Official LG xxLK520 xxLK450 - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My local Sam's Club has the LED 47LV4400 for $700 whereas the 47LK520 would be $750 from Fry's or Amazon. Has anyone bought the LK520 over the LV4400 for a reason other than price? The LV4400 looked a little flat to me compared to the LK520 at Fry's, but that was probably just settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM

Liked: 23
^ ^ ^ I agree. . . the LV4400 has not gotten very good reviews with some buyers taking it back to get the next model up or two. I would opt for a really good LK model with CCFL back lighting over a really low end model with LED.

I would have to look at LED LCD models that cost at least $1,400 or more for the picture quality I would like. And even then, some of those models in several brands have worse issues than the few that the LK models have.
post #963 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I am sure most folks here are not interested in calibration since it seems most are gamers and many game manufactures don't adhere to the Rec 709 standards when mastering (or so I have read)
But for those who are obsessed with perfection here are my initial findings for my set, everyone's set will be somewhat different.. please read the following to understand why
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906

Attached you will find a word doc that contains some info on the initial settings used prior to measurements and chart with those measurements.. I have not completed the calibration since I am learning the software and the process as I go along. I will update the doc as I go..

LG 32LK450.doc 491k . file
post #964 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Hey guys, i'm considering to buy LG 32LK450, how do I know it is an S-IPS panel? I heard that S-IPS have "Y" in the product code but where exactly to look at? I've watched them at store but didn't check the back/rear side.
post #965 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure about on the box but there is a sticker on the right side of the TV when facing it. If you go back a few pages someone posted that LG states on their site that the 32" does NOT come with the S-IPS panel... I can verify mine did not..
post #966 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I am sure most folks here are not interested in calibration since it seems most are gamers and many game manufactures don't adhere to the Rec 709 standards when mastering (or so I have read)
But for those who are obsessed with perfection here are my initial findings for my set, everyone's set will be somewhat different.. please read the following to understand why
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906

Attached you will find a word doc that contains some info on the initial settings used prior to measurements and chart with those measurements.. I have not completed the calibration since I am learning the software and the process as I go along. I will update the doc as I go..

If your LK is anything like the 2010 LD models, you will have "fun" with CMS.

One question, in your initial setting selection, is "Clear White" even available in the ISF Picture Mode? It is only available in the presets like Cinema or Standard in the LD series. Wondering why they would include that in ISF settings? I need to go to a store and find a remote to look more closely at the LK menus.

Otherwise, on my early model 42LD550, I found a very strong red push in the "Warm" color temperature. While in later models, there seemd to be a blue push as you are getting. Can you take a look at your Host Diagnostics screen and see what it says? You will probably like what you can see there anyway. At the top left it will show model number and even, perhaps, the panel type and maker. It also will have info from the OTA channel you are tuned to, or whatever input you are using, and more.

To get to it:

Hit Menu, Enter, Left arrow and scroll down to "Option". ** Then, hit 1,1,1,1,1.

To exit. . . . hit EXIT>

**DO NOT hit any other numbers. The Host Diag. screen will come up and you can toggle between 2 pages of info.
post #967 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

The banding they talk about in that video was very unacceptable to me and was prevalent in early LCDs especially in the 2006 to 2007 model years.

And it seems due to LG's obsession with thinness(the backlight is too close to the panel), it's back.

By the way, first pages :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6&postcount=89

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=94

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=103

So yeah... Perfect way to ruin a very good TV... Screw you, LG

And it is a very good TV. Colors are incredibly good. We already have a S-IPS TV, but direct comparison with VA is telling. Black level is acceptable with ambient lighting, it does not bother me at all(black level of my 55" LED S-IPS does bother me, because it's bluish). Everything's good but the "banding"/"screen uniformity".
post #968 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post

Hey guys, i'm considering to buy LG 32LK450, how do I know it is an S-IPS panel? I heard that S-IPS have "Y" in the product code but where exactly to look at? I've watched them at store but didn't check the back/rear side.

There's a sticker on the side of the panel that has the complete product code or you can find it on the outside of the box if you come across a boxed item. I'm not sure if the S-IPS comes in sizes smaller than 37" though.
post #969 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versabox View Post

My local Sam's Club has the LED 47LV4400 for $700 whereas the 47LK520 would be $750 from Fry's or Amazon. Has anyone bought the LK520 over the LV4400 for a reason other than price? The LV4400 looked a little flat to me compared to the LK520 at Fry's, but that was probably just settings.

I have the LG 42LK530 and I personally think their LK520, LK530 & LK550 model TVs have better overall picture quality than their LV LED series TVs. I wouldn't buy any edge-lit LED LCD TV unless it has good local dimming technology and the LV4400 is without local dimming.

LG's LED LV model TVs without local dimming seem to have black levels that are slightly worse than most of their LK model LCD TV lineup. I think maybe because of the brighter LED lights that are placed along the edges of the screen which can cause some uneven lighting instead of spreading evenly across the screen.
post #970 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Not sure about on the box but there is a sticker on the right side of the TV when facing it. If you go back a few pages someone posted that LG states on their site that the 32" does NOT come with the S-IPS panel... I can verify mine did not..

SO, it isn't worth buying ? Should I choose Panasonic LED-IPS instead?
post #971 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SO, it isn't worth buying ? Should I choose Panasonic LED-IPS instead?

I like mine and when I am done calibrating it, it should be excellent.. but it is hanging on the wall in the kitchen.. used for cooking shows and news.. for $400 I thought it was a good buy.
post #972 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrix76 View Post

I have the LG 42LK530 and I personally think their LK520, LK530 & LK550 model TVs have better overall picture quality than their LV LED series TVs. I wouldn't buy any edge-lit LED LCD TV unless it has good local dimming technology and the LV4400 is without local dimming.

LG's LV model TVs seem to have black levels that are slightly worse than most of their LK model LCD TV lineup. I think maybe because of the brighter LED lights that are placed along the edges of the screen which can cause some uneven lighting instead of spreading evenly across the screen.

That's what he said. . . . . Post # 962

Quote:

^ ^ ^ I agree. . . the LV4400 has not gotten very good reviews with some buyers taking it back to get the next model up or two. I would opt for a really good LK model with CCFL back lighting over a really low end model with LED.

I would have to look at LED LCD models that cost at least $1,400 or more for the picture quality I would like. And even then, some of those models in several brands have worse issues than the few that the LK models have.

post #973 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:

I like mine and when I am done calibrating it, it should be excellent.. but it is hanging on the wall in the kitchen.. used for cooking shows and news.. for $400 I thought it was a good buy.

It IS a very nice buy. I keep looking for an excuse to find a place for a 32". I came real close last year and the 32LD450 had an S-IPS panel and did 4:4:4 really well! Almost bought for the office PC.

But that was kind of "excessive" even for me being a "gadget" guy!
post #974 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:

It IS a very nice buy. I keep looking for an excuse to find a place for a 32". I came real close last year and the 32LD450 had an S-IPS panel and did 4:4:4 really well! Almost bought for the office PC.

But that was kind of "excessive" even for me being a "gadget" guy!

It may be just me but VA's Image quality is so noticeable (worst) compare to S-IPS' IQ. I would like to have 1 S-IPS panel too but from what others said, there's no :G' 32" S-IPS this year . My room is too small for other screen size so 32" is my only choice, still can't find a good one though .
post #975 of 2833 Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 PM

I love my new 42LK450 S-IPS.
This is a great TV for the price.
Not seeing any banding or light bleed and have no problems at all.

Starting caibrating but got exhausted after a few steps. That is tedious lol.
Used someone else's settings posted earlier in this thread for this exact model and panel type and it looks great. I know it may be slightly different to mine but its good for now.

Turns out I cant get 1080p from my xbox 360 unless i buy an HDMI or a proprietory xbox HD AV cable so just bought the hdmi.

Still gotta get around to hiding the cables in the stand's built in cable mgmt.
Exhausted from trying to get the ports on the back of the tv to line up with the openings on the mount. When i first tried they were blocked, even the power jack and had to readjust quite a bit till i got it perfect and all ports free.
post #976 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 AM

Just bought 32LK450. The product code in the rear sticker have 'Y' in it : 32LK450.ATVYLJV. Does it mean mine is S-IPS? But LG said there's no S-IPS in the 32" models. My HDTV is asia/aus model though.. Is there other way to confirm it ?
post #977 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshZH View Post

And it seems due to LG's obsession with thinness(the backlight is too close to the panel), it's back.

By the way, first pages :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6&postcount=89

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...1&postcount=94

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=103

So yeah... Perfect way to ruin a very good TV... Screw you, LG

And it is a very good TV. Colors are incredibly good. We already have a S-IPS TV, but direct comparison with VA is telling. Black level is acceptable with ambient lighting, it does not bother me at all(black level of my 55" LED S-IPS does bother me, because it's bluish). Everything's good but the "banding"/"screen uniformity".

Keep in mind owners who bought TVs that are issue free and have no complaints are happily watching the TV. NOT on a forum somewhere telling about non issues[/color][/b] Apparently, there are more people, even background lurkers here, who have no big concern with the LK series. And, from what I read, this years 32" panels LG is using possibly come from Sharp. LG sells so many TVs world wide and there are only about 3 major LCD panel makers including LG itself.

As you note in most of your posts, you like the color, black level, etc. Any banding that occurs is usually due to a batch of panels that may have had marginal production. An LCD panel is a sandwich of several different layers of materials rolled together with adhesives. Temperature change, a halt in the assembly process, uneven pressure on the panel, possibly even shipping of the panel and of the finished TV can affect overall quality. LCD TVs should be shipped, warehoused, and stored upright in their boxes. If not, any number of panel issues can develop.Yet, I've gone into "Wally World" and have seen LCD and plasma TV lying flat face down in their boxes below display models. . . and sometimes, even two or three stacked on each other So I wouldn't be so quick to blame LG for an issue. Besides, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Sharp. . . all went on a "who can have the thinnest LCS panel" binge. Personally, I don't get it. Who watches the the "edge" of a TV? My Mitsubishi LT-46231 is about 3 1/2" thick, my LG is about the same. And I have a lowly Sanyo 26" LCD that is at least 4" thick and it has a pretty decent picture for a $238 TV.

The whole consumer electronics industry is in a constant flux of new and maturing technology, cost/value balance, and marketing trends. So some of what we get depends largely on "where" where and when be buy any piece of equipment in the stream of things.
post #978 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline007 View Post

I love my new 42LK450 S-IPS.
This is a great TV for the price.
Not seeing any banding or light bleed and have no problems at all.

Still gotta get around to hiding the cables in the stand's built in cable mgmt.
Exhausted from trying to get the ports on the back of the tv to line up with the openings on the mount. When i first tried they were blocked, even the power jack and had to readjust quite a bit till i got it perfect and all ports free.

That's a really nice stand and set up for an elegant and functional install. It should look really nice when it's all done.

Glad to hear you are satisfied so far! Yes, setting it all up, making the connections, getting it "right" all can take a bit of time. I spent a good amount of time last year doing that for myself and some friends and family who bought TVs. If you can use the AVS HD709 disc to make picture settings the TV should really look great! If you can, try placing a small "bias" light behind the TV stand to give a soft reflected light off the wall and ceiling. It will make a world of difference on perceived black level and picture quality. You can use a 13 watt warm white or mid white compact florescent bulb in a suitable small lamp mounted to or even slightly below the back of your stand. And, when watching the TV at night, avoid a completely dark room and using any lamps that shine directly onto the TV screen or into the peripheral (sides) of your eyes.

Here's a link to some info and help for calibration and even a recommended reference DVD for getting top PQ! Just read the first two Posts especially Post #2, but there is a LOT of info in that thread that will also apply to your TV:

Link
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1271152
post #979 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Just bought 32LK450. The product code in the rear sticker have 'Y' in it : 32LK450.ATVYLJV. Does it mean mine is S-IPS? But LG said there's no S-IPS in the 32" models. My HDTV is asia/aus model though.. Is there other way to confirm it ?

Your best bet is to use google to search for product info in your market. LG makes TVs for sale all over the world and uses many different sources for parts. Try "AVForums" in the UK. The AVS Forums website here comes up in many searches because it is so prolific both here in the U.S. and Canada. But we have little info on Asia/Aus/Euro market LG models. The product code that denotes a particular panel type here may be different in your country. Also, use the Search Thread option in TOP RIGHT (not the center one) of this page to see how you can identify the panel using a magnifying lens. This has been covered scores of times! I see you've been here since 2009. The information you seek is already here. All you need to do is use the tools that are here and read it.
post #980 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The "Y" in the fourth position of the product is for the the U.S./N.American markets. No telling what it means for the other non-U.S. markets. However, the loupe test doesn't lie so just take a magnifying glass (at least 10X) and check out the pixel pattern. Chevron shaped (<<<<<) indicates it is an S-IPS panel.
post #981 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Yup. . . that's all he has to do. And being here on AVS forum since 2009 he probably could have read that in the thread 20 times by just doing a simple search.

I'm just sayin'. . . Sometimes everything doesn't just "Pop Up" on a smart phone, I-Pad, or whatever other instant dohickey people use now-a-days.

"Give a man a fish. . . and you feed him for a day. Show him HOW to fish. . . and you feed him for life."
post #982 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 09:22 AM

Chill, I've read 10 pages b4 buying it . I read about magnifying glass but wasn't sure how much is enough and also don't have one, smart phone's camera can't see pixel clearly enough so I just want to ask If there's other ways. I'll get a magnifying glass soon, thanks.
post #983 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Chill, I've read 10 pages b4 buying it . I read about magnifying glass but wasn't sure how much is enough and also don't have one, smart phone's camera can't see pixel clearly enough so I just want to ask If there's other ways. I'll get a magnifying glass soon, thanks.

Well, you can even use the eye piece off a pair of binoculars or from a telescope or cheap microscope. Any magnifying lens from anything around the house would usually work. Unless you are just starting a household and don;t have all the stuff old guys usually have stashed.

And ain't no other ways. . it's all been told before. You have no idea how many times someone asks. . . like there might be a secret way of telling. And, it would've helped if you mentioned you already read the pages. It's a peeve of mine how many people come here and won;t read the thread. They want instant answers. Some even state, " I don't feel like reading 100 pages" .. etc. Well, thats' what "Search Thread" is for. Unless you want to tear off the back of your TV and tell us what the white labels says in the LCD panel itself.
post #984 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Give a man a fish. . . and you feed him for a day. Show him HOW to fish. . . and you feed him for life."

That reminds me, I need to hit the Sierra's this summer for some trout fishin'. It's been quite awhile .
post #985 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Phase is not being a smart a$$ about the binoculars. Somebody actually took a pair into BB and was checking out the various panels. I would've loved to have been there to see the expression on the sales people's faces because most of them are clueless (remember, these are the guys who try to sell you those grossly overpriced "M" HDMI cables)
post #986 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

That reminds me, I need to hit the Sierra's this summer for some trout fishin'. It's been quite awhile .

Sounds good Otto! Meanwhile. . . when's the next Lienie's tasting?

Did you check out Escanaba In Da Moonlight? lol
post #987 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 11:07 AM

FYI. Just got a 42LK450 ordered from Newegg. Product No. UB.CUSYLH. Looks great to my novice eyes. Blacks aren't the deepest and doesn't seem to have the best shadow detail, but those are my only nits to pick and I knew those going in. I'm very happy.

post #988 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Just a commentary here. For grins I was seaching "deals" for plasma TVs since they have gotten so cheap. Panasonic had a low priced deal today. . . for awhile until it evaporated on a 51" ST30. And Samsung has a deal on at Sears now also. About the same money as an LG 47LK520. Sooo. . . I went to read the threads on both the Panny and the Samsung.

Sorry, I'll keep the LG. The Panny ST30's still are plagued with floating blacks and some sort of pinkish or greenish areas that tint the screen. Oh. . but Panny has "fixes" for these, but it doesn't seem to quite eliminate them. And Samsung has other issues, plus LOTS of comments about screen glare, a very careful 100 to 250 hr "break-in" or you risk permanent screen burn and even then it is recommended to keep contrast and brightness to low levels.

I started out getting a plasma and maybe still would for the lower level with no windows. But the burn in, image retention, blobs, etc. I love the picture quality on my LG . . . day or night with no screen glare. Owners of the plasma's I just mentioned also have to be careful with watching 4:3 SD programs for too long or 235:1 widescreen when the "black bars" are present for long periods at the sides or top/bottom of the picture. They say you should let the TV run with a full screen Hi-Def program on it to assure that no burn remains.

Why would I want a TV that would cause more anxiety over how I use it?

Yeah, I can just see it.

Wife: "Honey, it's time to go to (wherever). Turn the TV off."

Me: "You should have warned me! We can't leave till I turn on ESPN HD for 30 minutes to make sure the TV doesn't get any permanent IR or burn."

Oh, almost forgot. Then there is the "buzzing" some owners seem to get.
post #989 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have both the lg and a panny gt30 plasma.. I like the plasma better, but I also dont have the FBr (got it fixed) dont have the green blobs and dont have the buzz.. I also dont have IR after 6 months of espn.. dont get me wrong, the lg is a nice set and well worth it for the $$ paid. I would never put a plasma in its place because of the light and the fact that the kids will leave it on a solid image for hours.. but thats just me.. Like anything, there is no perfect set out there and sometimes you just wish people would shut up and enjoy watching tv
post #990 of 2833 Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM

Yup, that's what I'm doing. Enjoying my LG LCD with CCFL back lighting and great picture quality.

I just went over the the ST30 thread . More new owners with the blobs, buzzes, and even "slight" Fbr after repairs. Some are on their 3rd TV. But, yes, we had LG owners too with unacceptable picture issues. But still no "careful of this or careful of that" just to watch TV. I guess they aren't all "fixed".
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page