post #721 of 2833 Old 10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

SO anyways, instead just because i wanted to test it out for input lag, i picked up the '32" LK450.

As for it being an ISP or VA pannel, i have no idea....Couldn't find any 'Y' in the product number, there was a D however. Guess I'll have to take a magnifying glass to the screen to find out. I did notice that the viewing angles seem pretty great however, so maybe that's an indication that it is infact an ISP panel. Anyways, i need to play around with it much more today before returning it and hopefully getting the 42" at visions.

I don't think LG offered the S-IPS panel is sizes smaller than 37".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2833 Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I don't think LG offered the S-IPS panel is sizes smaller than 37".

People have mentioned getting S-IPS 32LK450s. It might be a regional thing as I haven't seen any locally. I recently gave up on it and ended up getting a Samsung LN32D550 because I figured that if I was to end up getting a VA panel, it might as well be a better one.

As for LG as a brand in general? They have plenty of S-IPS panels in their 32" (LD450) and even 26" TVs (LE5300). Problem is they have a nasty panel lottery.
post #723 of 2833 Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post

People have mentioned getting S-IPS 32LK450s. It might be a regional thing as I haven't seen any locally. I recently gave up on it and ended up getting a Samsung LN32D550 because I figured that if I was to end up getting a VA panel, it might as well be a better one.

As for LG as a brand in general? They have plenty of S-IPS panels in their 32" (LD450) and even 26" TVs (LE5300). Problem is they have a nasty panel lottery.

I don't know about the regional thing and as far as the smaller than 37" question, I haven't seen any confirmation (loupe test). However, if that's true, great!
post #724 of 2833 Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I don't know about the regional thing and as far as the smaller than 37" question, I haven't seen any confirmation (loupe test). However, if that's true, great!

We've had this conversation before

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20601006
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20603536
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20603897
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20610595

This is not the first or only person that I've seen claim to have a 32" S-IPS "Y" panel. It does seem fairly rare though and possibly regional.

But yeah, for the 2010 models there were plenty of 26 - 32 inch LGs with S-IPS panels.
post #725 of 2833 Old 10-21-2011, 07:58 AM

The regional theory is a good one, I had been starting to think that this was he case. I can definitely attest to the fact that I can't find a S-IPS variant of this monitor anywhere near me in Maryland! I've considered giving the MVA "D" panel a try, but I have a feeling I won't like it. Maybe I should see if I can track down that Samsung locally...
post #726 of 2833 Old 10-21-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post

We've had this conversation before

This is not the first or only person that I've seen claim to have a 32" S-IPS "Y" panel. It does seem fairly rare though and possibly regional.

But yeah, for the 2010 models there were plenty of 26 - 32 inch LGs with S-IPS panels.

You are correct. I seem to have more "senior moments" than I care to admit I'm a little confused though on why it would, or could, be regional. At any rate, I guess for this year just look for the "Y" in any size(?) to give one an indication of panel type.
post #727 of 2833 Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Just picked up the 55lk520, so far so good, didnt do any real calibration, give it time to break in a bit.
My question is computer is hooked up via vga and all my dvds look very crappy,(except or disney anni) this is from home theatre pc with lg blue ray drive.
Would connecting it either dvi-hdmi or hdmi-hdmi work better?
Thanks for any assistance.
post #728 of 2833 Old 10-23-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_canavo View Post

Just picked up the 55lk520, so far so good, didnt do any real calibration, give it time to break in a bit.
My question is computer is hooked up via vga and all my dvds look very crappy,(except or disney anni) this is from home theatre pc with lg blue ray drive.
Would connecting it either dvi-hdmi or hdmi-hdmi work better?
Thanks for any assistance.

If your computer has HDMI out then I'd use that. We can connect the MBP via mini-HDMI to HDMI using the HDMI3 input and it looks great! Almost like having a 47" monitor (I have the 47LD520).
post #729 of 2833 Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
For some wierd reason my LGLK450 won't work via HDMI or through component when using my Wii and PS3 hooked up to a Receiver...What's the deal? I've got an HDMI cable running from my PS3 to my Receiver, and another HDMI cable running from my receiver to my TV, same deal with the wii but with component. I never had a problem with this for my SDTV, since it worked fine.

But on the LG LK450, it says 'no signal'...
I mean I want to test out my new Sennhesier HD595 headphones, but the LG just isn't getting an image from the connection. ;p
post #730 of 2833 Old 10-24-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's something that doesn't quite make any sense. Now I've been saying that the LK450 when gaming on the Wii Via component cable is near CRT Lag free perfect, yet when i was testing out a few 'PS3' games via HDMI the input lag was actually slightly worse.....

I tested out Mega Man 9 on both the Wii and PS3, and the Wii version performed a bit better in the lag department. Weird....Maybe it's because of the PS3's HDMI connection, if that even makes any sense.
post #731 of 2833 Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

For some wierd reason my LGLK450 won't work via HDMI or through component when using my Wii and PS3 hooked up to a Receiver...What's the deal? I've got an HDMI cable running from my PS3 to my Receiver, and another HDMI cable running from my receiver to my TV, same deal with the wii but with component. I never had a problem with this for my SDTV, since it worked fine.

But on the LG LK450, it says 'no signal'...
I mean I want to test out my new Sennhesier HD595 headphones, but the LG just isn't getting an image from the connection. ;p

How do you get an "image" from headphones???

I would say you don't have your AVR set up correctly. Hard to say. You don't say what kind of AVR or whether you've tried a direct connection. Maybe you are "flipping switches" or pressing button too fast. It takes T I M E for an HDMI to make a connection. No offense, but you seem to be a bit impatient, inconsistent with info, and don't give much feedback to any replies in any of the threads you post in. You just seem to ask question after question. . . others really never are sure what you are talking about, and kind of jump around. Kind of tough to give advice or guidance to postings like this.
post #732 of 2833 Old 10-24-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

@Phase - there you are. mail coming your way this week.
post #733 of 2833 Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

How do you get an "image" from headphones???

I would say you don't have your AVR set up correctly. Hard to say. You don't say what kind of AVR or whether you've tried a direct connection. Maybe you are "flipping switches" or pressing button too fast. It takes T I M E for an HDMI to make a connection. No offense, but you seem to be a bit impatient, inconsistent with info, and don't give much feedback to any replies in any of the threads you post in. You just seem to ask question after question. . . others really never are sure what you are talking about, and kind of jump around. Kind of tough to give advice or guidance to postings like this.

...What in the hell are you going on about now? HDMI supports both image and sound, I'm using my Sennheiser headphones on my sony 7.1 receiver through an HDMI signal, like i always have before(Component for image on my CRT, and HDMI for sound hooked up to my PS3 to my receiver for my headphones) but in this case my LG isn't recognising the HDMI connection OR the component connection for my Wii....Clearly you got confused when i said 'image' as in I need an Image to actually see what i'm actually doing on screen again to test my headphones out. How can I select a movie from my PS3 to test for headphone sound when i can't see what I'm doing?lol

But for some reason both the image and audio don't seem to be working when my LG is hooked up to my HDTV, i'm going to tinker with it some more but i have a feeling it 'might' be either the Mono Price HDMI cable or my other component cable....Funny enough my previous LG wouldn't even support 1080p with the mono price HDMI cable, so i had to buy another one from BB. and for the record, all of your posts towards me have been nothing but rude and you're coming off like some semi elitist jerk.

And i don't give much feedback based on replies? Are you kidding me?LOL I'm not tech savy like a lot of you are, nor do i care to be. But I do try my best at giving out info based on my opinion, coming from somebody who isn't exactly again tech savy. Geez, sorry if most of my posts aren't a sea of text for you to drown in.
post #734 of 2833 Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Liked: 24
^ ^ ^
Well, it all is a bit clearer now.. . at least to some degree. Rude? In "all my posts"? I do not recall so and included "No offense" ,but clearly you are sensitive to constructive advice in how to obtain the info you are looking for when making a post. Also, I used no expletives in any of my posts as you just did. Apologies. . . I will refrain from any more comments. But even if you aren't tech savvy, you could at least try and construct your posts using decent sentence construction and grammar; as well as do some technical reading to become a bit more "tech savvy" about the equipment you purchase and wish to use, so that others can respond to an intelligent question or comment from you.
post #735 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM

So I finally was able to find the elusive 37LK450 "Y" S-IPS panel TV.

I called about 10 Best Buys in the area and none had the "Y" version. I was getting ready to give up, but then I called American TV (chain local to midwest) and the guy checked the model on the floor and confirmed it to be the "Y" model. When i got to the store, they checked the brand new TVs they had in the back and all of them were "D" model. So i talked them into selling me the floor model with a slight discount.

Doing the lupe test confirmed it to be the S-IPS "<<<<" panel.

Mine was manufactured in Mexico in March 2011. I am seriously starting to think that the newer 32"/37" shipments these stores are recieving are all "D" models (42/47 are much easier to find it seems). It seems like you have a better chance of finding a "Y" model with older stock.

In any case, I bough this to be my primary PC monitor/gaming monitor. So my DVI to HDMI cable is on the way. As soon as I will get it, I will post the results of my testing. I will test for the proper 4:4:4 support and the input lag feel. I don't think i would be able to do the scientific input lag test, i have to see how that is done and how much it would cost.

I will post my findings in a few days. But for now, a separate question:

What firmware was your TV shipped with and what firmware are you running now?

I see there is version 05.00.01 posted on the LGs support site. Is that what was shipped with your TV? If not, do we not what chances are in it? How can I check what version the TV has now?
post #736 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Congratulations on finding an S-IPS panel! Perserverance does pay off. For some reason, I think LG just has small production runs of the various screen sizes with S-IPS panels. Parts availablitity? QC? I don't know. For me, I just walked into our local BB and looked at the boxed 47LD520s. One had the "W" (last year's determination) and I grabbed it. Mine was also manufactured in Mexico and other countries.

I don't know what the current firmware version is for this year's 450 but if I remember correctly, there is a menu option somewhere (System Information?) that should tell you the firmware version and hours of operation. Is the 450 internet capable? I don't remember. Usually, if updates are available, they are more for the netapps than they are for tv functionality. I've never seen and update for my 520 (which is not network capable) in almost a year now.
post #737 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks.
Just for reference: my 37LK450 had 03.02.03 firmware loaded and I have upgraded to 05.00.01
Not sure what the changes were.
post #738 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3MaxT View Post

Thanks.
Just for reference: my 37LK450 had 03.02.03 firmware loaded and I have upgraded to 05.00.01
Not sure what the changes were.

The new firmware only changes the format of the on-screen clock (the one that appears when you turn on the TV), from military time to AM/PM time.
post #739 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post

The new firmware only changes the format of the on-screen clock (the one that appears when you turn on the TV), from military time to AM/PM time.

Ah. Thanks.
Do you know if there were any other versions between the two i listed?
post #740 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm looking to get either a 37lk450 or a 42lk450. It seems none of the stores around me in NJ have ips 37 inch lks, but all of the 42 inch lks are ips.

I know the pixel pitch is probably going to cause me eye strain, but the 42 inch sets seem to be the only ips option without playing a panel lottery.

My question is, why is the price of the 42 inch lks the same price or cheaper as the 37 inch sets?

on a side not, the best buy closest to where I live has a display 37 inch that is ips, but the two on the stock shelf are both pva. Anyone ever have success in purchasing a display model from bestbuy that wasn't sold out?
post #741 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3MaxT View Post

Ah. Thanks.
Do you know if there were any other versions between the two i listed?

No. I check often LG's support web site to keep my TV up to date and from version 03.02.03 they jumped to 05.00.01. My 42LK450, bought in May came too with the 03.02.03 version.
post #742 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post

No. I check often LG's support web site to keep my TV up to date and from version 03.02.03 they jumped to 05.00.01. My 42LK450, bought in May came too with the 03.02.03 version.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
post #743 of 2833 Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlikegaza View Post

My question is, why is the price of the 42 inch lks the same price or cheaper as the 37 inch sets?

on a side not, the best buy closest to where I live has a display 37 inch that is ips, but the two on the stock shelf are both pva. Anyone ever have success in purchasing a display model from bestbuy that wasn't sold out?

My guess is becayse they make a lot more 42 inch panels than 37 so it's cheaper for them to make or they mark them up lower since they sell more of them.

Note sure, but I was able to buy a display model at another similar chain (American TV). I don't see why they wouldn't seel you one and crack open another one. A sale is a sale. They may not mark it down though.
post #744 of 2833 Old 10-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Very disappointing...my LG 55LK520 has clouding going on in the bottom right corner as I posted earlier in the thread. Getting worse. Going to get Best Buy to stop by as I bought the 4 year warranty through them. They better honor their warranty. Very upset that this has happened. Hope they don't try to give me the run around as I have only had the tv 2 weeks or so.

Anyone else have the clouding curse?
post #745 of 2833 Old 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I too got the Dreaded Clouded curse! I picked up my 42" LK450 yesterday at Visions, and when i had it finally set up i noticed right away that there was a blotchy-like cloud in the upper right corner of the screen whenever the screen would go black. . Plus, i think I got a VA panel. When i got home i noticed that the styrofoam inside the box was broken, plus the sloppy re-taped tape job on the top of the box was a clear indication that this model had been returned previously, which i hadn't noticed until i got home. The guys down at Visions must of thought my brother and I were a couple of clueless punks so they gave us a pre-owned TV. Maybe if I came in with a bow tie and a pipe i may of got a sealed TV PLUS an ISP panel.lol

But at this point i honestly don't care anymore.
What I'm curious about is how you can achieve high Clear Whites on Expert mode? in the regular modes like Standard, Vivid, Game and the like there is an option to set Clear Whites to either OFF, Low or High....But there isn't that option in the 2 expert modes unless it's part of the color management tint, color, brightness or Contrast system....

Anybody know? I guess I'll toy around with it.

I had the 32" LK450 previously and I never had any clouding, plus 'Middle' temperature gave off more of a colorful punch which i don't quite get with the 42" model for some reason. I stick it on Cool for gaming and it looks fantastic, and 'warm' for film. Anyways, I pretty happy with this TV! If only the motion were better though, because i can't stand it at times during movies and gaming....
post #746 of 2833 Old 10-29-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TV. Maybe if I came in with a bow tie and a pipe i may of got a sealed TV PLUS an ISP panel.lol

Hmmm, I don't have a bow-tie and a pipe but I do know how to buy a tv
post #747 of 2833 Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Hey folks - I have a 47LK520. Really been enjoying it, but am now having a problem that is driving me crazy.

Watching movies, dark scenes - the backlight will jump around. It will fluctuate between dimmer and brighter, and it is not from the movie source - it is definitely the TV backlight.

Any suggestions? I hate this.
post #748 of 2833 Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 AM

Have the lk520. I see one person reported dirty screen effect/banding. Anyone else? I have it. Willing to try another LG but not sure if it's just normal?

Cheers
post #749 of 2833 Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilse View Post

Hey folks - I have a 47LK520. Really been enjoying it, but am now having a problem that is driving me crazy.

Watching movies, dark scenes - the backlight will jump around. It will fluctuate between dimmer and brighter, and it is not from the movie source - it is definitely the TV backlight.

Any suggestions? I hate this.

Not sure, just got this tv yesterday - perhaps you have "intelligent sensor" turned on and/or energy saving mode?
post #750 of 2833 Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Well i picked up a 55LK520 from wallyworld couldnt beat the price so I jumped on it. No issues with banding/clouding or anything else. Using a mix of setting from the postings here and couldnt be happier. After tweaking the settings this TV is really nice for the price. I am coming from a Panny 46PZ850U which was moved to the bedroom, and have to say that the LG holds it own. Whoever thinks you cant get good blacks out of this TV is crazy. If your expecting to get the kinda pic you would out of a $3000 tv well your kinda setting yourself up for disapointment but overall its a great TV for the price!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page