Official LG xxLK520 xxLK450 - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought an 42lk520 that has an s- isp panel mostly for xbox360. I play halo reach, bf3, and skyrim on it. I haven't noticed any input lag. Even with ture motion turned all the way up. Can people really see 60 to 80 ms. I mean the human eye blinks at 200 to 300 ms. Im not a pro gamer but play alot. I don't see any input lag when I push jump my guy jumps. Maybe im just not that sensitive to it. Coming from a 22" 60hz phillips to 42" 120hz seems the same to me. The only lag I notice is network lag but all online games will experience that its just a part of online play. Now I don't play with turn motion all the way up but have. Does any other casual gamer notice input lag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbreaker View Post

Refer to this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1211809

Just got my new LG 55lk520 hooked up with hdmi, thanks to Phase my picture seems about as perfect as i can get it.
. . . .Is this just the refresh rate on lcds cant keep up or is it more from the networks limitations? I have three lcd's, all newer, that do the same thing. Besides this little annoyance here and there the picture is stunningly clear. ..

Yes, as Plasma indicated more often than not motion artifacts come from network or local feed signal compression. Not to say you won't see some motion artifacts on other material. One thing that can drive a TV bonkers is fast strobbing lights as in lightening or very fast motion in some movies. And you do tend to see it more on a large 55" screen.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it! It is a lot of TV for the $$$.
post #1473 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline007 View Post

I had a problem where i would have faint lines scrolling across my screen only when watching cable tv.
they were horizontal lines which scrolled from south to north.

instead of connecting my cable directly to my cable box, i ran it through my surge protector's coaxial protector and then ran another cable from the surge pro to the cable box, and it stopped.

what caused this?

Kind of hard to say. You could try connecting the cable back up directly and see if they come back in case it is coincidence. But it may be some cable box issue of connection problem. Are the cables used new or have they been around for awhile? Sometimes the center copper conductor can become dull and oxidized almost turning black. You can clean and shine them up with small pieces of Scotch bright pad.
post #1474 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Is there a possibility of using one's ISF Expert profiles when playing .mkv files with the USB-media-player on a LK450? I can only chose the standard modes like standard, vivid, game, cinema (without being able to set further calibration-settings) ...
post #1475 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvellocet View Post

Is there a possibility of using one's ISF Expert profiles when playing .mkv files with the USB-media-player on a LK450? I can only chose the standard modes like standard, vivid, game, cinema (without being able to set further calibration-settings) ...

If things haven't changed from the LD450 from last year, no. When using the USB ports and when using the Net apps in the 520 series only limited presets are available.

However, you might check the LG website for a larger multi model pdf manual. Last year they had a downloadable 204 manual with more info in it. However, LG isn't the best at listing some detailed information.
post #1476 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

For 42LK520's, the update applies for -UA only (as stated on the LG website).

Huh. I have UA, so my problem is obviously not with that. Maybe the TV just doesn't like my flash drive?
post #1477 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsolete1202 View Post

I recently bought an 42lk520 that has an s- isp panel mostly for xbox360. I play halo reach, bf3, and skyrim on it. I haven't noticed any input lag. Even with ture motion turned all the way up. Can people really see 60 to 80 ms. I mean the human eye blinks at 200 to 300 ms. Im not a pro gamer but play alot. I don't see any input lag when I push jump my guy jumps. Maybe im just not that sensitive to it. Coming from a 22" 60hz phillips to 42" 120hz seems the same to me. The only lag I notice is network lag but all online games will experience that its just a part of online play. Now I don't play with turn motion all the way up but have. Does any other casual gamer notice input lag?

I haven't noticed any input lag either- tried my 360 over VGA and PS3 via HDMI.
post #1478 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Have they announced a 2012 model of the LK450? Hoping that there's no panel lottery this year (or at the very least, the 32" IPS models are more prevalent).
post #1479 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post

Have they announced a 2012 model of the LK450? Hoping that there's no panel lottery this year (or at the very least, the 32" IPS models are more prevalent).

Considering that there was a "lottery" in 2010 and 2011, it wouldn't surprise me if LG continued it this year. Besides, there's no way of telling until the models hit the stores and people start doing loupe tests and noting the product codes.
post #1480 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Purchased an HDMI to DVI cable and enabled 4:4:4. Text now looks very crisp! I don't think I can ever go back to TFT monitors for PC use...
post #1481 of 2833 Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post

It's really hard to find much info about "old-fashioned" CCFL models right now. Naturally, LG is hyping their new high-end stuff - which looks pretty impressive. I was able to find confirmation that there will indeed still be CCFL sets in 2012, according to the chart at the botton of this page: http://www.lg.com/us/press-release/a...-hdtv-line.jsp

No mention at all of refresh rates (let alone panel type). Making some assumptions, I can pretty easily align the entries in the chart with the current LK series offerings.

What IS interesting is that (according to the link) 47" will be the largest CCFL offered by LG in 2012.
post #1482 of 2833 Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

It's really hard to find much info about "old-fashioned" CCFL models right now. Naturally, LG is hyping their new high-end stuff - which looks pretty impressive. I was able to find confirmation that there will indeed still be CCFL sets in 2012, according to the chart at the botton of this page: http://www.lg.com/us/press-release/a...-hdtv-line.jsp

No mention at all of refresh rates (let alone panel type). Making some assumptions, I can pretty easily align the entries in the chart with the current LK series offerings.

What IS interesting is that (according to the link) 47" will be the largest CCFL offered by LG in 2012.

http://hdguru.com/ces-2012-lgs-hdtv-line/7018/

I noticed that none of the CCFL TVs in LG's 2012 lineup appear to have the Smart TV feature according to link above. There was at least one model in the 2010 & 2011 LG CCFL lineup that had NetCast(or Smart TV) feature. It appears that only the LED and Plasma models of LG 2012 Lineup has this Smart TV feature. This shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone looking to get a 2012 LG CCFL model TV but thought it was interesting.
post #1483 of 2833 Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrix76 View Post

http://hdguru.com/ces-2012-lgs-hdtv-line/7018/

I noticed that none of the CCFL TVs in LG's 2012 lineup appear to have the Smart TV feature according to link above. There was at least one model in the 2010 & 2011 LG CCFL lineup that had NetCast(or Smart TV) feature. It appears that only the LED and Plasma models of LG 2012 Lineup has this Smart TV feature. This shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone looking to get a 2012 LG CCFL model TV but thought it was interesting.

I never did really buy into smart tv. Too me, it's just another gimmick to go wrong or cause issues. I would rather have my connectivity for streaming etc via a BD player or my ATV2. If either one breaks or has to get repaired, I still have my tv. Until Smart TV becomes more robust I think it's going to be the weak link on tv's. Others will probably disagree but that's just my $0.02.
post #1484 of 2833 Old 01-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1962 View Post

I will try that one,I have a really good picture apart from slight greenish yellow tint to skin tones,if this doesnt work it will defo need to be calib with AVS !

Well Ive got rid of the greenish yellow tint by just giving it a + 10 red in the tint control. I just have it on the standard preset setting,so this will do me until I run a AVS disc.
post #1485 of 2833 Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Well Ive got rid of the greenish yellow tint by just giving it a + 10 red in the tint control. I just have it on the standard preset setting,so this will do me until I run a AVS disc.

You might try doing a "2-Point" gray scale in the Expert first, as a coarse adjust and then a full 10 Point when you get the AVS Disc. Actually, 2-Point will get you a pretty good picture on these TVs as long as you basic back light, brightness, and contrast are set properly first.

There is more to it, but I'm sur you will have questions once you get the disc.
post #1486 of 2833 Old 01-13-2012, 10:34 AM

2 point can be adjusted fairly well even using the Inner test fields. Plus usually they are not that far off. Using the AVS 709 disk many owers get a closer gray scale in the 2 point range. No. it won't be "dead on", but if there are obvious tints of red, green, or blue it will be better than leaving those visible errors in there,

It has been done many times.
post #1487 of 2833 Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 PM

I bought a 47LK520 last week and it looks like I am getting a clouding issue in the top right corner. I've read on earlier posts that it improved over time. I posted a picture to get your thoughts. I'm debating on whether it is bad enough to return or keep.

post #1488 of 2833 Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Sorry to hear you have a light leakage issue. You could try gently flexing that upper corner of the LCD frame only (with a black screen paused) and see if that changes or lessens it. If so, it may get better after time. Also, sometimes when the TV was assembled uneven pressure is applied and the LCD panel gets flexed a bit. Some owners have tried loosening the screws on the back panel along the edges and it relieved the uneven pressure.

This can happen during shipping and warehouse storage also, and even wide temperature changes in shipping and storage. So, waiting a bit may gain some improvement if you have time to still take it back if a few weeks?
post #1489 of 2833 Old 01-13-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 47LD520 (2010) and noticed a slight clouding as you show in your pic. Not a big deal because it either went away or I just got used to it. Hasn't affected any movies and tv is just fine.
post #1490 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

You might try doing a "2-Point" gray scale in the Expert first, as a coarse adjust and then a full 10 Point when you get the AVS Disc. Actually, 2-Point will get you a pretty good picture on these TVs as long as you basic back light, brightness, and contrast are set properly first.

There is more to it, but I'm sur you will have questions once you get the disc.

Hi sorry about being a bit dumb but can you explain roughly how to do a 2 point set up ,is it just a matter of making sure there is no hint of colour in the white screen.?
post #1491 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssbarry View Post

I bought a 47LK520 last week and it looks like I am getting a clouding issue in the top right corner. I've read on earlier posts that it improved over time. I posted a picture to get your thoughts. I'm debating on whether it is bad enough to return or keep.

I've been using ips based sets for a while and one trick I've learned is to take a soft cloth and gently (with some light pressure) wipe from one side of the screen to the other. Try up and down and side to side What
I see in your picture looks like pressure build up in the upper right corner. You should be able to redistribute that pressure more evenly throughout the panel to make it less noticeable. Do it in a darkened room to make sure you are happy with the results (it might take a while to get it where you want it). Keep in mind that when you wipe or dust the set with pressure you will change it again. I don't think this works for led based sets since they are built differently.
post #1492 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Hi sorry about being a bit dumb but can you explain roughly how to do a 2 point set up ,is it just a matter of making sure there is no hint of colour in the white screen.?

Not a dumb question at all. To start out with, yes you would be looking to remove any obvious colored tint, but you should read up on this a bit and and get as full an understanding as you can about that to adjust, what to look for and why. Using a calibration aid disk such as AVS HD709, Spears & Musil, Avia, or even Disney WOW might be best. But if you set the 2-Point to the "Inner" pattern and see the R,G,B contrast and brightness settings, you can check to see if there is any red, green, or blue tint to them. Usually, it would be most noticeable in the lighter "contrast" screen. And make small changes to see the effects. You want to get the lighter white screen actually a very light gray. Most people want to go to much towards blue if unfamiliar with the "colors" of gray. The lower "brightness" R,G,B screen may be closer to gray than the the first contrast settings of R,G,B so may not need much correction.

If you chose to do this, make sure you check it with a good B&W DVD or Blu-ray movie. Young Frankenstein or something like it will work. If the gray scale is off and shows any tint then you may likely see it. Of course, this is no substitution for using one of the calibration aid disks mentioned above, or best yet, using a good quality meter ($500 to $3,500 or more); but if the 2-Point is visibly off you can get it a bit closer to gray and improve color and picture quality a bit more than what it was.

Basically, you want to adjust the red , green and blue values in slight increments to remove any hint of color in the light gray and then dark gray screen, being careful to not get it too "blue gray". Once you've arrived at something that looks reasonably "gray", try a B&W DVD or Blu-ray movie, or one with B&W content like the still pictures in Sea Biscuit ( a good reference movie by the way). BE sure to write the values down so if you wish to change them a little, you know where you started. And, of course, if you think it's just made it worse, return all the values back to zero and leave it or start again.

Be aware, that all you are trying to do here is remove any really obvious visual tint to the gray scale and improve it a bit so over all picture quality may be a bit better than out of the box. This does not amount to "calibrating" your TV. It will get the gray scale a bit closer though, if there are obvious tints to both 2-Point screens. The lighter contrast R,G,B values may need more changes plus or minus than the lower or darker screen.

Here is an included calibration explanation that everyone should read:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
post #1493 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznus97 View Post

I've been using ips based sets for a while and one trick I've learned is to take a soft cloth and gently (with some light pressure) wipe from one side of the screen to the other. Try up and down and side to side What
I see in your picture looks like pressure build up in the upper right corner. You should be able to redistribute that pressure more evenly throughout the panel to make it less noticeable. Do it in a darkened room to make sure you are happy with the results (it might take a while to get it where you want it). Keep in mind that when you wipe or dust the set with pressure you will change it again. I don't think this works for led based sets since they are built differently.

Yes, that may help also, but I hesitated to mention this method as what is light pressure to one person may be vigorous and excessive to another.

Also, if a person does this, use a new, unused and clean micro fiber cloth or a plain and very clean old T-shirt that doesn't have holes in it.
post #1494 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Yes, that may help also, but I hesitated to mention this method as what is light pressure to one person may be vigorous and excessive to another.

That is excellent advice. I've seen this light leakage/flashlighting(?) in a few tv's. The 47lk520 is the third model I've tried from Bestbuy, and seems to have the least amount of it, at least the particular model I ended up with. It really does seem like pulling a number out of a hat when you buy one of these.
post #1495 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM

I have a quick firmware question. I recently bought a 37LK450U-ZH to give it it's full title (for £299, which seems to be a good price!) The current firmware version is 03.01.06.

On the LG support website, the 37LK450U page lists 04.01.33 as the latest version but then gives the following list of applicable models:

[Applicable Model]
19LV2300-ZA
19LV2500-ZA
19LV250A-ZA
19LV250N-ZA

Is this likely to be just the support website going a bit wrong? If I try the upgrade and it is for a different model will it just notify me or could it brick the TV?
post #1496 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssbarry View Post

assuming that photograph is not exaggerating the issue, I'd exchange it

it looks pretty bad in the top right portion of the screen
post #1497 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianatkin View Post

I have a quick firmware question. I recently bought a 37LK450U-ZH to give it it's full title (for £299, which seems to be a good price!) The current firmware version is 03.01.06.

On the LG support website, the 37LK450U page lists 04.01.33 as the latest version but then gives the following list of applicable models:

[Applicable Model]
19LV2300-ZA
19LV2500-ZA
19LV250A-ZA
19LV250N-ZA

Is this likely to be just the support website going a bit wrong? If I try the upgrade and it is for a different model will it just notify me or could it brick the TV?

I wouldn't do it. Contact customer service to see if they can get the issue sorted out.
post #1498 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

And from that link...

"What is greyscale calibration?

Performing greyscale calibration is the act of adjusting your display to make sure that from black (0 IRE) to white (100 IRE) the display shows as close to the correct shade of grey as possible without the intrusion of unwanted colours.They cannot be slightly reddish, bluish, or greenish. This is done with the aid of a colour measuring meter.[/u]"

And the reference is there for anyone to determine if they want to try a 2-Point correction or not. As I mentioned in my first post, it can always be easily returned to the "0" starting point. I disagree with leaving it "as is" in that if a visible error in tint is apparent to just the two upper and lower IRE 2-Point screens, any visible correction will be closer than what was previously visible.

Not all owners will wish to purchase calibration equipment nor pay for someone to do it. However, if they try it themselves and see what is involved, they may very well decide to do so. The adjustment to gray scale is a user accessible feature in this line of LG TVs and , again, can always easily be returned to the initial "out of the box" setting. Any correction to a visible pink, green, or bluish hue will be better than leaving it with an obvious push in any of those colors, as long as it is done sparingly. If an owner wishes to use calibration equipment, I included the reference to satisfy that desire. That is why I suggested reading up on it and included the reference to be fair and let them become aware of what is involved. The Display Calibration Forum is available for those who wish more details in that area.
post #1499 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And the reference is there for anyone to determine if they want to try a 2-Point correction or not. As I mentioned in my first post, it can always be easily returned to the "0" starting point. I disagree with leaving it "as is" in that if a visible error in tint is apparent to just the two upper and lower IRE 2-Point screens, any visible correction will be closer than what was previously visible.

Not all owners will wish to purchase calibration equipment nor pay for someone to do it. However, if they try it themselves and see what is involved, they may very well decide to do so. The adjustment to gray scale is a user accessible feature in this line of LG TVs and , again, can always easily be returned to the initial "out of the box" setting. Any correction to a visible pink, green, or bluish hue will be better than leaving it with an obvious push in any of those colors, as long as it is done sparingly. If an owner wishes to use calibration equipment, I included the reference to satisfy that desire. That is why I suggested reading up on it and included the reference to be fair and let them become aware of what is involved. The Display Calibration Forum is available for those who wish more details in that area.

I see you conveniently edited out the portion of my quote that said:

"A meter must be used as our eyes are a horrible tool for measuring colours."

I'm not saying everyone should buy a meter and do grayscale calibration but at least have the common sense to leave alone controls that are designed for meter use only.

In fact, this article (http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/01/calibra...-made-you-god/) demonstrates how a basic calibration that only adjusts the main user controls can be perfectly valid. It, however, doesn't recommend doing grayscale by eye or with a cheap meter.
post #1500 of 2833 Old 01-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I see you conveniently edited out the portion of my quote that said:

"A meter must be used as our eyes are a horrible tool for measuring colours."

I'm not saying everyone should buy a meter and do grayscale calibration but at least have the common sense to leave alone controls that are designed for meter use only.

Well, what you say has not been my experience nor that of others. You can quote all the articles you want, it does not invalidate what anyone wants to try on their own TV and see what results they can get. Most of these articles are conveniently provided by commercial concerns or those connected with selling or promoting a service. And, as I said, it may help an owner determine if they wish to purchase a meter or calibration service, but you ignore that part of it. It IS their TV and they are user controls without danger of bricking or damaging it. You can read any other thread in other AVS TV threads from Samsung, Sony, Pansonic, etc and many other owners also opt to make whatever visible corrections to gray scale they can. You ARE aware that for years what was then called "purity" adjustments were done without any meter. High and low cuts to CRT based TVs and monitors were always done with things like a Sencore signal generator, the technicians eye and perhaps some optical comparison. And LG makes this possible because the TV has internal test screens. If you or anyone chooses not to use them it is their prerogative. Just because there are some consumer grade meters available today, albeit of varying accuracy, does not totally invalidate making corrections to obvious visible gray scale errors once a person knows what to look for as has been done for years before the use of colorimeters and specroradiometers.

Besides, this is just a 2-Point gray scale correction not a full blown 10 or 20 point calibration attempt. Myself and a majority of TV owners have been enjoying excellent TV picture quality for years without the use of meters to make minor gray scale correction. Again, you nor anyone has to agree, but to forbid a TV owner to learn about his own TVs adjustments unless he purchase and use even a $250 to $500 meter is a bit ridiculous. Especially, since they are USER ADJUSTABLE controls and test screens without the danger of any damage to their TV. To say so is dogma at best.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page