of 1 - 10.."

Set your TV the way he did and see if that improves your PQ. Your goal should be to get a NATURAL looking picture and NOT the biggest bang offered.

Good luck and enjoy your new TV.
post #1108 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Vivid setting.....really...

Have you switched off the energy saving features in the system menu? That will brighten the pictures up some what.

Aaron

Try these settings.

Custom

Backlight - 3

Picture - 84

Brightness - 51

Color - 54

Hue - 0

Color Temp - Warm 2

Sharpness - 18

Noise, MPEG, DOT, Motionflow, Cinemotion - ALL OFF

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Black Corrector - OFF

ADV Contrast Enh - OFF

Gamma - 0

LED Dynamic - Standard

Auto Light - OFF

Clear White - OFF

Live Color - OFF

White Balance

R Gain -2 (Negative 2)
G Gain -5 (Negative 5)
B Gain -1 (Negative 1)

R Bias -1 (Negative 1)
G Bias 0
B Bias 0

Detail Enhancer - OFF

Edge Enhancer - OFF

Skin Naturalizer - OFF

i/p Conversion Preference - Quality
post #1109 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks...will do. I usually will tweak, I just did not have time last night. But it surprises me that by default, they send it out like this. I can't imagine anyone being happy with that. And most people don't like messing with settings, afraid to screw it up. There really should be 5 or 6 default configs (that were created by a proper professional with proper tools). Dark Room, Room with Windows, etc...But for now..I will take some of these tips. I am looking for the menu. Don't turn green in 1 year. I will last longer than 1 year. Sony will call you if there is replacement program before you realize it is too late menu. In the imanual the direct cell phone of the CEO?? OK..I am being sarcastic, but still trying to understand why I blew $5500 on my SXRD. I am optimistic at moment though.
post #1110 of 3431 Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks...will do. I usually will tweak, I just did not have time last night. But it surprises me that by default, they send it out like this. I can't imagine anyone being happy with that. And most people don't like messing with settings, afraid to screw it up. There really should be 5 or 6 default configs (that were created by a proper professional with proper tools). Dark Room, Room with Windows, etc...But for now..I will take some of these tips. I am looking for the menu. Don't turn green in 1 year. I will last longer than 1 year. Sony will call you if there is replacement program before you realize it is too late menu. In the imanual the direct cell phone of the CEO?? OK..I am being sarcastic, but still trying to understand why I blew $5500 on my SXRD. I am optimistic at moment though.

Just bookmark the I HAVE A DEFECTIVE SONY TV page on Facebook. The TV has facebook access so thats as close to you will find it in the menu. LOL
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page