Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 75 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2221 of 3439 Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjunior View Post

nop
just some glue that used to stick plastics and it looks like original

post a pic. I would love to see the final result
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 3439 Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

I came across tons of rants from people on Sony forums about their panels going bad after 2 years. Did you all buy extended warranty on your Nx720?

were the rants about rear projection LCD or flat panel LCD? SONY rear projection LCD and LCOS (SXRD) do have known problems.
post #2223 of 3439 Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I came across tons of rants from people on Sony forums about their panels going bad after 2 years. Did you all buy extended warranty on your Nx720?

Which Sony Panel? Can you be specific.

Rich
post #2224 of 3439 Old 02-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Liked: 15
Most of the complaints came from owners of 52XBR9
post #2225 of 3439 Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulasayar View Post

Sorry for my previous message. I am pretty new for this kind of forums.

here I resized the picture and repeated my message.

Hi All. I have bought a new 46nx720 last week. There are white spots on right bottom corner in dark scenes. I attached a picture of the problem. Is this an issue? Does anybody have similar porblem? I know this is an edge LED screen and lightening can not be same on every pixel but my problem looks like a little bit over the threshold.

Did you turn local dimming on (LED Dynamic Control)? I would try that if you haven't.
post #2226 of 3439 Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most of the complaints came from owners of 52XBR9

Oh ok well this is a NX720 and I have a KDL-55NX720. We do not want to hear things about another panel here. I'm just saying.

Rich
post #2227 of 3439 Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 PM

Ok, so I posted earlier about having pixelation and noise on my screen. Just so we're clear, no one else is experiencing this, right? I just want to determine if I should exchange it or make a return. AMartin56 need not respond.
post #2228 of 3439 Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by anony73 View Post

Ok, so I posted earlier about having pixelation and noise on my screen. Just so we're clear, no one else is experiencing this, right? I just want to determine if I should exchange it or make a return. AMartin56 need not respond.

xoxoxoxoxxo

-AMartin56
post #2229 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

xoxoxoxoxxo

-AMartin56

You guys are bad...

No you should not have any pixelation nor noise unless you have a bad cable box or bad HDMI connection or bad cable connection. Some cable boxes cause noise and some outlining of objects but you should have a crisp and clear pq like I do when I watch most channels and definitely watching blu-rays...

Go to a local Sony store or video store and compare. If you are not happy with the product I suggest you exchange it until you are.

Rich
post #2230 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

You guys are bad...

No you should not have any pixelation nor noise unless you have a bad cable box or bad HDMI connection or bad cable connection. Some cable boxes cause noise and some outlining of objects but you should have a crisp and clear pq like I do when I watch most channels and definitely watching blu-rays...

Go to a local Sony store or video store and compare. If you are not happy with the product I suggest you exchange it until you are.

That's not entirely true IMO. Depending on the source I get all of those things to a certain degree if I'm looking at the display from an extreme off angle or I'm very close to it (which appears to be what our fellow user is doing during his 'tests'). But if I sit at a proper distance and angle the picture resolves itself and is very clear/sharp. But anyways....I suppose my point is....return it...don't return it....noodles....no noodles....there is NO secret ingredient (Can you tell what movie is amusing to watch on my new NX720?). Just make a decision already and stop asking the same vague question over and over...
post #2231 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

That's not entirely true IMO. Depending on the source I get all of those things to a certain degree if I'm looking at the display from an extreme off angle or I'm very close to it (which appears to be what our fellow user is doing during his 'tests'). But if I sit at a proper distance and angle the picture resolves itself and is very clear/sharp. But anyways....I suppose my point is....return it...don't return it....noodles....no noodles....there is NO secret ingredient (Can you tell what movie is amusing to watch on my new NX720?). Just make a decision already and stop asking the same vague question over and over...

Well thats why I said what I said about some cable connections/boxes. This guy is telling me he is sitting at a normal distance for a 55" and getting a lot of noise and pixelation. This is not normal for blu-ray at all unless that particular movie was filmed at night like in the movie Miami Vice. All the night scenes have noise. He sent me pics of his problem and it is horrible and no where near the pristine PQ I am receiving. He is sitting directly in front of the set at no angle and getting a lots of noise. I told him to return it. I feel bad for him its his second set.

Here u can see the pics for urself:
http://imageshack.us/f/718/img0597pj.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/525/img0599e.jpg/

Maybe someone else can chime in with their opinion.

Rich
post #2232 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Liked: 12
If he keeps changing out sets and has the same problem, it's more than likely not a particular set. Basic troubleshooting will lead anyone to that conclusion.

A few questions I would ask would be:
Is this happening with only one BD movie?
Is the HDMI Cable and BD player a known good? As in, has it been operationally tested on another system/tv?
If you suspect the HDMI cable between your cable box and set, switch cables or test that cable between two other components.
Are you connecting through a AVR? If so, have you bypassed the AVR to test the line between the BD Player and set?

For those that state that HDMI is either good or bad and there is no in between, I would disagree. Poor Shielding will cause a number of PQ issues. My first two HDMI cables were purchased via Newegg, and received high ratings, but performed worse than my analog cables.

I purchased replacement HDMI w/ Mediabridge cables, problem fixed.

Also, I've heard that some cable boxes output a better PQ with component cables.
post #2233 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

If he keeps changing out sets and has the same problem, it's more than likely not a particular set. Basic troubleshooting will lead anyone to that conclusion.

Is the HDMI Cable and BD player a known good? As in, has it been operationally tested on another system/tv?
If you suspect the HDMI cable between your cable box and set, switch cables or test that cable between two other components.
Are you connecting through a AVR? If so, have you bypassed the AVR to test the line between the BD Player and set?

For those that state that HDMI is either good or bad and there is no in between, I would disagree. Poor Shielding will cause a number of PQ issues. My first two HDMI cables were purchased via Newegg, and received high ratings, but performed worse than my analog cables.

Also, I've heard that some cable boxes output a better PQ with component cables.

Yea I know and I asked him that and he said he brought his PS3 to his friends house with same HDMI cable and the PQ was fine. There are no special HDMI cable. That is all nonsense. I been using mono price Cables for years with pristine PQ and I have paid over $100 in the beginning for a 3 ft cable and got the same PQ. Right now I'm using a $25 15ft mono price cable and get Pristine PQ. Basic shielding is all you need for pristine PQ. I been in the HD game for years and been thru it all.

You are correct in the basic troubleshooting methods and I believe he has done this from what he told me. This is not rocket science here. Maybe he should try component cables like u mentioned. I know the PQ he is getting is horrible and I would be livid if I was on my second bad panel.

Rich
post #2234 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 11:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yea I know and I asked him that and he said he brought his PS3 to his friends house with same HDMI cable and the PQ was fine. There are no special HDMI cable. That is all nonsense. I been using mono price Cables for years with pristine PQ and I have paid over $100 in the beginning for a 3 ft cable and got the same PQ. Right now I'm using a $25 15ft mono price cable and get Pristine PQ. Basic shielding is all you need for pristine PQ. I been in the HD game for years and been thru it all.

You are correct in the basic troubleshooting methods and I believe he has done this from what he told me. This is not rocket science here. Maybe he should try component cables like u mentioned. I know the PQ he is getting is horrible and I would be livid if I was on my second bad panel.

He can also try ditching the cable and go for over the air tv. I get a better PQ that way, than I ever did with cable or satellite.

So, it's just the connection between his PS3 and the two different sets that's causing him problems? I would also suggest connecting another component with the same cable and HDMI connection on that set.

I'm guessing there is no AVR between the two. Sounds like not everything hasn't been checked, b/c I doubt two different sets have the same issue.

I'm trying to understand his true issue, b/c I've heard so far about his PS3, BD, and cable box. Is having trouble with all three? Once he identifies all of his symptoms and problems, the fix shouldn't be an issue.
post #2235 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Here are some pictures I took with my Iphone 4. Remember viewing these pics in person is even better. If you are not getting this PQ with your Sony KDL-55NX720 than something is wrong.

Movie:

Animation:

You be the judge on your own panel with your own eyes.

Rich
post #2236 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

He can also try ditching the cable and go for over the air tv. I get a better PQ that way, than I ever did with cable or satellite.

So, it's just the connection between his PS3 and the two different sets that's causing him problems? I would also suggest connecting another component with the same cable and HDMI connection on that set.

I'm guessing there is no AVR between the two. Sounds like not everything hasn't been checked, b/c I doubt two different sets have the same issue.

I'm trying to understand his true issue, b/c I've heard so far about his PS3, BD, and cable box. Is having trouble with all three? Once he identifies all of his symptoms and problems, the fix shouldn't be an issue.

That is an idea also, trying an over the air tv connection if he has an external antenna.

Correct he was doing a direct connect from Ps3 to panel.

Yes he is having trouble with all three and if he is not getting a pristine picture from a direct PS3 (blu-ray) to panel there is something wrong. Especially since he tested it at his friends house the same way and it was fine.

Rich
post #2237 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Hey neverfaithful, what settings are you currently using?
post #2238 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:

This is happening with several Blu-ray movies. It is clearly visible in both day and night scenes, but more pronounced in night scenes. As neverfaithful mentioned, I tested by using the same PS3 and HDMI cable at another person's house and didn't see this issue. I've switched cables and inputs on this TV and it hasn't fixed it, not to mention played with nearly every setting combination on both the TV and PS3. Also, I am not connecting through AVR. Additionally, I tried watching a 1080p movie trailer directly from USB and it still looked crappy. I guess I'm concerned because the NX720 I had before this one had the same problem. It seems odd that the two sets would have the same issue, but I suppose it's possible. If you all think it's best to exchange it, I'll exchange it. I'm just afraid of getting blacklisted by Best Buy for making too many returns!
post #2239 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixelBuddy View Post

Hey neverfaithful, what settings are you currently using?

Standard untouched.

I found that to be the best for my eyes out of the 5 times I changed it from the posted setting from users here. No offense but I think a few of the people here that posts their personal settings are messing everything up. I have used someones setting here that took away the details from what a character is wearing in a movie. So I think changes should be made but I feel the motionflow (usually best kept on Standard) Motionflow (Usually best on Auto 1) and other settings need to be on to take advantage of this panel. This is why we are paying these prices for on these panels and that is why Sony includes it on their panels.

Further, I also just had my eyes checked last week and I know I see 20/20 with my new glasses. Everyone should have their eyes checked as well which is very important when viewing tv.

Rich
post #2240 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Also, for what it’s worth, video games look amazing on this set. I find it odd that Blu-ray movies can look so crappy but games look so good, but maybe that’s because video games are processed. However, I tested an animated movie on the TV and the blacks still showed heavy pixelation, while the rest of the picture looked fine. Regular HD movies do look bad though, with noise all across the screen.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your insight, I’ll probably exchange it this week. If anyone has any last minute ideas before I do though, let me know.
post #2241 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Standard untouched.

I found that to be the best for my eyes out of the 5 times I changed it from the posted setting from users here. No offense but I think a few of the people here that posts their personal settings are messing everything up. I have used someones setting here that took away the details from what a character is wearing in a movie. So I think changes should be made but I feel the motionflow (usually best kept on Standard) Motionflow (Usually best on Auto 1) and other settings need to be on to take advantage of this panel. This is why we are paying these prices for on these panels and that is why Sony includes it on their panels.

Further, I also just had my eyes checked last week and I know I see 20/20 with my new glasses. Everyone should have their eyes checked as well which is very important when viewing tv.

I, as well, am happiest with just using the standard factory settings. The only thing I changed was the color temp to its warmest setting.
post #2242 of 3439 Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo View Post

I, as well, am happiest with just using the standard factory settings. The only thing I changed was the color temp to its warmest setting.

Kool. Yes that and back lighting down to 6 or 5.

I am going to test it in the warmest setting myself now and see what I think.

Rich
post #2243 of 3439 Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM

I got a KDL55NX720 as part of the Replacement Program in early January and am very happy with the set....great picture with minimal tweaking. The only time I saw some pixelation in the dark areas was when watching a movie that was streaming over Amazon On-Demand. The set was receiving the signal via WiFi and had an amazing picture but I did notice this artifact in 'some' of the dark scenes. My son from college was home watching the movie with us and when I commented on this observation, he replied that he would see this on his computer sometimes when streaming a movie and he attributed it to the streaming process. This could be the case as I do not notice this often, either from DVR or DVD or BluRay or streaming; just on one movie so far that I actually noticed it and perhaps the source was causing this. Just my experience.
post #2244 of 3439 Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM

First of all, I'm very pleased with this set.

I'm hoping someone has found a way to allow multiple picture modes to a single HDMI connection.

I have my Dish DVR and my XBOX360 hdmi'd to my Pioneer 1021k AVReceiver which then feeds the TV with a single HDMI.

Everything works swimmingly however, I need to make a bunch of changes to the picture each time I switch from the Dish to the 360.

Is there a way to specify multiple picture modes to a single HDMI on this set?

Thanks in advance,
idle
post #2245 of 3439 Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anony73 View Post

So I found out my panel is V460H1-PE5. Good/bad/thoughts?

So far that's the only panel I've actually seen reported in the 46": that's the panel that was in the 46NX720 I had, and there was someone in Germany with that panel. I think that my 55" looks better than the 46" did, but I think that has more (if not all) to do to with the bigger screen since rather than the change in panel, since I'm watching it from the same location.
post #2246 of 3439 Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post

First of all, I'm very pleased with this set.

I'm hoping someone has found a way to allow multiple picture modes to a single HDMI connection.

I have my Dish DVR and my XBOX360 hdmi'd to my Pioneer 1021k AVReceiver which then feeds the TV with a single HDMI.

Everything works swimmingly however, I need to make a bunch of changes to the picture each time I switch from the Dish to the 360.

Thanks in advance,
idle

Why cant you just make a custom setting in the tv for your 360?

Rich
post #2247 of 3439 Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:

If you are only using 2 sources, you could switch between the 'shared' and 'this input' settings. Save one color set to the common/shared setting, and another to the device specific mode. I believe both are stored independant of each other so you can swap back and forth.
post #2248 of 3439 Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I use different Scenes for this. My xbox uses the Game Scene and for cable TV I use Cinema.

This does bring up a good point though, we have these awesome receivers which allow us to feed everything to them and then run a single HDMI cable to the TV but we still have to not only switch the input on the receiver, but also change the Scene setting on the TV. If only the HDMI signal carried an ID number which could be synced with whatever scene mode you would like to be used for that particular signal.
This has got me considering either using an optical cable to my reciever or just the ARC channel for audio only, and then plugging all my devices into the TV itself so I can switch modes simply by using the TVs input. It's bypassing the convenience of having an actual AV reciever though and I find that a little strange that this is the solution.

What are you guys all doing as a workaround?
post #2249 of 3439 Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMU83 View Post

I got a KDL55NX720 as part of the Replacement Program in early January and am very happy with the set....great picture with minimal tweaking. The only time I saw some pixelation in the dark areas was when watching a movie that was streaming over Amazon On-Demand. The set was receiving the signal via WiFi and had an amazing picture but I did notice this artifact in 'some' of the dark scenes. My son from college was home watching the movie with us and when I commented on this observation, he replied that he would see this on his computer sometimes when streaming a movie and he attributed it to the streaming process. This could be the case as I do not notice this often, either from DVR or DVD or BluRay or streaming; just on one movie so far that I actually noticed it and perhaps the source was causing this. Just my experience.

Same here when streaming from netflix. I noticed it in the dark scenes in the movie True Grit. I don't see in bluray or cable tv
post #2250 of 3439 Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

were the rants about rear projection LCD or flat panel LCD? SONY rear projection LCD and LCOS (SXRD) do have known problems.

I just got rid of my Sony rear projection LCD that I bought in the summer of 2003. The thing worked great and I only had to replace the lamp once after 6 or 7 years and it was just a little over $100 for the new bulb. That TV was solid, in fact, I kept hoping it would break so I could justify getting a new one as it was only 1080i. I finally broke down and got the 55nx720 b/c the picture was so much better and I figured I got my money's worth after 8 1/2 years. I actually 'dontated' the old tv to a friend last night who was still using a 25" tube.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page