AVS Forum banner
126K views 373 replies 110 participants last post by  SteveHas 
#1 ·
I have been patiently waiting for the 65 inch samsung D8000 to come out, but it looks like mid to late summer. I am watching a 37 inch olevia that is 6 years old, is 720p and has a contrast ratio of 1500:1. I think at the price for this new vizio, it might just be a good stop gap until the big sammy comes out. Can move it to my bed room when I get the bigger set, and I'm thinking of outright retiring the olevia (it was actually a pretty good set for the time and has never failed me)

#304 ·
This is a perfect argument against web based firmware updates. Some seem to think it's the 'cats meow', but it surely isn't.

Give me the ability to do it myself when I have control of the process. Also give the ability to flash back to a previous version.

#305 ·
I'm still stuck on 2.13 firmware version, but I have a different problem I'd like to address -

I am playing 3D games, specifically Dirt 3, which has 3D support built in. It was playing very poorly at 1080 so I turned the resolution down to 720. But it literally turned the screen size down to 720. Now I have black bars all around the image, cutting off ~1 - 2 inches of my total display size. Changing picture mode or setting horizontal and vertical screen size is not available in the TV menu, all of these things are greyed out when I am in 3D mode. Game mode is still greyed out as it has always been when I put it in 3D, but is there any way to get the 720p image to take up the full screen size?

#306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop Cooper  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/270#post_22800008

Just ordered this TV for my bedroom. I went with the 42" version. I will mainly be gaming (non-3D 98% of the time) and watching TV/Movies (Some movies in 3D). It will be in tomorrow and I am very excited about it. Can't beat the price for all the features and the reviews have been mostly positive. Anybody else here game on this TV (360, PS3, Wii U) and have no problems? I have read some people say there is input lag but others have said it's 100% fine after you turn on Game Mode. I am guessing most the people complaining haven't turned on game mode or tweaked the settings enough to get it going like it should be? Any new owners feel like sharing their experiences? Thanks!

PS3 on it all the time in game mode. It's awesome! Even some 3D games

#307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_22816791

This is a perfect argument against web based firmware updates. Some seem to think it's the 'cats meow', but it surely isn't.

Give me the ability to do it myself when I have control of the process. Also give the ability to flash back to a previous version.

I had mine off, literally unplugged for about two days, then I plugged it in and turned it on and Viola firmware update. I immediately looked up the version on line and found nothing about it so I figured it was new, hence my taking the photo and posting this.

#308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermg  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_22875191

I had mine off, literally unplugged for about two days, then I plugged it in and turned it on and Viola firmware update. I immediately looked up the version on line and found nothing about it so I figured it was new, hence my taking the photo and posting this.

which version did it update to?

#309 ·
Petermg said his firmware was upgraded to version 2.20.0.1113. I'm still at version 2.17.0.1100, and Vizio tech support says the updates are rolled out according to the set's serial number.

#312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwschoon  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_22944401

Is there any way to force an update? Mine is on 2.13.4.0935 and my Netflix app locks and I experience freezes that require me to unplug the power.

I have tried several things, including leaving the unit unplugged for a few nights and resetting it to factory defaults. But I was not able to force an update.

#313 ·
the same goes for me... i contacted vizio and they said it was because it was wirelessly connected. so i went to buy a 50ft ethernet cable to be able to connect it via my router and guess what? NOTHING! they wont even bother sending you an update or even give you a link to download it yourself to a usb to update it

this sucks..

#314 ·
Has anyone actually determined what the update does?

#316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_22952996

I'm not sure, but I think it adds basic DLNA capability to the set.

I was just curious as it seemed some folks were getting really upset over an unknown improvement.

#318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Cab  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_22947315

the same goes for me... i contacted vizio and they said it was because it was wirelessly connected. so i went to buy a 50ft ethernet cable to be able to connect it via my router and guess what? NOTHING! they wont even bother sending you an update or even give you a link to download it yourself to a usb to update it

this sucks..

I've only ever had mine connected via WIRELESS...

#319 ·
This is kind of digging up an old thread, but NewEgg currently has a 47" refurb of this TV for $480. I know this is almost a 2 year old TV at this point, and especially as a refurb, is that even a decent deal? I'm looking to replace a 7 year old 42" Samsung 720P DLP as my primary TV, and am not looking to spend a ton. I don't really need to 3D or SmartTv features. My only requirements are (true) 1080P, 120Hz refresh, and a matte screen (and preferably 47-55").

#320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_23071701

This is kind of digging up an old thread, but NewEgg currently has a 47" refurb of this TV for $480. I know this is almost a 2 year old TV at this point, and especially as a refurb, is that even a decent deal? I'm looking to replace a 7 year old 42" Samsung 720P DLP as my primary TV, and am not looking to spend a ton. I don't really need to 3D or SmartTv features. My only requirements are (true) 1080P, 120Hz refresh, and a matte screen (and preferably 47-55").

Bj's has new E420i-A1's for the same price. Some Target's have E422VLE and E420i-A0 on sale around that price as well. Don't know for sure if they're matte, but their 120hz.

#322 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before but I don't have the time to search all replies in this thread.

I have a question about the rear 3.5 mm audio out jack.

If you plug something into the jack, do the speakers continue to work, or do they turn off?

Also, is there any adjustment for this jack in the audio setup?

Thanks, I can't find this info anywhere.

#323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_23187636

Sorry if this has been asked before but I don't have the time to search all replies in this thread.

I have a question about the rear 3.5 mm audio out jack.

If you plug something into the jack, do the speakers continue to work, or do they turn off?

Also, is there any adjustment for this jack in the audio setup?

Thanks, I can't find this info anywhere.

Don't mean to sound like an a**, but wouldn't it have been just as easy to plug in some headphones or something in the jack and find out?

#325 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_23192787

Don't mean to sound like an a**, but wouldn't it have been just as easy to plug in some headphones or something in the jack and find out?

DEFINITELY!

But I don't own the TV. I don't know anyone who owns the TV locally and I went to 3 Walmarts and 2 Targets and cannot even find the TV on display.

So I thought it might be easier to just ask someone here who actually has this TV.

#327 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfromCT  /t/1328644/vizio-e3d420vx/300#post_23195125

DEFINITELY!

But I don't own the TV. I don't know anyone who owns the TV locally and I went to 3 Walmarts and 2 Targets and cannot even find the TV on display.

So I thought it might be easier to just ask someone here who actually has this TV.

Ah! Gotcha! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.