post #811 of 2833 Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Real Cinema is a conundrum alright. We know what it is supposed to do. In fact, it actually appears that in 120HZ sets it doesn't have any visual effect that I can tell with 24fps material. I have noticed no visual improvement with it on or off. And I also have delved into the Host Diagnostics screen to see if there are any differences in the TV reporting a difference in handling the signal. No surprise there either. In a 120 HZ LG TV, I would expect the 5X handling would be inherent to the function of displaying such material.

So why turn it off? It either does exactly what it's supposed to do (and I believe this to be the case on the LK450's) or it does nothing.

FWIW, it does seem to eliminate 3:2 judder on my LK450 (60/48Hz) at least on scenes that I know to show the issue on my older non-24p capable display. I suppose somebody needs to run a few Spears&Munsil tests to get to the bottom of all this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2833 Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why does everyone choose Color Gamut BT709? I have been flipping back and forth between BT709 and Wide and I can't see any difference, it seems Wide is the default. Is BT709 better, what am I missing here or rather what am I not seeing?
post #813 of 2833 Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM

BT709 is an industry standard with known values IIRC. Subjectively it really is whichever works for you and what you're happiest with.
post #814 of 2833 Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW2112 View Post

BT709 is an industry standard with known values IIRC. Subjectively it really is whichever works for you and what you're happiest with.

Yep. If you calibrate your tv, that's the standard that you need to follow for "proper calibration". It's the standard that movie makers follow, generally speaking.
post #815 of 2833 Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkn0927 View Post

Anyone else's LK450 make high pitch noise when viewing certain pictures?

Mine does when I view this picture...

http://i.imgur.com/UoiES.jpg

Is this normal?

Anyone?
post #816 of 2833 Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Hello, I'll try and help a bit. First, In CCC you should make sure you can identify (detect) the 32LK450. If it just says "Genieric" or some othe monitor (Samsung?) you should change it by doing a manual "detect" or you may have to hack the EDID.

Then, depending on what you will be doing with the monitor [PC and Xbox?], I think you could first try RGB 4:4:4 Studio limited RGB and see how it looks. If the colors seem either too faded or otherwise, then use the
RGB 4:4:4 PC standard FULL RGB. With the "Full" setting, but movies and media may not look exactly right.

Lastly, you can try the "XXLD450" thread here on AVS. There is a huge amount of info regarding 4:4:4 and PC use in that thread that would apply to your 32LK450.

Thanks =)

I have still some issues with the colors
red and pink text on dark blackground is nearly unreadable.
My red is generally a bit too dark.
Here you can test yourself: http://www.snook.ca/technical/colour...st/colour.html

Foreground Colour:
#FF0000
Background Colour:
The text is nearly unreadable on my TV, its soo blurry and cloudy.
And should #FF00FF be violet or pink?

Its soo hard for me to set the colors right... i never see the differences clearly or know how the colors should look like and then the whole picture is messed up =(
when i compare my setting to 'game mode' its too warm i think.
But i don´t know how to correct it.

Here my settings which are generally good for me, but the red/pink text on dark background is verry annoying and white is not white like in the 'standard' picture mode:
Picture mode: Expert 1
lightning: 45
contrast: 86
brightness: 72
h.sahrpness: 50
v.sharpness: 59
color: 52
Tint: R5

Expertsettings
dyn. contrast: off
noise supprechion: off
dig. noise supprechion: off
blacklevel: low
colorscale: BT709
increased contour: off
color filter: off
color temperature: middle
gamma: 2.2
methode: 2-point
model: out
red contrast: 10
green contrast: 0
blue contrast: 0
red brightness: 5
green brightness: 0
blue brightness: 3
color red: 6
red color shade: 5
color green: 0
green color shade: 0
color blue: 2
blue color shade: 2
color yellow: 0
yellow color shade: 0
color cyan: 0
cyan color shade: 0
color magenta: -2
magenta color shade: -2

The settings are up to down from the Home -> Picture menu.
I hope you understand my bad english definitions of the settings.

Can you guys see something clearly failure in my setup?

Is there a setting to get the 'clear white' also in expert mode? it looks fantastic in 'game' picturemode.

Please please help me
post #817 of 2833 Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 AM

I picked up the 42" LK520 last night, It's my first hdtv.
Is it normal for this tv to show more light near the corners when displaying a black screen? Or is it just due to the backlight being too high?
I'm a noobie when it comes to calibrating these, so I might just need to tweak it, but I'd rather know sooner and trade it in on black friday if I have to. Thanks.
post #818 of 2833 Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 AM

Hello erverybody,

I solved my problem now =)

All i had to do was to set the HDMI label to 'PC'

Now everything is super sharp and the colors are right in my eyes.
Iam so happy now
This TV is now sensational good.
post #819 of 2833 Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

So why turn it off? It either does exactly what it's supposed to do (and I believe this to be the case on the LK450's) or it does nothing.

FWIW, it does seem to eliminate 3:2 judder on my LK450 (60/48Hz) at least on scenes that I know to show the issue on my older non-24p capable display. I suppose somebody needs to run a few Spears&Munsil tests to get to the bottom of all this.

I don't actually turn Real Cinema "off". I just do not notice a difference either way. This whole thing is kind of moot now anyway, with movie theaters going digital instead of film. It's more like watching a dvd now. I never quite got why people wanted the judder and blur that goes with watching 24fps film in Theater, THEN TRY AND REMOVE THAT WHEN WATCHING A FILM TO BD TRANSFER.
post #820 of 2833 Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't actually turn Real Cinema "off". I just do not notice a difference either way. This whole thing is kind of moot now anyway, with movie theaters going digital instead of film. It's more like watching a dvd now. I never quite got why people wanted the judder and blur that goes with watching 24fps film in Theater, THEN TRY AND REMOVE THAT WHEN WATCHING A FILM TO BD TRANSFER.

I think that's what we do as well. I just left it on for the BD player but never really noticed a difference with it on or off. However, the last movie we actually watched in a theater was Toy Story III and I don't ever remember seeing any judder and blur but my eyes are old so your observation is interesting.
post #821 of 2833 Old 11-19-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veidi View Post

Hello erverybody,

I solved my problem now =)

All i had to do was to set the HDMI label to 'PC'

Now everything is super sharp and the colors are right in my eyes.
Iam so happy now
This TV is now sensational good.

I was gonna say that but good thing you finally solved it!

What you mentioned also happened with my 2333HD Samsung HDTV monitor.

If I use PC via HDMI, the colors are "off" and fuzzy and weird UNTIL I changed the input name to "PC".

Like you said, this also applies to my LG set (47 LK520).. Maybe when we change it to "PC" (input name/label).. the "picture/video processing" is all left for the PC to do..

BTW thanks again for this thread. I have checked my display and saw the numbers and letters.. used a magnifying glass.. voilla! "Chevron" patterns on the pixels

Satisfied s-IPS owner here
post #822 of 2833 Old 11-19-2011, 08:29 AM

I have found a new Methode to see which panel is build in:
http://www.golem.de/1102/81161.html
Its german, but under the video is a table with the ° and panel type.

You look from the front of the glass to the LCD and turn the glass so long till the LCD is black.

Mine is a VA Panel, cause the screen is black at 0°.

when the VA is at least so good, how must be the IPS .
Maybe i look in the store if there is a new shipment with new 32LK450 there and then i can change it .

when not, i will keep mine. I am satisfied with it =).
post #823 of 2833 Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

1) I'm not sure I get your last point there. Ideally, 24p should be watched as 24p not 60p.

2) After further consideration, I agree that on the 120Hz models "Real Cinema" is probably a vestigial/placebo menu setting ... If they're doing things right.

3) Real Cinema definitely makes a difference on my LK450, but I'm not quite ready to say it works exactly as advertised. For one, I expected the 48Hz refresh to show more flicker than it does, perhaps the LCDness of the beast helps here.
post #824 of 2833 Old 11-19-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

Like you said, this also applies to my LG set (47 LK520).. Maybe when we change it to "PC" (input name/label).. the "picture/video processing" is all left for the PC to do..

The label does in fact disable some "enhancements" so that the proper video signal is sent and uderstood by the LG. BTW, I have last year's model, 47LD520, and it just seems to get better with time.
post #825 of 2833 Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veidi View Post

I have found a new Methode to see which panel is build in:

The easiest way is still the loupe test. Just place at least a 10x magnifying lens next to the LCD panel and look at the pixel shape.
post #826 of 2833 Old 11-19-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkn0927 View Post

Anyone?

I have the LK530 and according its manual there may be some electrical circuit humming/panel buzzing( which is a low level noise generated from a high speed switching circuit that supplies heavy amount of electrical current to operate the TV). The sound will vary depending on TV but will not affect performance and/or reliability of product.

If this high pitch sound has a low level buzzing or humming tone and can only be heard when standing next to TV with volume turned down, then I would not be concerned if it's not affecting TV performance.

But if this high pitch sound can be heard a few feet away from TV then it could be a sign of trouble within the TV and will need to be serviced.
post #827 of 2833 Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Well, after 5 hours of unsuccessful searching, i finally gave up and grabbed 42LK450(for PC), model "D". No flashlighting whatsoever, some minor clouding, unfortunately(but very minor). I also own an LG IPS as a main TV, so i can compare. View angles are much worse, that's for sure(but IPS has... well, "IPS glow"). "Blacks" are better, as expected. Overall, i can't say "D" model is that much inferior, or rather - i can't find any "cons", only view angles. If you want lk450 but can't find "Y" model, buy "D".

One thing is really bothering me, though : i've expected it, but holly... Vertical banding with some colors is just bad. And i don't know what to do, because another set could have flashlighting, ect(and could as well have the very same banding).

P.S Oh, i have to label input as "PC", even after "override fix", because it looks "right". I did this :

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483&st=0

There's a complete guide somewhere, ~ last pages.

It seems even if "Edge Enhancer" is "High", there's no visible effect.
post #828 of 2833 Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Best Buy had these for $400 last week (and $300 this week!), so I picked up a 32LK450 for my brother's xmas gifts. The panel lottery was stacked against me though, all the TVs at 2 Best Buys were 'D's, so I figured I'll buy now, then check their stock over the next few weeks to see if I can score an IPS panel and do an exchange.
post #829 of 2833 Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 PM

FOR LG 32LK450 and/or LG 37LK450 and/or LG 47LK450

Where should i look for the sticker on the panel and what numbers or letters should I be seeing for and IPS panel ?

I have read all the responses in this thread and I am ROYALLY CONFUSED.
post #830 of 2833 Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisedwards85 View Post

If you type in "LG Panel Lottery" in the search above, you'll get a wealth of info.

I just took a flashlight and looked through the grates on the back of the TV on the bottom. There should be a LG label that has some information on it. Look for a "W" in the top line, above the (SC) (A1).

You can also take a magnifying glass to the front of the screen and look for the chevron shape (>>>) rather than the rectangles. Good luck!

Lemme know if you come across any good picture settings...

Re model: LG 47LK520 are recent buyers receiving IPS panels or not?

I have an LG 47LD520 now that is an IPS panel and the pic quality is great.
post #831 of 2833 Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post

I was gonna say that but good thing you finally solved it!

What you mentioned also happened with my 2333HD Samsung HDTV monitor.

If I use PC via HDMI, the colors are "off" and fuzzy and weird UNTIL I changed the input name to "PC".

BTW thanks again for this thread. I have checked my display and saw the numbers and letters.. used a magnifying glass.. voilla! "Chevron" patterns on the pixels

Satisfied s-IPS owner here

Well that sort of answers my question where did you buy it from?

Got the answers from previous posts, Thanks all.
post #832 of 2833 Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpooo000 View Post

FOR LG 32LK450 and/or LG 37LK450 and/or LG 47LK450

Where should i look for the sticker on the panel and what numbers or letters should I be seeing for and IPS panel ?

I have read all the responses in this thread and I am ROYALLY CONFUSED.

For the 2011 models (LK series), the fourth letter in the product code should be a "Y", at least for the US market. For example, LG 47LK450-UA.AUSYLUR (the underline is mine to highlight the fourth position). The definitive test is to take at least a 10x magnifying glass and look at the pixel shape on the panel. If they are chevron-shaped (<<<<<<) then it is an S-IPS panel. Unfortunately, you can't specify the panel type if you order online (hence the panel lottery) so you'll get whatever is pulled from inventory.
post #833 of 2833 Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio777 View Post

I have an LG 47LD520 now that is an IPS panel and the pic quality is great.

I too have the 47LD520 (bought it in January) with the S-IPS panel (confirmed via the loupe test). Calibrated it in February and the pq is just fantastic regardless of which input I'm using (OTA, HDMI for Blu-rays or the AppleTV2).
post #834 of 2833 Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikergofast View Post

Is it normal for this tv to show more light near the corners when displaying a black screen? Or is it just due to the backlight being too high?
I'm a noobie when it comes to calibrating these, so I might just need to tweak it, but I'd rather know sooner and trade it in on black friday if I have to. Thanks.

Bump and another question: what does it mean if the sticker in the back of the tv says "SC A2", instead of A1 like was posted above?
post #835 of 2833 Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Bump and another question: what does it mean if the sticker in the back of the tv says "SC A2", instead of A1 like was posted above?

The best way to determine an S-IPS panel is to look at the pixels on the panel with a lens. Any lens that can magnify 10 to 50 times. IF you have a telescope, microscope, binoculars, etc. . . just unscrew the eye piece and put it close to the LCD screen with the TV on and a mostly white or bright screen. You should see the characteristic < < < < < Chevron shaped red, green and blue pixels.

Sometimes you can use a digital camera set to macro also to see the pixels, but not all digital cameras will focus that close to see the pixels.
post #836 of 2833 Old 11-28-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haven't a clue as to what SC A2 or A1 means. It has nothing to do at all with the type of IPS panel though. See my explanation above of what you are to look for in the entire product code numbering system.
post #837 of 2833 Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
mine does the same.. although I have not noticed it as a problem when watching tv. I have not really messed with the settings to much.

Quote:

post #838 of 2833 Old 11-28-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Here is my IPS pixel pattern - looks like chevrons to me

taken with a panasonic DS7 digital camera on macro zoom -

4th letter of the last part of the product code was a "Y" - which is listed on the box.

Quote:

LL
post #839 of 2833 Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlikegaza View Post

has anyone ordered one from newegg recently? Anyone care to share what panels they received if they did?

I just bought a 32LK450 from newegg on the 24th, it should be here tomorrow or the next day. I'll let you know. I got it for $299 though, free shipping, a great deal, they were sold out the day after I got it. If its S-IPS then great, if not, I'm using it as a computer monitor mainly, so I'll be fine if it's a "D", since no extreme viewing angles.
post #840 of 2833 Old 11-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

For the 2011 models (LK series), the fourth letter in the product code should be a "Y", at least for the US market. For example, LG 47LK450-UA.AUSYLUR (the underline is mine to highlight the fourth position). The definitive test is to take at least a 10x magnifying glass and look at the pixel shape on the panel. If they are chevron-shaped (<<<<<<) then it is an S-IPS panel. Unfortunately, you can't specify the panel type if you order online (hence the panel lottery) so you'll get whatever is pulled from inventory.

Thank you
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page