Official LG xxLK520 xxLK450 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 2833 Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post

Hi guys,

How would the 47lk450 be for watching movies , sports? . I also play xbox 360.

Thanks

From what I understand it is very similar, if not exact, to last year's model in which case you'd be very pleased.
Otto Pylot is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 2833 Old 09-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Member
 
John.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

From what I understand it is very similar, if not exact, to last year's model in which case you'd be very pleased.

Thanks Otto,

I understand this is an LG thread but may I ask what would be better for my needs ? . The LG 47lk450 or Toshiba 46G310U. Toshiba is 120 hz

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-46G310...=5336055023-20

Thanks !
John. is offline  
post #633 of 2833 Old 09-17-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post

Thanks Otto,

I understand this is an LG thread but may I ask what would be better for my needs ? . The LG 47lk450 or Toshiba 46G310U. Toshiba is 120 hz

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-46G310...=5336055023-20

Thanks !

I don't know anything about the Toshiba so I can't help you there. I know that the folks who have the LD450 have been very happy. I have the 47LD520 and just love it. If you do get the 450, there's lots of help here.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #634 of 2833 Old 09-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Zuk109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post


It's a 1080p only, with 3 HDMI inputs and 1 component. WiFi-ready but you need to use an adapter. Seems to be a stripped down model of the 520 only with WiFi capability. I have a 47LD520 with lots of features and options but no WiFI. I prefer to have my WiFi not integrated. Less problems, easier to upgrade, and usually more robust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daye View Post

the LK530 is bettter them the 520 cuz it has the wifi dont use it tho and it has apps an other stuff an it has a browser but flash videos wont play on dailymotion if you hook it up to the net with a cat6a cable like i did you can check for firmware updates if it finds new firmware the tv downloads an installs it

list of apps

youtube
vudu
cinemanow
amazon
huluplus
napster
twitter
picasa



I appreciate it guys. Thanks!
Zuk109 is offline  
post #635 of 2833 Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello! New to this thread as I just picked up a 47LK520 tonight after spending several days pouring over the copious amount of information here. I made sure to get an S-IPS panel (verified by checking for the chevron pattern), and after some rough calibration, I'm pretty darned pleased. The only thing that stands out right now is that the off-axis image in the vertical domain is not very good -- i.e.: if you stand up and look down on the screen it's pretty washed out. But hey, I plan to do most of my watching sitting down!

This really is an amazing TV, especially considering the price. I'm a video engineer and pretty particular about TVs/monitors. I bought a bunch of 19-inch LGs for use in the TV station a couple of years ago, as they were the only ones I could find that looked decent. The sheer number of controls goes way beyond what I could find elsewhere.

Anyway, I thought about spending more on a set, but most of what I see in the more expensive models are things I don't want: LED backlighting looks "off" to me -- and I don't need any more whiz-bang features. Just give me an honest, unenhanced picture and I'm satisfied. This LG does just that.

Thanks to all for the great info in this thread!
videojanitor is offline  
post #636 of 2833 Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post
Hello! New to this thread as I just picked up a 47LK520 tonight after spending several days pouring over the copious amount of information here. I made sure to get an S-IPS panel (verified by checking for the chevron pattern), and after some rough calibration, I'm pretty darned pleased. The sheer number of controls goes way beyond what I could find elsewhere.

Anyway, I thought about spending more on a set, but most of what I see in the more expensive models are things I don't want: LED backlighting looks "off" to me -- and I don't need any more whiz-bang features. Just give me an honest, unenhanced picture and I'm satisfied. This LG does just that.

Thanks to all for the great info in this thread!
We agree. The mid range LGs offer unsurpassed picture controls and with 10 point IRE gray scale adjust it can be awesome as they say! The S-IPS panel is superb and like many LCD panels does fade some in the vertical plane. That said, with even some modest setup, it offers a beautiful display. Use of the AVS HD709 disc really can maximize picture quality. It's also very nice to hear that an video engineer owner verifies what us others already have found.

The "LK" series is pretty much identical to last years "LD" series. If you haven't already you may find additional helpful discussions in this thread:*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1271152*
Phase700B is offline  
post #637 of 2833 Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

We agree. The mid range LGs offer unsurpassed picture controls and with 10 point IRE gray scale adjust it can be awesome as they say!

Indeed. That's what first attracted me to the 19-inch sets -- I had never seen that many adjustments available in a consumer monitor. Having been used to adjusting broadcast monitors which have every adjustment under the sun, I was always frustrated by the lack of control available on consumer sets. This is just what I was looking for.

Maybe I haven't stumbled across it yet, but is there a way to copy all the settings from one input to another? I found an "apply to all inputs" option, but it didn't seem to copy the backlight/contrast/brightness, etc., settings. I'm going to grab the settings you've posted here and try applying them to the ISF2 mode and see how it looks vs what I've already done. The basic settings are already very close to what I eyeballed.

Thanks for the link to the other thread -- I will take a look through what's there -- who knows, my question might be answered there.
videojanitor is offline  
post #638 of 2833 Old 09-19-2011, 02:13 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post
Indeed.

Maybe I haven't stumbled across it yet, but is there a way to copy all the settings from one input to another? I found an "apply to all inputs" option, but it didn't seem to copy the backlight/contrast/brightness, etc., settings. I'm going to grab the settings you've posted here and try applying them to the ISF2 mode and see how it looks vs what I've already done. The basic settings are already very close to what I eyeballed.

Thanks for the link to the other thread -- I will take a look through what's there -- who knows, my question might be answered there.
Here are three settings you might try. Since you have a 47LK520, the second one from Djams may be best. See what you think. I found Djams settings too dark for my TV and also too green. But LG has used different main boards at time during a model year too. One thing I've noticed is that the Expert setting I use for HDMI are not suitable for my OTA broadcast settings. I had to tweek setting significantly to get a good gray scale for OTA. I've obtained very good gray scale now for OTA, based on how B&W material looks and also color test patterns on from my local PBS. When I just transferred IREs from my HDMI? findings, things looked too red. The last setting is my last setting for OTA with some "revised" values included.


Also,I've also found that you will get different readings with colorimeter if I do a cal with the 4 different Blu-ray players I have. Not a a terrible difference, but enough that I can see it and did 4 cals for each of the 4 players.

When you use the "apply to all inputs" I thought it transferred all settings. But it might have just been ISF Expert values.

 

LG 42LD550 HDMI Input ISF EXPERT Baseline 4-5-11 Usable Range.txt 1.5712890625k . file

 

Djam 47LD520 Expert Super Brite HDMI 4-22-11.txt 1.0732421875k . file

 

LG 42LD550 OTA_Cable ISF EXPERT2 Pre Medium 2-10-11 Usable Range.txt 1.2763671875k . file
Phase700B is offline  
post #639 of 2833 Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
how does the LG 42LK450 stack up against the Samsung LN40D550?

Currently I've been playing around with the LG 37LH30 from 09' for the past few days and to be honest i'm quite satisfied with the picture.
The input lag is next to nothing, the black levels are pretty solid, it's extremely bright and fantastic when the cell light is set to 100, the motion is actually pretty impressive
(Not CRT impressive, but close), yet the color 'while good' when set to 90-100 that is, could be a smidge better....Plus it was somewhat lacking(depending) in shadow detail.

Messing with the dynamic color mode when setting it to low or high basically destroys detail and patterns(for ex) ect ect in videogames and the like,
but in return it makes the colors more vivid, vibrant and eye popping...It's a win lose situation. ;p
And I can't stand using those Dynamic Contrast & Edge enhancement modes, it's just more artificial gimmicky junk.

Anyways, How does the that LG model compare to their 2011 LK450?
WaveBoy is offline  
post #640 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Here are three settings you might try. Since you have a 47LK520, the second one from Djams may be best. See what you think. I found Djams settings too dark for my TV and also too green. But LG has used different main boards at time during a model year too.

Thanks for those settings. I'll try entering them when I get a chance. Ran into a weird problem tonight that I am still trying to figure out. Started watching "Breaking Bad" via iTunes/Apple TV and saw some really WEIRD artifacts. On a regular basis, the picture would go into what I can only describe as "slow motion." People would be walking and all of sudden the video would appear to get slower for a second or so, or perhaps more correctly it looked like it was repeating frames which completely changed the motion.

I was driving my wife crazy by continually stopping the show and rewinding to check it out -- but it wasn't always repeatable in the same spot. I plugged the Apple TV into another monitor and no such problem was visible. I tried playing other shows with the Apple TV and the same thing happened -- however, I don't see this with OTA, Blu-ray, DirecTV DVR, or a Western Digital Live box. Not sure what is going on here, but it is like nothing I've ever seen.

I can't find any setting in the TV which might cause this, so I am stumped at the moment.
videojanitor is offline  
post #641 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 05:21 AM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Thanks for those settings. I'll try entering them when I get a chance. Ran into a weird problem tonight that I am still trying to figure out. Started watching "Breaking Bad" via iTunes/Apple TV and saw some really WEIRD artifacts. On a regular basis, the picture would go into what I can only describe as "slow motion." People would be walking and all of sudden the video would appear to get slower for a second or so, or perhaps more correctly it looked like it was repeating frames which completely changed the motion.

I was driving my wife crazy by continually stopping the show and rewinding to check it out -- but it wasn't always repeatable in the same spot. I plugged the Apple TV into another monitor and no such problem was visible. I tried playing other shows with the Apple TV and the same thing happened -- however, I don't see this with OTA, Blu-ray, DirecTV DVR, or a Western Digital Live box. Not sure what is going on here, but it is like nothing I've ever seen.

I can't find any setting in the TV which might cause this, so I am stumped at the moment.

Ahh yes, this seems to crop up for owners on some models from time to time with some sources from cable boxes, xBox, PS3, etc. Myself and others have not experienced it. The only thing I have seen on my 42LD550 is some frame drop when connected to my HTPC. But I only have an actual 1.7mb/s to 2.3mb/s DSL line, so I attribute it to my slow internet speed. In fact, I can't even do VuDu on the TV or Blu-ray without a lot of buffering.


However, it seems to have to do with a mismatch of the LG panel refresh (120HZ) versus the signal source frame rate. You might try changing the Apple TV settings just to see if that stops it. Otto Pylot has an AppleTV unit and he doesn't experience any issues. Perhaps you can compare TV/AppleTV settings with him. If I recall correctly, some owners resolved it by changing the signal source to either 1080i or 720p if possible.

*EDIT* I just reviewed the AppleTV specs and see it is 720p? I'm wondering if it is a difference between some of the NTSC and ATSC frame rates? I'm sure you know these specs, but here is what Wiki has on it, particularly the section on frame rates:
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television

If you search the xxLD550 etc thread I posted earlier, there are several pages of discussion about it. I'll repost a recent post about it here for others is they have the issue:

* At least two of the "keys" seems to be it can be remedied by going to 720p with some input devices/source and it seems if the source is either a game system,cable box, or HTPC feeding a 1080 signal then the stuttering may occur.

It will be interesting if Henry can verify if his LG Blu-ray player does it. I Don't think it will, but if it does it may have to do with a particular main board rev level. The reason I say that is because my 42LD550 exhibits no stutter with 4 different Blu-ray players even at 1080p 24fps. I do get something that looks like occasional frame drops with my HTPC, but no video "slow down- speedup" and I attribute the frame drop to my relative slow 3mbps (1.9mbps to 2.3mbps) DSL speed.

I still believe it has something to do also, at least with some LD sub models, with feeding a 1080p 60HZ signal to the TV. This was not really a standard HDTV signal format. It also seems to be linked with the fact we have 120HZ panels, so it may have to do with faulty implementation of panel refresh verses input signal frame rate. In other words, the panel refresh (120HZ) is not syncing quite right with the FRAME rate of either 24fps and with some 60fps sources. Remember. . . Panel Refresh is not the same thing as input signal Frame Rate. . . but they are related in that the TV must be able to somehow match the two for proper display. This is a legacy leftover form CRT days when frame rate essentially WAS the same as CRT SCAN RATE. Since fixed pixel displays no longer "scan" an image onto the screen. Instead, the input video is processed into a digital bit stream, loaded into a memory buffer , and subsequently delivered as a complete picture "frame" in real time. But what if the overhead between this processing is not fast enough to keep up with the incoming analog or digital video signal? Then the TV might fail to process one or more frames now and then, till it catches up. . . resulting in a "stutter" or lost frame image. Well. . . this is just my opinion based on my understanding of how digital TVs now operate vs how they USED to operate.
*
Phase700B is offline  
post #642 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Thanks for those settings. I'll try entering them when I get a chance. Ran into a weird problem tonight that I am still trying to figure out. Started watching "Breaking Bad" via iTunes/Apple TV and saw some really WEIRD artifacts. On a regular basis, the picture would go into what I can only describe as "slow motion." People would be walking and all of sudden the video would appear to get slower for a second or so, or perhaps more correctly it looked like it was repeating frames which completely changed the motion.

I was driving my wife crazy by continually stopping the show and rewinding to check it out -- but it wasn't always repeatable in the same spot. I plugged the Apple TV into another monitor and no such problem was visible. I tried playing other shows with the Apple TV and the same thing happened -- however, I don't see this with OTA, Blu-ray, DirecTV DVR, or a Western Digital Live box. Not sure what is going on here, but it is like nothing I've ever seen.

I can't find any setting in the TV which might cause this, so I am stumped at the moment.

Is this an AppleTV or an AppleTV2? I have the ATV2 and the 47LD520 and have never seen the dreaded studder issue when watching Netflix or the few shows we've watched via iTunes. As Phase discovered, the only output resolution is 720p so there's nothing to change there and other "settings" are few and far between (basically there are none), at least on the ATV2. Is your other monitor 120Hz as well and did this just start happening, iow, have you successfully used the ATV before with no issues? It almost sounds like an interference issue. Did you have to move the ATV to another location when it worked ok with your monitor and how is your internet service? I know the ATV seems to be a little more sensitive to bandwidth availability than other devices (faster speeds is mo' betta'). Most recent upgrade?

FWIW, I don't see any studdering or related issues on my 47LD520 with either Blu-ray (even using the built-in WiFi of the player) or OTA.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #643 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the responses guys -- glad to know that I am not going crazy (well, at least not yet anyway!). To answer the questions that were asked:

1. It's an AppleTV2.

2. The other monitor I tried was not 120Hz -- it was a 19-inch LG.

3. This is the first time I've seen this. I previously watched the ATV2 through a 2007-vintage Panasonic plasma with no ill effects. I still have that TV and will try looking at this episode on it just to see what happens. The TV is sitting on the floor in the corner -- the panel went bad (large pink bar in the middle of the picture), hence it was replaced by the new LG.

3. ATV2 has not moved. Old TV came out, new one went in -- same cables, same everything.

4. I have Comcast internet -- typically get 15+ mb/s down. However, I am not streaming these episodes. They are downloaded to my Mac, then viewed with "home sharing" via wired gigabit ethernet. I did try streaming some previously purchased shows and saw the same problem.

As you point out, there are few to no output settings on the ATV2, so this may just be some weird incompatibility between the two devices. As long as it's just limited to the ATV2, I can work around it.

Oh, just had a thought -- I connected my iPad to the TV via HDMI and thought maybe it would be OK via that route. Unfortunately, same thing.
videojanitor is offline  
post #644 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I just reviewed the AppleTV specs and see it is 720p? I'm wondering if it is a difference between some of the NTSC and ATSC frame rates?

Yeah, that was my first thought, but I tried changing one of my DirecTV DVRs to output 720p, and there was no problem. This is a weird one to be sure.
videojanitor is offline  
post #645 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Yeah, that was my first thought, but I tried changing one of my DirecTV DVRs to output 720p, and there was no problem. This is a weird one to be sure.

It is pretty unusual. And it doesn't necessarily track model number or screen size. Otto's 47LD520 doesn't do it, yet some others did. Ergo my thoughts of differing main boards or main board firmware revision? And some owners have the issue with cable or sat boxes, but you don't. Some had issues with Blu-ray playback, but it was mostly with xBoz or PS3.

Well, if anyone can ferret this out a video engineer can! There are a number of us who would like to see if there is a commonality of this. Maybe you could contact LG and go beyond tier one support. Use your professional designation to, mmmmm, push them to look into it since it is on TVs from 2010 and now 2011 in the LD and LK line?

It was really perplexing to those of us who didn't have or see the stutter. We thought it may have been a 24fps vs 60fps issue at first. Here is something you can try. . . There is a Host Diagnostic screen. Connect up the AppleTV and make sure it is happening. Then, go into Menu, Enter, Left arrow, and step down to Option, but do not enter it. Then hit 1,1,1,1,1 on your remote. There should be detailed info displayed as to what input signal you are using and it's characteristics. Hit "EXit" to stop the Host Diagnostics. This can be used on OTA also. Great way to tell what's what with input signal source. Record what the data is for the AppleTV, then try your DirectTV with a HD signal to the TV and see look at the Host Diagnostics screen again to compare. Worth a shot.

This screen will also give you Firware details that might be useful to LG if you choose to call them about this.
Phase700B is offline  
post #646 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post


Oh, just had a thought -- I connected my iPad to the TV via HDMI and thought maybe it would be OK via that route. Unfortunately, same thing.

Hmmm, my son connects his MBP via mini-HDMI to our LG and he all of a sudden has a 47" monitor that is so clear he can do his homework (and play some games) on it from 10' away! We stream Burn Notice via Hulu that way and it looks great. We use HDMI3 and don't change the input name. I had forgotten about the Diagnostics Menu on the LG that Phase mentioned so that may be a good way to at least what you are feeding the LG. We rarely stream thru iTunes so maybe it's an issue with them?
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #647 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Here is something you can try. . . There is a Host Diagnostic screen. Connect up the AppleTV and make sure it is happening. Then, go into Menu, Enter, Left arrow, and step down to Option, but do not enter it. Then hit 1,1,1,1,1 on your remote. There should be detailed info displayed as to what input signal you are using and it's characteristics.

Interesting. Just tried it. The only difference noted between the AppleTV and the DirecTV DVR is this parameter: "Active Format" -- AppleTV reads "10," while the DirecTV box reads "8." No idea how to interpret that!

I was reading the messages in the "LD" thread, and certainly what is described there is exactly what I am seeing. Not sure how far to pursue it -- if it happened on everything, I would be returning this set for sure as that is too annoying for me to watch. The bigger issue is that if I returned it, WHAT would I buy? It seems there is some issue with EVERYTHING. Weird things too, like this, that you would never even think about beforehand. If you read the thread about pretty much anything, you'll be scared off!

Speaking off, I am off to work now, so that ends this fun for awhile. I will play with this more later tonight and report back anything I find.

Thanks for your help!
videojanitor is offline  
post #648 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

We use HDMI3 and don't change the input name.

Hmmm, there's something to try -- I've been doing all these tests through HDMI 2 -- I should try a different port just for yuks.

Edit: Nope. Still happens.
videojanitor is offline  
post #649 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It's odd that some of you guys are saying the LG's LK450 has noticable and unimpressive input lag....
Because my LG 37LH30 from 09' has no real noticable lag imo and I've been gaming on CRT's for years....I was pretty damn impressed with how little lag there was...

You'd think the LK450 would be on par, if not better than the LH30 in this regard. Has anybody compared the two input lag-wise?
WaveBoy is offline  
post #650 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Interesting. Just tried it. The only difference noted between the AppleTV and the DirecTV DVR is this parameter: "Active Format" -- AppleTV reads "10," while the DirecTV box reads "8." No idea how to interpret that!

I was reading the messages in the "LD" thread, and certainly what is described there is exactly what I am seeing. Not sure how far to pursue it -- if it happened on everything, I would be returning this set for sure as that is too annoying for me to watch. The bigger issue is that if I returned it, WHAT would I buy? It seems there is some issue with EVERYTHING. Weird things too, like this, that you would never even think about beforehand. If you read the thread about pretty much anything, you'll be scared off!

Speaking off, I am off to work now, so that ends this fun for awhile. I will play with this more later tonight and report back anything I find.

Thanks for your help!

Wow, didn't know you were a "night engineer", so that explains the 2:30AM posts when not many are awake or around. If you are home during the day and are playing with the TC I'm usually here to bounce things off of. Interesting about he Video format 8 and 10 thing. Where they both 720p signals fed to it? I would try and duplicate the same signal type feed to the same input and see what you get.

Yes, and you are right, with HDTV their are all sorts of issues. I thought this would be a break in period with the bugs getting worked out after 5 or 6 years. But, nope, my fears are that HDTV is too much akin to computers what with firmware, chip sets, etc. Not too mention the differing panel technologies. I went from being a plasma guy (early adopter) , then thought about a Pioneer 1080p in 2007 but tried a Toshiba 47" LCD, had vertical banding, then settled on the Mitsubishi LT-46231 which I still have. Wanted a new TV for the lower level and tried Samsung, Sony (too pricey for similar features and didn't like it's issues. Happened upon the LG and found it's great picture controls and relative few issues. I said the same thing you did. No other TV in it's price range has this much in the way of picture calibration controls.
Phase700B is offline  
post #651 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
After realising that the LK450 has a wooden stripe at the screen's bottom just made my tummy churn....ya, i think I'll pass. Maybe I should just take a trip back to the stone age in 09' and pick myself up a 42LH30. lol
WaveBoy is offline  
post #652 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Hmmm, there's something to try -- I've been doing all these tests through HDMI 2 -- I should try a different port just for yuks.

Edit: Nope. Still happens.

I didn't mean to imply trying a different physical input (even though that doesn't hurt when you're trying to rule things out) I meant labeling the input other than HDMI3 (like pc, set top box, etc)
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #653 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

After realising that the LK450 has a wooden stripe at the screen's bottom just made my tummy churn....ya, i think I'll pass. Maybe I should just take a trip back to the stone age in 09' and pick myself up a 42LH30. lol

Curious as to what the "wooden stripe" you speak of means? Anyone else knows what this means?
Phase700B is offline  
post #654 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Curious as to what the "wooden stripe" you speak of means? Anyone else knows what this means?

Apparently aesthetics are more important than pq and functionality?
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #655 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well considering the LK450 is pretty much a mediocre display, I don't think it really matters. lol
Also, the wooden-like brown stripe is clearly apperant in that Website's(forgot the name) review which shows a bunch of close ups of the TV itself.

It's quite ugly to be honest, and hear I thought Samsungs Red Touch of Color was iffy. Then again, the Brown wooden stripe kind of brings back that rad 80's retro wooden TV flavour which is actually kind of cool....Maybe it would just take some time to warm up to.
WaveBoy is offline  
post #656 of 2833 Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
^^^^ Troll alert!
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #657 of 2833 Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Wow, didn't know you were a "night engineer", so that explains the 2:30AM posts when not many are awake or around.

Well, I'm a "swing shift" guy, or as I like to call it, "prime-time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Interesting about the Video format 8 and 10 thing. Where they both 720p signals fed to it?

Yes sir. The AppleTV only does 720p -- I set the DirecTV box to match, then I just hot-swapped the HDMI cable between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

I went from being a plasma guy (early adopter) , then thought about a Pioneer 1080p in 2007 but tried a Toshiba 47" LCD, had vertical banding, then settled on the Mitsubishi LT-46231 which I still have. Wanted a new TV for the lower level and tried Samsung, Sony (too pricey for similar features and didn't like it's issues. Happened upon the LG and found it's great picture controls and relative few issues.

Sounds like we're both display nuts (and I mean that in a positive way!). My main "TV" for years was a Tektronix 17-inch professional CRT monitor that set me back $5K (in 1980). Since then I've had a Sony 27-inch XBR (SD), a Sony XBR 30-inch CRT (HD), the first Panasonic 1080p 42-inch plasma (which just broke), and now the LG. I also have a 12-inch Sony professional CRT monitor, and the 11-inch Sony XEL-1 OLED.

So yes, I am coo-coo about displays ...
videojanitor is offline  
post #658 of 2833 Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
videojanitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I didn't mean to imply trying a different physical input (even though that doesn't hurt when you're trying to rule things out) I meant labeling the input other than HDMI3 (like pc, set top box, etc)

I never thought about that. Not sure why that would make a difference, but I'll give anything a try ...



... unfortunately, no difference.
videojanitor is offline  
post #659 of 2833 Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^ Troll alert!

I'm getting sick of the word Troll, let's call it Gremlin. F*** ya!
Anyways, I was a little suprised about the LK450 after reading that incredibly negative review from that HDTV review site. If the picture glare and weaker brightness from the plasma i end up getting doesn't do it for me i'd rather opt to LCD, but I'm having a hard time finding a Samsung or LG 1080p 40-42" display that fits my needs.

The LK450 was an option, but apperantly the input lag is pretty bad, and then there's the Samsung PND550....
WaveBoy is offline  
post #660 of 2833 Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Well, I'm a "swing shift" guy, or as I like to call it, "prime-time."

Sounds like we're both display nuts (and I mean that in a positive way!). My main "TV" for years was a Tektronix 17-inch professional CRT monitor that set me back $5K (in 1980). Since then I've had a Sony 27-inch XBR (SD), a Sony XBR 30-inch CRT (HD), the first Panasonic 1080p 42-inch plasma (which just broke), and now the LG. I also have a 12-inch Sony professional CRT monitor, and the 11-inch Sony XEL-1 OLED.

So yes, I am coo-coo about displays ...

Wow, how is that OLED compared to the LG? Probably no contest. Wasn't that little 11 incher pricey?

Besides the TVs mentioned, I had 2 Hitachi Ultravisons the last a 57" RPTV and the original start of all this was the horrific RCA 51" RPTV. I got really tired of convergence and color purity issues with those. Even with internal masking, taping, etc. They were ok in "the day". Last year before settling on the 42LD550, besides the Samsungs and Sonys, I looked at 2 Vizio models, plus auditioned a few TVs for family members. The LGs still are about the only ones even up to the $1,500 range that offer so much in the way of video settings. My sister and hubby, bought a Sony 46EX700 and I played with it for an hour or two. I wasn't impressed for the money. Besides it being LED, it just didn't impress me. Nice bright picture and all, but no depth to it and color seemed "cartoony" no matter what the settings.

I remember in your original post you mentioned not liking LED either. I found them not worth the price and most have back light issues and other problems. Some seem to suffer from poor panel support with the makers going for thin and ultra-thin bezels. Even LG LED models seem plagued with corner light leakage, etc. I think once you get over the 40" to 47" panel size, uniformity issues seem to magnify. And if there is flexing in manufacturing or shipping then it shows up at home. Just my 2 cents.
Phase700B is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off