Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried the 3D yet? Which glasses are you buying and where did you buy them from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavitating View Post

Has anyone tried the 3D yet? Which glasses are you buying and where did you buy them from?

yes it is great, here is an interesting deal...I have Xpand Universal glasses (amazon, $95), i have a soundbar covering the front lower part of the tv so that the sensor on the tv isnt visible, the sony 3d glasses must see that sensor to work, the universal glasses dont seem to need to see it...

Now, I am laying down so the angle is why i am having the problem...

Bad news about this is the sony glasses are better in that they are not as dark as the universal...so i am going to raise the tv and buy sony glasses (was using my home theatre store glasses as loaners to compare)
post #213 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Yes. I watched Tron and Avatar in 3D with 2011 model Sony glasses available at Sony style for $140 for two sets.

AMAZING.

I had no desire to use the 3D capabilities of the set at first, and will only use it sparingly. But it is as good as the theater as far as Avatar goes.

Also quickly checked out some Comcast 3D on Demand which is suprisingly good, Toy Story 3 and more are free if you have Starz, Avatar and others on HBO. Plus MUCH more on other channels.
post #214 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Great, looking forward to it. Sony is out of the Sony glasses, and none of the local stores seem to have them listed in their systems yet. Looking to get either the double pack or even the single ones now that they have lowered the price to match the double pack.
post #215 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboosted View Post

Yes. I watched Tron and Avatar in 3D with 2011 model Sony glasses available at Sony style for $140 for two sets.

AMAZING.

I had no desire to use the 3D capabilities of the set at first, and will only use it sparingly. But it is as good as the theater as far as Avatar goes.

Also quickly checked out some Comcast 3D on Demand which is suprisingly good, Toy Story 3 and more are free if you have Starz, Avatar and others on HBO. Plus MUCH more on other channels.

That's a great deal on the new glasses, wow I was at Best Buy today and they wanted that much for 1 pair.
How long did it take to get after you ordered them from Sony?
post #216 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM

I watched Thron in 3D with the Expand Universal Glasses, it was really amazing. I will watch Alice in Wonderlands this week-end and let you know how it looks.
post #217 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpat View Post

I watched Thron in 3D with the Expand Universal Glasses, it was really amazing. I will watch Alice in Wonderlands this week-end and let you know how it looks.

If you compare the Xpand to Sony the Sony are less dark, enough to make me want to use the Sony, but they do work fine...

This 3d deal is pretty cool...
post #218 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info Randy, I haven't try the Sony glasses yet. I have 2 pairs of Expand. I agree that they seem dark but I have not try anything else to compare.
post #219 of 3430 Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM

When I ordered mine last Monday the site said back ordered, but they shipped the next day.

I suggest ordering as soon as you can to get in line. Or find them at a local Sony store if one is near you.
post #220 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 07:17 AM

We had our 55NX720 delivered and installed yesterday, upgrading from a Mitsubishi WS-48311 rear projector.

The unit itself is beautiful, and we paired it with a Salamander Madrid cabinet and stand.

After watching Comcast HD for an evening, there is definitely picture tweaking work to be done. I'll use the suggestions of the fine posters here to begin my journey.

My question: I haven't been able to get my Wi-Fi set up yet (I've got an older Linksys router without WPS), but I understand that I can possibly update the firmware using a flash drive.

I have the 4/29/11 code from Sony Support, but plugging in the USB drive and turning the power on did not start the firmware update process.

Anybody have any ideas how to to this?
post #221 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
how this TV is different from HX929?
i want to know if it worths the price difference
post #222 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Have your TV do a search for available networks. Mine was easy as pie to set up.

GAMERTAG: ORYX

post #223 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimklo View Post

We had our 55NX720 delivered and installed yesterday, upgrading from a Mitsubishi WS-48311 rear projector.

The unit itself is beautiful, and we paired it with a Salamander Madrid cabinet and stand.

After watching Comcast HD for an evening, there is definitely picture tweaking work to be done. I'll use the suggestions of the fine posters here to begin my journey.

My question: I haven't been able to get my Wi-Fi set up yet (I've got an older Linksys router without WPS), but I understand that I can possibly update the firmware using a flash drive.

I have the 4/29/11 code from Sony Support, but plugging in the USB drive and turning the power on did not start the firmware update process.

Anybody have any ideas how to to this?

have read the instructions on how to manually update via usb?

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=6568&os_id=25
post #224 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM

make sure you slow format the USB before you do it. It made the difference for me.
post #225 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

how this TV is different from HX929?
i want to know if it worths the price difference

I want to know it too!
post #226 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post

Have your TV do a search for available networks. Mine was easy as pie to set up.

I don't broadcast my ssid, so I had to do the manual setup. This is something I have on my list to play with once I tweak the picture.
post #227 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

have read the instructions on how to manually update via usb?

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=6568&os_id=25

Thanks for the link! I saw this on the Sony website when I was doing my research on the TV and couldn't find it again.

So far, it looks like I've followed all of the instructions to the letter...even formatted the thumb drive from FAT to FAT32. It seems like the set detected a USB drive, but there were no indications anything was done.

I'm going to try again later today.
post #228 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the link! I saw this on the Sony website when I was doing my research on the TV and couldn't find it again.

So far, it looks like I've followed all of the instructions to the letter...even formatted the thumb drive from FAT to FAT32. It seems like the set detected a USB drive, but there were no indications anything was done.

I'm going to try again later today.

I ran the new firmware from my wireless and it tells you it's down loading and the tv turns on and off, lights flash.
post #229 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 PM

I got my KDL-60NX720 yesterday after taking the deal to replace my 60A2000. I followed the settings posted here and then used my calibration DVD to fine tune it. I need to pick up some glasses now.

I have Comcast with a DVR. Would I get any benefit splitting the cable and running it to the TV cable input and the DVR Comcast box?
post #230 of 3430 Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 PM

anyone using the silver speaker stand that you can get for kdl55nx720?

need some feedback, i feel it looks great and makes the TV stand apart, i am thinking of buying one but would like to have some feedback abt it sound quality etc.
post #231 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiresolution View Post
I ran the new firmware from my wireless and it tells you it's down loading and the tv turns on and off, lights flash.
That's the problem...I can't get the Sony to detect my wireless network. I do have an older router and it is upstairs in my office, though I do get an excellent signal on my laptop in the same room as the TV.

I did finally check the firmware version in the "Contact Sony" menu item, and the set shipped with the latest available.

It is supposed to tell you if the firmware on the USB drive is the same as the currently installed version, but I sure didn't see any message to that effect on the screen.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what hapens if/when a new firmware update is released.
post #232 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Good stuff, but try the black corrector, you get awesome blacks
Hiresolution,

I tried your settings last night, and the picture now looks fantastic! The factory settings were defniitely lacking anything close to reality.

Watched the first half of the Bulls-Miami Game 2, and I swear I could see the grain on the ball as it was being passed.

Too bad the outcome wasn't affected by the new settings.
post #233 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimklo

Hiresolution,

I tried your settings last night, and the picture now looks fantastic! The factory settings were defniitely lacking anything close to reality.

Watched the first half of the Bulls-Miami Game 2, and I swear I could see the grain on the ball as it was being passed.

Too bad the outcome wasn't affected by the new settings.
That's awesome....did you try 3D yet?
post #234 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
That's awesome....did you try 3D yet?
Nope...didn't get any glasses. I'm sure we'll give it a try at some point.
post #235 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:

That's the problem...I can't get the Sony to detect my wireless network. I do have an older router and it is upstairs in my office, though I do get an excellent signal on my laptop in the same room as the TV.

I did finally check the firmware version in the "Contact Sony" menu item, and the set shipped with the latest available.

It is supposed to tell you if the firmware on the USB drive is the same as the currently installed version, but I sure didn't see any message to that effect on the screen.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what hapens if/when a new firmware update is released.

If you have an Ethernet cable, why not hook up the TV via Ethernet to your router/modem. Ethernet is more reliable and faster as far as I know so I have my set hardwired, not wireless!
post #236 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Well my 55NX720 was delivered yesterday. It is a replacment from Sony for my 50XBR1 thaty was in the process of it's second optical block failure. I thought the out of the box pq was pretty good but I plan on trying some of the recommended settings posted here. I too have an older Linksys router, but I broadcast my SSID, and it was a cinch to get the TV connected to the network. Netflix is up and running and even watched a few youtube videos. Funny as my latop was sitting there running a mesage popped up saying Windows Media Player could see my TV and told me I could stream WMV content to the TV. I am digging this set so far. Very pleased that Sony decided to step up and make me a very good offer to replace the XBR1.

Mike
post #237 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post

Well my 55NX720 was delivered yesterday. It is a replacment from Sony for my 50XBR1 thaty was in the process of it's second optical block failure. I thought the out of the box pq was pretty good but I plan on trying some of the recommended settings posted here. I too have an older Linksys router, but I broadcast my SSID, and it was a cinch to get the TV connected to the network. Netflix is up and running and even watched a few youtube videos. Funny as my latop was sitting there running a mesage popped up saying Windows Media Player could see my TV and told me I could stream WMV content to the TV. I am digging this set so far. Very pleased that Sony decided to step up and make me a very good offer to replace the XBR1.

Mike

Sony really did step up...I don't know anyone that would have replaced my 5 year old, zillions of hours with a new one....nice job Sony.
post #238 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 12:55 PM

Liked: 15
Just helped my dad accept an offer for a 60NX720 to replace the 60XBR1. Need to send in the paperwork still, but hopefully will have the new set in a few weeks.
post #239 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbeepbeep View Post

Just helped my dad accept an offer for a 60NX720 to replace the 60XBR1. Need to send in the paperwork still, but hopefully will have the new set in a few weeks.

Took me 2 weeks
post #240 of 3430 Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 PM

I'm looking to replace an old SXRD 60XBR1 with the 60NX720. One feature I love on the 60XBR1 is the ability to pair a variety of sources for picture-and-picture (PAP). Some Sony models only allow the tuner plus the PC input with PAP.
Can anyone confirm that the NX720 indeed allows a variety of the inputs to be used with PAP? Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page