Official LG xxLK520 xxLK450 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2833 Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to start a new thread for the 2011 LG LK Series. I almost bought a 42LK520 today but I am concerned since it is so new and there is zero information/reviews out.

I'm also interested to see if there will be a panel lottery for these sets too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2833 Old 04-11-2011, 01:09 PM

I was exchanging an Insignia at Best Buy and picked up the 42" model of this TV (42LK520). I'm kinda bummed out about how the picture looks, although I'm sure it just needs to be calibrated properly. I've been searching high and low for settings online and can't find anything. I'm assuming because it is new. Anyone know of anywhere else besides tweak tv and the cnet forums where I can find more info? There doesnt seem to be any on here either unfortunately....The picture on the Insignia looked a bit better than this LG so I'd like to try it at its fullest potential before I make a choice to exchange again or something....

Any help would be great! Thanks..
post #3 of 2833 Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM

After reading the first post, I researched the whole Panel Lottery thing on here. I had never even heard of this. After some checking, I'm happy to report that my 42LK520 is indeed an IPS Panel. I picked my unit up at a local best buy.

Soooo, not sure if there is a panel lottery on this set or not, but I guess I got lucky. Still struggling with the picture settings though, hopefully someone will figure something out soon...
post #4 of 2833 Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 AM

My LK520 is set to arrive today, I'd like to give another input on the panel lottery, just learned of this today after hearing it from you Chris. How did you find out what panel you had? Ill check mine and post a reply.
post #5 of 2833 Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM

If you type in "LG Panel Lottery" in the search above, you'll get a wealth of info.

I just took a flashlight and looked through the grates on the back of the TV on the bottom. There should be a LG label that has some information on it. Look for a "W" in the top line, above the (SC) (A1).

You can also take a magnifying glass to the front of the screen and look for the chevron shape (>>>) rather than the rectangles. Good luck!

Lemme know if you come across any good picture settings...
post #6 of 2833 Old 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Chris. Could you post the SKU# on your box? I'm wondering if the W or Y SKU tip works for the 2011 models.

I look forward to hearing from both of you guys about your sets picture quality. I'm not sure if I'm sold yet!
post #7 of 2833 Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 AM

I got a cusYho model, looked at my local best buy and the 2 boxes they had on the shelf was also Y models, also asked the guy at walmart where I purchased mines from to check for any other than Y, and he said they all had Y.

My LD450 that I exchanged out was a W and picture wise it looks identical to this one, however i'd say theres atleast 5ms more lag on my LK than my LD
post #8 of 2833 Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM

I can post my SKU later, I'm at work now. However, I do know that it has a Y in it...
post #9 of 2833 Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM

oh yea, btw I checked the stickers on the inside / back of my panel and this is what I see

LC420WUE (SC) (A2)
post #10 of 2833 Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

How do you guys like your tv? I need some feedback.
post #11 of 2833 Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 AM

I like it just fine. I never really used a tv as a main monitor except for the few situations where I had to hook my pc up to my plasma to watch a movie. But text is nice and readable once you mess around with sharpness. Other than that it looks like a lcd monitor. I love playing CoD on it.
post #12 of 2833 Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Store still had last years 32LD450 model, but passed because it is only 720P and wanted the new 2011 32LK450, which is 1080P and less then $400.

Have already notice an issue and hope I don't have to bring it back.

When I connect my PC via HDMI/DVI, although both video card/monitor set for 1920x1080, images/text is not nearly as sharp as I get with my Samsung 1080P TV.

However, when I connect via VGA, there is a 1/2" vertical black bar, on the left, between the displayed video and left bezel. The displayed video images actually shift to the right, such that some of the content is hidden behind the right bezel. Very annoying as this prohibits me from closing and/or minimizing a program by clicking in the upper right hand corner (e.g. hidden by the right side bezel).

Other then suggesting monitor be set to 1360 x 768 resolution (bar gone but produced terrible fuzzy images) LG support could not resolve.

As a TV, picture quality very good, but not as good as several Samsung TVs I have.

Decided to return it today and bought another Samsung.
post #13 of 2833 Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 AM

I like my set so far as well. I haven't had any problems like the one mentioned above, so I'm sorry to hear that. The picture on this set is good, but I almost feel like the picture on the Insignia set I returned was a little better. I'm no expert, and maybe it's just in my head. I dunno. I've been thinking about returning it, but I probably wont.

Standard definition stuff looks kinda crappy, but thats to be expected. Blu-ray stuff looks awesome. Like I said before, I'm waiting for some kinda picture settings to show up somewhere online. I've checked here, tweak tv and the cnet forums to no avail. Do you guys know of anywhere else that may have some? I like this TV, but I wanna love it..

I havent had a chance to look at my serial # yet, sorry...
post #14 of 2833 Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM

I tried four B&M retailers for a LG 32LK450 IPS panel before giving up. They were either out of stock or had the "D" product code (VA panel).

Ordered one from Amazon and really hope the panel lottery turns out in my favor! If it's an IPS panel I'll do some input lag tests versus my Samsung PX2370. Not the best test but better than nothing.
post #15 of 2833 Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post

I tried four B&M retailers for a LG 32LK450 IPS panel before giving up. They were either out of stock or had the "D" product code (VA panel).

Ordered one from Amazon and really hope the panel lottery turns out in my favor! If it's an IPS panel I'll do some input lag tests versus my Samsung PX2370. Not the best test but better than nothing.

Failed!

I posted my impressions of the VA panel on the official xxld450 thread. I played with it for about 1.5 hrs and then boxed it up because I want to return it in as new condition as possible.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20342411
post #16 of 2833 Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM

Can anybody who has a the LK series set check if it buzzies with the backlight reduced below 100.
post #17 of 2833 Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 AM

I hear a slight buzz, but only if I put my ear up to the back vent holes. I'd guess that's normal since I can't hear it at all if I'm a few inches away.
post #18 of 2833 Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM

Hello All "LK" Owners,

Checked in today to see if there was ever a thread created for the "LK" series, and found this thread.

I currently have a 42LD520 and a 47LK520(have had 2 of the 47LK displays.. one replaced). I DID have a 42LD550, and ended up returning the 42LD550 for the 47LK520.

To sum it up quickly. If you all are looking for a good thread for settings, I HIGHLY recommend following the "LD" thread. The "LK" as far as what I've searched, experienced, seen, and been told... is simply a re-introduced "LD" with the "D" changed to "K". Only thing I noticed physically, is the thin (very thin) red line around the trim of the 47". And it may have existed on the 47" LD series.(Don't know, never had one)

Here is a LINK TO THE "xxLDxx" THREAD.

There is a great poster/owner in the thread who has put a LOT of time into calibrating his 550 and he has gone to great lengths to post his findings, and full settings. His user name is "Phase700B".(First poster in the thread) He has posted MANY different settings (full "EXPERT" settings)...(per device, connection, etc..) in different posts in the thread. There are also other owners posting good settings in the thread. Doing some searches will find them. And if you have trouble understanding how to input his/their settings, there's at least one post in the thread explaining how to do it. (Menus are identical on the LD and LK series)

Hope this info. helps some of you.

EDIT: BTW, the slight buzz has existed on every one of mine. Mostly on bright or mostly white screens.
post #19 of 2833 Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 PM

The LK530 seems pretty promising as well. Same tv as the 520 but it has the smart TV feature. I really hope we get some professional reviews for these sets TV. If these come with IPS panels and low gaming lag then this may the way to go for me.
post #20 of 2833 Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I'm glad to see that someone has started this thread. I've had the 47LD520 since January so I'm anxious to see how the new models compare. I am extremely happy with my set. Just a couple of things to throw out here.

The "W" in the product code may or may not still hold true for the S-IPS panels. The only for sure method is the "loupe" test (magnifying lens) and the pixel pattern must be the chevron-shaped pattern (<<<<<). If not, it may still be an IPS panel but not S-IPS (probably e-IPS or H-IPS). Calling LG will get you nowhere because they won't be able to tell you anything.

If the LK series is like the LD series there will be a rather extensive menu for calibrating. Do it yourself to professional. Most of us in the LD group use the AVS HD709 disc and instruction docs that are available free here on AVS. What we learned while calibrating is that the best way is to do it yourself. There are differences between sets even within the same model line and one person's calibrations may not work well for your particular set or viewing environment.

As Alacard stated above, come on over to the LD group with your questions or just post them here and we'll do what we can to get you started. The LD series is a really nice series and I expect the LK will be the same.
post #21 of 2833 Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM

just bought a lg 42 lk tv help did i make the right desions
post #22 of 2833 Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnpapa View Post

just bought a lg 42 lk tv help did i make the right desions

Get a magnifying glass and check the pixel pattern (loupe test) and see if the pixels are chevron-shaped (<<<<<<). If they are, you have an S-IPS panel which means you're off to a good start Read the manual and then come back with your questions and we'll do what we can to help you get the most out of your set. I haven't seen the specs on the 42LK520s but if they're like last year's LD520 series, there is a wealth of info in the LDxx450/LDxx520/LDxx650 thread.
post #23 of 2833 Old 05-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Liked: 19
UPDATE: The below calibration settings are no longer valid because it was calibrated with my inaccurate old Spyder2. I've since purchased a new X-Rite Eye-One Display LT, which has shown much more accurate result so far. Stay tuned and I'll have a the new calibrated settings posted soon.

I've recalibrated another TV, LG 32LD450, using the 75% saturation method and got great results.

See here for djams' suggestion
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20447759

And here to see my result.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20453082

Purchased a 42LK450 a few days ago from Best Buy. It was the CUSY (S-IPS) model.

I just spent the last 4 hours calibrating this TV for near-perfect HDTV - REC 709 standard. I used a Spyder2 and Colorimetre HCFR software.

For those you who want to learn to do this yourself, this is the guide I used.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I've attached my Colorimetre HCFR file for your reference.
Near-Perfect LG 42LK450 calibration settings and profile.chc.zip

My goal was to achieve the following
=======================
Accurate luminance curve
Accurate Color Gamut
Gamma: 2.2
Color Temp: 6500K
White Level: 125 cd/m2
1:1 Pixel Mapping

Here's how close I got after calibrating
========================
Very good luminance curve
Very good color gamut
Gamma: 2.16
Color Temp: 6500 +/- 150 from IRE 20 and up
White Level: 125.61 cd/m2
1:1 Pixel Mapping with Just Scan

Of course, none of this means anything unless I share with you the settings I used to achieve this. Before I do so, let me just tell you, movies look amazing after calibration.

Make: LG
Model: 42LK450
Product Code: 42LK450-UB.CUSY-LH
Panel Type: S-IPS

Settings
=======

Input Label: Use anything other than PC
- NOTE: Using PC as the input label locks out the Color Management System menu under expert controls, which we need to correct the color gamut.
- NOTE2: You can definitely still connect a PC via HDMI to this TV. Just don't use the "PC" input label if you care for these settings.

Picture
-----------
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan (NOTE: Just Scan achieves 1:1 pixel mapping. If you need other aspect ratio, feel free to do so, but my H and V Sharpness settings are for 1:1 Pixel Mapping)
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: isf Expert 1 or 2
Backlight: 35
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 75
H Sharpness: 28 (NOTE: Only applicable if you use Just Scan aspect ratio)
V Sharpness: 53 (NOTE: Only applicable if you use Just Scan aspect ratio)
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Controls
------------------------
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off (60Hz)
Color Gamut: SMPTE
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Auto
Expert Pattern: Off
Color Filter: Off
Color Temperature: Warm
Gamma: 2.4 (NOTE: LG's default 2.2 is off with other settings. I'm using 2.4 to compensate for those other settings. Final result is a gamma of 2.16)
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
Red Contrast: 2
Green Contrast: -1
Blue Contrast: 6
Red Brightness: 0
Green Brightness: 0
Blue Brightness: 3

Color Management System
------------------------------------------
Red Color: -9
Red Tint: 0
Green Color: -10
Green Tint: 0
Blue Color: 0
Blue Tint: 0
Yellow Color: -10
Yellow Tint: 0
Cyan Color: 0
Cyan Tint: 2
Magenta Color: 0
Magenta Tint: -1

Near-Perfect LG 42LK450 calibration settings and profile.chc.zip 2.0791015625k . file
ctg183 likes this.
post #24 of 2833 Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedo View Post

Purchased a 42LK450 a few days ago from Best Buy. It was the CUSY (S-IPS) model.

I just spent the last 4 hours calibrating this TV for near-perfect HDTV - REC 709 standard. I used a Spyder2 and Colorimetre HCFR software.

For those you who want to learn to do this yourself, this is the guide I used.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I've attached my Colorimetre HCFR file for your reference.
Near-Perfect LG 42LK450 calibration settings and profile.chc.zip

My goal was to achieve the following
=======================
Accurate luminance curve
Accurate Color Gamut
Gamma: 2.2
Color Temp: 6500K
White Level: 125 cd/m2
1:1 Pixel Mapping

Here's how close I got after calibrating
========================
Very good luminance curve
Very good color gamut
Gamma: 2.16
Color Temp: 6500 +/- 150 from IRE 20 and up
White Level: 125.61 cd/m2
1:1 Pixel Mapping with Just Scan

Of course, none of this means anything unless I share with you the settings I used to achieve this. Before I do so, let me just tell you, movies look amazing after calibration.

Make: LG
Model: 42LK450
Product Code: 42LK450-UB.CUSY-LH
Panel Type: S-IPS

Settings
=======

Input Label: Use anything other than PC
- NOTE: Using PC as the input label locks out the Color Management System menu under expert controls, which we need to correct the color gamut.
- NOTE2: You can definitely still connect a PC via HDMI to this TV. Just don't use the "PC" input label if you care for these settings.

Picture
-----------
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan (NOTE: Just Scan achieves 1:1 pixel mapping. If you need other aspect ratio, feel free to do so, but my H and V Sharpness settings are for 1:1 Pixel Mapping)
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: isf Expert 1 or 2
Backlight: 35
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 75
H Sharpness: 28 (NOTE: Only applicable if you use Just Scan aspect ratio)
V Sharpness: 53 (NOTE: Only applicable if you use Just Scan aspect ratio)
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert Controls
------------------------
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off (60Hz)
Color Gamut: SMPTE
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Auto
Expert Pattern: Off
Color Filter: Off
Color Temperature: Warm
Gamma: 2.4 (NOTE: LG's default 2.2 is off with other settings. I'm using 2.4 to compensate for those other settings. Final result is a gamma of 2.16)
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
Red Contrast: 2
Green Contrast: -1
Blue Contrast: 6
Red Brightness: 0
Green Brightness: 0
Blue Brightness: 3

Color Management System
------------------------------------------
Red Color: -9
Red Tint: 0
Green Color: -10
Green Tint: 0
Blue Color: 0
Blue Tint: 0
Yellow Color: -10
Yellow Tint: 0
Cyan Color: 0
Cyan Tint: 2
Magenta Color: 0
Magenta Tint: -1

Interesting. It appears that LG has changed their product coding for the S-IPS panels because I noticed that there isn't a "W" in your product code. I'm assuming you verified the panel type with a magnifying lens. I'm surprised that your Contrast is so low but it appears that you calibrated with a different set of protocols that I used so that probably accounts for the differences. It's amazing how little the CMS changes right out of the box. It just shows how good these sets are. Good job.
post #25 of 2833 Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

@kanedo

I've reviewed your calibration file and I've got some feedback / pointers for you. I own a 47LD520 and calibrate it with an i1display2 meter.

You should set brightness and contrast using the basic patterns on the AVS-HD disc. Brightness is too high and contrast is too low. This is causing you to get a contrast ratio of only 312:1 (see the grayscale measures tab). You should be seeing around ~800:1. It's also probably causing you to have to set 2.4 gamma on the TV to end up near 2.2 measured gamma. AVS-HD patterns are rec709, and you have HCFR set to rec709, so you should set the TV's color gamut to BT-709 instead of SMPTE. This could explain the high red and green deltaE's in the primaries and secondaries measurement tab. Finally, if you switch the TV to 10-point IRE, you will be able to set RGB balance at each IRE level. This really allows you to get the luminance and gamma curves flattened out (and color temp).

The settings available on these TV's are robust enough to get you from "near perfect" to perfect

Edit: Here is a post by Knd that describes how to use the 10-point IRE adjustments on these TV's. I was lost until I came across this. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18831217.

I've attached my .chc file for your reference. This is actually my night calibration - brain misfired when naming the file...

05-08-2011 DAYTIME CAL TUNEUP.zip 1.0810546875k . file
post #26 of 2833 Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=djams;20426777

I've attached my .chc file for your reference. This is actually my night calibration - brain misfired when naming the file...[/QUOTE]

djams, is this the same file that you posted sometime ago in our "home" group? I can't seem to be able to open this one (probably operator error). I've been using your daytime one with a few tweaks. My daytime room lighting is probably not as bright as yours so it looks fine day or night, especially with the ambient back light.
post #27 of 2833 Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Otto - this is the calibration software file. To open it you need to install the (free) Colorimeter HCFR software. This software creates the charts and graphs I've posted in the "home thread".

Edit - I've suspected that a bias light would reduce eye strain in a darker environment, unfortunately this doesn't work in my entertainment center.
post #28 of 2833 Old 05-12-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams View Post

Hey Otto - this is the calibration software file. To open it you need to install the (free) Colorimeter HCFR software. This software creates the charts and graphs I've posted in the "home thread".

Edit - I've suspected that a bias light would reduce eye strain in a darker environment, unfortunately this doesn't work in my entertainment center.

Gotcha. Did you ever post your evening cal in the home group? I am quite pleased with the calibration because it's nice to have just one that seems to work well for all of the inputs and lighting conditions. Yes, the ambient light works wonders. Too bad you can't incorporate that into your entertainment center I still have plans for the "horsey test" and will post when I do.
post #29 of 2833 Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Interesting. It appears that LG has changed their product coding for the S-IPS panels because I noticed that there isn't a "W" in your product code. I'm assuming you verified the panel type with a magnifying lens. I'm surprised that your Contrast is so low but it appears that you calibrated with a different set of protocols that I used so that probably accounts for the differences. It's amazing how little the CMS changes right out of the box. It just shows how good these sets are. Good job.

Otto, this is indeed an IPS panel. On the back of the TV, you can see through the cracks and see LC-420WUE labeled on the panel.

Apparently, LG has changed their product coding for the LK series.
post #30 of 2833 Old 05-12-2011, 12:56 PM

@djams,

Wow, your profile looked great. I didn't know you can adjust each IRE level individually. I'll definitely give that a shot tonight.

By the way, is your i1 Display 2 consistent? My spyder2 is showing its age and I can't get it to produce a consistent reading every single time. Perhaps that could explain why my curves aren't as close as yours.

Also, could you briefly describe your calibration process? I'm really new at this and could use some pointers as to the tools and strategies for this.

Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47lk520 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 55lk520 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 42lk450 42 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Lg 32lk450 32 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Va Panel Hdtv , Lg 37lk450 37 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page