Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 3430 Old 12-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eabrego67 View Post

Any body have anything for me. I tried the CNET settings yesterday but am still on the fence.

Thanks
EA

Go back to page 7 of this thread and try the different settings there. A lot of it is personal preference, but most would say factory vivid is horrible. I scaled vivid down a little and now I rather like it. Very bright an impressive when people come over. I prefer the CNET settings for most of my watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3430 Old 12-09-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks will do... So far the CNET settings are working but I believe it can get better.

EA
post #1173 of 3430 Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 PM

I have a question, and sorry if this has been answered already but I can't find anything on it.

Y'know how when you shut off you tv, the screen will go black and after like, I dunno, 15 seconds or so you'll hear that tiny click noise? I take that to mean the tv has just went into standby mode. Well, my tv seems to just be randomly doing that. For example, I was watching tv about three hours ago, and I just heard it do the click.

Anyone know why this would be happening? Is it something I should be concerned about? And is there some setting I should change to make it so this doesn't happen?
post #1174 of 3430 Old 12-10-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I got my 60NX720 delivered yesterday. This is one amazing TV. I am still dialing it in, but so far:
- no flashlighting/clouding
- no DSE
- no "crease" unless I go about 1" from the screen and only then I can barely see it

I would say the stand is not great (as expected) and the TV is a little more reflective in my room than it looked in the store, but no biggie.

When you get a good HD source like Blu-Ray, or some of the better cable channels...this TV really is like looking through a window. I was sitting around yesterday with a big sh!t eating grin on my face just enjoying myself with this thing. I am so glad I canceled the 65HX929 and went with this set. No way could that 65HX929 have been worth twice the price.
post #1175 of 3430 Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 AM
sz8

Thanks for replying. I know the tv is capable of having different settings
for each input source. But the question I have is that the recommanded
settings post here or from CNET never mentioned what input source
the settings are for.

So, I assume the settings are good (or a starting point) for all sources.
But then, with my HTPC, the settings is not as good as "standard" mode.
But then what about bluray player? (I don't have bluray player yet, but
thought it would have the similar picture adjustment).

Since I rarely watch OTA programs and mostly watch recorded programs
from my HTPC, I am trying to figure out how to adjust the TV in such
a case.

Thanks again.

SZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobydoo View Post

Each HDMI input has its own settings as does TV.

post #1176 of 3430 Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz8 View Post

Thanks for replying. I know the tv is capable of having different settings
for each input source. But the question I have is that the recommanded
settings post here or from CNET never mentioned what input source
the settings are for.

So, I assume the settings are good (or a starting point) for all sources.
But then, with my HTPC, the settings is not as good as "standard" mode.
But then what about bluray player? (I don't have bluray player yet, but
thought it would have the similar picture adjustment).

Since I rarely watch OTA programs and mostly watch recorded programs
from my HTPC, I am trying to figure out how to adjust the TV in such
a case.

Thanks again.

SZ

Any setting is going to be a starting point. I think most recommendations are TV input. I run everything through my receiver to HDMI 1. If there is any difference between DVD or DirecTV, it is very subtle. Same with my TV input from Comcast.

The thing that bothers me is having to change settings depending on how much light is coming into the room. Something I never had to do with the SXRD. Still working on finding a happy medium.
post #1177 of 3430 Old 12-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Hello everybody: I just bought (yesterday) a KDL46NX720 because apparently (according to reviews) it is very good, but it looks pixelated and the worst part it looks in fast forward, I went through all the possible settings but didn't find anything, does anyone know hot to turn this feature off? I believe it has to do with the Mhertz.
post #1178 of 3430 Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 PM

I didn't see this asked but anyone know of a way to turn off the illuminated Sony logo?
post #1179 of 3430 Old 12-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Liked: 13
Settings->Preferences->Front panel illumination
post #1180 of 3430 Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 AM

I just received my 60" NX720 as a replacement for my optical block problem KDS60A2000. I am very happy with the quality of the picture and pleased with the way Sony dealt with me. I am still learning how to use the wired operations of the set and I have a couple of questions. I am able to look at photos from my computer because when I go into media/pictures I see my computer as a selection. However when I go to media/music all I see is a "?" and "samples". Why don't I see my computer there?

Also, when I connect my iPhone to the USB connection and try to view my media through the TV, it does not recognize my phone.

I appreciate any help.
post #1181 of 3430 Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesbrojim View Post

I just received my 60" NX720 as a replacement for my optical block problem KDS60A2000. I am very happy with the quality of the picture and pleased with the way Sony dealt with me. I am still learning how to use the wired operations of the set and I have a couple of questions. I am able to look at photos from my computer because when I go into media/pictures I see my computer as a selection. However when I go to media/music all I see is a "?" and "samples". Why don't I see my computer there?

Also, when I connect my iPhone to the USB connection and try to view my media through the TV, it does not recognize my phone.

I appreciate any help.

When I go to media/picture, music or video/computer. All I get is music on all three.
post #1182 of 3430 Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Occasional I hear some harshment sound from monolithic stand when someone speaks... Is this normal?
post #1183 of 3430 Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesbrojim View Post

I appreciate any help.

TV recognizes media storage devices formatted FAT32 only.
post #1184 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 AM

I have a new 60NX720 and I need some recommendations for connecting all my devices together. I have a Yamaha RX-V665 A/V receiver, Cisco HD/DVR cable box (Comcast xfinity), xBox360, and PS3 ... my question ... should everything connect to my receiver and then use one HDMI cable to my TV? Or should I route everything to my TV and then use the digital audio out from the TV back to my receiver for sound? Originally I had everything going through my receiver and then connecting to the TV but knowing that the TV supports streaming content I'm not quite sure what the best setup is. This TV seems like it can handle everything and I should just use my receiver for sound?

Thanks for any insights and/or suggestions.
post #1185 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkme View Post

I have a new 60NX720 and I need some recommendations for connecting all my devices together. I have a Yamaha RX-V665 A/V receiver, Cisco HD/DVR cable box (Comcast xfinity), xBox360, and PS3 ... my question ... should everything connect to my receiver and then use one HDMI cable to my TV? Or should I route everything to my TV and then use the digital audio out from the TV back to my receiver for sound? Originally I had everything going through my receiver and then connecting to the TV but knowing that the TV supports streaming content I'm not quite sure what the best setup is. This TV seems like it can handle everything and I should just use my receiver for sound?

Thanks for any insights and/or suggestions.

Connect ALL devices to the receiver, then one HDMI to the TV. If your Yam supported ARC (as my Onkyo does) you would get TV audio-stream BACK to the Yam on the ARC HDMI, but I don't think this is equipped that way. Still, you can set an input on the Yam for TV, and connect Optical from TV opt out to YAM and enjoy YouTube, etc.
post #1186 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

Connect ALL devices to the receiver, then one HDMI to the TV. If your Yam supported ARC (as my Onkyo does) you would get TV audio-stream BACK to the Yam on the ARC HDMI, but I don't think this is equipped that way. Still, you can set an input on the Yam for TV, and connect Optical from TV opt out to YAM and enjoy YouTube, etc.

Excellent, I will set this up and see how well it works. Do you happen to know where I can find the "best" calibration setting for my Sony 60NX720? I'm having a hard time locating them in all these postings.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it.
post #1187 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch83 View Post

Occasional I hear some harshment sound from monolithic stand when someone speaks... Is this normal?

I've heard the same from time to time on my KDL40NX720 but I've the standard loudspeakers and not the soundbar.
I've guessed it was some noise on the broadcasted signal (which is sometimes jammed here, on video too) but I can't take it for granted ...
post #1188 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 02:33 PM

Has anyone else had a dead splotch appear/disappear on their screen on the 55NX720?

I received the TV on Friday and watched a movie that night. It was on all day Saturday and watched another movie. Sunday morning I got up and turned it on and then went to make some coffee and looked up at the TV and I saw this splotch next to the newscaster's head. I went over to look at it and it looked like a cluster dead pixels that were kind of in the shape of a car key. It was only on the screen for perhaps a minute and then gone. Now I've been waiting for it to reappear.

There is also a kind of cloud that looks like a wave towards the top (about 5 inches long) above where I saw the splotch. It's hard to notice but on bright objects.

I replaced my recently purchased 46NX720 with the above 55NX720 hoping for the same picture quality. My 46" had a awesome picture with the ambient sensor turned on. I've been trying to calibrate the 55" to look the same and can't. The ambient sensor on the 55" is too bright when turned off and doesn't seem to adjust to the amount of light when turned on. With it turned on, the reds appear as an off color dark magenta instead of red and it looks like the whole picture has been washed with gray. I know the sensor should be turned off for a better picture.

Anybody else out there having problems?

Thanks, Todd
post #1189 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddboy2001 View Post

Has anyone else had a dead splotch appear/disappear on their screen on the 55NX720?

I received the TV on Friday and watched a movie that night. It was on all day Saturday and watched another movie. Sunday morning I got up and turned it on and then went to make some coffee and looked up at the TV and I saw this splotch next to the newscaster's head. I went over to look at it and it looked like a cluster dead pixels that were kind of in the shape of a car key. It was only on the screen for perhaps a minute and then gone. Now I've been waiting for it to reappear.

There is also a kind of cloud that looks like a wave towards the top (about 5 inches long) above where I saw the splotch. It's hard to notice but on bright objects.

I replaced my recently purchased 46NX720 with the above 55NX720 hoping for the same picture quality. My 46" had a awesome picture with the ambient sensor turned on. I've been trying to calibrate the 55" to look the same and can't. The ambient sensor on the 55" is too bright when turned off and doesn't seem to adjust to the amount of light when turned on. With it turned on, the reds appear as an off color dark magenta instead of red and it looks like the whole picture has been washed with gray. I know the sensor should be turned off for a better picture.

Anybody else out there having problems?

Thanks, Todd

What other settings are you using? Scene/picture mode?

Aaron
post #1190 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

What other settings are you using? Scene/picture mode?

Aaron

Hi Aaron, All settings are set to default and the TV came with the latest firmware update.

Thanks,
Todd
post #1191 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddboy2001 View Post

Hi Aaron, All settings are set to default and the TV came with the latest firmware update.

Thanks,
Todd

Might be worth using some of the settings that have been posted on here and see if they help.

Although not sure about the other issues mentioned, maybe it was part of the source material ie a glitch in the broadcast if it has now disappeared although that doesn't explain the "cloud" you are seeing.
post #1192 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Might be worth using some of the settings that have been posted on here and see if they help.

Although not sure about the other issues mentioned, maybe it was part of the source material ie a glitch in the broadcast if it has now disappeared although that doesn't explain the "cloud" you are seeing.

I've tried both the C|Net and Daz-Man's settings. Still trying to decide. I would like to give the Spears & Munsil Calibration disc a try.

The cloud is "definitely " in the screen itself but is hard to see until you know it's there. BB said the splotch could be the cable box which I had hooked to the 46" and never had a problem before. Seems funny that it would show up on the new TV just after I got it.

Thanks,
Todd
post #1193 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Are you guys having your AVR doing upscaling to the Sony? Or just using HDMI pass thru, letting the Sony take care of everything assuming it has the better video processor? Posted this same question over on the HX820 forum. I've got a Pioneer 1121 AVR and am currently using its video processor (Marvell Qdeo which is supposed to be very good) to upscale to 1080p before sending to my TV and am pretty happy with the results so far, but not sure if that is the recommended thing to do.
post #1194 of 3430 Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM

I have a bright living room /dining room area with windows at both ends. (see attached plan) Currently have a KDL60XS955 located on a stand in the left front corner (looking toward the window) beside the living room window. The dining room is south facing so plenty of light during the day. The current TV is bright enough not to result in a reflection problem. I can close off some light with dark curtains if needed. Sony has offered either an EX720 (55 or 60) or a NX720 (55 or 60). The 55" in either is better %discount from retail but I am concerned about dropping from my current 60" Also I am concerned about reflections with the NX720 during daytime viewing. I watch mostly broadcast TV and movies recorded on a SA8300 HD PVR but ould watch more BlueRay and hopefully some 3D.
I have to decide this week. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

floor plan4.pdf 256.2734375k . file
post #1195 of 3430 Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:

What's the benefit of routing audio from the tv to the receiver?
post #1196 of 3430 Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-man View Post

So you can watch streaming content from the TV and be able to listen to it on your receiver.
post #1197 of 3430 Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Beats listening to the TV speakers, when using the tuner in the TV.
post #1198 of 3430 Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 AM

can't recommend a selection, but NX does have reflections, EX does not.
I turn off a light at night that angles off the pane in my direction, but I also find myself watching with the light on at times and I don't really see it until I look for it.
The NX picture was so much better to my eyes, that I decided to tackle the reflection issue, rather than avoid it.
post #1199 of 3430 Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerrh View Post

So you can watch streaming content from the TV and be able to listen to it on your receiver.

Streaming, makes sense now.
post #1200 of 3430 Old 12-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I have all my sources running through a Sony STR-DH820 to the 60NX720, with the NX set to use the AV system speakers. When I do streaming video via the NX, it is smart enough to route the audio through the DH820 automatically, using the HDMI Control protocol. Nice.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page