Vizio E3D420VX - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 374 Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had the television for almost a month. However, during very bright scenes I now see a faint black bar on the left hand of the screen. Upon further examination, it appears the black bar lines up with the applications that pop out on the left side. It's only really noticeable during bright scenes, but is enough to make me regret my purchase. I thought it may be burn in (do LCD even get burn in?) but never have I left he application screen open for more than a few secs.

Anyone else experience this issue? It's on the left and lines up with where the app bar would line up, goes up and down the entire screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 374 Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen17 View Post

Never mind. Out of stock everywhere. May have to try the led version...

No "ship-to-store" option?

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #213 of 374 Old 02-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

No "ship-to-store" option?

Nope. Tried Walmart and got an email about an hour later saying not available. Nobody seems to have it including Visio!
post #214 of 374 Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM

I have two questions.

First, can this tv read from an external hard drive or just a thumb drive?

Second, if it can read from an external hard drive, can it power the hard drive as well? (The hard drive I own does not have an external power supply)
post #215 of 374 Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen17 View Post

Nope. Tried Walmart and got an email about an hour later saying not available. Nobody seems to have it including Visio!

Where are you located? Here on the East Coast in NJ I show a few local stores have them in stock.
post #216 of 374 Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy_mcgee View Post

I have two questions.

Second, if it can read from an external hard drive, can it power the hard drive as well? (The hard drive I own does not have an external power supply)

don't think it can, not enough power to drive a HD.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #217 of 374 Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy_mcgee View Post

I have two questions.

Yes and Yes

I use a USB powered Hard drive to play AVI video files and MP3's on my TV.
post #218 of 374 Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 PM

Hi, I just picked up this TV tonight and I have a few questions

Apparently I am on an older firmware, is there a way to force an update or do I just have to wait until it does it on its own? (if so, how long should I expect to wait?)

Second, if I have a 3D .mp4 file, will it play the 3D from the USB drive as well, or only from Blu-Ray?
post #219 of 374 Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post

Second, if I have a 3D .mp4 file, will it play the 3D from the USB drive as well, or only from Blu-Ray?

It will play in 3D, but you will have to select 3D from the remote, then which format of 3D it is, most likely SBS, side by side.
post #220 of 374 Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post

Hi, I just picked up this TV tonight and I have a few questions

Apparently I am on an older firmware, is there a way to force an update or do I just have to wait until it does it on its own? (if so, how long should I expect to wait?)

I got mind last week and i am still waiting on the firmware update .. one Vizio tech said wait a month it will show up.. two other keep saying in 48 hours.. but they don't seem to have a process to push it to your set manually .. there support model is not the best that i can tell..one tech even said when i ask what will happen after 48 hours if i didn't get the update what the next step for them to fix the issue ? .. he said they will mail it to me once i mail them my receipt.. then i ask the five dollar question you sure about that process? he said let me check with level 4 tech.. then came back and said we don't mail them no more so just wait it will show up at some point..
post #221 of 374 Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I just bought this TV. I have a weird issue. I have the TV hooked up directly to digital cable via hdmi. This issue appears when the tv is switching resolutions. When the tv goes from either 720p or 480p to 1080i the picture looks to have lines running horizontal thru the whole screen. I have swapped the box and even swapped the tv and got another. It seemed it happened right after the firmware update. I'm running ver 1.7.2.0580. It's a E3D420VX. All other resolutions are fine, I have to cycle back and fourth from 720P to the 1080I a few times just to clear it up. Has anyone seen this? Thanks
post #222 of 374 Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
See the lines thru the bug.
LL
LL
post #223 of 374 Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post

Hi all, I just bought this TV. I have a weird issue. I have the TV hooked up directly to digital cable via hdmi. This issue appears when the tv is switching resolutions. When the tv goes from either 720p or 480p to 1080i the picture looks to have lines running horizontal thru the whole screen. I have swapped the box and even swapped the tv and got another. It seemed it happened right after the firmware update. I'm running ver 1.7.2.0580. It's a E3D420VX. All other resolutions are fine, I have to cycle back and fourth from 720P to the 1080I a few times just to clear it up. Has anyone seen this? Thanks

swapped HDMI cable? Different input? just a guess.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #224 of 374 Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 AM

I have the E3D420VX and was told by Vizio tech yesterday that the firmware for this Tv was just released on april 2nd and i should have it in 60 days.. is this true...
post #225 of 374 Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Hi all my first post here. I know this tv came out a year or so ago but I am definitely thinking of purchasing it asap as I am looking for my first hdtv and figured with the price why not get the 3d as well. Most of the reviews seem great with this tv and considering I have used an old tube tv for years I am sure the picture will blow me away. 2 quick questions how does the tv do for sports? I watch a lot of hockey and fast moving sports. People told me definitely get the 120hz and not 60 as that helps with motion and also how is the picture in the regular hd? Thanks so much.
post #226 of 374 Old 04-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydasavage View Post

Hi all my first post here. I know this tv came out a year or so ago but I am definitely thinking of purchasing it asap as I am looking for my first hdtv and figured with the price why not get the 3d as well. Most of the reviews seem great with this tv and considering I have used an old tube tv for years I am sure the picture will blow me away. 2 quick questions how does the tv do for sports? I watch a lot of hockey and fast moving sports. People told me definitely get the 120hz and not 60 as that helps with motion and also how is the picture in the regular hd? Thanks so much.

I don't watch a huge amount of sports, mostly football, but have no complaints. 120 will smooth things out, but I'm not that impressed with the vizio's implementation. I have a Sony kds60a3000 that is also 120 and I can easily get the "video effect" with it. But not with the vizio (the 47" in any case).
If you're moving from a tube to HD for the first time, you'll indeed be blown away. Not sure what you mean though about "regular HD." HD is HD, there is no "regular" and "super HD" or anything else other than 720 and 1080 of course. If this is indeed your first HD set, you might want to read up on it some more so you don't have unrealistic expectations.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #227 of 374 Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:

I don't watch a huge amount of sports, mostly football, but have no complaints. 120 will smooth things out, but I'm not that impressed with the vizio's implementation. I have a Sony kds60a3000 that is also 120 and I can easily get the "video effect" with it. But not with the vizio (the 47" in any case).
If you're moving from a tube to HD for the first time, you'll indeed be blown away. Not sure what you mean though about "regular HD." HD is HD, there is no "regular" and "super HD" or anything else other than 720 and 1080 of course. If this is indeed your first HD set, you might want to read up on it some more so you don't have unrealistic expectations.

Thank you for the response. I definitely should have worded my post better but I was excited as I ordered the tv lol. I just meant I know the tv is 3d so is the 2d still high quality compared to other just 2d tvs without the 3d. I will have the tv soon and can;t wait. Thanks again.
post #228 of 374 Old 04-22-2012, 03:11 PM

Hey I've been noticing that I have some vertical wavy lines when my screen is either light gray or light blue, like sky blue, but when it's white, they don't appear. Here is what it looks like:

Any ideas? Is this normal? What is the cause of this? Is this just due to the nature of CCFL backlighting?
post #229 of 374 Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Hi,

I recently bought this TV a couple days ago; I also owned the E422VL which had DLNA support to stream media from my PC. Does anybody know if the E3D420VX supports DLNA and if so how to get it to work? Previously when I clicked on Media with the E422VL it would show DLNA1:{my computer} and I was able to stream video, music and photos from my PC; it does not show this on the new E3D420VX. Is it possible this may be included in a firmware update?

Looking on Vizio's site it does say it is supported:

E3D420VX with Product Number 10235353022

but it does not say anything about firmware versions. I have 1.33.2.0937.

Thanks!
post #230 of 374 Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywc View Post

Hi,

I recently bought this TV a couple days ago; I also owned the E422VL which had DLNA support to stream media from my PC. Does anybody know if the E3D420VX supports DLNA and if so how to get it to work? Previously when I clicked on Media with the E422VL it would show DLNA1:{my computer} and I was able to stream video, music and photos from my PC; it does not show this on the new E3D420VX. Is it possible this may be included in a firmware update?

Looking on Vizio's site it does say it is supported:

E3D420VX with Product Number 10235353022

but it does not say anything about firmware versions. I have 1.33.2.0937.

Thanks!

Firmware updates will give it some more features but as of right now no DLNA support without extra hardware like a PS3 or WDTV Live. Your system will automatically update over the next couple days. I think it downloads when it's off. That's when mine seemed to update.
post #231 of 374 Old 04-25-2012, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydasavage View Post

Thank you for the response. I definitely should have worded my post better but I was excited as I ordered the tv lol. I just meant I know the tv is 3d so is the 2d still high quality compared to other just 2d tvs without the 3d. I will have the tv soon and can;t wait. Thanks again.

Oh, yea! 2D is just as good as the samsung that it replaced. You'll like it, especially at the price point.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #232 of 374 Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermg View Post

Hey I've been noticing that I have some vertical wavy lines when my screen is either light gray or light blue, like sky blue, but when it's white, they don't appear. Here is what it looks like:

Any ideas? Is this normal? What is the cause of this? Is this just due to the nature of CCFL backlighting?

Just guessing here but I'm thinking it's the 3D polarizing film. Hard to tell as the picture wasn't of a very high resolution, fairly small on my 47" vizio.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #233 of 374 Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermg View Post

Firmware updates will give it some more features but as of right now no DLNA support without extra hardware like a PS3 or WDTV Live. Your system will automatically update over the next couple days. I think it downloads when it's off. That's when mine seemed to update.

Thanks for the reply! No update yet - it's been a few days but hopefully soon. I am confused that DLNA is not supported even though it explicitly says on Vizio's website that it is and it's on the E422VL. Darn - I really liked that feature and may have to return the E3D420VX if it's not supported.

Oh well - thanks again!
post #234 of 374 Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 AM

Hey everyone. I just bought this TV 2 days ago and I have had nothing but headaches. Just wanted to see if any of you had similar issues or could help me maybe fix this?

I picked the TV up on Tuesday got it home set it up and went through the first setup connecting to wifi etc... Once it got to watching tv I could not adjust the volume but everything else worked fine. I turned it off and back and and I could adjust the volume but only for the first 10 seconds after power on. After that I can't adjust the volume at all, but again everything else works fine.

Long story short after many resets I finally returned the TV and get a new one (same model) and guess what? I'm having the exact same issue.

So what I'm seeing is after 10 seconds of the TV being on I can't adjust the volume from the remote, or the buttons on the TV. I also can't mute the TV or get into the menu, but like I said everything else works fine. I can turn the tv on or off, I can get to the VIA apps.

Any thoughts?
post #235 of 374 Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin86 View Post

Hey everyone. I just bought this TV 2 days ago and I have had nothing but headaches. Just wanted to see if any of you had similar issues or could help me maybe fix this?

I picked the TV up on Tuesday got it home set it up and went through the first setup connecting to wifi etc... Once it got to watching tv I could not adjust the volume but everything else worked fine. I turned it off and back and and I could adjust the volume but only for the first 10 seconds after power on. After that I can't adjust the volume at all, but again everything else works fine.

Long story short after many resets I finally returned the TV and get a new one (same model) and guess what? I'm having the exact same issue.

So what I'm seeing is after 10 seconds of the TV being on I can't adjust the volume from the remote, or the buttons on the TV. I also can't mute the TV or get into the menu, but like I said everything else works fine. I can turn the tv on or off, I can get to the VIA apps.

Any thoughts?

Did you return the remote along with the TV. Change the batteries? Pointing at the correct place on the set (left side opposite power light)? Try a cheap universal remote? Just some thoughts...

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #236 of 374 Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM

I'm thinking of getting the 47" as a replacement for my 32" westinghouse. 2 questions:

1. I've read that the blacks arent quite as deep as other sets. Is this really a big deal? How far off is it?

2. How does it compare to an LG 47LD590C, which is about $100 more?
post #237 of 374 Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 PM

How do I get into the service menu?
post #238 of 374 Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett424 View Post

I'm thinking of getting the 47" as a replacement for my 32" westinghouse. 2 questions:

1. I've read that the blacks arent quite as deep as other sets. Is this really a big deal? How far off is it?

2. How does it compare to an LG 47LD590C, which is about $100 more?

Can't answer #2 but for question 1 here's some screenshots I made from Casino Royale playing on the E3d47 so you can judge for yourself.
LL
LL
LL

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #239 of 374 Old 05-15-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Can't answer #2 but for question 1 here's some screenshots I made from Casino Royale playing on the E3d47 so you can judge for yourself.

Thanks for posting the photos! It does look a little light but no where near as bad a some have made it out to be in some of the reviews I've read. I had a look at one in action today at wally's and the black looked ok by my eyes.
post #240 of 374 Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett424 View Post

Thanks for posting the photos! It does look a little light but no where near as bad a some have made it out to be in some of the reviews I've read. I had a look at one in action today at wally's and the black looked ok by my eyes.

Agreed. Unless someone posts their settings or photos along with the claims how can you really know?

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E3d420vx 42 Passive 3d Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page