Vizio E3D420VX - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jordan, I should have asked what TV you have now?

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

Jordan, I should have asked what TV you have now?

I have a vizio VO32LF.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Yea, either one would be a step up. I forgot one other thing to consider is the vizio is 47" vs the panny's 42. Size matters. The guy who reviewed the 47 said he thought that any size smaller than 47 doesn't do 3D justice. I kinda agree, my next 3D Tv will definatly be at least a 60." Still 47 is nice; watching "The Universe" and seeing the Sun poking out of the screen at me was pretty cool (or hot, as the case may be).

Anyway, you could almost flip a coin and be happy with either one as long as you're aware of the advantages/disadvantages of each - which I've tried to pass along being as fair as I can to each even though I lean toward the vizio myself.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Yea, either one would be a step up. I forgot one other thing to consider is the vizio is 47" vs the panny's 42. Size matters. The guy who reviewed the 47 said he thought that any size smaller than 47 doesn't do 3D justice. I kinda agree, my next 3D Tv will definatly be at least a 60." Still 47 is nice; watching "The Universe" and seeing the Sun poking out of the screen at me was pretty cool (or hot, as the case may be).

Anyway, you could almost flip a coin and be happy with either one as long as you're aware of the advantages/disadvantages of each - which I've tried to pass along being as fair as I can to each even though I lean toward the vizio myself.

I think I will be going with the Vizio. Its bigger and I like the idea of passive 3D. I also dont want to risk image retention or burn in. I see you have tried the Uncharted 3 3D trailer? How does it look? Have you tried any games in 3D as I will be using that feature. Is there any input lag when playing games? Also how are the black levels compared to your plasma? Thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan23237 View Post

I think I will be going with the Vizio. Its bigger and I like the idea of passive 3D. I also dont want to risk image retention or burn in. I see you have tried the Uncharted 3 3D trailer? How does it look? Have you tried any games in 3D as I will be using that feature. Is there any input lag when playing games? Also how are the black levels compared to your plasma? Thanks for the help

Never used the plasma for games.

Uncharted trailer was incredible. There was one scene he's running towards you down a hall. Behind and around him is a wall of water; the water surrounds him then splashes around him then in front and toward your face - very cool.

No lag, there's a "game" function. I've played Crysis 2 in 3D (PC) and it works just fine. I think that's the only game I have in 3D right now unless Killzone 3 is; I haven't started it yet, still finishing KZ 2.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Never used the plasma for games.

Uncharted trailer was incredible. There was one scene he's running towards you down a hall. Behind and around him is a wall of water; the water surrounds him then splashes around him then in front and toward your face - very cool.

No lag, there's a "game" function. I've played Crysis 2 in 3D (PC) and it works just fine. I think that's the only game I have in 3D right now unless Killzone 3 is; I haven't started it yet, still finishing KZ 2.

Yes killzone 3 is also 3d compatible. I just want to thank you for all your help. I have decided I am probably going to go with the Vizio as you stated it will be a step up in picture quality and that is what I'm looking for along with the bigger set and passive 3d. I have read forums and it seems most don't see degradation in the 3d picture and as long as that holds pretty much true I'm all in for this set. Again thanks for everything I really appreciate it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes killzone 3 is also 3d compatible. I just want to thank you for all your help. I have decided I am probably going to go with the Vizio as you stated it will be a step up in picture quality and that is what I'm looking for along with the bigger set and passive 3d. I have read forums and it seems most don't see degradation in the 3d picture and as long as that holds pretty much true I'm all in for this set. Again thanks for everything I really appreciate it.

Your welcome. I've gotten so much from this site I'm just glad I could finally give back.
I'd forgotten about the burn-in issue. Though most say today's plasmas are not as bad as years ago, I still saw it in the vizio plasma I had. It would fade after a few minutes, but....
That's why I went with LCD for gaming.
I'll be around. Let me know what you think when you get it.
Oh, I picked up Drive Angry 3D. Haven't watched it yet but will chime in when I do.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Your welcome. I've gotten so much from this site I'm just glad I could finally give back.
I'd forgotten about the burn-in issue. Though most say today's plasmas are not as bad as years ago, I still saw it in the vizio plasma I had. It would fade after a few minutes, but....
That's why I went with LCD for gaming.
I'll be around. Let me know what you think when you get it.
Oh, I picked up Drive Angry 3D. Haven't watched it yet but will chime in when I do.

I was thinking about the burn in and I feel the same way. I game alot and I just don't want to have to babysit the panel. When I get it I'll definitely let you know what I think. Yeah I would appreciate more updates (especially regarding your passive 3d experiences) and I'll do the same when I receive mine. Again thanks I appreciate it
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 PM

I took the plunge to a new E3D420VX!
Thanks for the great info so far. I am one that gets a new TV every 10-12 years. So I am glad I am enjoying what I bought. 3D was a factor in my decision but mostly price, great picture wifi, apps(get into streaming movies). I need to get a few more 3D glasses, I have seen them priced from $3 ebay to $30 amazon. Is there a difference in passive Polaroid 3D glasses that I should pay more than $3? Have you got any recommendations of where to buy?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasslands View Post

Thanks for the great info so far. I am one that gets a new TV every 10-12 years. So I am glad I am enjoying what I bought. 3D was a factor in my decision but mostly price, great picture wifi, apps(get into streaming movies). I need to get a few more 3D glasses, I have seen them priced from $3 ebay to $30 amazon. Is there a difference in passive Polaroid 3D glasses that I should pay more than $3? Have you got any recommendations of where to buy?

How do you feel about the picture quality? I was going for the Vizio but ended up buying a panasonic st30 42 inch. Got it for 730 on amazon with avatar 3d and 2 pairs of 3d glasses for free. It's just a deal I couldn't pass up especially after hearing the praise for this panel. Hope I'm satisfied with both 2d and 3d.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From what I've learned, If they're polarized and not "active" or "shutter" glasses, if they say "the same as used in theaters" or mention "real3D" then you should be fine. They also say that if you can smuggle some out of a 3D theater, then they'll work with the vizio/LG passive sets.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 06-23-2011, 04:23 AM

Liked: 35
Anyone know whether this model use an ips panel, or how are the viewing angles?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info, seems I'll have to go a 3d movie and get the kids to forget to leave the 3d glasses. Had a computer guy to my house yesterday, he was impressed with the picture quality. No problem watching from the side. Bought a Vizio 3d Blue-ray player yesterday. Remote is almost identical to the TV. I will be calling their help line to see if I can sync the tv remote to plat the 3d player.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM

The only down side to the TV so far is the info/guide on what it can do. Seems every day I learn something new and fun this thing will do. If you have something you learned about the tv, please share.
I was learned I can go to all my friends and watch their facebook photo in a slide show. So I am able to see alot of fun photos from my friends from the facebook app.

Also what is your favoriate app? So many and I have so no idea what they all do.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 AM

i was dead set on getting the Panny TC-P42S30 but with this new Vizio that has 3D i am considering doing the E3D420VX. Anybody done a comparison?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normychas View Post

i was dead set on getting the Panny TC-P42S30 but with this new Vizio that has 3D i am considering doing the E3D420VX. Anybody done a comparison?

Not directly, but the S30 does not have built in wifi (needs dongle), is not 3D ready, only 2 HDMI, no PC input. The ST30 is a much closer competitor to the vizio 42 and 47" models.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 06-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only down side to the TV so far is the info/guide on what it can do. Seems every day I learn something new and fun this thing will do. If you have something you learned about the tv, please share.
I was learned I can go to all my friends and watch their facebook photo in a slide show. So I am able to see alot of fun photos from my friends from the facebook app.

Also what is your favoriate app? So many and I have so no idea what they all do.

The local TV station widget is pretty cool; if I was from Phoenix, Nashville, Ft. Lauderdale, etc.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normychas View Post

I would also recommend you step up to the Panasonic St30. I just took the plunge on the 42 st30 on amazon. It's $720 right now and you get avatar as well as 2 pairs of 3d glasses for free. I was going to go with the Vizio but this deal was something I couldn't pass up especially after hearing all the praise for it. It is currently in CNETs top 5 TVs relating to picture quality. I will update you when I spend some time with the set.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:37 PM

The kids went out to a 3D movie at the Theater, crazy enough, they forgot to return 3 pair of the 3D glasses. So we already have enough glasses for the family. So will report on how they work on my Vizio. But need to get a 3D DVD, as I stated, bought the tv mostly for picture quality and wifi (netflix, etc..), did not figure 3D would be a feature till the 3D dvd's $$$ started to come down in a year of two. I wish to make a local club with 5 people buying 3D dvd's thus saving 80% on each movie. With all that said, if I am to buy a $30 movie for family with 10-12 yr old daughters which would be the best 3D to buy, yes, also need to impress my wife as she was not sure about a 3D tv? Thanks Tomm
Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The kids went out to a 3D movie at the Theater, crazy enough, they forgot to return 3 pair of the 3D glasses. So we already have enough glasses for the family. So will report on how they work on my Vizio. But need to get a 3D DVD, as I stated, bought the tv mostly for picture quality and wifi (netflix, etc..), did not figure 3D would be a feature till the 3D dvd's $$$ started to come down in a year of two. I wish to make a local club with 5 people buying 3D dvd's thus saving 80% on each movie. With all that said, if I am to buy a $30 movie for family with 10-12 yr old daughters which would be the best 3D to buy, yes, also need to impress my wife as she was not sure about a 3D tv? Thanks Tomm

Here's another option to buying. I haven't tried it but I've seen them mentioned in other threads.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM

WOW to the 3D picture, did a few previews on VUDU, WOW. I was using the cheap theater glasses too! Thanks for the tip on where to rent 3D movies!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 PM

Again WOW, just watched a full length 3D movie "The Robinson" kids picked it out from VUDU 3D, . It was such a great viewing experience, I was not sure what to expect, but enjoyed the quality of picture and 3D alot! Now I may have to return the 42 back to wally world and get the 47inch size. As I only buy a tv about every 10-12 years may just have to up grade before my 90 return policy is over . If you are on the fence this is a great TV even if I stay with the 42inch?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Again WOW, just watched a full length 3D movie "The Robinson" kids picked it out from VUDU 3D, . It was such a great viewing experience, I was not sure what to expect, but enjoyed the quality of picture and 3D alot! Now I may have to return the 42 back to wally world and get the 47inch size. As I only buy a tv about every 10-12 years may just have to up grade before my 90 return policy is over . If you are on the fence this is a great TV even if I stay with the 42inch?

Glad you like it. Everything I've read from 3D reviews says a bigger screen enhances the 3D effect.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM

Another Wow, the app for netflix makes the remote work just like I have a DVD playing, pause FF stop and even save and start again. Very Easy, this was the right choice for me and my family! Buy it at Wal-mart see how nice it is, return prior to 90 days if you don't think it is the coolest TV. No I don't work for Walmart or Vizio, just happy with my purchase. PS staying with the 42 inch, it has grown on my one may say.....
Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if Jordan got that Panny?

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:

I wonder if Jordan got that Panny?

I did end up going with the panny 42" st30. I got it for $700 with the free avatar 3d and 2 pair of glasses bundle. I am extremely happy with it but something inside of me still wants to try the vizio. I can get the 47 inch on amazon for $750 so I still may buy it. I actually tried the lg lw5600 after getting the panny and took the lg back as the panny was superior in almost every way. The only thing I hate about the panny is the 3d glasses. I dont know if I asked before but how are the black levels on the vizio? Are you still enjoying your set?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

I told you about those glasses! :-)
Still liking it; watched Drive Angry - outstanding 3D. Movie was good too if you like grindhouse quality flics.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:

I told you about those glasses! :-)
Still liking it; watched Drive Angry - outstanding 3D. Movie was good too if you like grindhouse quality flics.

I definitley want to give the Vizio E3D470VX a try, Im just worried if itll compete with the panny I have now. Guess Im gonna have to buy it to find out! If you game have you experienced any input lag? The LG I tried had terrible input lag.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I definitley want to give the Vizio E3D470VX a try, Im just worried if itll compete with the panny I have now. Guess Im gonna have to buy it to find out! If you game have you experienced any input lag? The LG I tried had terrible input lag.

No lag that I've noticed with PC or PS3. What I think you'll find is you prefer the panny for 2D and vizio for 3D. Just a guess.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Old 07-10-2011, 08:07 PM

Does anyone know what the media app does or how to use it?

Tags
Vizio E3d420vx 42 Passive 3d Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread