Official Sony NX720 Owner's thread (KDL60NX720, KDL55NX720, KDL46NX720) - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

Found a dead green sub-pixel.

Anyone else have pixel issues?

Sorry, does this mean that you have a pixel where the red and blue sub-pixels are fine but the green one is out?? Just trying to understand here..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM

I have a question about the below soundbar for anyone that knows anything about them.

Can I hook this up directly to the TV? Not sure if I need to buy anything else outside of this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...0bar&cp=1&lp=2
post #2853 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonridr View Post

Sorry, does this mean that you have a pixel where the red and blue sub-pixels are fine but the green one is out?? Just trying to understand here..

Yes, exactly.
post #2854 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenken View Post

I have a question about the below soundbar for anyone that knows anything about them.

Can I hook this up directly to the TV? Not sure if I need to buy anything else outside of this.

Quote:

HDMI repeater
Allows you to connect multiple devices to this system and run 1 HDMI cable to your TV (HDMI cable required, not included) for simplified setup.

Sounds like it uses HDMI to take care of the cabling.
post #2855 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HTCT150_EN_FR_ES.pdf

basically you can hook up to 3 different HDMI sources into the back of the Subwoofer and it has 1 HDMI out to the TV with built in ARC. Connect that to HDMI 1 in the TV so that you can enjoy surround sound when you are using sound coming from the TV (Netflix, Youtube, streaming over the network).
post #2856 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Sounds like it uses HDMI to take care of the cabling.

Alright so I guess I only need to buy 1 HDMI cable with it.

Does know if I plug my devices into the sound bar, such as cable box and PS3, then the sound bar runs to the TV? It's confusing to me because I have 2 different calibration settings for 2 HDMI inputs, so if the devices have to run through the sound bar, I dont get how this works.

I guess originally I thought my devices stay plugged into the TV, then the sound back just uses another HDMI port.
post #2857 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright so I guess I only need to buy 1 HDMI cable with it.

Does know if I plug my devices into the sound bar, such as cable box and PS3, then the sound bar runs to the TV? It's confusing to me because I have 2 different calibration settings for 2 HDMI inputs, so if the devices have to run through the sound bar, I dont get how this works.

I guess originally I thought my devices stay plugged into the TV, then the sound back just uses another HDMI port.

It's pretty clever, the speaker acts just like a receiver. You connect all sources to the woofer with HDMI, then you connect the OUT cable from the woofer to the TV. The woofer knows to process the sound and send the video to the TV. When you watch TV only, then it uses ARC feature to send the sound from the TV back to the woofer without the need for a TOSLINK cable, it's using the OUT cable for 2-way communication.
post #2858 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 AM

yep, exactly like he said, the woofer has a built in receiver to it. Yes you would only need 1 HDMI cable to go from the woofer to the TV, but you would still need HDMI cables to run from your PS3, Bluray player, HD cable box etc to go to the back of the woofer.
post #2859 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:

It's pretty clever, the speaker acts just like a receiver. You connect all sources to the woofer with HDMI, then you connect the OUT cable from the woofer to the TV. The woofer knows to process the sound and send the video to the TV. When you watch TV only, then it uses ARC feature to send the sound from the TV back to the woofer without the need for a TOSLINK cable, it's using the OUT cable for 2-way communication.

Well it's a little confusing to me since I really know nothing about this stuff.

I spent a lot of time calibrating for cable and the PS3, so I have 2 different settings. I still don't understand if I'm going to lose those settings now that I'm changing the way the entire thing is wired.

I have settings for HDMI2/3. Do I need to write them down or something, then set them back up after I set this whole thing up again?
post #2860 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Well it's a little confusing to me since I really know nothing about this stuff.

I spent a lot of time calibrating for cable and the PS3, so I have 2 different settings. I still don't understand if I'm going to lose those settings now that I'm changing the way the entire thing is wired.

I have settings for HDMI2/3. Do I need to write them down or something, then set them back up after I set this whole thing up again?

now that you only have 1 input going to the TV via HDMI 1 yes you will lose the HDMI2/3 settings. I would write them down so you can re-enter them. You can modify a couple of the different presets to represent the different activities you will be doing and then you can just change the preset depending on what you are doing..
post #2861 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Yes, exactly.

I can't say if I have any. I've made it a habit not to look for them.

Personally if you only have one dead pixel and no other issues I would just live with it. If you exchange it you might come out better, but you also might come out worse off.

Meaning what if you trade it in and your new set has no pixel issues but worse uniformity or Gorilla glass separating from the frame? You'll wish you had the old set.

People will probably give me grief for not suggesting that you strive for perfection, but I'm just suggesting you consider not allowing perfect to be the enemy of good.
post #2862 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

I can't say if I have any. I've made it a habit not to look for them.

Personally if you only have one dead pixel and no other issues I would just live with it. If you exchange it you might come out better, but you also might come out worse off.

Meaning what if you trade it in and your new set has no pixel issues but worse uniformity or Gorilla glass separating from the frame? You'll wish you had the old set.

People will probably give me grief for not suggesting that you strive for perfection, but I'm just suggesting you consider not allowing perfect to be the enemy of good.

Not only that, but if the red and blue sub-pixels still work, how bad does that one pixel look anyways? Sure maybe if it's a pure green image in that spot there may be some uniformity issues over one small pixel sized square, but overall there is still color going to that pixel - so it's not like a completely dead pixel..

I have no clue how bad it is when you look at it though, so for you it may be like pulling teeth noticing it.. but like AMartin56 said, you may not get so lucky on your replacement..
post #2863 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Liked: 15
Sony describes this as "Enjoy customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room"

Doesn't this mean that if I have set my backlight to Max during day time, the TV would automatically reduce it to say 5 at night time? Isn't this a good thing?

BTW does it adjust the backlight or the brightness or a combination of both? Does anyone know?
post #2864 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr View Post

Sony describes this as "Enjoy customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room"

Doesn't this mean that if I have set my backlight to Max during day time, the TV would automatically reduce it to say 5 at night time? Isn't this a good thing?

BTW does it adjust the backlight or the brightness or a combination of both? Does anyone know?

IMO it is better off, i have even during day time use never seen a need to go above 5 for backlight.

The light sensor adjusts brightness and backlight, but at night it puts the backlight down to ridiculous levels. I had light sensor on with backlight 4 and it reduced it to what must of been min. When you think about it even at max they are using around a 3rd of what a plasma uses full pelt.

I would personally turn it off.

Aaron
post #2865 of 3430 Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I noticed I have been watching standard mode for the past week with backlight at 6 but I had my light sensor on. I just turned it off and wow what a difference in brightness. Now I can understand why you guys reduce the backlight under 5 with light sensor off. So actually my screen was darker or just as dark as some of you guys in here that were saying i must have eye strain. Now I have light sensor off and backlight at 6. :-) my eyes love it. So those beautiful pictures I posted last week were with the light sensor on.

P.S. Please be advised that i am not using my 720 for movie viewing. So i do not need or want a dim picture. I have my Plasma and Panny AE4000 I want the WoW and Damnn factor. Thank you.

Rich
post #2866 of 3430 Old 03-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is there a way to stream videos from a pc or Mac on a network to the tv? I hook my MacBook to it and it works great but it would be nice to go wireless.
post #2867 of 3430 Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

Is there a way to stream videos from a pc or Mac on a network to the tv? I hook my MacBook to it and it works great but it would be nice to go wireless.

Yes, you can use a DLNA compliant server to stream over the network. There are many servers available. I personally use Serviio for a server... it's Windows/Linux/Mac compatible.
post #2868 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 05:43 AM

Does the NX720 have Passive or Active 3D? also does the crosstalk on 3D reduce with the HX729 or the HX 820 when compared to the NX720?
post #2869 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop Parwani View Post

Does the NX720 have Passive or Active 3D? also does the crosstalk on 3D reduce with the HX729 or the HX 820 when compared to the NX720?

All of Sonys 2011 range 3D tvs are Active.

Sorry cannot comment on the 3D as i have not tried it.

Aaron
post #2870 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Is the 3d really that bad on the NX and EX series ? There's not that many complaints on the HX thread when it comes to 3D . Getting a replacement set from Sony for my 60" SXRD , 3D is not that important to me , but when I do use it I don't want my blood pressure to go up cause it looks like crap ... , thanks in advance for your replys
post #2871 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by koan00 View Post

Yes, you can use a DLNA compliant server to stream over the network. There are many servers available. I personally use Serviio for a server... it's Windows/Linux/Mac compatible.

Thanks. I set that up and it's only recognizing my mp4 files. Any ideas?
post #2872 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum801 View Post

Is the 3d really that bad on the NX and EX series ? There's not that many complaints on the HX thread when it comes to 3D . Getting a replacement set from Sony for my 60" SXRD , 3D is not that important to me , but when I do use it I don't want my blood pressure to go up cause it looks like crap ... , thanks in advance for your replys

I believe the NX720 was a more than suitable replacement for my failing KDS-60A3000. The 3D is better than the SXRD (which had none ) but it's not something I would watch for long periods of time due to the presence of cross talk.

IMO the NX handles motion very well with the combination of a 120hz panel plus backlight scanning, but it would appear that a true 240hz panel (as seen in the higher end models) is required for 'good' 3D.
post #2873 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 11:07 AM

Liked: 16
I have been getting this "Content Error" which pops up and interrupts Netflix programs. I tried updating the firmware but the problem continues. I did a search this forum for this and saw one post where the guy replaced his wireless router but it did not help.

Anybody else having this problem? Is there a fix?
post #2874 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

Thanks. I set that up and it's only recognizing my mp4 files. Any ideas?

What types are you expecting? Are these all videos? I'd need more information on the media types. See the Support formats page. Some things are wrong though. MKV's are supported.

For me to play AVI's properly, I needed to manually select the "Bravia 2010" instead of automatically selected "Bravia 2011" profile in serviiio console. Try that and see if it helps. For whatever reason the european version of this TV's firmware supports slightly different formats.
post #2875 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 01:04 PM

How do u guys play .MKV format files on Sony TV's? I heard its not supported. Whats the workaround?

Also are you guys happy with your NX720's? Or do u wish u got the HX820 or the D7000 by Samsung?
post #2876 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop Parwani View Post

How do u guys play .MKV format files on Sony TV's? I heard its not supported. Whats the workaround?

No work around I'm aware of. Sony support says both MKV and AVI are not supported, however it appears the information is at least partially incorrect. MKV's do play for me, but not AVI's. Some people with European firmwares have reported AVIs (Xvid) do play on their TV's too.

AVI's used to work for me, but after the latest firmware update, they stopped working. The DLNA server I use can transcode on the fly, so it's not a big deal for me, the server just converts them transparently.
post #2877 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

I have been getting this "Content Error" which pops up and interrupts Netflix programs. I tried updating the firmware but the problem continues. I did a search this forum for this and saw one post where the guy replaced his wireless router but it did not help.

Anybody else having this problem? Is there a fix?

It has only happened to me watching 13 Assassins. Always the same spot in the movie, after about a week I managed to fast forward to just past the problem spot.
post #2878 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan00 View Post

No work around I'm aware of. Sony support says both MKV and AVI are not supported, however it appears the information is at least partially incorrect. MKV's do play for me, but not AVI's. Some people with European firmwares have reported AVIs (Xvid) do play on their TV's too.

AVI's used to work for me, but after the latest firmware update, they stopped working. The DLNA server I use can transcode on the fly, so it's not a big deal for me, the server just converts them transparently.

Anyone else know any other workaround for playing .mkv files on sony?
post #2879 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snash22 View Post

It has only happened to me watching 13 Assassins. Always the same spot in the movie, after about a week I managed to fast forward to just past the problem spot.

The problem is much worse for me making most anything on Netflix unwatchable. One movie we were watching got the error about 10 times. If I can't get this fixed then I'm going to cancel Netflix because it's not worth the aggravation. I have absolutely no problem viewing Hulu so whatever it is, it's isolated to Netflix.
post #2880 of 3430 Old 03-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
OMG Immortals looks sick on my NX720 and my settings. Me and my friends were there with eyes open in the dark with awe. The whole movie. The scene with when the gods flipped the boat with the huge wave and got tar all over them. Sickest PQ yet and it was a OnDemand move not even Blu-ray. I can't see it getting better than 1080p.

Rich
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony , Displays , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx720 46 Inch 1080p Wifi 3d Led Hdtv , 3d Hdtv , Component Receivers , Sony Bravia Kdl55nx720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page