Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

You can use the "2 Point" RGB in the Method setting while using the AVS HD709 and this will get you at least near a good gray scale. Color Management is best left alone. Also, it's best to use just thumbnails instead of embedding a whole large picture of your pixels. Otherwise it can get quite messy and use a lot of space every time someone else comments on your posts.

Morning Mr. Phase. Some pics may be coming your way soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does does anyone know if the 32LK450 have 4:4:4 (that is what i want right?) i want to hook it up to my laptop. thank you.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_2q View Post

does does anyone know if the 32LK450 have 4:4:4 (that is what i want right?) i want to hook it up to my laptop. thank you.

See post #520 or better yet, do a search of this thread.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

See post #520 or better yet, do a search of this thread.

thank you for your reply. i just wanted to make doubly sure that the 32 inch model has this capability before buying.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:50 PM

From the looks of it from other posters and my own observations, the 32lk450 IPS version has become essentially extinct, at least for the time being. It'd be great to hear from other posters the last time you saw a "Y" model 32lk450. I've had know problems finding "Y" models in 37" or 42", but I've seen probably close to 100 of the "D" VA panels. Perhaps LG has deemed the 32" model unworthy of an IPS panel?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizang View Post
From the looks of it from other posters and my own observations, the 32lk450 IPS version has become essentially extinct, at least for the time being. It'd be great to hear from other posters the last time you saw a "Y" model 32lk450. I've had know problems finding "Y" models in 37" or 42", but I've seen probably close to 100 of the "D" VA panels. Perhaps LG has deemed the 32" model unworthy of an IPS panel?
thanks for the info. i think a va panel would be ok for a computer monitor too right? or does a va panel mean that the tv cannot do 4:4:4?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM

I just bought an LG 47LK520 (Y in the code). I like every thing about it EXCEPT...it appears to have lip sync issues. I have a Comcast HD cable box running directly to the TV via a Rocketfish HDMI cable and no other peripheral sound equipment.

The issue only seems to occur on very few channels/programs but a couple of them (Food net. and ESPN) are watched regularly in my household and would become very annoying to have to put up with.

What do I do? PLEASE HELP!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandonic View Post

I just bought an LG 47LK520 (Y in the code). I like every thing about it EXCEPT...it appears to have lip sync issues. I have a Comcast HD cable box running directly to the TV via a Rocketfish HDMI cable and no other peripheral sound equipment.

The issue only seems to occur on very few channels/programs but a couple of them (Food net. and ESPN) are watched regularly in my household and would become very annoying to have to put up with.

I have the 47LD520 and no lip sync issues at all, either with OTA (I don't have cable/sat), BD movies, or the Apple TV2. Check the HDMI input on the LG and see if there is a label called cable box or something like that. I know that some folks have had to use the PC labeling when connecting their laptops to get optimal performance so maybe the same thing holds true when you connect your cable box via HDMI. BTW, the brand of HDMI cable doesn't really make a difference as long as you use a certified High Speed HDMI cable from a reputable manufacturer. It also might the Comcast box or, if it happens on only a few channels regularly, the source.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

You might also try looking at the Comcast cable box setup menu. Look for the output resolution setting. Try setting it to Auto, if it is a selection or try 720p or whatever other settings are there.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 AM

Thank you very much for your input Otto and Phase.

I tried using all the HDMI ports (none are specifically marked for cable) with no change.

I also tried two different Comcast cable boxes to no avail and then had them both reset and tried again...no change.

I also tried the Comcast cable box set up menu but every adjustment was inconsequential.

I will try some more tests and keep you updated.

Thanks again and any more suggestions are welcome.

Starting to get depressed.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for your input Otto and Phase.

I tried using all the HDMI ports (none are specifically marked for cable) with no change.

I also tried two different Comcast cable boxes to no avail and then had them both reset and tried again...no change.

I also tried the Comcast cable box set up menu but every adjustment was inconsequential.

I will try some more tests and keep you updated.

Thanks again and any more suggestions are welcome.

Starting to get depressed.

Don't remember if I missed it or not but have you tried, can you try, to hook up a BD/DVD player and see if you have any lip sync issues with movies? Or, have you tried to connect your Comcast box via coax instead of HDMI? Just use the OTA/Cable input setting and see if that works.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I actually came onto this thread to ask just this question. I have been kicking around the idea of replacing my 27" samsung monitor (with a TN panel...to be honest I've never liked this monitor since day one) with a 32" HDTV. Then, my samsung will become my work monitor After a lot of research, I basically had my choice narrowed down to a 32lk450. The problem is, I went to 9 different retail stores, and every single one only had "D" monitors with the VA panels. Well...I did get excited for a moment because I did find one with a "Y" in the code, but it was one of the 720p variants- argh! I really want the good viewing angles and color of an IPS panel...so yes, has anyone seen an 32" IPS variant of this monitor, anywhere, lately?

I am almost tempted to get a Panasonic TC-L32U3 because it is guaranteed to be an IPS panel (I like the stand and bezel appearance better too,) but the reported lack of 4:4:4 and some people having text ringing issues is so far making me shy away.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Don't remember if I missed it or not but have you tried, can you try, to hook up a BD/DVD player and see if you have any lip sync issues with movies? Or, have you tried to connect your Comcast box via coax instead of HDMI? Just use the OTA/Cable input setting and see if that works.

PS3 played DVD's and Netflix streamed movies have no lip sync issues. Will try the coax set up and let you know. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS3 played DVD's and Netflix streamed movies have no lip sync issues. Will try the coax set up and let you know. Thanks.

Hmmm, the finger keeps pointing back to Comcast so let us know if the coax works.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 PM

I brought over three neighbors and had them all watch a show on the HDfood net. channel (one of the noticeable lip sync channels). I asked then all to tell me if they noticed anything, good or bad, about the LG's audio. Within seconds they all said they noticed a lip sync issue.

I then brought over one of the neighbors 42 in. Hitachi LCD. I hooked it up to the same exact set up that was going into the LG and...NO lip sync issues noticed by anyone.

Really think it's the LG's problem now and not Comcast.

What now?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 AM

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the "32lk450.CUSDLH" and "32lk450.SUSDLH"... last time I went to check for "Y" variants I saw a couple "SUSDLH" models. Just hoping its possible there is a new scheme for identifying IPS...
Old 08-29-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding5heep View Post

Is the 47LK450 only for sale in Canada? It looks really easy to get there but I haven't seen a single US retailer with one. If this is the case I'm really sad now.

It seems so, I can't find one locally and most searches online will direct you to a Canadian retailer.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the 47LD450 and the newer 47LK450 anyway?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Hey Guys,

As you can see I'm new to the forum, but there is some great information here. I recently purchased a 42LK450 from J&R via Amazon for $479 shipped. I am slightly concerned about the panel lottery and would just like to ask if anyone in this thread, or on this forum in general, has received a 42LK450 with a VA panel?

From what I could tell by reading through the thread, every 42" LK450 seems to have received an IPS panel with a Y in the product code. Forgive me if I'm being ignorant, but has it been confirmed that the 42LK450 can have a VA panel?

I'll find out tomorrow night when I receive it, and I could always return it, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has actually received a 42" LK450 model with a VA panel.

Thanks again for all the great information everybody
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 AM

I don't know about the 42" LK450, but I can confirm that the 37" LK450 is currently stocked as both the IPS and VA panel variants at Best Buy. Needless to say, I purchased the one with the IPS panel.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnysota View Post

Hey Guys,

As you can see I'm new to the forum, but there is some great information here. I recently purchased a 42LK450 from J&R via Amazon for $479 shipped. I am slightly concerned about the panel lottery and would just like to ask if anyone in this thread, or on this forum in general, has received a 42LK450 with a VA panel?...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnysota View Post

Hey Guys,

As you can see I'm new to the forum, but there is some great information here. I recently purchased a 42LK450 from J&R via Amazon for $479 shipped. I am slightly concerned about the panel lottery and would just like to ask if anyone in this thread, or on this forum in general, has received a 42LK450 with a VA panel?

From what I could tell by reading through the thread, every 42" LK450 seems to have received an IPS panel with a Y in the product code. Forgive me if I'm being ignorant, but has it been confirmed that the 42LK450 can have a VA panel?

I'll find out tomorrow night when I receive it, and I could always return it, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has actually received a 42" LK450 model with a VA panel.

Thanks again for all the great information everybody

Not that I'm aware of (especially with the "Y" in this year's product code) but just do the loupe test anyway when you get it (magnifying glass) and check for the chevron-shaped (<<<<<<<) pixel pattern.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:31 PM

Will i be able to see a difference in black level between IPS and VA with the lights turned on or only when in complete darkness?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazzyWolf View Post

Will i be able to see a difference in black level between IPS and VA with the lights turned on or only when in complete darkness?

More senior members will have to chime in here but I think the "bad" black levels are inherent to LCDs in general. You can mitigate that somewhat with a well placed bias light. TV, IMO, should never be watched in complete darkness. FWIW, I'm watching the local evening news right now with a big sliding glass door open to the left of the tv, diffused light, and the detail looks really good (without the bias light), and I have an S-IPS panel.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 AM

hi all

i am from england and have been looking in to purchasing the 47LK530T

is the TV the same as the LK520 or any other model you are discussing?

looking for some help, advice and quick reviews on it and what you guys think i should do, here a link to the exact model i mention http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/...v-47LK530T.jsp

thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Whats the quality like on the LG55k520? Does LG still have the motherboard issues with this TV? Hows the quality control on LG tvs? I know ive been told that LGs are notorious for randomy dying, esp after 1yr is up. Not sure if thats still an issue.

Im primarily a Samsung fan (all my TVs have been Samsung) but lately they have been dissapointing with the latest issues.

Does LG have the panel lottery that Samsung still is doing?
Old 09-03-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Whats the quality like on the LG55k520? Does LG still have the motherboard issues with this TV? Hows the quality control on LG tvs? I know ive been told that LGs are notorious for randomy dying, esp after 1yr is up. Not sure if thats still an issue.

Im primarily a Samsung fan (all my TVs have been Samsung) but lately they have been dissapointing with the latest issues.

Does LG have the panel lottery that Samsung still is doing?

I have not seen or heard of any mobo problems at all with the 520 series or randomly dying sets. All manufacturers have problem sets from time to time but LG seems to be one of the more stable (right up there with Sony and Samsung). I have the 47LD520 and it has been dead-on-balls perfect (well, as perfect as a tv can be ). If by panel lottery you mean finding a set with the S-IPS panel the answer is yes, sort of. This year, LG has replaced the "W" in the product code (fourth position) with a "Y" to indicate the S-IPS panel. But that is not across the entire product line. I think that's for the 42", 47", and 55" LK series, at least that's what I've seen reported and confirmed by the loupe test but there could be other sizes and series. Find the set you're looking at on display, take a 10x magnifying glass with you and look closely at the pixel pattern. If they are chevron-shaped (<<<<<<) it's an S-IPS panel and then note the entire product and see what it indicates. If there is a "Y" in the fourth position that confirms the product code. Keep in mind though that LG, and probably Samsung too, will alternate panels within the same product line or production run (probably due to availability/QC etc) so there is no guarantee that you will always get an S-IPS with a particular product code (47LK520.xxxxx for example). Ordering online is a gamble because no one is going to pull a particular product code for you so you take your chances. The only sure-fire guarantee is to buy it locally.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by virotek View Post

Well, I managed to pick up another IPS 42LK450 on sale this past weekend so we had two screens to calibrate. Calibrated with Kanedo's Eye 1 Display LT connected to a PC via DVI->HDMI cable.

Calculated Contrast Ratio
  • LCD 1: 807:1
  • LCD 2: 864:1

Here are our ISF settings:
Setting LCD 1 LCD 2
Backlight 31 33
Contrast 95 95
Brightness 55 55
H Sharpness 28 28
V Sharpness 53 53
Color 50 50
Tint 0 0
Expert Controls - -
Dynamic Contrast Off Off
Noise Reduction Off Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off Off
Black Level High (PC) High (PC)
Real Cinema Off Off
Color Gamut BT709 BT709
Edge Enhancer Off Off
Color Filter Off Off
Gamma 2.2 2.2
Method 10 Point IRE 10 Point IRE
Luminance@IRE100 125 125
Color Management System - -
Red Color 0 0
Red Tint 1 1
Green Color 0 1
Green Tint 0 0
Blue Color 2 2
Blue Tint -6 -6
Yellow Color 6 0
Yellow Tint 0 0
Cyan Color 0 -2
Cyan Tint 0 0
Magenta Color 4 5
Magenta Tint 0 0

10 Point IRE Settings:
Which LCD IRE 0 IRE 10 IRE 20 IRE 30 IRE 40 IRE 50 IRE 60 IRE 70 IRE 80 IRE 90 IRE 100
LCD 1 RED 0 -2 -2 -1 -2 -1 0 4 5 7 2
LCD 1 GREEN 0 -3 -6 -8 -12 -13 -14 -13 -11 -9 -6
LCD 1 BLUE 0 -7 -5 -5 -8 -10 -12 -11 -14 -12 -11
LCD 2 RED 0 -1 2 -4 4 7 7 10 9 8 17
LCD 2 GREEN 0 -3 -3 -3 -6 -6 -7 -7 -8 -8 -11
LCD 2 BLUE 0 -6 -1 2 1 0 0 0 -2 -1 -2

Hope these tables are clear enough.

HCFR readings attached:

Virotek,
Thanks so much for your settings. Can you explain how to use the IRE settings? I'm not to familiar with it. Is it that if you use IRE10 you use those settings under that column and if you use IRE20 you use those settings? Sorry but I don't even know what IRE stands for and why you would use one over the other? 10, 20 30....etc. Sorry to be such a noob. When I'm in the advanced settings I see IRE of which I can choose between 10 and 100 in increments of 10, then I see Luminance which is greyed out the I see, Red, Green,Blue, which matches your IRE table then I get the color and tint settings, but the my Luminance is at 8 and I don't know who to change it.
Thanks
Phil
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Haven't actually seen the 47LK520 yet but will go look in the next week or so.

I'm looking for a new set for my mom. The retirement community (independent living) has Comcast and currently it is SD as I understand it. The community will be converted to digital in the next few months and they will be getting a DTA (Digital Transport Adapter) to use with their TV's. I believe this will convert the signals from encrypted digital to analog since it only has coax in and out connections. Plugging the cable directly into the wall and using the QAM tuner of the TV will not be an option.

I do not know if the residents will have an option of getting a real cable box as the TV service is bought in bulk and and paid for out of the monthly condo fees. I'd like to think that the residents could get an account that would simply charge for the cable box but there isn't anyone I can contact to get any information.

She currently has a 26 inch CRT and sits about 12-13 ft away. While a 55 might be closer to what is needed, if she can only get down-res'd video then the 47 may be a better fit. Correct?

Anyway, any input is appreciated.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I was in a brick and mortar store this weekend still on my hunt for a new 32" tv and came across the 32LK450. They had a slew of boxes there....all "D's." However, I thought that it would be okay because the display model had real good viewing angles. Then I checked the serial on the display model and it was a "Y."

What I don't get is why 32" models get short shrift when it comes to panel quality (Panasonic being the exception....but I got one for my nephew last year and we had a real hard time calibrating it to a decent picture and it is still lacking, but I digress). You'd think that they could go with a VA on the really big sets given that there won't be much off-angle viewing with, say, a 60" screen. It's almost as if the manufacturers figure that the 32" ones will be used as computer monitors or something.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:

More senior members will have to chime in here but I think the "bad" black levels are inherent to LCDs in general. You can mitigate that somewhat with a well placed bias light. TV, IMO, should never be watched in complete darkness. FWIW, I'm watching the local evening news right now with a big sliding glass door open to the left of the tv, diffused light, and the detail looks really good (without the bias light), and I have an S-IPS panel.

What's a bias light and, if you would indulge a technologically incompetent like myself, what would constitute one being well-placed?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Hi All,
Newbie here. I just got myself a LG 42LK450-TA STSYLJK. It does have a chevron shape

But I just found out that I have a stuck pixel. Gonna run a LCD stuck pixel flush tonight.

Does this model come with built in blue filter? or any other colour filter?

Besides that, I have question on the colour temp. Which one of the setting is showing 6500K? After resetting the expert setting, it's warm by default. I've went thru the forum and most of the settings posted are using warm too. But seems to me that the white with warm setting is a bit "yellowish". Any anyone shade some light on this? I'm still in progress of setting up the LCD thou, and I dont own a sensor for fine tweaking..

Thanks.

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv