post #331 of 2833 Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

i sorta got the 55 LK530 model its not in the discontinued list at LG last time i checked so i got it anyways the tv is good looks great i did check an it has that S-IPS panel you are all talkin about im keepin it

I am intrigued by the LK530 mystery. Where did you find this tv? It seems like a nice set. You noted that it has ARC, and previous posts have indicated it has SmartTV, which will be very nice if LG delivers on it's promises this fall. How do you like the SmartTV?

If I look for it on amazon, I get hits, but the product description states 520 everywhere, and the described features are clearly for the 520.

I'd keep it too if I had one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 2833 Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineLove View Post

Just noticed Futureshop has the LK550 featured . . . Is the only upgrade difference wifi/Smart TV? It's not really a feature I need.

Yes.
post #333 of 2833 Old 07-07-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Just noticed Futureshop has the LK550 featured . . . Is the only upgrade difference wifi/Smart TV? It's not really a feature I need.

I'm not that familiar with this year's models but that sounds about right. I purposely opted not to get a model with built-in WiFi. The cost of the tv is less and if something should go wrong with the WiFi, then you're stuck without a tv until the repair is done. Besides, I think Blu-ray players with built-in WiFi are more versatile in the long run than a tv with built-in WiFi.
post #334 of 2833 Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM

Got one with 'Y' in the 4th to last spot on the serial number and sure enough, S-IPS panel! I used my digital camera and set it to macro mode and snapped a picture. Zoomed it in and chevron's as far as the eye can see! No ghosting or banding of any kind and the picture is amazing! Speakers are better than I thought but I'm still going to hook up a surround system to it.

I forgot that this TV could play back quite a few formats from USB. (high def Divx in particular). I'm hooking up a "smart" Blu ray player to it for all my internet needs.

I was trying to decide between the 55LK520 and the 55LV5500 (edge lit LED LCD). BB had the 55LV5500 for a nice discount during the 4th of July sale but the money I saved getting the LK520 allowed me to get a NICE TV stand plus a Blu ray player and surround system! Plus, I think I'm going to wait a few more years for edge lit LED's to mature or for some TV manufacturer to release a nicely priced full array LED (with lots of local dimming zones). In the mean time, I'll gladly save the money and stick with a good CCFL LCD.

For others that are on the same type of fence (CCFL LCD vs edge lit LED)... the premium you pay for edge lit LED just doesn't make sense. It's not like the picture is going to be WAY WAY better. It will look the same, at least in my personal opinion.
post #335 of 2833 Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Liked: 11
47LK520 is on this weekend for my local BB's Grand Opening. $599! Guess my morning is gone lining up.

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
post #336 of 2833 Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Would this be a good TV for gaming? The LG 55LK520? Is there any bad lag? Thanks guys. My only TV is breaking so I need a new one asap.
post #337 of 2833 Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Save Dave View Post

Would this be a good TV for gaming? The LG 55LK520? Is there any bad lag? Thanks guys. My only TV is breaking so I need a new one asap.

I have a Wii and XB360 hooked up to my 55LK520 and it's pretty amazing! No detectable lag.
post #338 of 2833 Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Managed to snag the 47LK520 at my Best Buy this morning, 677 tax in. I'll probably post again once I get it out of the box and mess around with it.

I haven't checked the panel itself yet, but my box's serial number had the "Y" in the fourth position.

post #339 of 2833 Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Managed to snag the 47LK520 at my Best Buy this morning, 677 tax in. I'll probably post again once I get it out of the box and mess around with it.

I haven't checked the panel itself yet, but my box's serial number had the "Y" in the fourth position.
Congratulations! Nice price too If I may make a suggestion, set it up and make sure all is well and then just enjoy it for a couple of days before attempting any calibrations. If your LK is like my LD (47-520), there seems to be break-in period and the set actually gets better after a short while. That's what I did with mine and I think it cut down a bit on the constant tweaking. But then again, the temptation is great to start fiddlin'
post #340 of 2833 Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Congratulations! Nice price too If I may make a suggestion, set it up and make sure all is well and then just enjoy it for a couple of days before attempting any calibrations. If your LK is like my LD (47-520), there seems to be break-in period and the set actually gets better after a short while. That's what I did with mine and I think it cut down a bit on the constant tweaking. But then again, the temptation is great to start fiddlin'
Otto, I have a quick question for you, if you can answer. If I connect my PS3/Blu-Ray through HDMI then use optical out to my receiver, what's the sound quality like? With the TV the LK520 is replacing (Samsung LNT3253H), the quality is noticeably lower than straight optical from my console to the receiver. Both TVs are supposed to have Dolby decoder capabilities.

post #341 of 2833 Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:

Otto, I have a quick question for you, if you can answer. If I connect my PS3/Blu-Ray through HDMI then use optical out to my receiver, what's the sound quality like? With the TV the LK520 is replacing (Samsung LNT3253H), the quality is noticeably lower than straight optical from my console to the receiver. Both TVs are supposed to have Dolby decoder capabilities.

Optical is digital so I would think it just passes the source untouched.
post #342 of 2833 Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unless something has changed that I am not aware of, the sound quality will be downgraded before being sent over the optical output. One of the "benefits" of digital content protection.

The problem is HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection), which is implemented by the HDMI interface. In the case of, say BluRay->HDMI->TV->OpticalOut->AVR; the TV is acting as what the HDCP standard calls a 'repeater' for the audio (receives signal, processes (or not) and then sends it along). The audio must be HDCP encrypted when sent to the next device, and this is where things fall apart. HDCP is not implemented on the Optical interface. If the signal can't be encrypted, then the audio quality must be downgraded, or not sent at all.

Any implementor of HDCP must pay a royalty and is bound by this license agreement. So you don't have to read the whole thing, here is the pertinent section:

3.3.2.2 DVD-Audio Content may be passed to the following digital outputs and shall accurately transmit Digital CCI and ISRC Information:
3.3.2.2.1 To HDCP protected DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort or UDI outputs as expressly provided by section 5.3 of these Compliance Rules, if the Presentation Device is also a Repeater.
3.3.2.2.2 To Legacy Digital Audio Outputs. Legacy Digital Audio Outputs shall be limited to 1.5 times normal speed, unless the pitch is corrected to the pitch at normal speed. In addition, such outputs shall comply with the following requirements:
(a) Limitation on Sound Quality. Sound quality of Legacy Digital Audio Outputs when playing Linear PCM and Packed PCM streams shall be equivalent to CD-Audio Quality or less.

You will need to send the audio directly from the PS3 to the receiver to keep the source sound quality.
post #343 of 2833 Old 07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Djams gave you a much better explanation that I could so thank you djams for stepping in All I can tell you is that all of my devices (Blu-ray, ATV2) go into the Yamaha receiver via HDMI, to the tv via a single HDMI, and out from the LG via toslink to the Yamaha and it sounds fantastic! My tv reception is OTA only so broadcast quality will vary from source to source but network programming sounds really nice in 5.1. Movies are just fantastic so I guess part of it would be how well your device handles the various audio formats ( Dolby HD-Master, etc). My hearing isn't quite what it used to be (too many loud concerts in my youth) so the purists may disagree
post #344 of 2833 Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 PM

ya it has smarttv an it also comes with a usb wifi adapter i only tried watching youtube on the smarttv it was ok but if you try dailymotion on the browser it says you need a new flashplayer i emailed LG an they told me it wasnt discontinued yet but that it was a special model made for places like walmart an sams club not that many made either if you find one keep it
post #345 of 2833 Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Congratulations! Nice price too If I may make a suggestion, set it up and make sure all is well and then just enjoy it for a couple of days before attempting any calibrations. If your LK is like my LD (47-520), there seems to be break-in period and the set actually gets better after a short while. That's what I did with mine and I think it cut down a bit on the constant tweaking. But then again, the temptation is great to start fiddling'

Like Otto, my 55lk520 has been breaking in as well.

I was able to dial in my fleshtones after about a week but they have actually gotten better over time.

Good loudspeakers do that too.

By the way, I watched Avatar yesterday for the first time on blueray and it was really engaging through this panel. I will be watching Owls of Ga'Hoole Sunday for my next test. The movie has this gorgeous palette of all these warm orange and yellow colors and hues along with the colors and hues on the feathers. It might sound a little crazy but I'll know if the panel is doing its job correctly on this movie if what I'm watching "feels" right. I believe our brains react subconsciously (meaning something’s not quite right) to what we're seeing if it's not correct somehow and we feel less relaxed. My point is that we should never feel like we’re working to watch something. For instance, when our eye/brain sees a color, if it’s correct, the brain will simply accept it and say “oh yeah, that’s red or yellow or gold or brown” and not saying “yeah, it’s red, but something’s not quite right about it”.

Sorry, went off the deep end there for moment.

Once this panel is fully broken in and calibrated, it will be very interesting to start testing out some highend blueray players.
post #346 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

hello, guys

i saw a, what i think was a LG 42" LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV, 42LK520 (i didn't have my reading glass's. and i was hung over ).
at wally world.
does this set has a very slight red tint around the trim ? (could have been from the display area).
also. does this model have a blue or red(hangover thing) light at the bottom right corner ?

the online price is much higher than the instore price. so idk if it is the same model.

thanx

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #347 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

hello, guys

i saw a, what i think was a LG 42" LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV, 42LK520 (i didn't have my reading glass's. and i was hung over ).
at wally world.
does this set has a very slight red tint around the trim ? (could have been from the display area).
also. does this model have a blue or red(hangover thing) light at the bottom right corner ?

the online price is much higher than the instore price. so idk if it is the same model.

thanx

My 55LK has a red trim line going around the outside edge of the bezel.

That's the power on idicator light on lower right corner of the bezel which you can turn off in the menu.
post #348 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:

hello, guys

at wally world.

thanx

Not sure about the 42, but I know the stores near me have the 47 as well as the 55. I know the 55 is listed for $250 less in store than online. Also, yes it has a blue light in the bottom right corner.

I will be giving this model a try as the Samy LED I bought is going back, way too many issues.
post #349 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

i just found it for five eighty. so i may get it today. but i think i am going to go to wallywarld in a minute just to see it again (not hung over ). this is knawing at me.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #350 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

i think the blue light looks cool as well as the red trim. this is why i am going to pay $40 more for it. as oppossed to the LK450

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #351 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Liked: 23
Ok, back from the north woods. On the way back wife wanted to stop at Kohls in a mid state location and also was a Best Buy next door. Anyway, I wanted to take a look at the 47LK520 again since I saw one at Wally World awhile ago. There was some golf and other sports highlight showing on the TVs on the display wall. I was disturbed to see the LG 47LK520 had a "filmy or hazy" vertical banding. You could definitely see it especially when the camera shot panned across the screen with the mostly green grass background or even with a mostly white background during things like commercials.

I think this was mentioned in some earlier posts. The TV I saw some weeks back at Wally World had no such issue ( or at least none I noticed) , but I didn't have a lot of time to view it that day either. My 2010 43LD550 has no such "banding" and I was thinking of a 47LK520. Another owner here on AVS, Alacard, has gone through 3 or 4 47LK520s and finally got one that has acceptable screen uniformity but he mentioned a bit of light leakage in one corner of his screen. So.... I guess a heads up for owners to check their TV while still returnable for banding or corner light leakage. The 2010 models seemed much more consistently uniform in LCD panel quality.
post #352 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, i bought it at WM. i am just going to borrow it = yep, i am a bastard. but oh-well. a 100 difference, well, that is 1 weeks pay, if i work overtime

so far, the tv is just fine, using just cable now. which is about all it will ever see.

i like the looks of it. but, looking at it, idk if it is worth the extra $$ over the also nice looking lk450.

and, this thing is kinda big for its intended usage. so, i may get a smaller one. idk yet.

the bezel is very high glare , but i knew that going in.

does this tv have variable audio line out ?

that is a mitsu 65" dlp i was watching.
LL

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #353 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabyte000 View Post

Like Otto, my 55lk520 has been breaking in as well.

I was able to dial in my fleshtones after about a week but they have actually gotten better over time.

Good loudspeakers do that too.

Once this panel is fully broken in and calibrated, it will be very interesting to start testing out some highend blueray players.

Another movie you might want to check out, once your set is calibrated and has settled down a bit, is Seabiscuit. It was suggested by Phase and is actually an excellent movie to check out all kinds of calibrated settings like detail, color, etc. Phase actually put together a rather nice scene-by-scene walk-thru of the movie explaining what to look for and why.

As far as Blu-ray players go, budget is always a consideration for us, so I settled on a Panasonic BDT-210 player. It has a few more features than I need (2D-3D for one) but the specs are actually a very nice complement to the 47LD520. It's certainly not top-of-the-line but meets our needs (and budget) quite well. Shortly after we purchased the Panny, we bought an mid-level 5.1 system for a very decent price. Again, the specs on the receiver (Yamaha) match very well with the Panny and the LG so all together, our HTS is a very nice, modest system and sounds and looks exceptionally well. If anyone is interested, I can post what I mean by a matched system.
post #354 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Ok, back from the north woods.

I think this was mentioned in some earlier posts. The TV I saw some weeks back at Wally World had no such issue ( or at least none I noticed) , but I didn't have a lot of time to view it that day either. My 2010 43LD550 has no such "banding" and I was thinking of a 47LK520. Another owner here on AVS, Alacard, has gone through 3 or 4 47LK520s and finally got one that has acceptable screen uniformity but he mentioned a bit of light leakage in one corner of his screen. So.... I guess a heads up for owners to check their TV while still returnable for banding or corner light leakage. The 2010 models seemed much more consistently uniform in LCD panel quality.

Howdy hi Phase I'm glad to see that you were able to safely follow the bread crumbs from the woods back to your home

I agree with your comment about last year's 520 series. I've been following the problems associated with this year's sets and I'm amazed because I have not seen any of those issues (or really any issues at all) with my LD520. Hopefully they are associated with just a bad production run and not indicative of the entire 2011 series.
post #355 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

well. it looks like this tv doesn't have stereo rca outs. only toslink and headphone jack.
i am going to find my rca to headphone jack adapter and see if that works. i just want to connect some powered monitors to it.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #356 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well. it looks like this tv doesn't have stereo rca outs. only toslink and headphone jack.
i am going to find my rca to headphone jack adapter and see if that works. i just want to connect some powered monitors to it.

Sorry, but didn't you check the specs before you bought it?
post #357 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, but didn't you check the specs before you bought it?

nope. i just "ASSumed" that it had em. all my other tv's have em.

but i figure that the headphone jack will do the trick. if not, i have an extra toslink receiver that i can use. this isn't for critical listening/watching.
just sometimes i do watch something that i would like to have better sound for.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #358 of 2833 Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

Unless something has changed that I am not aware of, the sound quality will be downgraded before being sent over the optical output. One of the "benefits" of digital content protection . . .

Thanks for the explanation, djams. I figured it was something along those lines. The reason I asked is because my receiver has a sore lack of inputs (it's a little dated).

Liking my set so far though (about a day in). There is some slight white clouding/light bleed on the bottom edge , like Phase mentioned, but the set has yet to "break in." Backlight is up pretty high however, since I haven't fiddled with settings. I'm not sure if it warrants a return or not.

post #359 of 2833 Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 AM

For anyone interested in the 42LK520 and is local to a Fry's, I just purchased one for $469, the sales ends on 7/14. Haven't had a chance to unbox it yet but it is a Y panel.
post #360 of 2833 Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 AM

Hi All

Finally had some time to unpack the 32LK450 and play. Using it primarily as a PC monitor running XP. The video card is a Radeon 4350 using CCC. Now which pixel format is recommended: YCbCr 4:4:4 or RGB 4:4:4. I think it is RGB 4:4:4 but would like to confirm.

Any thoughts?

Currently using HDMI to HDMI(1 on LK450) connection and have used the EDID override. However, this has not worked as I have audio on the LG. Going to try DVI to HDMI.

- Phil
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page