post #181 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I would suggest using the AVS HD709 disk. There is a learning curve using that but I think you'll get better and more satisfying results than the Calibration Wizard. I have the 47LD520.

I agree with Otto - the free avs hd 709 disc will help you do a better job. But while you're waiting to find the time to download and burn it to disc, by all means run the picture wizard.

And yes, you got a great deal. That's 100 usd less than I paid for last year's 47LD520 back in December. Nice find

"Grats on the new tv!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 12:16 PM

thanks a lot for your tip ! i will use the avs calibration tonight ! Do you think the bd-r version wil work burned on dvd-r on a ps3 ? Also i have access to a eye one display 2... is it worth a try ?
post #183 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by will1983 View Post
thanks a lot for your tip ! i will use the avs calibration tonight ! Do you think the bd-r version wil work burned on dvd-r on a ps3 ? Also i have access to a eye one display 2... is it worth a try ?
I burned mine to a DVD-R and it played fine on my Blu-ray for calibrating. If you have access to other calibration equipment, and know how to use it, then definitely try it. You can't set the IRE settings using the AVS disk only. The AVS disk will give you a great calibration but having the IRE's set appropriately just gives you a "fuller" looking calibration (subjective but real ). Djams was my reference for those and I'm sure he'll give you pointers and suggestions Oh yeah, don't forget to snag the instructions because they do help and I would suggest watching the little video on the disk before you attempt anything.
post #184 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Hey everyone, I am really sorry if I am in the wrong place, but I do need some help!

To start off, I will use this as a computer monitor. I game/build websites/graphic design(light)/coding/CAD(light) and of course office and internet use. This monitor will be seen by lots of people so it HAS to be an IPS panel for my uses. To me, it seems crazy to spend $1500 on a 30" UltraSharp if a TV can suit my needs better and still give pretty accurate colors and great viewing angles along with low lag latency for gaming.

So, I am thinking about getting the 37LK450 and making sure it is the IPS panel, but before I do, is there any huge difference between the xxLD450 and the xxLK450 series? Or am I totally in the wrong ballpark here when it comes to viewing solutions? Should I go with an IPS monitor like an ultrasharp? I feel like I have done the research to find what would be good computer monitors, but just don't know the last step in finding the best one for me.

Sorry if this sounds like a "choose this for me" post, I really do want to do more research and learn while I make this purchasing decision. If I am way out of line to post this, feel free to delete/send me in the right direction!

Thank you everyone in advance,

Hippo
post #185 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo08 View Post

Hey everyone, I am really sorry if I am in the wrong place, but I do need some help!

To start off, I will use this as a computer monitor. I game/build websites/graphic design(light)/coding/CAD(light) and of course office and internet use. This monitor will be seen by lots of people so it HAS to be an IPS panel for my uses. To me, it seems crazy to spend $1500 on a 30" UltraSharp if a TV can suit my needs better and still give pretty accurate colors and great viewing angles along with low lag latency for gaming.

So, I am thinking about getting the 37LK450 and making sure it is the IPS panel, but before I do, is there any huge difference between the xxLD450 and the xxLK450 series? Or am I totally in the wrong ballpark here when it comes to viewing solutions? Should I go with an IPS monitor like an ultrasharp? I feel like I have done the research to find what would be good computer monitors, but just don't know the last step in finding the best one for me.

Sorry if this sounds like a "choose this for me" post, I really do want to do more research and learn while I make this purchasing decision. If I am way out of line to post this, feel free to delete/send me in the right direction!

Thank you everyone in advance,

Hippo

The xxLK450 are still relatively new so comparison to the xxLD450 are a little sparse right now. The LD450 is last year's model so I'm not sure if it's still widely available (haven't looked recently). Also, I don't remember if the 37LD450 had the S-IPS panel or not. I know LG only put them in certain sizes so you may have to look around here and see if someone confirmed the S-IPS in the 37LD450 or has confirmed it in the 37LK450. From what you've described, it sounds like you may want to definitely have the S-IPS panel if you want to purchase a tv rather than a specific monitor.
post #186 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Get the Dell for your work related tasks. TVs may be bigger but they still max out at 1920x1080 resolution whereas the Dell has 2560x1600. You'll appreciate the extra resolution especially for coding/CAD.

Another option is to set up 3x32 inch monitors so you have plenty of resolution to work with. Downside is the bezel for most 32 inch TVs, including the LD/LK450, are really huge.
post #187 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 PM

Hey Otto Pylot and Antipodes,

Thank you for your responses and information! So I should have said that I don't actually intend to do my work related CAD/coding projects on this screen. It will be for fun(but a lot of people WILL be viewing this screen, so I still need the IPS).

Do you still recommend the UltraSharp if I won't be doing huge work projects on it? Right now, I have a 22" TN panel, and I am just thinking its time for a change(people always say they cant see anything and colors distort). At work I have 3 27" Ultrasharps, it feels like being a god at work to remembering I am a tiny ant at home. Lol!

If ultrasharps are the way to go, I will buy them, but if not, I will look around for a great TV that has good angles and good color reproduction as well as good latency for gaming!

Thank you guys again,

If I get the LK here in Austin, TX I wouldn't mind setting it up with someone who has an LD around here if someone has one! Judging about what people are saying about the panels I might as well just try one and if I don't like it I can go with the UltraSharps.
post #188 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Hello all.

It's been along time since I've been here.

Glad to see it's still going strong.

Great community.

Just bought an LG 55LK520 from BB.

It's scheduled to arrive on Monday the 20th.

Coming from a Hitachi 42" plasma from about 7 years ago. Just took it's last breath.

I'll be posting initial impressions out of the box and after shutting off all the "auto-stuff".

It'll be a while before I can get an ISF done so I'm hoping to glean the advice from all of the pros here to setup and calibrate.

I'll admit that I was lurking here for a bit to help me decide what to buy so thanks to all of you.
post #189 of 2833 Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabyte000 View Post

Hello all.

It's been along time since I've been here.

Glad to see it's still going strong.

Great community.

Just bought an LG 55LK520 from BB.

It's scheduled to arrive on Monday the 20th.

Coming from a Hitachi 42" plasma from about 7 years ago. Just took it's last breath.

I'll be posting initial impressions out of the box and after shutting off all the "auto-stuff".

It'll be a while before I can get an ISF done so I'm hoping to glean the advice from all of the pros here to setup and calibrate.

I'll admit that I was lurking here for a bit to help me decide what to buy so thanks to all of you.

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase! If this year's 55LK520 is like last year's 55LD520, you're going to be very happy. I have the 47LD520 and love it. Sounds like you've got a good handle so far on what to do first (turning off all of the enhancements) so I'd suggest getting the AVS HD709 disk when you're ready to start calibrating. Let your set warm up first before making any adjustments and go for it. Let us know what panel type you have (product code please and loupe test results).
post #190 of 2833 Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the welcome Otto.

I will post the product code.

And the loupe test once I get my hands on one.

Cheers
post #191 of 2833 Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1983
Also i have access to a eye one display 2... is it worth a try ?
Most definitelty. There is a lot to learn though, and I'd recommend doing a lot of reading before you start. First thing to read would be Greyscale and Color Calibration for Dummies (google it). If, after reading this you feel that this is something you are capable of/interested in doing, then post back and I'll provide other links here on avs that were really helpful to me when I was trying to figure it all out.
post #192 of 2833 Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
So, I decided to take a chance on the LK450 models again. I went to Future Shop to check out a few different models, but from the information I got, the LK450 are one of the few likely possibilities to have the full RGB chroma capabilities. I looked for a 37" with the "Y" code, but none had it, so I ended up "having" to get the 42" (heheh). It has the "Y" code, but I haven't really checked the pixel structure or anything to make sure it's actually an IPS. Set it up, did some very basic changes to "Game" mode and the temperature just to test it out, and it looks good (for the price, at least). The lag is less noticeable than on the 32" I tried before, and I'm pretty sure this is the best value I'm going to get in the price range.

Now, I haven't had enough time to check the panel itself yet. Since I've never had an IPS before, I'm just curious, does IPS still have slightly noticeable colour/image dropoff after a certain horizontal angle? Sitting at my (a little too close) computer seating of around 3 feet, I did notice some very slight issues in the corners, but about 8 feet away it doesn't seem to have any problems until I get to ~45 degrees on either side. Of course, I'm guessing the vertical angles aren't going to be great given it's an LCD and that seems to come with the technology. (edit: I meant ~45 degrees, not 90. It might actually still be okay past that, but that's about the farthest I looked.)

Also, I did a very quick check of the "belle nuit" chart, but I got home late and then got busy so I haven't had enough time to do something like a pixel shift comparison yet to test if it's doing 4:4:4 properly. It still looked pretty good from what I could tell, though.

edit: Okay, after a little more time with it, I'm noticing the lag again. But, at this point, I'm not really caring as much because it was cheap for a fairly good-looking 42", I'm probably not going to find a heck of a lot else that works, I've already lost my patience with the searching and shopping for a TV, and I'm not going to be using this long enough for it to be a huge deal for me. It's going to be passed off to a family member when I take off in about six months, so I can make it work until then.
post #193 of 2833 Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM

IPS has the by far the strongest viewing angles of the three LCD technologies. The stuff you are seeing in the corners sounds like "ips glow". I've vaguely heard of expensive monitors being able to prevent that with A-TW polarizers(?)
post #194 of 2833 Old 06-17-2011, 07:04 PM

Hey everyone,

So I am going to drop the money on the 37LK450 with the Y panel. Found a place here that has 3 of the "Y" panels and 2 "D" panels. Going to pick my
"Y" up tomorrow morning and will start calibrating/testing tomorrow.

If anyone has a 37LD450(or a 32/42) and would like to compare it to mine in the Austin, TX area, let me know. I would be more than willing drive to see how this panel performs.

Thanks everyone and I will post back,

Hippo
post #195 of 2833 Old 06-18-2011, 04:07 AM

Purchased it from amazon at a respectable $560 next day shipping included. Wanted to confirm that it is indeed an S-ips panel. Physical confirmation, and the "Y" in the correct position.
post #196 of 2833 Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 AM

So I burned the AVSHD 709 ISO to DVD (in avchd).

What a great disc. Fabulous resource.

And a great gift to this community.

I watched it on my cheap, tiny 23" second computer monitor (an LG no less, HDMI, 1080p) hooked up to my Sony BDP-S570 blueray.
Even on that I got a great preview of the quality of the test patterns, etc.

I'm starting to get really juiced to setup and calibrate my LG 55LK520. Still Monday delivery.

I’ve been thinking how much some things have changed.

In one of my past lives, I worked for a highend audio/hometheater shop (mid to late 90's) and the displays we dealt with were rear projectors and obscenely expensive front projectors.
The front projectors required an endless and painful calibration to get them working correctly. The convergence alone took forever.
No HD then, only interlaced laserdisc and the early days of DVD, eek!

And now we just pop in the disc and a short time later, we have glorious HD images on our screens.

Another thing that’s been driven home to me recently as far as picture quality goes is my first real look at D-Cinema.
I have been fortunate enough to be working with a film studies program at a university here in Boston that just installed
a 2K D-Cinema projector in their screening room. Holy cow chips, Batman! Unbelievable. Sure I’ve seen movies at the local cineplex on D-Cinema, but not like this.

Sorry for getting carried away.
post #197 of 2833 Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabyte000 View Post

So I burned the AVSHD 709 ISO to DVD (in avchd).

What a great disc. Fabulous resource.

Sorry for getting carried away.

Carry away all you want. That's the beauty of a good thread. Sometimes we learn more than we asked for but it's all good. Even a minor deviation from time to time from the main topic is nice.

One little trick I learned with the AVS disk is this.....when you go to use the B1 pattern for color and tint (primary and secondary colors) it flashes and will drive you crazy. And if you're like me, I can't tell magenta from cyan in a flashing pattern. So what I did was make a color print out of the B1 pattern and labeled which bars were which colors. Then, when the pattern appears, pause the picture, go back and pick you color filter, and adjust, looking at the print out you made so you know which bar is "magenta" so you're adjusting the right one. The first time I tried to calibrate I got a headache and thought I was going to have an epileptic fit with all of the flashing colors! I think it was djams who posted a little "how to use the B1 pattern" over in our "home group". If he reads this maybe he'll be kind enough to post it. If not, I don't think he'll mind if I do.

The first thing you're going to want to do is reset an Expert mode and adjust contrast, brightness, sharpness, and main color using the basic settings and make sure that the grayscale is as close to accurate as possible before adjusting color. If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest downloading the manual as well (mine is dated November 30, 2010).

Happy calibrating and let us know how it goes.
post #198 of 2833 Old 06-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Here is a link to the post that Otto mentions above. To be honest with you, I never got any feedback on this process, so I don't even know if it works in all cases or not - it works on my TV, but as I mention in the post, when I calibrate color gamut with my meter, my set requires almost no CMS adjustment.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20246953
post #199 of 2833 Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

Here is a link to the post that Otto mentions above. To be honest with you, I never got any feedback on this process, so I don't even know if it works in all cases or not - it works on my TV, but as I mention in the post, when I calibrate color gamut with my meter, my set requires almost no CMS adjustment.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20246953

FWIW, it worked just fine for me. Thank you djams
post #200 of 2833 Old 06-18-2011, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased the LG 47LK520 from Amazon.com for about 700.00 dollars a couple of weeks ago.

This is the 47" of course.

I can confirm, the "Y" is the S-IPS panel. I was reading thru and people wanted confirmation on this size.

This is an AMAZING TV, and have already calibrated it using Disneys WoW "World of Wonder" calibration blue ray disk. It simply is amazing with the darks and whites, and color is near perfect.

I am, however, trying to figure out what "edge enhancer" does really. i cant seem to see a difference. Does anyone know what it does exactly, and would it hurt or hinder to have it on? Is Edge Enhancer a better option to use over Shaprness? Having Edge Enhancer on didn't really introduce any artifacts during calibration. Does EE only affect non 24fps content, for example?
post #201 of 2833 Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Carry away all you want. That's the beauty of a good thread. Sometimes we learn more than we asked for but it's all good. Even a minor deviation from time to time from the main topic is nice.

One little trick I learned with the AVS disk is this.....when you go to use the B1 pattern for color and tint (primary and secondary colors) it flashes and will drive you crazy. And if you're like me, I can't tell magenta from cyan in a flashing pattern. So what I did was make a color print out of the B1 pattern and labeled which bars were which colors. Then, when the pattern appears, pause the picture, go back and pick you color filter, and adjust, looking at the print out you made so you know which bar is "magenta" so you're adjusting the right one. The first time I tried to calibrate I got a headache and thought I was going to have an epileptic fit with all of the flashing colors! I think it was djams who posted a little "how to use the B1 pattern" over in our "home group". If he reads this maybe he'll be kind enough to post it. If not, I don't think he'll mind if I do.

The first thing you're going to want to do is reset an Expert mode and adjust contrast, brightness, sharpness, and main color using the basic settings and make sure that the grayscale is as close to accurate as possible before adjusting color. If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest downloading the manual as well (mine is dated November 30, 2010).

Happy calibrating and let us know how it goes.

Thanks Otto for the advice with the disk and thanks djams for the link.

I just saved the whole page as a PDF so I'll take a look at it later.
post #202 of 2833 Old 06-18-2011, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeron2 View Post

I purchased the LG 47LK520 from Amazon.com for about 700.00 dollars a couple of weeks ago.

This is the 47" of course.

I can confirm, the "Y" is the S-IPS panel. I was reading thru and people wanted confirmation on this size.

This is an AMAZING TV, and have already calibrated it using Disneys WoW "World of Wonder" calibration blue ray disk. It simply is amazing with the darks and whites, and color is near perfect.

I am, however, trying to figure out what "edge enhancer" does really. i cant seem to see a difference. Does anyone know what it does exactly, and would it hurt or hinder to have it on? Is Edge Enhancer a better option to use over Shaprness? Having Edge Enhancer on didn't really introduce any artifacts during calibration. Does EE only affect non 24fps content, for example?

I have the 47LD520 (last year's model) and keep all of the enhancements off. If your tv is properly calibrated I don't think you need any of the enhancements. Too much artificial processing in my opinion. I've never used the Disney WoW disk to calibrate. Most of the folks here use the AVS HD709 disk to calibrate.
post #203 of 2833 Old 06-19-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1983 View Post

Hi, i just got an 47LK520 here in canada... Best Buy One day special deal was 689$ (is it a great deal ?) CAN. Upgraded from a sammy LN32A450. Everything look fine but i can see barrely small backlight ghosting (seem to be common on all lcd tv) My panel is S-IPS.

I just need to calibrate it. I think it should do the trick to remove small backlight ghosting. Normal mode is too Bright ! Anyone know if i can achieve something good using the LG calibation wizard ?

I'd love to hear from some on with the 47LK520 about the wide viewing angle quality and the reflectiveness of the screen. My room will be pretty brightly lit, and so I'm looking for a screen that controls reflections. And my seating is all around the room, so looking for good viewing from wide angles. Thanks.
post #204 of 2833 Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I have the 47LD520 (last year's model) and keep all of the enhancements off. If your tv is properly calibrated I don't think you need any of the enhancements. Too much artificial processing in my opinion. I've never used the Disney WoW disk to calibrate. Most of the folks here use the AVS HD709 disk to calibrate.

Yeah, i hear you. I have them all off. In fact, when you use the "expert 2" for calibration, it automatically turns everything off anyway, except edge enhancer, which i can turn off as well of course.

I just don't see a difference either way so far, but perhaps i'm looking for the wrong thing to notice it anyway. Any other can explain what this does exactly?
post #205 of 2833 Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any other can explain what this does exactly?

I think a description of what it does exactly would be very long and extremely boring

Here is a link that describes what it does in general. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_enhancement

Bottom line is that the TV is changing (supposedly "enhancing") the picture, which I don't like. My feeling is that if you have a good HD signal, there is no need for edge enhancement. As far as side effects, the main thing I noticed is that it makes hair look funny sometimes. I also noticed halos/ringing occasionally.
post #206 of 2833 Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo08 View Post

If anyone has a 37LD450(or a 32/42) and would like to compare it to mine in the Austin, TX area, let me know. I would be more than willing drive to see how this panel performs.

You might try reaching out to kannedo via PM. If I recall correctly, he is in Austin. He seems very competent and seems to enjoy the technical aspects of TV ownership.
post #207 of 2833 Old 06-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FWIW, it worked just fine for me. Thank you djams

Thanks for the feedback Otto. You're welcome!
post #208 of 2833 Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:

I think a description of what it does exactly would be very long and extremely boring

Here is a link that describes what it does in general.

Bottom line is that the TV is changing (supposedly "enhancing") the picture, which I don't like. My feeling is that if you have a good HD signal, there is no need for edge enhancement. As far as side effects, the main thing I noticed is that it makes hair look funny sometimes. I also noticed halos/ringing occasionally.

Thank you very much!

Its funny how they try to add all these artificial enhancements (which in turn introduces problems anyway, so logically why would they want that), when in reality, if they just leave it alone, it would look the best. It would save them an us even more money on these products.
post #209 of 2833 Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you very much!

Its funny how they try to add all these artificial enhancements (which in turn introduces problems anyway, so logically why would they want that), when in reality, if they just leave it alone, it would look the best. It would save them an us even more money on these products.

You're welcome.

In their defense, it might be that digital noise reduction + edge enhancement could improve the picture generated from an SD signal. Dunno - pure conjecture on my part.
post #210 of 2833 Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're welcome.

In their defense, it might be that digital noise reduction + edge enhancement could improve the picture generated from an SD signal. Dunno - pure conjecture on my part.

That sounds reasonable. Not everyone watches HD all of the time (or can watch HD) so it could be as you say. Early on I played with all of those goodies, took notes, and would watch my set for a week or so. And then when I disabled them, to me, my set looked better with them off. I don't like to fiddle with setting when I watch tv or a movie. Just turn it on and watch. Some purists may disagree with that but I feel I've found the optimal "universal" settings for my set and that includes having the enhancements disabled.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page