AVS Forum banner
126K views 373 replies 110 participants last post by  SteveHas 
#1 ·
I have been patiently waiting for the 65 inch samsung D8000 to come out, but it looks like mid to late summer. I am watching a 37 inch olevia that is 6 years old, is 720p and has a contrast ratio of 1500:1. I think at the price for this new vizio, it might just be a good stop gap until the big sammy comes out. Can move it to my bed room when I get the bigger set, and I'm thinking of outright retiring the olevia (it was actually a pretty good set for the time and has never failed me)

#2 ·
Amazon has it for preorder but may be 1 to two months till you get it. Some are reporting them appearing in the back of walmarts for purchase. I'm waiting till more reviews come out, there is one on amazon that's promising.

I'm not expecting a perfect tv, its lacking leds, 2d to 3d, and 1mil+ contrast. But with such a low price and wifi apps as long as there isn't any huge issues I may buy when available.

The 2d upgrade alone to 42 inch, 1080p, and 200k contrast will blow my old tv and yours out of the water without burning a hole in the wallet. I've really been interested in the lg 47lw5600 but it costs twice as much, I'd rather spend it on pricey 3d games and movies.

#3 ·
Was at my Walmart yesterday and they had the E3D420VX for sale and on display with the other TV's. They carried the the 32" and 47" too. They also had some new Vizio LED's (M420SV, M470SV). I so tempted to buy one right then but decided to wait for some reviews too.

#4 ·
The amazon order page has a couple of favorable customer reviews and the reviewers have been really good about answering questions. They picked their sets up at walmart over the last week. I am very interested in the 42 inch set to replace a 32 inch Dell, yes Dell, Tv in our main room. I want to order from amazon, but really want to see this in action. I have been extremely impressed with the 55 inch LG passive TV that I have demoed a couple of times at Best Buy. If anyone picks one of these up and can post impressions it would greatly be appreciated.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVideo View /forum/post/20371046

I MAY be on my way to Walmart tomorrow to pick one of these bad boys up. From what I've read, this looks like it may be a great value for me and my family. If not tomorrow, SOON to be purchased.

Well, I went and did it. I purchased this at Walmart this afternoon. I have not yet tried out every feature, BUT.... I do know this. The e3d420vx is one fantastic TV. I am not even going to include the phrase: FOR THE PRICE. In my opinion, that phrase would not do justice to this purchase. This is one very nice television.

I love it... More later.

#9 ·
I bought one two weeks ago and absolutely love it. I am still amazed by the 3d this set generates with just the passive glasses, we are up to seven pairs including some kids sizes, love the fact that the glasses from the theater work with this. Please note that I did have to return my first set, because of defective application of the 3d filter material which left a visible line in the middle of the picture. I had no issue returning the tv and the new one has no such lines. I have put this thing through the paces by watching 3d via directv (IMAX docs on 3net for the win), 3d blurays, and games via both the ps3 and xbox. It all works great with little to no ghosting or crosstalk. Despicable Me last night has been the best thing we have watched yet, but parts of Tron were way up there and I am surprised by how much I have enjoyed 3 d gaming.

The biggest surprise with the tv though is the integration of the apps. Vizio has done a great job with wifi built in and the apps are useful and can be viewed in split screen mode while watching regular TV. The accuweather app even has a radar view and the streaming from amazon was top notch, directv still has not added amc hd, so this will become my defacto way of catching those shows.

I am extremely pleased, please ask questions if you have them, but this set appears to be a winner. Also there is a good review on amazon with comments that has 40 or so comments and tons of info.

#10 ·
I purchased the Vizio E3D420XV yesterday. I was surprised at how light the tv was. It weighs 40 lbs., which made it very easy to remove from the box, lay flat on the couch, attach the stand, and set upright for use. The linear dimensions taken from the Vizio website are:

With Stand: 40.2"W x 27.6"H x 9.0"D

Without Stand: 40.2"W x 25.9"H x 3.3"D

Packaging Dimensions: 45.1"W x 32.3"H x 7.4"D

This tv offers a 3d picture, SRS Studio Sound HD and SRS TruVolume audio. It has 3 HDMI inputs. I wish it had 4! Ouch!

After connecting my A/V components and turning on the television, it asked me for some very basic information and looked for my internet connection via wifi. It also has an ethernet cable port, so a person could use that to connect the tv to the internet as well. All told, I was all set up and watching locals off of my over the air antenna in about 5 minutes. It was really that easy.

Out of the box, I found the picture colors to be quite accurate. The flesh tones were spot on, which I was very pleased to see. It produced a vibrant HD picture, where images jumped off the screen at me. I then switched over to Directv and found the same thing. I'm going to use a calibration cd on this tv, so it's going to be interesting to see how it measures up out of the box to where the final video settings end up being.

I have also popped in our Despicable Me 3d movie, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Up to this point, I wasn't too sure how I felt about 3D creeping into the market these days. But now, I say, "Bring it on." This tv's 3D image is really nice! Fantastic in fact. The purchase of this product provided along with the television 2 3D glasses. They worked perfectly! And now, I'm going to have to go out and purchase a couple more pair of those glasses. I think I can handle that at about $1.00 each!

Further, this tv has kind of a different remote. On one side it has the typical remote buttons. But if you flip it over, there isn't the usual smooth backside. The flip side offers a qwerty keyboard, which is used to type in information within the tv's menu and is also used in conjunction with the various apps provided via the internet through the tv.

When I pressed menu on the remote, I found the following categories: 3D, Wide, CC, Sleep Timer, Picture, Audio, Network, Settings, and Help. I found the menu and the settings contained within to be very straight forward and easy to adjust.

The most interesting item found as I looked around within in the menu categories was"Lip Sync." I had never seen a television offer this before! It adjusts the words spoken by a person on the tv to their lips. How nice!

Now I don't know much about Apps as supplied by televisions, but I do know that I really liked what I saw. There is a Netflix app, plus Pandora, ebay, Blockbuster, Yahoo News, Rhapsody, flickr, Vudu, Yahoo Weather, Hulu, and more! I've never had a tv that offered something like this before, so I'm going to have fun exploring these.

Overall, my final conclusion is that I love this tv. I'm excited about owning it. I highly recommend it.

#11 ·
Just bought an E3D420VX at Walmart. Set up like a breeze, streaming Netflix, using the apps... it's got a great picture, and it's a very cool TV.

I've watched a bunch of 3d stuff too, and I'm also impressed with the quality of the passive 3d.

On movies that are set up in SBS, it works like a dream. My only problem (and kind of a big one) is this: when a show is in TB mode, the 3d effect is inverted, that is to say, the objects which are supposed to be in the foreground are set back into the picture, while the objects in the background appear closer. I know, weird. Even weirder is, when I flip my glasses so that the left and right eyes are reversed, the 3D is perfect. I watched a UFC fight and Tron:Legacy that way, and although I looked like a freak, both programs looked great.

Am I some kind of noob loser and missing something?

#12 ·
Is there a setting in the menu for left/right swap (some brands call it "picture correction".) This should fix it, you should never have to wear your glasses upside down.

What you are seeing is called psuedo stereo and it occasionally happens in theaters who have the polarizing screen installed incorrectly. It's happened to me twice locally, the only to watch 3-D correctly was to wear the glasses upside down until they fixed it. You can imagine that most of the audience was unaware and probably just thought the 3-D was bad.

#16 ·
Haha GoatLantern, well to be honest my wife spurred the purchase because of the Royal Wedding, but I nudged us towards this model for the 3D and Internet apps... I was looking forward to seeing TRON: Legacy in 3D, but I was underwhelmed. Avatar, on the other hand, is 3D-licious... I was blown away. We're showing it to everyone who comes over, resulting in many dropped jaws.

I AM looking forward to the Green Lantern tho, if that's what you're askin'!

#17 ·
UPDATE 5/5 Issue Resolved!

The suggestions from Vizio Tech worked, and all of the T/B 3D programs that were coming ou
t inverted are playing fine and look great now.

The SYSTEM RESET seems to have been the step that really did the trick.

So now I'm free to totally love this TV without reservation!

Quote:
I emailed Vizio about the issue. Here's what they sent me:

Quote:
I would recommend performing a power cycle on your TV. Please follow the steps in this order:

1- Power off TV

2- Unplug TV from outlet

3- Press and hold in the power button on the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)

4- Release the power button

5- Plug in the TV into a different outlet

6- Power the TV back on

There is also a factory reset option in your menu under the SETUP section. It will say either "reset all settings" or "system reset". I would recommend this option as well.

If this does not resolve your problem please contact our technical support when you are in front of the TV and are able to further troubleshoot.

Sounds like a stock answer, but I'm gonna try it tonight and I'll report back to let you guys know how it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. /forum/post/20389293

Is there a setting in the menu for left/right swap (some brands call it "picture correction".) This should fix it, you should never have to wear your glasses upside down.

What you are seeing is called psuedo stereo and it occasionally happens in theaters who have the polarizing screen installed incorrectly. It's happened to me twice locally, the only to watch 3-D correctly was to wear the glasses upside down until they fixed it. You can imagine that most of the audience was unaware and probably just thought the 3-D was bad.

#18 ·
Hi, I just picked up the e3d420vx from Walmart this weekend. I'm not new to HDTV but this is my first at home, and I'm wondering about the picture quality relating to, from what I understand, is the 120Hz feature. I definitely notice the BBC-like quality of the image (kinda fake looking) both when I watched a movie and also when I watch either sitcoms or dramas on tv, it's very distracting. Sports and reality tv shows look great. So a few questions:

1) Is this because of the 120Hz refresh rate?

2) Is there a setting to adjust this or do something about this? I've read that some HDTVs have a setting to drop it to 60Hz.

3) Is this something that is bothersome to anyone else?

I've watched a lot of movies/tv on an older HD that must have been 60Hz and it looked just the same quality as watching on non-HD. This is the first time I've watched any tv/movies on a 120Hz HDTV. I've read some about this issue but didn't think it would bother me that much, and it's surprising because it seems 120Hz HDTVs are becoming the standard now.

Thanks for any input!

#19 ·
I had the same issue, and it was driving me crazy too... it's adjustable by going to MENU> PICTURE> MORE (the arrow after all the options, beneath "Sharpness")> ADVANCED PICTURE> SMOOTH MOTION EFFECT. This is the culprit, and you can safely switch it OFF to watch stuff without all that weird motion funny business.

Hope that helps! Enjoy the TV... and dig the 3d!

#20 ·
Thanks, HalJordan23! I was missing where that setting was. I turned it off and it helped a lot with that BBC/video look when I tested with a few shows. Do you keep it on or off mostly? I'm wondering when it would be helpful to have on, for sports or video content?

Thanks

#24 ·
No, Hal, I haven't been able to try 3D yet. Didn't realize til I hooked it up Saturday that I didn't have an HDMI cable for my ps3 ... as well as that my cable box from wonderful Comcast doesn't have an HDMI outlet. So maybe by this weekend I'll be able to try a 3D dvd or check out espn3d.

AVideo View, that would be great to see what settings the calibration dvd has you change to.

#25 ·
Bought the 32" model yesterday. Was very impressed with the quality of the 3D picture while watching Tangled.

Also, very impressed by the internet apps. Pretty cool to be able to see a slideshow of your Facebook photos with a few clicks of the remote!

Only slight complaint is that the buttons on the remote are small and need to be pushed firmly to register.

Other than that, great tv!

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyu /forum/post/20426457

Bought the 32" model yesterday. Was very impressed with the quality of the 3D picture while watching Tangled.

Also, very impressed by the internet apps. Pretty cool to be able to see a slideshow of your Facebook photos with a few clicks of the remote!

Only slight complaint is that the buttons on the remote are small and need to be pushed firmly to register.

Other than that, great tv!

Hi. Where did you buy yours? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.