AVS Forum banner
422K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  crookyleeds 
#1 ·
I wanted to start a new thread for the 2011 LG LK Series. I almost bought a 42LK520 today but I am concerned since it is so new and there is zero information/reviews out.

I'm also interested to see if there will be a panel lottery for these sets too.

#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkn0927 /forum/post/20450672

I'll trust scientific measurements over random quotes. Thanks anyway Panasonic rep!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1066429

Oh cool, I'm now a Panasonic Rep.

Great, I didn't even say anything good about the set aside that they list it as being IPS-Alpha!

Don't bother checking my posts to see that I mainly hang out in the LD450/LK450 threads and has been the IPS version is the set I've been trying to get. No, that would be against your jump-to-conclusions style.

Let's see, 1) dismissing a set based on a spec you know nothing about 2) making huge generalizations based on brand names as if they were fact 3) resorting to blind accusations.

Earned a spot on my ignore list.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedo /forum/post/20453082

djams,

I've been calibrating my 32LD450 using the above mentioned 75% saturation method. In HCFR, I'm actually using 8points for saturation rather than 4 points, and it seems that my saturation is pretty good up to 87%. Of course after that, it shoots up to quite high. At least 87% of my colors should stay fairly true to rec709. I'm attaching my HCFR file for you to check out.

Thanks again for all the help.

P.S. Out of curiousity, does your Eye-One Display2 work with Lacie's Blue Eye Pro software?

That looks good on the charts - did it translate to an improved picture? I see the big improvement in your grayscale measurements as well - nice job!

I don't know about the Blue Eye Pro software (never heard of it).

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams /forum/post/20459933

That looks good on the charts - did it translate to an improved picture? I see the big improvement in your grayscale measurements as well - nice job!

I don't know about the Blue Eye Pro software (never heard of it).

@djams

I spent a lot of time getting this right. My Spyder2 meter is really slow unless I extended the read time. In terms of improvement, it's definitely less saturated than before. I just wished that LG had a more flat response to the CMS controls. Nonetheless, it is really good for the money.

Out of frustration with the Spyder2, I just ordered a X-Rite Display LT meter. I hope this will improve reliability, accuracy, and read time for future calibrations.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkn0927 /forum/post/20464641

I've tried a few LD520's settings and it looked downright horrible.

This is good info to know (you may have tried some of my LD settings). I suspected that this might be the case. So far, I've come across calibration charts for two 2011 LG LCD's (kanedo's LK, and an LW in another thread) and both had primaries that measure well outside the REC-709 color gamut before adjustment. So it may be that LG has made significant changes in the 2011 models. Can't say for sure based on only 2 observations.

Can you elaborate a little on the pq shortcomings?

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams /forum/post/20464730

This is good info to know (you may have tried some of my LD settings). I suspected that this might be the case. So far, I've come across calibration charts for two 2011 LG LCD's (kanedo's LK, and an LW in another thread) and both had primaries that measure well outside the REC-709 color gamut before adjustment. So it may be that LG has made significant changes in the 2011 models. Can't say for sure based on only 2 observations.

FWIW, djams settings on my LD520 just look awesome, so this is interesting information.

djams, I seem to be following you today

#84 ·
You can't use a LD's setting on a LK. I've calibrated both a LK and LD. The LD I had a stronger red push out of the box. A lot of adjustment had to be done on it to bring it to spec. Out of the box, the LK had a more even distribution of color. However, it's still far from perfect. Either way, my calibrated settings came out quite different for a LD and LK. I would not recommend using LD setting on LK.

If anyone is interested, I can post my revised 42LK450 calibrated settings on here.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams /forum/post/20464730

@djams, I'm getting my new Display LT today. I'll compare it to my Spyder2 readings and post an updated chart.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedo /forum/post/0

You can't use a LD's setting on a LK. I've calibrated both a LK and LD. The LD I had a stronger red push out of the box. A lot of adjustment had to be done on it to bring it to spec. Out of the box, the LK had a more even distribution of color. However, it's still far from perfect. Either way, my calibrated settings came out quite different for a LD and LK. I would not recommend using LD setting on LK.

If anyone is interested, I can post my revised 42LK450 calibrated settings on here.

kanedo,

I would really appreciate that you share your settings with us. I have a brand new 42LK450, and lacking professional calibration equipment, your settings will serve me as a starting point to calibrate mine.

#89 ·
Hi everyone,

I just received my new 47LK520 yesterday. This is meant to be the TV for my new appartment in which I'll be moving to this july. I was going to get the 42'' model, but decided to go bigger -> Great decision.

Of course, I couldn't keep it packed.

I didn't do the loupe test yet, but the product number is 47LK520-UA.ACCYLUR. So from what I understand, this could be an S-IPS panel.

I used the picture wizard the change a few settings for now. So far I'm impressed with the picture. Colors look a little washed off but I haven't played with it much yet. I'm sure the picture can be improved with the correct settings.

As for games, there's input lag with the playstation move, but that was to be expected.

This set will be used for everything: sports, video games and blu-ray movies, as well as infomercials (just kidding).

Perhaps I could give more detailed impressions once it is correctly calibrated, though I'm no expert. In the meantime, I will be browsing this thread and trying to soak up as much information as I can.

#90 ·
Okay, I just did a full calibration with the Eye-One Display LT. it came out much better than the one done by the Spyder2. Gamut was almost right on with the EODLT vs the inaccurately wide gamut my Spyder2 produced. I'm including my final calibration report using HCFR.

Since the EODLT can read much lower light than the Spyder2, I'm actually getting 700-800 contrast ratio. On top of that, the read time was much quicker. I was able to do the calibration in less than half the time it would take with a Spyder2.

My Spyder2 is officially retired.

32LD450 i1 LT.chc.zip 6.130859375k . file

Attachments

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedo /forum/post/0

Okay, I just did a full calibration with the Eye-One Display LT. it came out much better than the one done by the Spyder2. Gamut was almost right on with the EODLT vs the inaccurately wide gamut my Spyder2 produced. I'm including my final calibration report using HCFR.

Since the EODLT can read much lower light than the Spyder2, I'm actually getting 700-800 contrast ratio. On top of that, the read time was much quicker. I was able to do the calibration in less than half the time it would take with a Spyder2.

My Spyder2 is officially retired.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like money well spent!

If I understand correctly, you sold your LK to virotek and picked up a LD450, so these results are for the LD450? I'm still really interested in how the colors come out on the LK with the new meter, so please post those results when you calibrate it.

EDIT: Sorry for asking the stupid question - couldn't see the attachment name when using the AVS android app on my phone...

#94 ·
Well, the honeymoon was short.

I noticed some faint, transparent vertical bands/lines that become more visible when the camera moves over a pale surface (when watching a hockey game for instance).

I found a youtube video from someone with a similar issue, but I can't post a link just yet. (forum rules). If you search youtube for "Sharp LC52D92U Issues", it will be the first video at the top. The lines on my TV are a little less visible, but they're there.

I didn't notice it at first, but now that I know it's there, it's impossible for me not to see. It can be seen when watching TV, a blu-ray or playing a game.

It's going back for an exchange. Hopefully the next one will not have this issue.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams /forum/post/20475571

Thanks for the info. Sounds like money well spent!

If I understand correctly, you sold your LK to virotek and picked up a LD450, so these results are for the LD450? I'm still really interested in how the colors come out on the LK with the new meter, so please post those results when you calibrate it.

EDIT: Sorry for asking the stupid question - couldn't see the attachment name when using the AVS android app on my phone...

@djams. Correct. I sold the 42LK450 to Virotek because it was too big for my room. Couldn't resist buying it at such a low price when Fry's had it for sale at $477 a few weeks ago. Anyhow, I've since picked up last year's 32LD450 (CUSW) since I couldn't find any 2011 models of 32LK450 with S-IPS panels. The file I recently posted was of the 32LD450 with my new Eye-One Display LT. I expect similar results with 42LK450. But just to be certain, I'll run through the full calibration again on the 42LK450 this weekend with the EODLT.

#97 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha
kanedo,

I would really appreciate that you share your settings with us. I have a brand new 42LK450, and lacking professional calibration equipment, your settings will serve me as a starting point to calibrate mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkn0927
Any LK520 calibrated settings available so far? It would be greatly appreciated if someone could post theirs!

I've tried a few LD520's settings and it looked downright horrible.

For those with new LK models, based on what we've found with 2010 LG models, you will probably be just as well off, if not better, to download and use the AVS HD709 Calibration aid and follow the included instructions. * . Unless you have a colorimeter or plan to get one, the settings you obtain on your own TV using the AVS HD 709 will likely be better than using someone else calibration settings. * .The AVS HD 709 will get you within 95% of an equipment calibration for free and can easily be regularly checked by yourself. Also, as you add new Blu-ray players or other equipment to your TV, you will have a ready source to make the settings for any input you will be using.

Also, you really need to start with a back light setting of your own based on room lighting and personal tastes. A back light setting of 40 (higher for bright rooms) is a reasonable starting point. Then, using the AVS HD709 disc you burned, you make your basic settings of Contrast Brightness and Color (50%) and go onward from there to make the more detailed settings in the Expert menu. At night or for watching movies, you can use the "Energy Saving " switch on your remote set to Minimum or Medium which will reduce the back light about 20% to 25% for each step.

Here's the link for the free AVS HD709. You download and burn it as an ISO file on a regular DVD and it plays as a Blu-ray in AVCHD format on most Blu-ray players that support that format:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Be sure to copy and follow the included (pdf file) instructions. It may also help to pause the test during the "flashing patterns" test for color adjustments.

Also included here are some starting points for using the AVS HD709 disc.

For those who want a quick initial setting, I've included one using the Cinema Preset. You may want to try this to get familiar with the menus and also give you a quick, decent picture with a range of recommended setting values to suit your taste.

AVS HD709 Staring Points.txt 0.810546875k . file

LG XXLD550 HDMI CINEMA (User) PICTURE 12-4-10 Usable Range.txt 0.8876953125k . file

Attachments

#98 ·
I was looking to buy the LG 32LK450, decided to check it out at Best Buy, all they had was the... CUSD product code same with the one on display.

The black level on this TV is terrible... even the cheapest Dynex and Insignia TV near it had way better black levels.... I messed around with the settings for 20 mins while in the store, black level seemed to be grayed out if i recall correctly, but I messed around with every other PQ setting on the set, even the picture wizard deal. Not impressed at all, was hoping to get this set for a good price

I don't get it, does the IPS version of this TV have significantly better black levels????

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik /forum/post/20494377

I was looking to buy the LG 32LK450, decided to check it out at Best Buy, all they had was the... CUSD product code same with the one on display.

The black level on this TV is terrible... even the cheapest Dynex and Insignia TV near it had way better black levels.... I messed around with the settings for 20 mins while in the store, black level seemed to be grayed out if i recall correctly, but I messed around with every other PQ setting on the set, even the picture wizard deal. Not impressed at all, was hoping to get this set for a good price

I don't get it, does the IPS version of this TV have significantly better black levels????

I'm not even sure there is an IPS version of the 32LK450. If they did, it'd be very similar to the 32LD450's IPS version. For LD450, the black level isn't the best. But if you're getting an IPS screen, you won't get the best black levels. However, you get so much more in terms of other benefits.

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik /forum/post/20494377

If you're playing around with the settings on a floor model, they probably have in in demo mode not home mode, so lot's of features etc will not be available to you. If you can't set the basics... contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc then all the other settings like color, tint, etc just won't look right. Nailing down the gray level is important, and doing that without a cal disk is difficult at best.

#101 ·
Hi all, I've been doing some research on the LK520 and have decided to go for it to be our bedroom tv. However, I wanted to know if anyone has done any input lag research with PS3s and X-Box 360s? It won't be my primary gaming system but I might drop in a console or two later on and want to be prepared. Thanks.

DCF