Official LG xxLK520 xxLK450 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 2833 Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Member
 
Silent52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Longueuil, QC, Canada
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About simplink: I exagerate a bit, but depending on what your setup is, one might be forced to switch inputs manually because simplink (anynet+, viera link and others) sometimes makes bad decisions. That's why I don't like it, but I can just turn it off. No big deal. I completely understand why some people like it.

About other TVs.
I decided to return the 47LK520 so I went to another store to look at a few sets. I looked at Sony, Panasonic and Samsung.

To me, the Panasonic TC-L42U25 (TC-L42U30 is this year's model) was the best looking one. The picture on the LK520 looked very good, although I thought the colors were a bit washed off. The Panasonic looked better in my view. This one was much thicker than the LG though. I don't mind but you might.

The Sony BX420 had light bleeding from the edges. I understand this one is a bit cheaper, but still, I wasn't overly impressed with the Sony. I looked at the EX620 also but it's smaller at 40'', and more expensive because it's a LED, and the picture on the LG is better in my mind. If I have to choose, I pick clarity over vibrant colors. In that aspect, the LG is better than the Sony I've looked at, but that's me.

I can't remember which Samsung I looked at, but I wasn't going to buy a Samsung because of the reported input lag from this forum. They did look quite good.

I ended up grabbing the Panasonic.
Silent52 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 2833 Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Matt Stieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious how the black levels on LK520 series compare to the '09 LH40 series? I currently have a 42LH40 from 2009. Most of my TV watching is nighttime viewing with no lights on, so I have my backlight set pretty low at 5 (for reference, my other settings are contrast:96, brightness:50, sharpness:42, color:50, colortemp:warm, gamma:medium). I feel this gives me pretty decent black levels for an LCD, but was just curious if the black levels have improved over the last couple of years with a newer model like the LK520.

(Was also looking at the edge-lit LED LV5500, but I'm a little concerned about blooming/bleeding/banding).
Matt Stieg is offline  
post #123 of 2833 Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Member
 
mesirtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to decide on a 37" LG-or-Panny for both monitor and tv use, and find the 2011 lineup [surprisingly?] includes the LK450 revamp of the LD450/CCFL/60hz, an apparent continuation of the 37LV3500/LED/60hz, but no updated 37LE5x00/LED/120hz?
For those with one of the LK450's -- does LG still claim "2:2/5:5-pulldown"? My limited understanding was that only a 120hz (in 37", only the 2009-10 stock of LE5300/5400's, now rather 'fished-out' for S-IPS/"W"-panels) can deliver 'true' 5:5?
Also, can anyone with hands-on for calibrations compare the overall PQ [blacks/details/'issues'/brightness/etc.] betwixt the 37" LD's&LK's and, moreover, compare them with the 37" LE5300?
Properly implemented, I'd assume some minor advantages for 120hz&LED -- all else equal. However, reviews of the 37LE5300 are underwhelming re: PQ/blacks/etc., while most LD/LK owners seem well satisfied...
mesirtoo is offline  
post #124 of 2833 Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesirtoo View Post
I'm trying to decide on a 37" LG-or-Panny for both monitor and tv use, and find the 2011 lineup [surprisingly?] includes the LK450 revamp of the LD450/CCFL/60hz, an apparent continuation of the 37LV3500/LED/60hz, but no updated 37LE5x00/LED/120hz?
For those with one of the LK450's -- does LG still claim "2:2/5:5-pulldown"? My limited understanding was that only a 120hz (in 37", only the 2009-10 stock of LE5300/5400's, now rather 'fished-out' for S-IPS/"W"-panels) can deliver 'true' 5:5?
Also, can anyone with hands-on for calibrations compare the overall PQ [blacks/details/'issues'/brightness/etc.] betwixt the 37" LD's&LK's and, moreover, compare them with the 37" LE5300?
Properly implemented, I'd assume some minor advantages for 120hz&LED -- all else equal. However, reviews of the 37LE5300 are underwhelming re: PQ/blacks/etc., while most LD/LK owners seem well satisfied...
Calibrations between the LK/LD/LV series are difficult to compare directly because all three lines are different, obviously. If any of them are calibrated correctly, they are going to look good given their inherent pros and cons. I think my LD520 rocks but the blacks could be better. However, the calibration more than compensates for that for my viewing. As far as the S-IPS panels, I don't think LG put them in their 37" line but I could be wrong. If you use your tv for a monitor as well as a television, there are going to be compromises, some major. Your video card in you PC is going to be a huge determining factor but others who are more versed in that can explain why. FWIW, we have a MacBookPro with the HD video card and all we have to do is connect the mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to the HDMI input of our 47LD520 and the tv turn into a crystal clear 47" monitor that mirrors the MBP exactly. Games, text, homework, everything looks like it does on the laptop. We can even run the audio thru the HTS. Makes me want to get into playing computer games again
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #125 of 2833 Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Member
 
mesirtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm fairly certain LG hawks S-IPS panels in all their HDTV's, and in all the 32-37" LE/LD/LK/LV-sets the "W" (or possibly "Y" for 2011/LK's) Lotto has been well-discussed and confirmed in many forums. Dunno how many cheaper VA-panels are subbed-in when their own production falls-short, but it's a significant percentage.
I'm less aware of any real 'changes/upgrade' within the LK's compared LD's...[so far, the "Y" replacing "W" for S-IPS is the only change mentioned]?
mesirtoo is offline  
post #126 of 2833 Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesirtoo View Post

I'm fairly certain LG hawks S-IPS panels in all their HDTV's, and in all the 32-37" LE/LD/LK/LV-sets the "W" (or possibly "Y" for 2011/LK's) Lotto has been well-discussed and confirmed in many forums. Dunno how many cheaper VA-panels are subbed-in when their own production falls-short, but it's a significant percentage.
I'm less aware of any real 'changes/upgrade' within the LK's compared LD's...[so far, the "Y" replacing "W" for S-IPS is the only change mentioned]?

To my knowledge, LG does not specifically state that all of their tv's use IPS panels, let alone the S-IPS panel, especially in the sub-42" size. There are other types of IPS panels that can, and are, used depending on the model. Unless you visually check various models on display somewhere, especially in the sub-42" size, you won't know for sure, period.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #127 of 2833 Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
djams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesirtoo View Post

-- does LG still claim "2:2/5:5-pulldown"? My limited understanding was that only a 120hz (in 37", only the 2009-10 stock of LE5300/5400's, now rather 'fished-out' for S-IPS/"W"-panels) can deliver 'true' 5:5?

The 2011 manual verbiage on this topic is exactly the same as the 2010 manual (the more I read it, the less sense it makes). It claims there is some interaction between trumotion and the pulldown framerate, which I think is poppycock. As you point out, a 60hz tv can't do 5:5 pulldown of 24fps material. What I think happens is that a 60hz set does 2:2 and a 120hz set does 5:5, and trumotion just does motion interpolation as usual.
djams is offline  
post #128 of 2833 Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Newbie
 
andrewbbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im having a problem with my lk520, dont know if I just never noticed it before or not, but I think its a new problem. When I plug my xbox in with HDMI cables, I cannot change the power saver mode, it goes into auto, and darkens the screen. Pretty sure it didnt use to do that. Anyone have a solution or heard of htis?
andrewbbb is offline  
post #129 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Newbie
 
Spaz202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesirtoo View Post
I'm fairly certain LG hawks S-IPS panels in all their HDTV's, and in all the 32-37" LE/LD/LK/LV-sets the "W" (or possibly "Y" for 2011/LK's) Lotto has been well-discussed and confirmed in many forums. Dunno how many cheaper VA-panels are subbed-in when their own production falls-short, but it's a significant percentage.
I'm less aware of any real 'changes/upgrade' within the LK's compared LD's...[so far, the "Y" replacing "W" for S-IPS is the only change mentioned]?
Can anyone cofirm that the 2011 models now use "Y" instead of "W" for S-IPS panels? Im heavily considering getting a 42" LK450 soon and I need to make sure im asking for the right panel type when I go to purchase it. Or will 42" LG's automatically have S-IPS?
Spaz202 is offline  
post #130 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz202 View Post
Can anyone cofirm that the 2011 models now use "Y" instead of "W" for S-IPS panels? Im heavily considering getting a 42" LK450 soon and I need to make sure im asking for the right panel type when I go to purchase it. Or will 42" LG's automatically have S-IPS?
Some have reported that various models with a "Y" in position 4 of the product code (instead of "W" like last year) have been S-IPS panels but I haven't heard that anyone has confirmed that using the loupe test (magnifying lens). If you have access to a B&M that carries LG's, I'd go down and start "scoping out" various models noting the product code and results to be sure. My feeling is that the 42LK450 would have the S-IPS because last year's 42LD450 did but........
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #131 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Newbie
 
Spaz202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by virotek View Post

Well, I managed to pick up another IPS 42LK450 on sale this past weekend so we had two screens to calibrate. Calibrated with Kanedo's Eye 1 Display LT connected to a PC via DVI->HDMI cable.

Calculated Contrast Ratio
  • LCD 1(Al): 807:1
  • LCD 2(Amy): 864:1

How would one know which type of LCD their LG is?
Spaz202 is offline  
post #132 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz202 View Post

How would one know which type of LCD their LG is?

On last year's US models, if there was a "W" in the fourth position of the product code (ex 47LD520.US-CSUWLR, something like that) then you were pretty much assured of getting the S-IPS panel (as opposed to the e-IPS or H-IPS). But it was only on certain models and sizes. This year, it seems that the "W" code has been replaced with a "Y". However, as has been stated many times before, the definitive way is to actually take a magnifying glass and look at the pixel pattern. If it's chevron shaped (<<<<<) then you have an S-IPS panel. But if you buy online, that becomes very difficult to do. You can always go to your local B&M with magnifying glass in hand and check out the demos, noting the product code which should be listed on the side of the tv. Then go online and see if you can find the same product code for a better price.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #133 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Member
 
jattmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would a 37LK450 be a better buy than TC-L37E3? I'm going to be using it mostly as a PC monitor.
jattmoney is offline  
post #134 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Newbie
 
Spaz202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

On last year's US models, if there was a "W" in the fourth position of the product code (ex 47LD520.US-CSUWLR, something like that) then you were pretty much assured of getting the S-IPS panel (as opposed to the e-IPS or H-IPS). But it was only on certain models and sizes. This year, it seems that the "W" code has been replaced with a "Y". However, as has been stated many times before, the definitive way is to actually take a magnifying glass and look at the pixel pattern. If it's chevron shaped (<<<<<) then you have an S-IPS panel. But if you buy online, that becomes very difficult to do. You can always go to your local B&M with magnifying glass in hand and check out the demos, noting the product code which should be listed on the side of the tv. Then go online and see if you can find the same product code for a better price.

O ok, Well i was more curious about the AI/Amy he had used to descibe the two types. Ex: Is the AI the S-IPS in his callibrations?
Spaz202 is offline  
post #135 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz202 View Post

O ok, Well i was more curious about the AI/Amy he had used to descibe the two types. Ex: Is the AI the S-IPS in his callibrations?

I'm not familiar with the terms AI/Amy. Message him and ask.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #136 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Newbie
 
virotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz202 View Post
O ok, Well i was more curious about the AI/Amy he had used to descibe the two types. Ex: Is the AI the S-IPS in his callibrations?
Sorry for the confusion, one set was for me, Al, and the other Amy. Both LCDs were identified as having a product code starting with CUSY.
virotek is offline  
post #137 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
djams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz202

O ok, Well i was more curious about the AI/Amy he had used to descibe the two types. Ex: Is the AI the S-IPS in his callibrations?


Both of virotek's sets are IPS panels (per his posts). Since he has 2 identical TV's, it looks like he named them Al and Amy in order to keep track of settings, etc. A bit easier than remembering a serial #.

Edit: I see virotek answered while I was very slowly composing my reply - well, at least I was close...
djams is offline  
post #138 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Member
 
Some dillweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jattmoney View Post
Would a 37LK450 be a better buy than TC-L37E3? I'm going to be using it mostly as a PC monitor.
If the 37" version has a VA panel like the 32" I got, I wouldn't suggest getting the LK450. I tried out a 32LK450 and, while the colour and picture quality were decent enough, the input lag was very noticeable. This was coming from a BenQ FP241W monitor that's been tested with ~30ms of input lag, which I find fast enough to be pretty much negligible.
Some dillweed is offline  
post #139 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post


Both of virotek's sets are IPS panels (per his posts). Since he has 2 identical TV's, it looks like he named them Al and Amy in order to keep track of settings, etc. A bit easier than remembering a serial #.

Edit: I see virotek answered while I was very slowly composing my reply - well, at least I was close...
I didn't go back far enough in this thread to see if he had specified and confirmed the type of IPS panel he had.

If I may beat this dead horse one more time, I think it would be a benefit to some if when we discuss IPS panels, we specify what kind of panel it is. It seems that S-IPS is the coveted panel for some but a lot of folks don't know that there are different kinds with different properties. So, if someone says that his tv has an IPS panel, someone else may buy the same model thinking that it's going to meet their needs (usually gaming) and when it doesn't, they return a perfectly good tv. And it seems that people are returning sets more often than they change their underwear for no better reason than they didn't like the input lag or the off-axis viewing. Two functions that others might not care about. However, with the high return rate, online retailers and B&M are going to start changing their return policies which only hurts the rest of us.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now and will go sit quietly in the corner.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #140 of 2833 Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Member
 
jattmoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some dillweed View Post
If the 37" version has a VA panel like the 32" I got, I wouldn't suggest getting the LK450. I tried out a 32LK450 and, while the colour and picture quality were decent enough, the input lag was very noticeable. This was coming from a BenQ FP241W monitor that's been tested with ~30ms of input lag, which I find fast enough to be pretty much negligible.
I read that the 37" is an IPS panel. Will have to find one local and see.
jattmoney is offline  
post #141 of 2833 Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Antipodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some dillweed View Post

If the 37" version has a VA panel like the 32" I got, I wouldn't suggest getting the LK450. I tried out a 32LK450 and, while the colour and picture quality were decent enough, the input lag was very noticeable. This was coming from a BenQ FP241W monitor that's been tested with ~30ms of input lag, which I find fast enough to be pretty much negligible.

I tested the 32LK450 VA panel and it had one to two frames (16-33 ms) of input lag, much more often at one frame. I listed my method earlier in the thread if you're interested. How did you test yours?

Every local store I've only seen VA versions of the 32 inch and IPS version of the 37 inch. I plan on using the set as a pc/console gaming monitor, so the pixel pitch for the 37 inch is too big for how close I'd be sitting. I've heard of people getting the 32 inch IPS version but haven't seen any around
Antipodes is offline  
post #142 of 2833 Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Newbie
 
mike_leafs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I just got the 47LK520. I'm trying to find out if it's an ips panel. I researched a bit, got a magnifying glass and looked at it. It seems as though it is a chevron symbol but pointing the opposite way everyone is saying. it is pointing like this <, not like >.

Does that make a difference?
mike_leafs13 is offline  
post #143 of 2833 Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 PM
 
Phase700B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_leafs13 View Post

Hey guys, I just got the 47LK520. I'm trying to find out if it's an ips panel. I researched a bit, got a magnifying glass and looked at it. It seems as though it is a chevron symbol but pointing the opposite way everyone is saying. it is pointing like this <, not like >.

Does that make a difference?

A chevron pattern such as " < < < < <" is correct. It is and S-IPS panel. Some folks (like me) sometimes get left and right mixed up.

As long as it's a chevron pattern. If the new LK series turns out like last years LD series, these will be really nice TVs. I have a 42LD550 from 2010, but I sure would like a 47LK520 if the price were right and they perform as well as last year.

Well, off to the North Woods of Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest . A few days to enjoy nature, watch out for black bear (were FIVE of them in our yard 3 weeks ago!), and maybe wet a fishin' pole. I think I saw some Koi in a neighbors pond up there. . . JK. . . checking to see if Otto sees this. Cheers everyone.
Phase700B is offline  
post #144 of 2833 Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

and maybe wet a fishin' pole. I think I saw some Koi in a neighbors pond up there. . . JK. . . checking to see if Otto sees this. Cheers everyone.

I'm surprised there's koi up there with bears. I have enough problems with racoons and egrets (herons) I can't even imagine bears Touch base when you get back.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #145 of 2833 Old 06-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Member
 
Some dillweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post

I tested the 32LK450 VA panel and it had one to two frames (16-33 ms) of input lag, much more often at one frame. I listed my method earlier in the thread if you're interested. How did you test yours?

By using it. I don't have the equipment to compare the latency to a fast CRT or anything, I just compared it to my experience with the monitor I already have and use on a regular basis. The FP241W has been tested in reviews and by other people as having around 30-33 ms of input lag. The 32LK450 I got had significantly more and made it feel sluggish in use when PC/console gaming and even just doing simple tasks on the PC. I used the "Game" mode, I made sure all the extra processing options were turned off that could be, and also tried offloading the scaling from the display to the GPU when using the PC (which seemed like it may have helped a tiny bit, but barely). It made no real difference.

If it's fine for you, great. But it felt sluggish and unresponsive compared to my almost 4-year-old monitor, which wasn't really acceptable to me. Were you using it through the VGA connection? I was just using DVI-HDMI and HDMI cables. Even if it had been faster, it wouldn't have really helped in my case because I didn't want to deal with the colour shift of another VA panel when I already have that on my current monitor. I'm willing to spend some more time and increase my budget to find something with better response and to get something I'll actually enjoy using.
Some dillweed is offline  
post #146 of 2833 Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Member
 
Antipodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It isn't about whether it is "fine for me" but whether it was fine for you. If you felt it was not responsive, then by all means look for another set. But forgive me I take your "by feel" lag test with a huge grain of salt.

I returned mine also simply because I didn't want a VA panel. It wasn't because of input lag as my results met expectations since they were the same numbers that people got with last year's LG xxLD450.

Lastly, I'm not claiming my results are accurate, but they were good enough for me. If you still have your set and have spare digital camera, you should try clone mode to compare the two (assuming your monitor also outputs 1080p).
Antipodes is offline  
post #147 of 2833 Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Newbie
 
chong01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 42LK450 with a "Y" product code yesterday, and took a macro photo:



The colors looked a more natural after switching the picture mode to Standard (default was Vivid).
However, I noticed that the right 2/5 of the screen has a yellowish tint, most obvious on a white or grey background. I'm using this both as a PC monitor and TV, so the yellow tint can get a little disturbing when surfing webpages.

Is this yellow tint present on all sets?
chong01 is offline  
post #148 of 2833 Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Newbie
 
mike_leafs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

A chevron pattern such as " < < < < <" is correct. It is and S-IPS panel. Some folks (like me) sometimes get left and right mixed up.

As long as it's a chevron pattern. If the new LK series turns out like last years LD series, these will be really nice TVs. I have a 42LD550 from 2010, but I sure would like a 47LK520 if the price were right and they perform as well as last year.

Well, off to the North Woods of Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest . A few days to enjoy nature, watch out for black bear (were FIVE of them in our yard 3 weeks ago!), and maybe wet a fishin' pole. I think I saw some Koi in a neighbors pond up there. . . JK. . . checking to see if Otto sees this. Cheers everyone.

nice, i won the panel lottery!

thanks for the response
mike_leafs13 is offline  
post #149 of 2833 Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong01 View Post

I bought a 42LK450 with a "Y" product code yesterday, and took a macro photo:



The colors looked a more natural after switching the picture mode to Standard (default was Vivid).
However, I noticed that the right 2/5 of the screen has a yellowish tint, most obvious on a white or grey background. I'm using this both as a PC monitor and TV, so the yellow tint can get a little disturbing when surfing webpages.

Is this yellow tint present on all sets?

Now this is what I'm talking about! Visual confirmation with the product code (or at least some of it). It would be nice to include the entire code (the letters after the model number as well). I think if a few others can take pics of other models/screen size then we'll have a pretty good feel for the product codes and what folks "should" expect when they order online. Congrats on the S-IPS. You'll love it!
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #150 of 2833 Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
djams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong01 View Post

Is this yellow tint present on all sets?

I would certainly hope not.

My initial thought is that you'll probably be exchanging this set. But to possibly save you the hassle, please give us info on your signal source for tv and connection type for both tv and pc. Do you see the problem on both tv and pc?
djams is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off