post #241 of 374 Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett424 View Post

Thanks for posting the photos! It does look a little light but no where near as bad a some have made it out to be in some of the reviews I've read. I had a look at one in action today at wally's and the black looked ok by my eyes.

When I first got my set in Jan, the first thing I noticed was the black wasn't as black as my previous 32" Vizio was.

Now after having it for awhile and dialling-in the settings more, I never even give it a thought. Maybe if I'm watching some 4x3 content the side bars show the black level shortcomings, but not in everyday viewing.

But of course ymmv, as I watch mainly in a lit room, not in darkness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 374 Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Check your local Target. They're clearing out vizio passive 3D glasses for $13. Look in the clearance endcaps at/near electronics.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #243 of 374 Old 05-20-2012, 07:34 PM

Liked: 10
Target is clearing out this TV too. I got the last one at my store the other day for a huge discount.

I believe it's compatible with the RealD polarized glasses you get at some theaters, so that's probably where I'll go to pick up additional pairs. The converse should also be true... you could take your own pair of Vizio glasses to a theater.
post #244 of 374 Old 05-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Hello All. I recently got this tv and am trying to play some 3d games on my pc as described in this thread. However, whenever I start a 3d game, "Game mode" on the tv turns off, and I there is major lag when trying to play. The tv will not let me switch game mode back on until after I quit the game...even if I switch to 2d mode. What the heck is going on? How do I enable this option while viewing 3d content?
post #245 of 374 Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultdotxbe View Post

Hi, I just picked up this TV tonight and I have a few questions

Apparently I am on an older firmware, is there a way to force an update or do I just have to wait until it does it on its own? (if so, how long should I expect to wait?)

Second, if I have a 3D .mp4 file, will it play the 3D from the USB drive as well, or only from Blu-Ray?

well i FINALLY got the update a few days ago, vizio really needs a better distribution model. oh well, ive been loving the TV without the update. one thing though, didnt someone say the update added a youtube app? ive been unable to find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidpointer View Post

I believe it's compatible with the RealD polarized glasses you get at some theaters, so that's probably where I'll go to pick up additional pairs. The converse should also be true... you could take your own pair of Vizio glasses to a theater.

it is. ive used some therater glasses with the TV. this TV uses the same technology as LG's "Theater 3D" line, which in turn uses the same tech as Real3D theaters
post #246 of 374 Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:

well i FINALLY got the update a few days ago, vizio really needs a better distribution model. oh well, ive been loving the TV without the update. one thing though, didnt someone say the update added a youtube app? ive been unable to find it

it is. ive used some therater glasses with the TV. this TV uses the same technology as LG's "Theater 3D" line, which in turn uses the same tech as Real3D theaters

The YouTube app must be downloaded from the 'market.'
post #247 of 374 Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUNolez336 View Post

The YouTube app must be downloaded from the 'market.'

i checked the yahoo app store thing but didnt see it, is there somewhere else?

not a big deal though, i get most of my 3D from other sources anyway
post #248 of 374 Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a setting to reverse the left/right in a SBS 3D movie?
post #249 of 374 Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post

Is there a setting to reverse the left/right in a SBS 3D movie?

turn the glasses upside down? lol

nothing ive seen on the TV, maybe a software player on your PC like Bino or something
post #250 of 374 Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

turn the glasses upside down? lol

nothing ive seen on the TV, maybe a software player on your PC like Bino or something

Thanks for the reply!!

Yea thats how I noticed the left/right was reversed. Turned the glasses upside down.

I was just hoping their was a menu setting I somehow missed. I'm using Plex as my media client and haven't found a setting their either.
post #251 of 374 Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Question for you E3D420VX or E3D470VX users - when using the media app and attaching an external source through the usb connection, what format does your video files need to be in to play (both the audio and video coded)?

I'm trying to play some ripped 3D movies and having luck on some and none on some others with no apparent difference between them. I've played some 3D SBS ripped IMAX files in the MP4 format that will play fine but it won't take any of my full feature length movies in the 3D SBS MP4 format. It gives me a not supported video codec and not supported audio codec error.

I contacted Vizio support and they said it should play video files in the MOV, AVI and MP4 formats. When asked about the audio codec, support seemed unsure and told me H.264. That doesn't seem right to me.

I'm thinking it's having trouble with the audio portion. Any tips on which format you use?
post #252 of 374 Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwizdavid View Post

Question for you E3D420VX or E3D470VX users - when using the media app and attaching an external source through the usb connection, what format does your video files need to be in to play (both the audio and video coded)?
I'm trying to play some ripped 3D movies and having luck on some and none on some others with no apparent difference between them. I've played some 3D SBS ripped IMAX files in the MP4 format that will play fine but it won't take any of my full feature length movies in the 3D SBS MP4 format. It gives me a not supported video codec and not supported audio codec error.
I contacted Vizio support and they said it should play video files in the MOV, AVI and MP4 formats. When asked about the audio codec, support seemed unsure and told me H.264. That doesn't seem right to me.
I'm thinking it's having trouble with the audio portion. Any tips on which format you use?

There's an earlier post where a couple of users were trying out different formats. Here. Let us know what you find out.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #253 of 374 Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 AM

Hey guys quick question I just got this tv and had the worst trouble connectiing to the internet apparently it doesnt support routers with WEP encryption. Aside from that I have everything working the way I want to aside from YouTube. Videos are very choppy and I have it connected through the ethernet cable. Also I cannot view certain videos It says this video is not avalible for a lot of videos is there a work around this? Kind of annyoing only having half the videos and not being able to play music videos on my tv i dont understand why they would block them if they are....... thanks for you help in advanved
post #254 of 374 Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumdada View Post

Hey guys quick question I just got this tv and had the worst trouble connectiing to the internet apparently it doesnt support routers with WEP encryption. Aside from that I have everything working the way I want to aside from YouTube. Videos are very choppy and I have it connected through the ethernet cable. Also I cannot view certain videos It says this video is not avalible for a lot of videos is there a work around this? Kind of annyoing only having half the videos and not being able to play music videos on my tv i dont understand why they would block them if they are....... thanks for you help in advanved

My router is WEP and works fine. You also say that "everything working the way I want aside from Youtube." You mean all other vizio apps work, vudu, amazon, etc.? If so, then it's not the router, it's the vizio's youtube app.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #255 of 374 Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 PM

I recently purchased the 47" version and unfortunately when in 3D, game mode was completely locked out (greyed out, unselectable after spending a day tinkering and 2 hours on the phone with Vizio). Obviously, I was playing games in 3D, and without the game mode the lag was gamebreaking. So I returned the TV.

However, owners of the 42" version don't seem to have this problem! So, I'm wondering if it was just my TV, or can you folks with the 47" model enable game mode while in 3D?

Thanks! smile.gif
post #256 of 374 Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 AM

I cannot get my PS3 to work on this TV. It will work when I connect with AV input, but not with HDMI. I have changed the display settings on the PS3 as well. Please help!!
post #257 of 374 Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobusaki View Post

I recently purchased the 47" version and unfortunately when in 3D, game mode was completely locked out (greyed out, unselectable after spending a day tinkering and 2 hours on the phone with Vizio). Obviously, I was playing games in 3D, and without the game mode the lag was gamebreaking. So I returned the TV.
However, owners of the 42" version don't seem to have this problem! So, I'm wondering if it was just my TV, or can you folks with the 47" model enable game mode while in 3D?
Thanks! smile.gif

Nope. Game mode is disable on the 47"

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #258 of 374 Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Does this have a combined or separate composite & component inputs?

The web site & data sheet show combined, the owners manual show separate.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #259 of 374 Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 109
They are separate. I'm using this TV as a computer monitor. smile.gif
post #260 of 374 Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What do you mean they are separate?? This is the same model number I'm talking about. Which panel does this have?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #261 of 374 Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

My E3D420VX has separate component and composite inputs.
post #262 of 374 Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, separate inputs, I thought you were talking about the two panels.

Anyone else??

post #263 of 374 Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin86 View Post

I picked the TV up on Tuesday got it home set it up and went through the first setup connecting to wifi etc... Once it got to watching tv I could not adjust the volume but everything else worked fine. I turned it off and back and and I could adjust the volume but only for the first 10 seconds after power on. After that I can't adjust the volume at all, but again everything else works fine.

So what I'm seeing is after 10 seconds of the TV being on I can't adjust the volume from the remote, or the buttons on the TV. I also can't mute the TV or get into the menu, but like I said everything else works fine. I can turn the tv on or off, I can get to the VIA apps.

I am having the same issue except its not just the volume that isn't working: I can't get to the menu, change inputs, change channels - the only button that works on the remote after about 10-20 seconds of the TV being turned on is the 'V' apps button. All the apps seem to work except the Settings app. However, when using Netflix (for example) none of the function buttons work (Pause, Play, rewind/ff, etc.)

The Remote is not the issue, because the physical buttons on the side of the TV do not work either once this happens.

I am a software tester by trade, and this has the feel of a software issue - as if the program that controls these functions locks up or crashes. The only way to them working again is to turn the TV off then back on again (ha!), but then the same thing happens,

Is there any way to update the firmware on the e3d470vx?

Thanks.
post #264 of 374 Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Vizio customer support told me that the firmware updates are automatically sent out to the TVs...you cannot "force" an update to take place. You should contact them to see if your TV is running the most current firmware because if it is then the unit may be defective.
post #265 of 374 Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Vizio customer support told me that the firmware updates are automatically sent out to the TVs
That's assuming the TV has a Ethernet connection, it is connected and active.

post #266 of 374 Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM

So walked through troubleshooting steps with tech support. Turns out the culprit is my router or some setting therein. Whenever the TV was connected to the router - wired or wireless - it would lock up. Totally disconnected it works fine. So I need to either figure out what setting in the router is causing the issue and change it, or get a new router if I want to use the TV's Internet apps... :-\

My router is a Belkin N600DB, btw.
post #267 of 374 Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM

I just bought this TV today from Sams for $600. So far its great. That said, I just discovered this thread and I am curious on what everyone thinks about it after owning it for 1+ years. Are you still happy? Does anyone have recommendations on settings for standard viewing? I played around with the different presets, "Normal" is a bit yellow, "Game" was whiter, "Vivid" is to bright, but the "Custom" looked pretty decent on the default settings. I haven't played with 3D yet, I bought the TV mainly for the price, size, and WiFi apps. Sams has a nice 30 day return policy so it gives me some time to play with it. Lastly, can the remote be programmed to change the channels on a Motorola DVR?
post #268 of 374 Old 10-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 View Post

I just bought this TV today from Sams for $600. So far its great. That said, I just discovered this thread and I am curious on what everyone thinks about it after owning it for 1+ years. Are you still happy? Does anyone have recommendations on settings for standard viewing? I played around with the different presets, "Normal" is a bit yellow, "Game" was whiter, "Vivid" is to bright, but the "Custom" looked pretty decent on the default settings. I haven't played with 3D yet, I bought the TV mainly for the price, size, and WiFi apps. Sams has a nice 30 day return policy so it gives me some time to play with it. Lastly, can the remote be programmed to change the channels on a Motorola DVR?

Start here and then adjust to your liking.
Backlight: 68
Brightness: 61
Contrast: 58
Color: 60
Tint: 1
Sharpness: 0

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #269 of 374 Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I'm interseted in this set mainly because it's LCD and not LED. I can't stand flashlighitng/backlight bleed/clouding. Does this set have any of those issues? How is the motion resolution? Any juddering/stuttering? Is there any S.O.E. to this set when the motion settings are cranked up to max? Thank you in advance.
post #270 of 374 Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I'm interseted in this set mainly because it's LCD and not LED. I can't stand flashlighitng/backlight bleed/clouding. Does this set have any of those issues? How is the motion resolution? Any juddering/stuttering? Is there any S.O.E. to this set when the motion settings are cranked up to max? Thank you in advance.

This is a good set for the price but this is still a "discount" TV, so yes, you will see bleeding and some banding, and some juddering. If you don't want that then you're going to have to spend much more. For me, it's a cheap 3D TV - but it does what it does, warts and all, at a great price.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E3d420vx 42 Passive 3d Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page