Vizio E3D420VX - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 374 Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
question for any of the owners of this TV, what buttons are across the top of the remote? there's a button for netflix, vudu, and...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 374 Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 AM

rjcc - The remote has the following buttons on the top (from left to right) Amazon, Netflix and Vudu.
post #33 of 374 Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfriday View Post

rjcc - The remote has the following buttons on the top (from left to right) Amazon, Netflix and Vudu.

thanks! for whatever I couldn't find a pic of the remote on the internet and the original one vizio sent us a while ago didn't have any labels on it
post #34 of 374 Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 AM

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this same, minor issue -- with some tv channels (mostly on some SD channels but occasionally on an HD channel) I see a either fuzzy or checked thin strip across the very top of the picture. I am wondering if this is a tv issue or a cable picture issue (I have Comcast). I was thinking it's a cable issue since it's not on all channels, but still thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed this?
post #35 of 374 Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Check your vertical position setting? I was messing with mine and when I moved the picture down too far a thin green line appeared across the top.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #36 of 374 Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have a request. Can ya'll take a look at the 2 minute preview of Drive Angry on Vudu and tell me if you get a disorientating white flash during the quick edits between scenes? This is my first foray into 3D and am wondering what causes that. It looks like only one eye is seeing the edit flash.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #37 of 374 Old 06-02-2011, 07:27 AM

Will give it a shot tonight ngwest36 and report back.
post #38 of 374 Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJordan23 View Post
Will give it a shot tonight ngwest36 and report back.
Thanks - curious if it's unique to passives or just this TV?

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #39 of 374 Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Finally tried cyberlink's powerdvd 10 Ultra. It does 2d-3D conversion. I had an earlier OEM version so was able to upgrade for $75. I was only disappointed that it can't upconvert blu-ray 2d, only DVD 2D. As for the actual conversion, it does work and adds depth which you can adjust via a slider. Nothing really pops out at you but as I said it does add depth. One other advantage, to me it seems the 2d conversion combined with passive interlacing increases the contrast and sharpness of standard def pictures. My opinion only and it could be a perception issue, but there it is.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #40 of 374 Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 AM

After waiting for awhile I finally determined that Walmart's price on the Vizio E3D420VX was going to stay the least expensive, so I sprung for it. So far I agree with the good comments except that I haven't seen a mention about the differences in the volume between stations, especially when going from an HD channel to a non-HD channel. On HD channels I have to double the volume to hear it and when I change back to a Non-HD channel it blasts me out of the room. I've tried all audio settings and nothing seems to help. I am currently on SRS Studio Sound HD Standard with SRS TruVolume On. On page 41 of the owner's manual at the bottom of the page it pretty much says that there is nothing that can be done about this other than to adjust the volume control up or down. This is a huge disappointment for such a nice tv and could turn me off to future Vizio products. I'm assuming that I'm not the only person having this problem.
post #41 of 374 Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 AM

I have the 32-inch version. Turning off both surround sound and truvolume helps reduce the varience somewhat. But it's not the TV's fault, HD channels are just transmitted with a lower sound level than SD channels.
post #42 of 374 Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

ngwest, sorry about the delay-- I checked it out, and here's what I've got.

No flashing that I can discern on the 2 minute preview. Actually, the 3D looks really good.

Here's the weird part though... I also watched the trailer which was odd. It had a "rippling" effect that was more noticeable during fast action. My guess is that this is a VUDU issue, and that the left and right channels are slightly out of synch.

Anyhow, hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

I have a request. Can ya'll take a look at the 2 minute preview of Drive Angry on Vudu and tell me if you get a disorientating white flash during the quick edits between scenes? This is my first foray into 3D and am wondering what causes that. It looks like only one eye is seeing the edit flash.

post #43 of 374 Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJordan23 View Post

ngwest, sorry about the delay-- I checked it out, and here's what I've got.

No flashing that I can discern on the 2 minute preview. Actually, the 3D looks really good.

Here's the weird part though... I also watched the trailer which was odd. It had a "rippling" effect that was more noticeable during fast action. My guess is that this is a VUDU issue, and that the left and right channels are slightly out of synch.

Anyhow, hope that helps!

Hey, thanks for checking. Maybe we saw the same thing - like the left and right eye were milliseconds apart?

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #44 of 374 Old 06-17-2011, 06:25 PM

Hello I have been eyeing the Vizio E3D420VX for a while now. Can anybody comment on the picture quality on this set? I will be using it for mostly gaming and blu rays. I'm trying to decide between this and the panasonic st30. If anybody can post opinions or some pictures that would be great, thanks kindly
post #45 of 374 Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm deciding on which size to get. I think 42 is too big for my space but I'm worried 32 is too small to enjoy 3D. Do you get the full effect as you would with a 42? I'll be using the set primarily for gaming and video streaming.
post #46 of 374 Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan23237 View Post

Hello I have been eyeing the Vizio E3D420VX for a while now. Can anybody comment on the picture quality on this set? I will be using it for mostly gaming and blu rays. I'm trying to decide between this and the panasonic st30. If anybody can post opinions or some pictures that would be great, thanks kindly

I'm perfectly happy with the 47 for gaming and blu-ray. As a PC monitor for websites and such, not so much. Compared to the ST30, by what I've read you don't get glasses ($159 each on A**zon), you have a wifi dongle (E3D is built in), doesn't have vudu or hulu plus (E3D does), limited color controls. Don't know if the ST30 has a glossy screen or not, the vizio is matte. Vizio remote isn't illuminated but has a qwerty keyboard on the back.

Vizio is passive 3D, so you do have that "540P to each eye" issue, but I rarely notice any degradation in 3D movies and of course it doesn't apply to 2D pictures. hope that helps

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #47 of 374 Old 06-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

I'm deciding on which size to get. I think 42 is too big for my space but I'm worried 32 is too small to enjoy 3D. Do you get the full effect as you would with a 42? I'll be using the set primarily for gaming and video streaming.

Get the biggest you can afford. How close is your space? I'm 4 1/2 feet away from a 47 scan lines are a minor annoyance when used as a monitor. A 42 would have been better but I got an unbelievable deal on the 47. And what I've read says 3D needs a large screen for the best effect.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #48 of 374 Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the help. I've just read and been told on forums and every other website that plasmas have better picture quality than LCD or LCD LED. This set just looks like a great set though. How is the passive 3d effect? Nice depth? Did you have the set calibrated and can you comment on picture quality vs other sets? Can you post a picture of your 47 playing content? Sorry for so many question I'm just really interested in these two sets and have to make a decision soon. Thanks I appreciate the help
post #49 of 374 Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help. I've just read and been told on forums and every other website that plasmas have better picture quality than LCD or LCD LED. This set just looks like a great set though. How is the passive 3d effect? Nice depth? Did you have the set calibrated and can you comment on picture quality vs other sets? Can you post a picture of your 47 playing content? Sorry for so many question I'm just really interested in these two sets and have to make a decision soon. Thanks I appreciate the help

The only other sets I've seen are the active 3D ones in best buy so that wouldn't be a good comparison. RE:A looked really good in 3D, so did the Uncharted 3 trailer on PSN.
I don't have it calibrated, using Cnet settings from the 2D version of this set.

Here's some 2D shots from RE:A. I've not taken screenshots before so most flaws are mine. The last closeup of Alice is the closest to the actual picture but still not quite as sharp as the "real" picture.
LL
LL
LL

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #50 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 AM

[quote=ngwest36;20587787]The only other sets I've seen are the active 3D ones in best buy so that wouldn't be a good comparison. RE:A looked really good in 3D, so did the Uncharted 3 trailer on PSN.
I don't have it calibrated, using Cnet settings from the 2D version of this set.

Here's some 2D shots from RE:A. I've not taken screenshots before so most flaws are mine. The last closeup of Alice is the closest to the actual picture but still not quite as sharp as the "real" picture.[/QUOTE

Wow! It looks fantastic! I really just can't decide between this and the Panasonic ST30. Have you had any experience with plasmas? Do you notice the degradation of picture during passive 3d content? How are the black levels on this set? I greatly appreciate your help again thanks
post #51 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow! It looks fantastic! I really just can't decide between this and the Panasonic ST30. Have you had any experience with plasmas? Do you notice the degradation of picture during passive 3d content? How are the black levels on this set? I greatly appreciate your help again thanks

I actually have a Vizio plasma as well. Plasmas have a more intense picture in my eye, only the new LED LCDs come close. You can see the polarizing film during 3D content. If you look closely at the silver part of the guard's shields can you can make out the slightly dark horizontal lines? Those are more pronounced in 3D This article
points out some of the differences between passive and active solutions used by panasonic and vizio. Bear in mind that he's comparing much larger sets so the polarizing effect is more pronounced (which he acknowledges). I think he also discounts the drawbacks of the active glasses; weight, expense, flickering, dimming picture, etc. I wear glasses and I can wear the vizio basic glasses right over my prescriptions. Huge plus - I'd be irritated if I had to put in my contacts to watch 3D.

Bottom line - if the active glasses and the price difference ($200 + $160 per pair of glasses!) don't bother you then get the panny. For me it was no consideration as I got the vizio for $600 with two pair of glasses. No active set is good enough to make up $800.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #52 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

This might not be a good comparison but here's a 3D version of the Alice picture from above. Remember this is through one eye only. People make a lot of hay about the "540" per eye, but, just as the 3D effect is created in the brain, so are the two 540P images merged as well. Actually, I wasn't sure that was true did I took this picture - it looks 1080P through both eyes. Any any case, you can see the polarizing effect - again it's not as bad or as noticeable with both eyes. Again, it's all a question of what you can live with to save $500.
LL

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #53 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:

I actually have a Vizio plasma as well. Plasmas have a more intense picture in my eye, only the new LED LCDs come close. You can see the polarizing film during 3D content. If you look closely at the silver part of the guard's shields can you can make out the slightly dark horizontal lines? Those are more pronounced in 3D This article
points out some of the differences between passive and active solutions used by panasonic and vizio. Bear in mind that he's comparing much larger sets so the polarizing effect is more pronounced (which he acknowledges). I think he also discounts the drawbacks of the active glasses; weight, expense, flickering, dimming picture, etc. I wear glasses and I can wear the vizio basic glasses right over my prescriptions. Huge plus - I'd be irritated if I had to put in my contacts to watch 3D.

Bottom line - if the active glasses and the price difference ($200 + $160 per pair of glasses!) don't bother you then get the panny. For me it was no consideration as I got the vizio for $600 with two pair of glasses. No active set is good enough to make up $800.

You state the plasma has a more intense picture? 3D aside would you consider plasma to have the better picture? I believe you said you had the 47 inch of this vizio 3d tv? If you don't mind where did you get it for $600? That would definitely tip the scales for me. Again thanks for your help, I appreciate it greatly
post #54 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You state the plasma has a more intense picture? 3D aside would you consider plasma to have the better picture? I believe you said you had the 47 inch of this vizio 3d tv? If you don't mind where did you get it for $600? That would definitely tip the scales for me. Again thanks for your help, I appreciate it greatly

$600 did indeed tip the scales. But it was a goof by my local w**mart, they marked it as a clearance item (!)

To my eye the edge-lit LED LCDs and the Plasmas are comparable to "pop." The vizio is a regular backlit LCD.

Just saw that the panny ST30 is on sale this week at BB - $899. That tilts the scales in its favor now - IF you don't mind paying $300 for a pair of their active glasses AND active 3D doesn't bother you as far as nausea, flickering, etc. As a 2D set, the panny is worth it as it is. I don't envy you're choice! Heck, if they'd thrown in the glasses, I would have probably paid more to get it (then again I REALLY hate the weight of those active glasses)

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #55 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:

$600 did indeed tip the scales. But it was a goof by my local w**mart, they marked it as a clearance item (!)

To my eye the edge-lit LED LCDs and the Plasmas are comparable to "pop." The vizio is a regular backlit LCD.

Just saw that the panny ST30 is on sale this week at BB - $899. That tilts the scales in its favor now - IF you don't mind paying $300 for a pair of their active glasses AND active 3D doesn't bother you as far as nausea, flickering, etc. As a 2D set, the panny is worth it as it is. I don't envy you're choice! Heck, if they'd thrown in the glasses, I would have probably paid more to get it (then again I REALLY hate the weight of those active glasses)

The ST30 is available on amazon with the avatar 3d movie as well as 2 3d glasses thrown in for free. I can get the 42 inch for about 850-900. What would you recommend, the ST30 or the Vizio especially at that price point?
post #56 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

heck, with free glasses and the movie at the same price as the vizio, go with the panny - again - as long as you don't have issues with active glasses. If you've worn them in BB and don't mind the weight, etc. Then go with the panny.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #57 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:

heck, with free glasses and the movie at the same price as the vizio, go with the panny - again - as long as you don't have issues with active glasses. If you've worn them in BB and don't mind the weight, etc. Then go with the panny.

How do you feel about active 3D? Ive only wore them in best buy for a couple minutes and they didnt seem too bad. I love the idea of passive 3D and the simplicity of the glasses, especially how light and comfortable they are. Im really at a crossroads here. Also I understand you say the plasma has more pop but which set would give me the best possible 2D picture quality as well? Thanks for your help
post #58 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How do you feel about active 3D? Ive only wore them in best buy for a couple minutes and they didnt seem too bad. I love the idea of passive 3D and the simplicity of the glasses, especially how light and comfortable they are. Im really at a crossroads here. Also I understand you say the plasma has more pop but which set would give me the best possible 2D picture quality as well? Thanks for your help

My take on the active is I can't wear them comfortably over prescription glasses and they dim the picture too much. In my admittedly short trials at BB I did not notice ghosting or flickering that other people have but a lot of reviews mention it. Passive does not have the ghosting or flickering problem period. Passive does have a rather narrow viewing angle though; some reports that the 3D effect degrades above or below 15 degrees from dead center. But unless your TV is over your fireplace I don't thinks that's an issue.

Personally, I prefer passive for all the reasons I mentioned. Plasma edges out LCD without a doubt and if there was a passive plasma under a grand I'd probably get it. But I had the opportunity to get this vizio and I'm happy with it considering the price I stole it with.

BTW, just watch Equilibrium (2D) on it - excellent picture, vibrant color, deep blacks, sharp as a button. Good as plasma? Maybe not but I refuse to deal with those active glasses. If you can, get the plasma. Oh, and read the Cnet review of the panny if you haven't.

Not many reviews of the vizio, but here's one.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #59 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:

My take on the active is I can't wear them comfortably over prescription glasses and they dim the picture too much. In my admittedly short trials at BB I did not notice ghosting or flickering that other people have but a lot of reviews mention it. Passive does not have the ghosting or flickering problem period. Passive does have a rather narrow viewing angle though; some reports that the 3D effect degrades above or below 15 degrees from dead center. But unless your TV is over your fireplace I don't thinks that's an issue.

Personally, I prefer passive for all the reasons I mentioned. Plasma edges out LCD without a doubt and if there was a passive plasma under a grand I'd probably get it. But I had the opportunity to get this vizio and I'm happy with it considering the price I stole it with.

BTW, just watch Equilibrium (2D) on it - excellent picture, vibrant color, deep blacks, sharp as a button. Good as plasma? Maybe not but I refuse to deal with those active glasses. If you can, get the plasma. Oh, and read the Cnet review of the panny if you haven't.

Not many reviews of the vizio, but here's one.

Thanks for your help. I read both reviews, much appreciation for the links. I think I will be getting the vizio due to the passive 3d. You state the picture is sharp and clear and the review states the same as well. I am not a videophile by any means and I don't know if I would notice things like darker blacks or things like that. I am just looking for a great picture 3d set and your opinion seems to me like this is what the vizio provides. I'm curious which tv do you prefer to watch your plasma or LCD? Is it a noticeable difference in quality or does the LCD hold it's own?
post #60 of 374 Old 06-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your help. I read both reviews, much appreciation for the links. I think I will be getting the vizio due to the passive 3d. You state the picture is sharp and clear and the review states the same as well. I am not a videophile by any means and I don't know if I would notice things like darker blacks or things like that. I am just looking for a great picture 3d set and your opinion seems to me like this is what the vizio provides. I'm curious which tv do you prefer to watch your plasma or LCD? Is it a noticeable difference in quality or does the LCD hold it's own?

I don't watch the plasma much anymore cause it's only 720P, so I got a Sony 60" rear projection LCD, then got a 40" samsung 1080P LCD as my PC monitor. The thing about LCD and plasma is that they're different, one isn't really "better" than the other - they're just different. Plasma may be "poppier" than a regular LCD but plasmas usually has glossy glass screens, LCDs look more film-like, plasmas more vibrant, run hotter and use more electricity. Again, they are different. I only have the one plasma, all the rest are LCDs. That should tell you that LCD pictures are just as impressive as plasmas; they just have different strengths. You'll be happy with the vizio picture I'm sure. My only gripe with it is as a PC monitor (and that may be just because I haven't hit the correct settings yet), other than that I'm satisfied with it's picture, it's just as good as the 40" Sammy LCD it replaced.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E3d420vx 42 Passive 3d Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page