Official LG xxLK520 xxLK450 - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 2833 Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
directv ota, cincinnati market - wcpo here has 2 subs, 9-2,9-3. That could be the problem.. although the last time I ran their signal through tsreader there were giving at 12 mb/s to the main channel. I might have to check again since they added 9-3 a few months ago.. although the channel does not look bitstarved. My problem is I get great pricing at hhgregg and had a bunch of gift cards that I took advantage of - so my selection is limited to what they have. My fear is any tv i get is going to have an issue. Luckily my main tv for watching sports and movies is the 55" panasonic plasma in the basement and it is fantastic! The 42" LG is the all purpose tv in the family room for the rest of the family. My fear with the panasonic - I can get the e3 which only sports 300 lines of motion resolution.. not sure if that would be an issue.. oh well.. the quest goes on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 2833 Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Liked: 10
So I just received my 37LK450 from Newegg. Arrived with a large first-sized impression center mass on the panel. Sadly, it was an IPS too. Confirmed by the "Y" as the fourth letter in the last line of characters. What a bummer.
post #933 of 2833 Old 12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
CCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline007 View Post

Ordered two 42lk450's from Amazon.
Contacted them and they said they had no way of providing me with the serial number before purchase.

But from extensive research online, i never saw a case of someone getting a VA panel in the 42" model. Its always S-IPS (Y in product code)
The lottery seems more prevalant in the 32" and 37" model.

Either way, Im hoping for the best.

I hate to inform you that 42" LG lv5500 also have the dreaded VA panels. I ordered from amazon and got two of them before giving up. I then ordered the 42lv4400 and oddly enough got the s-ips panel (ausyxxx product code)
post #934 of 2833 Old 12-06-2011, 11:35 AM

of the two 42lk450s i ordered from amazon.
one was s-ips confirmed by Y in product code and chevron pixel pattern.

the other was a va panel. D in product code.
post #935 of 2833 Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM

Hello everybody, this is my first post although I've been reading for awhile... I have 32LK430, model that is being sold in Europe, and as far as know it is not for sale in the US. I have Y as a 4th letter in product code (ZG.BEUYLJP and I do not know what it means besides Y=IPS) and I hope that it is an I-IPS panel, here I have taken a picture so I hope someone will confirm:

The picture is not very clear but I think that it will do.

When I was buying there were several choices for 4-th letter Y, D and I. From what I was reading here Y is IPS, D is VA and and I don't know what might be I (ZG.BEUILJP).

I need help to try to calibrate this TV, I've read the whole tread and it is not very clear how exactly should I do this. I do not have a blue ray player only dvd player connected with scart cable. I can connect my lap top with hdmi cable, when it arrives from e-bay seller, if it is possible to calibrate it this way. I've seen this tread about AVD HD-709, but I'm not quite sure what should I download. So far I've tried some settings I found in the LG **LD550 thread but I'm not very satisfied with the result.

Any help is highly appreciated. Greetings...
post #936 of 2833 Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Liked: 23
^ ^ ^ Yes, it indeed looks like the S-IPS pixels. For initial picture settings, I would recommend using the settings in Post #755 and #754 of this thread. Do the "Cinema" setting first to get familiar with the menu and remote control functions. If possible, find a DVD that has the THX test patterns on it. Some Disney and other DVDs have this. Feel free to make slight adjustments within the range of settings in the recommended "Cinema" setting values. Then, come back and let us know how you like it or what about the picture quality that does not look good to you.

Lastly, you may want to try going to AVForums in the UK for better info on your Euro LG model.

Included below is a Notepad file of the "Cinema" picture settings and ranges.

LG XXLD550 HDMI CINEMA (User) PICTURE 12-4-10 Usable Range.txt 0.8876953125k . file
post #937 of 2833 Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 228
FIRMWARE UPDATE NOTE for the LD520 SERIES

For any of you LD520 users out there, LG posted a firmware update for the 520 sometime ago. I never apply updates until I know exactly what they do. If I don't need to update, no sense in applying something that may cause problems. The notes on the LG site said that it "enhanced performance" or something like that but was fairly vague. Pressing Korea I found out that it corrected "color shift" which was still pretty vague. Pressing further, I received this today:

"Hello ,

Below is the information I received from LG Engineering.

What they mean by color shift here is the color will be slightly different on the TV when it first turned on.

We use an algorithm to adjust the color while the TV is warming up so the color looks the same all the time.

Sometimes we change this algorithm in firmware updates."

I was also told that it wouldn't affect a calibrated set so I guess it just keeps your colors accurate during the warm up phase. Still kinda weak but I guess it's a non-functional update to the end-user.
post #938 of 2833 Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post

Hey all, recently purchased the 42lk520 last Friday and loving it over the weekend. Coming from a 5yr old olevia 232v. Since the weekend has passed, would it be ok to start calibrating it or wait a few more days for complete "break-in"? I'd say it was on most of the weekend since I didn't go out much.

Also, I as most know that the 60hz model is better for gaming but would this work? I know I could ask there but since it's primarily used for the 47w5300 I think here would be better.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21295177

I use my LK520 for gaming; I think I feel some lag but my wife says i'm crazy; I would have to agree with her. I can go 20-5 in TDM in COD but I think my mind is trained to always feel lag. I don't think there were alot of choices for me in the 55 inch range and price wise.
post #939 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 AM

My Lk450 saga continues!

Shopping in local Costco -> passing through TVs -> well, i'll be! 42lk450 "Y"(wasn't there before)! Immediately grabbed one. Long story short - well, i'll be x2! Clouding i've never seen before Keep calm, keep calm... Pack it up and exchange... VoilÃ* ! Perfect set(not counting banding - as bad as before)

Now i can compare *VA and S-IPS side by side. And *VA loses. Sure, black level is much better, but S-IPS colors glow with life, view angles are better, pixel response time is miles ahead(when you turn camera in games, VA creates quite a mess). So yeah, i'll keep it.
post #940 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Anyone actually watch movies and TV on these thing? Guess I am getting old..
post #941 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Anyone actually watch movies and TV on these thing? Guess I am getting old..

+1 here.

100% TV ( from OTA or HTPC) and movies from DVD/Bly-ray and even occasional laser disks and VHS tapes played on my Sony SLV-R1000. Now if that isn't "old" I don't know what is?

We have a Wii, but only play that on the "other" TV now and then.

Now, where's my Lawrence Welk records?
post #942 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Greetings all!

Does anyone know if the 42LK550, which appears to be a Sam's Club model with internet apps, is basically the same as the 42LK520? I've been trying to research it to make an informed choice for an affordable 40-42" LCD. It's currently only available on their website so I can't see it in the store. I'm weighing this against the Sammy LN40D630 which is a basic set, albeit with its own merits and pitfalls.

Thanks for any input.

Paul

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #943 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 AM

From just googling around, yes, it appears to be like the 42LK520 but with WiFi ready internet. Probably much like the 2010 42LD550 myself and some other have here on AVS.

Here's a link:

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...tv-42LK550.jsp
post #944 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 AM

For movies we have 55" TV
post #945 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH View Post

For movies we have 55" TV

Just curious, when you say "banding" is present on the 42LK450. . . what do you mean? Depending on who is talking . . . and listening (reading) it may mean a couple different things.
post #946 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Just curious, when you say "banding" is present on the 42LK450. . . what do you mean? Depending on who is talking . . . and listening (reading) it may mean a couple different things.

Vertical lines are slightly visible when camera is spinning.

P.S With some colors.
post #947 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

From just googling around, yes, it appears to be like the 42LK520 but with WiFi ready internet. Probably much like the 2010 42LD550 myself and some other have here on AVS.

Here's a link:

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...tv-42LK550.jsp

Thanks for your response. That helps because I CAN see the 520 in the stores.

I've had plasmas for years and that's where all my research has been done. This TV will be a gift so I've been trying to do an LCD crash course to hopefully make a decent selection for the price. I'm driving myself crazy.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #948 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:

P.S With some colors.

Ok, camera is "spinning"? I take it you mean during gaming. Usually "banding" refers to either "steps" in solid color backgrounds of various shading, or it can mean, as you indicated, vertical slight differences in uniformities in the panel lighting. However, if the "bands" don't show up in full screen color windows from a test video source [like AVIA] it may be an issues with the game system/TV compatibility being used also. Video games with their artificially generated graphics are more suited to a computer monitor than a TV. The requirements for displaying the best video image for movies and TV reception often are not what is best for video game display. There are always trade-offs in specifications for video circuitry design. One design may give very accurate color rendition and clarity with acceptable motion handling for normal TV programming like movies, sports, etc; but not for CGI graphics.

Do you notice it in any live TV material. . . like football, hockey or golf when there is a lot of solid back ground like grassy fields or white ice? Perhaps, you haven't had a chance to check that much out yet though.
post #949 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post

Thanks for your response. That helps because I CAN see the 520 in the stores.

I've had plasmas for years and that's where all my research has been done. This TV will be a gift so I've been trying to do an LCD crash course to hopefully make a decent selection for the price. I'm driving myself crazy.

You're welcome. I get the plasma vs LCD dilemma. Went through that myself a few years back. Both can have very good picture quality and performance, but require a different approach to obtaining it.

Don;t know what your budget is. But the LK line has some of the most comprehensive menus for ISF calibration in a low to mid priced TV. That being said, some people get a bit intimidated by all the possible picture setting option. That said, the LG "LK" line can offer a great picture out of the box using one of the many preset picture settings such as Standard or Cinema. There are some sample settings at post #755 and #754 here in this thread. When/if you get it. . . I would start with the settings in Cinema . . before getting too involved with the ISF stuff.
post #950 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:

P.S With some colors.

To me this is like saying..
"My Car skids off the road when I take that turn at 90 MPH"
Maybe a big old RP CRT would be better suited to this type of game ..You can pick them up for free on your local Craig's list.. no motion issues there!

BTW I got my Calibration equipment and will be doing a full calibration of the 32" with the VA panel if anyone is interested.
Please keep in mind, that sharing settings is absolutely useless...
What would be interesting is to compare results of pre cal with someone else who has similar equipment. If there is anyone with this unit and a i1D3/C6 or equivalent, send me a PM or email!
post #951 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Maybe a big old RP CRT would be better suited to this type of game ..You can pick them up for free on your local Craig's list.. no motion issues there!

BTW I got my Calibration equipment and will be doing a full calibration of the 32" with the VA panel if anyone is interested.
What would be interesting is to compare results of pre cal with someone else who has similar equipment. If there is anyone with this unit and a i1D3/C6 or equivalent, send me a PM or email!

I would be interested in your findings with the VA panel! I just sold my i1 D2 colorimeter. Let me know how the D3 works for you. I will warn. . there is a pretty steep learning curve on most calibration devices.

Also, while setting obtained from an equipment calibration may not be compatible with another TV even in the same model line, any "ball park" settings within a reasonable range in the presets often are a great help to get a better picture than the "torch" mode the TV comes set with. LG offers the "Picture Wizard", and it helps a bit for the presets, but even a good cal disc like AVS HD709 or Avia or S&M will often get a TV a pretty darn good gray scale. Especially comparing it to what a "good" gray scale was on TVs even 5 or 6 years ago.
post #952 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Ok, camera is "spinning"? I take it you mean during gaming. Usually "banding" refers to either "steps" in solid color backgrounds of various shading, or it can mean, as you indicated, vertical slight differences in uniformities in the panel lighting. However, if the "bands" don't show up in full screen color windows from a test video source [like AVIA] it may be an issues with the game system/TV compatibility being used also. Video games with their artificially generated graphics are more suited to a computer monitor than a TV. The requirements for displaying the best video image for movies and TV reception often are not what is best for video game display. There are always trade-offs in specifications for video circuitry design. One design may give very accurate color rendition and clarity with acceptable motion handling for normal TV programming like movies, sports, etc; but not for CGI graphics.

Do you notice it in any live TV material. . . like football, hockey or golf when there is a lot of solid back ground like grassy fields or white ice? Perhaps, you haven't had a chance to check that much out yet though.

Well, they look like "banding", thus the name. Maybe it's not entirely correct. But anyway, it has nothing to do with source, it's how LCD TV works(backlighting). And every LCD has it, question is how visible it is. You can search this very forum, "LCD banding", "LCD vertical/horizontal lines".
And you have ld450, not lk450, as i remember ?
post #953 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:

It's not a motion issue. But we're having troll issue, i see.
post #954 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM

post #955 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Lk450 saga continues!

Shopping in local Costco -> passing through TVs -> well, i'll be! 42lk450 "Y"(wasn't there before)! Immediately grabbed one. Long story short - well, i'll be x2! Clouding i've never seen before Keep calm, keep calm... Pack it up and exchange... VoilÃ* ! Perfect set(not counting banding - as bad as before)

Now i can compare *VA and S-IPS side by side. And *VA loses. Sure, black level is much better, but S-IPS colors glow with life, view angles are better, pixel response time is miles ahead(when you turn camera in games, VA creates quite a mess). So yeah, i'll keep it.

Congratulations! Once you calibrate it, it will be even better
post #956 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, they look like "banding", thus the name. Maybe it's not entirely correct. But anyway, it has nothing to do with source, it's how LCD TV works(backlighting). And every LCD has it, question is how visible it is. You can search this very forum, "LCD banding", "LCD vertical/horizontal lines".
And you have ld450, not lk450, as i remember ?

Then maybe it's a production problem with some of the LK series because I have the LD520 and have never seen an issue like you describe so *every* LCD set does not have it. I would be more suspicious of source initially, or a bad production run, than making a blanket statement on LCDs in general.
post #957 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't go as far as saying sharing settings are absolutely useless. Some find calibrating very intimidating and may actually like some of the settings, as a starting point, better than the pre-sets. I found that using someone else's settings for the same model of tv as mine useful to get me started, knowing full well what the limitations were. And actually, after calibration, my own settings were very similar to the ones that I "borrowed". I always recommend that you calibrate your own set but as a starting point, other settings may temporarily help. It also gets one very familiar with the various settings and what they can, and can not do.
post #958 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Here's video about it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yzYtAsrKPA

Yes, I've seen that video and it IS the uniformity type of "banding" produced usually by either uneven back lighting or a manufacturing issue. I actually have a 42LD550 and it has pretty decent uniformity, nothing noticeable in normal viewing. If I put up a full IRE50 or 60 gray field I only see slight shading from the edges to the center of the screen. . . and you have to look for it.

The banding they talk about in that video was very unacceptable to me and was prevalent in early LCDs especially in the 2006 to 2007 model years. Samsung had really bad issues with banding in 2006 and 2007. I really wanted a Samsung but almost all had really bad banding. And sometimes it didn't show up right away. Sony had "clouding" really bad also back then. I bought a 47" Toshiba and it had "columns" that were easily seen in solid color back grounds. Took it back, and got a Mitusbishi Diamond series LT-46231. VERY uniform back lighting and no banding. To this day it is superb. The LG I have, being a newer TV and having 10 point IRE calibration has more accurate color, but you have to see both TVs side by side to even notice that.

My 42LD550 and most LD series seemed to be pretty good with only some owners siting light leakage in corners on the 46" to 60" panels and a few siting slight banding. If I bought another TV like they showed in the video or like the Toshiba I had. . .. back it would go.
post #959 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 04:24 PM

Does anyone have a recommended calibration for the 55LK520?
post #960 of 2833 Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjiwing View Post
Does anyone have a recommended calibration for the 55LK520?
Hello, and I assume you just bought a new 55LK520? Here's the thing about settings. We can give some as a starter, but invariably there are a couple things about doing that. First, no two TVs are the same even in the same brand/model. And, more than likely you would come back and say you don;t like the way it looks. .. . ask for some more "settings" and. . . you get the picture. A "Calibration" is just that. A procedure specifically performed on your TV. The type of LCD panel the TV uses has something to do with it also. That being said, there are settings posted here in several places. Try Post #755 Cinema settings FIRST, then try those found in Post #754 if you can. You need to get VERY familiar with the Menu and what the settings do. So Cinema or Standard are good starting point. In fact, I will tack on the Cinema setting here at the end of this post. You need to adjust brightness (black level) and Contrast ( white level first) . . . with ALL other enhancements off or at the low setting value for it. Then go back and make the color, tint, etc adjusts. Better yet, get the AVS HD709 downloaded here. on AVS.

And. . . read . . . read.... read.. all the posts here and maybe more! There are no short cuts to making settings on TVs anymore. So if an owner is impatient, impulsive, and just wants to keep pushing buttons to "see how it looks". .. . or "maybe I can try this". . . or, etc You will end up frustrating yourself and us. You can use the "Search Thread" option at the TOP RIGHT of this page and any page to search for things like "55LK520" and you will get more info. All your questions most likely have been addressed. .. many times in this thread and the 2010 xxLD550,xxLD520 Thread. LOTS of info there will apply to your LK model.

Oh, and when you ask for "settings" you really need to tell us what you are connected up to and whatinputs you are using!

Hope this helps!

LG XXLD550 HDMI CINEMA (User) PICTURE 12-4-10 Usable Range.txt 0.8876953125k . file
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page